PDA

View Full Version : 1280 x 1024 max resolution?! No widescreen?!

Soundfx4
Oct 30, 2006, 01:59 AM
There were two things that grabbed my attention almost immediately when I installed PSU, and those two things were the 1280 x 1024 resolution and apparently no wide screen support. I did a quick Google search but found nothing. So I'm here now, both hoping and praying that someone here will tell me two things;

1: this game supports wide screen and this is how you enable it, <insert instructions here>

2: you can get the resolution higher then 1280 x 1024, all you have to do is <insert instructions here>

of course you can word it any way you want, I just wand someone to tell me it can be done and how to do it.

(I'm pretty nervous though as I'm almost positive someone is going to tell me that it can't be done, which is most likely the truth. And the truth REALLY does hurt)

Inazuma
Oct 30, 2006, 04:05 AM
its totally unbelievable and horribly stupid, but its the truth. i was just as shocked as you when i installed mine.

*edit* oh almost forgot to mention, there is no 5.1 audio support. if you have 5.1 speakers, you need to change your speaker settings to 2.1 or else the sound wont be right. -_-;

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Inazuma on 2006-10-30 01:07 ]</font>

SirEldest
Oct 30, 2006, 11:12 AM
There is 5.1 audio support. My game seems to play the sounds correctly. When I am standting infornt of some, the sounds seems to only come from behind me.

About the widescreen, it seems to not make my char look fat. So I think it can detect if the monitor is in widescreen.

Sadly tho, there is no way to make the resolution higher. I checked the registry and the .ini files. All it says is a number 4 for the resolution. That means that the resolution is built into the .exe

rpgposer
Oct 30, 2006, 11:19 AM
Sadly, there is no widescreen support. You can tell your videocard to strectch the image, but it does deform the characters a bit. It's not too bad, though. I am playing 1280x960 with no stretch right now. It's acceptable.
I am not sure about dolby 5.1 yet. From with PSU, there is a setting for 'Stereo' and 'Mono'. I have heard that if you have the setting set on 'Stereo' it outputs dolby 5.1. Haven't had the time to move my rear speakers into position to test it yet.

Inazuma
Oct 30, 2006, 01:08 PM
ok, after trying different options w/ psu and my speakers, i got the 5.1 to work. wow, i wish i knew about this earlier!

i have to set my speakers to 6 Ch Direct for it to work properly. (^_^)

Blitzkommando
Oct 30, 2006, 02:20 PM
I've played another game that didn't support widescreen but through a bit of searching, and waiting, there was a guy who made a program that would modify the launch of the game to output to whatever resolution you wanted. It would stretch text and the like, but everything else was rendered in the correct ratios. That game was Need for Speed Most Wanted. I'm assuming a similar trick could be made to PSU either through that method, or some others that I am brainstorming right now. Unfortunately, I can't make any good guesses or progress until I have the game myself. If I do find some way to do it, expect to see the method posted in the forums. I doubt any method will work, but I will try nonetheless.

Soundfx4
Oct 30, 2006, 03:53 PM
well shit! Now I wish I hadn't purchased this game. Seriously, what is wrong with sega? There has to be some reason they did this, but what is it? I can't understand what their motivation could have been. If the game was developed and then ported to different systems then that means that including widescreen support for the PC and even for the PS2 should have been no problem since the 360 has it. Damn it all, sega is pissing me off more and more these days. I REALLY wish I hadn't bought this game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Yeloazndevil0
Oct 30, 2006, 06:54 PM
the only reason the 360 version has widescreen is that M$ makes developers do at least 720p (1280x720)

Kronovan
Nov 1, 2006, 01:23 PM
Soundfx4 said: "There has to be some reason they did this, but what is it? "

The reason why there's resolution limitations and no widescreen for the PC version is because that version shares some of the same code and files as the PS2 version. Of the 2 platforms, the PS2 was the original system that the PS2/PC game was targeted for. This doesn't excuse Sega for not taking the time and effort to properly develop a PC version, but just explains the limitations.

My PC gaming rig is only connected to a Sony HDTV, so my only option for PSU-PC would have been running it in a 800x600 window; yuck! I actually bought a new slimline PS2 just to play PSU-PS2; plus a few other PS2 exclusives http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Even thought the PS2 can be configured for widescreen, I can tell you that PSU-PS2 isn't a widescreen game. I had to set my PS2 to 4:3 and run my HDTV in wide zoom mode -do the same for GameCube games- to get PSU to look acceptable. If I didn't run in this mode the aliasing of polys and textures was very poor; aliasing is still worse than PSO on GameCube. Based on my experiences, I think PSU PS2/PC was designed for 4:3 only since day 1.