PDA

View Full Version : I desire Oblivion

Dangerous55
Nov 2, 2006, 08:56 PM
Any guys out here who know anything about Oblivion for the PC help me out. My main concern is my video card. It is a Radeon 9200 256MB. Will it do a decent job?

Blitzkommando
Nov 2, 2006, 10:01 PM
Oblivion is notoriously poorly coded and as such is far harder on computers than it really should be. As such, the 9200 is a good several generations old, and even with the additional VRAM it will have a rather tough time playing Oblivion. Even top of the line computers choke on Oblivion, so it's not a surprise. This month is seeing additional AGP video cards being released by ATI that should perform very well. Depending on your machine, it might be cheaper to pick up an Xbox360 and copy and get far better results. I would suggest at least the 7600 GS (7600GT is quite a bit nicer and is about $130) from nVidia which sells for about $100 or an X800 series by ATI (The X800 GTO is an excellent performer at the price). Don't go for the cards with "Hyper Memory" as they simply use system memory to obtain the RAM for graphics. With either of those cards you should be able to run (depending on your system memory and processor) at 1024x768 with medium to medium-low settings. There are other cards on the market that are superior performers, but I would wait until ATI releases their X1950 Pro (AGP) which should be around $200 and be the top performing AGP card on the market.

EDIT: As for the 9200 I would expect it would be rather painful at around 640x480 (Maybe 800x600 but with low, low settings) with low settings. It's just not a top performer being part of ATI's budget series from around 2002.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-11-02 19:03 ]</font>

Dangerous55
Nov 2, 2006, 10:19 PM
Goddamn. I do need to upgrade the card. I plan on getting a 360 when I have cash...I suppose I will wait. Looks like I will just pick up PSU and Morrowind even though I grounded that into powder on the X-Box.

Lucid-Aura
Nov 3, 2006, 01:15 PM
If your going to get it, yes get it for 360 not PC, my friend has the PC version and he said it was hard to configure the controls and what not, he spent a few hours getting them half-decent, so go for the 360