PDA

View Full Version : Help with port forwarding... (xbox 360)

Kontra_Bandit
Oct 29, 2006, 03:59 PM
I'm sort of a noob with networking, but hopefully you will understand what I am trying to do:

I had problems with software on my computer that was fixed by setting up port forwarding. I found out what port the program was using (set it to 6881, azureus), went to the router setup and used port forwarding by entering in my pc's network ip(?) 192.168.1.7 and used the port range that covers the software.

Now, since the xbox is a totally different system, does it use ports?? For instance, what I be able to figure out which port PSU uses then do the same setup with the ip my router assigns my xbox?

My overall problem is a NAT error I guess, and that was my problem with Azureus and this completely solved it.

I can't hear certain players and every one has a ridiculously stupid looking run animation. They run, stop, run, stop, run, stop but keep up with me perfectly somehow, so it has to be some sort of network problem.

I hope this makes sense and I REALLY hope someone can shine some light on this for me. Thank you so much!

EDIT: This helped A LOT.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

Most broadband routers use Network Address Translation (NAT). Windows Internet Connection Sharing also uses NAT.

For most devices that use NAT, port forwarding is not required to connect to Xbox Live. This is especially true if you use an Xbox Live certified device. Port forwarding should only be needed if you use a proxy server or a true firewall device instead of, or in addition to a NAT. Sometimes, you may have to configure port settings on a non Xbox Live certified router or gateway.

If there is a firewall device between the Xbox console and the network device, you may have to configure the firewall to enable communication on specific network ports. If the NAT status in the Network Status area of the Dashboard is "moderate" or "strict," you may have to configure port settings.

The following ports must be available for Xbox Live to operate correctly:
• UDP 88
• UDP 3074
• TCP 3074
For information about how to configure port settings on a firewall, router, or gateway, see the documentation that came with the device. If you are using an Xbox Live certified device, and the NAT status in the Network Status area of the Dashboard is "Moderate" or "strict," verify that the device has the correct firmware. For information about Xbox Live certified devices, including the correct firmware version for the device, visit the following Xbox Web site:

Edit 2: HURRAAAYY!!!

I setup port forwarding for my xbox which its IP happened to be 192.168.1.1

I opened UDP ports in range, 80-89 and a separate one of 3070-3079. I then opened TDP ports 3070-3079 and this jumped my NAT from moderate to open. XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kontra_Bandit on 2006-10-29 13:02 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kontra_Bandit on 2006-10-29 13:13 ]</font>

A2K
Oct 29, 2006, 09:36 PM
Glad to see you fixed your own problem.

One further suggestion is to set a static IP for the Xbox 360. When you set up port forwarding on your router, it's probably best to set a static IP for the devices that those ports are being forwarded to. Normally, IPs are automatically assigned, and this can cause problems if the device logs in and receives a totally different IP than the one you're forwarding those ports to.