PDA

View Full Version : stepdown converter for an us-cube running in europe?

rena-ko
Nov 17, 2002, 09:03 AM
first, please forgive me, if there is allready a topic about that but i'm in kind of a hurry (_ _)

i'm thinking about buying an us-cube and so i wonder what i have to look at when buying a stepdown converter for it.
being very bad in physical science i have to admit all these volts and watts are confusing me, so please anyone could tell me what i should definitely not forget to check on, when i buy such a converter.

thank you for your patience

RedFox
Nov 17, 2002, 09:41 AM
the stepdown converter simply reduces the 240volts that your EU mains adapter shoots out to the 110volts that a US GC needs to run.

without a stepdown a US GC taking in all 240volts will be fried.

Rich_T
Nov 17, 2002, 11:20 AM
a 40 or 50watt 240v - 110v power step down with Northa maerican style plug socket will do, you can find the cheaply in most decent shops ( ie maplins) http://www.maplin.co.uk

rena-ko
Nov 18, 2002, 03:40 AM
thank you both very much ^_^
one problem solved then - so far, so good

Atax
Nov 18, 2002, 10:37 AM
Like I said in another thread, you can't get an official power adapter that is native to your country, since all power adapters output to the same voltage for the GCN.

The only realy advantage to this is that you only have 1 power adapter to worry about, instead of 2.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Atax on 2002-11-18 07:40 ]</font>

EsperJ
Nov 18, 2002, 11:16 AM
Hmmm...

The place I got my US GC from and PSO (on friday) sent me a PS2 stepdown converter to go with it.

(220v / 58w)

I rang them to make sure it would be OK, and they said it was just as standard and would be fine.

Should i be worried?

Any ideas - thanks