PDA

View Full Version : Wait, WHAT? Story related, spoilers.

Uncle_bob
Nov 3, 2006, 05:25 AM
Just completed story mode, and I'm very confused.

What? There is so much shit left unexplained. Namely Magashi. He died, became SEED Magashi, and became his regular self again at the SEED Hive? Did I miss a couple chapters? And what was his connection to SEED. And they never say where SEED came from. Ugh.

Also, what's the point of online mode? SEED was wiped out in the offline game, so why are we killing monsters online? If I missed something, my apologies. But it seems very vague.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2006-11-03 02:29 ]</font>

Pilla
Nov 3, 2006, 05:44 AM
(Insert music Result 2 from Phantasy Star Universe soundtrack)

Sadly near the end I really felt this game was REALLY rushed... I mean what your saying and all had me saying what the hell too..

Extra mode HIVE is a hell of a let down too, the Ruins a.k.a HIVE is short and felt rushed like hell. The final boss was cool and all but was also easy as hell too. He just sorta comes in, and I'm not sure if the voice that says "You will not escape" was Dark Falz or what? The demi-creature sublife on PSO was hinted at a lot time to time in PSO and gave us a hint of the orgin of Falz and why the last set of people sealed him. In this one it leaves you confused as hell, how where they too late to save the others? What happen to them? Was Dark Falz just already unsealed and taking a cruise in the universe free and looking for A-Photon munchies? S.E.E.D are attracted to A photons to feed on but what purpose arte they after and why was Dark Falz with them? How did Magashi even know about Falz? What where the scientist captured for? In the end it semed they where on a tight deadline and Ethan's only purpose was to save his friends, he didn't even question what the heck was up with that final battle >.>

daylight129
Nov 3, 2006, 05:48 AM
None of this has anything to do with Dark Falz. The bosses name was just like that because it's a trademark in the PS games to cast that name on their final bosses.

The two games are highly unrelated and share only minute likeness in things such as money form, and item names. Kinda like the Final Fantasy games.

And what do you mean why are we fighting monsters online? That's like saying "Omg I just killed Dark Falz, so how can I run ruins again and kill him again that makes NO SENSE OMG"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: daylight129 on 2006-11-03 02:50 ]</font>

Dein
Nov 3, 2006, 06:18 AM
I was under the impression that the online mode was meant to be a continuation of the offline story of PSU. Anyway, there were a ton of plot holes in the story.

Why was Magashi and the Endrum Collective kidnapping A-Photon Researchers? Also, when Magashi kidnapped Taragi, before he first dies and comes back in Seed form, how did he even know of the existence of the HIVE? Apparently all the scientists that had been kidnapped were sent to the HIVE satellite but that was supposed to have been crawling with SEED.

I presumed that the capsules on the HIVE that people were being held in were used to experiment on how to make the SEED infect humanoid life forms but no one ever raised the question the entire time they were there. The whole connection between the SEED and A-Photons was never even touched sadly either.

Maybe Online mode will touch on the loose ends in the future. Offline could've had a better story if they had covered more plot holes.

daylight129
Nov 3, 2006, 06:20 AM
Maybe the holes are purposeful because they are played out in online missions. There are story missions being released online in the future too you know.

AxelgearVII
Nov 3, 2006, 07:35 AM
On 2006-11-03 03:20, daylight129 wrote:
Maybe the holes are purposeful because they are played out in online missions. There are story missions being released online in the future too you know.

I'm really hoping that's the truth. Because the offline story had about as many holes in it as a chain link fence.

iampoisoned
Nov 3, 2006, 07:38 AM
you wanna talk about holes in the story??

remember PSO?

Jiga
Nov 3, 2006, 10:22 AM
PSO? WTF IS PSO AND Y DO U PPL KEEP TALKING ABOUT IT!!!!!

jk

Flame
Nov 3, 2006, 03:11 PM
yeah but PSO never pretended to be an offline story driven game. Magashi has a wonderful character design. I just wish he had some sort of character to go along with it. Basically, the conclusion of the offline story mode is pretty damn horrible. Nothing is solved. Magashi never reveals why he's hell bent on destroying everything or his ties with the seed. Not cool Sonic Team.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flame on 2006-11-03 12:12 ]</font>

uhawww
Nov 3, 2006, 04:06 PM
Wait until the network mode story missions start up...

Remember, Magashi is a cast...like Lou, or should I say... the Lous.
There's a puppeteer playing a foul game throughout Story Mode...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-11-03 13:06 ]</font>

SoujiSeta
Nov 3, 2006, 04:10 PM
PSU 2(online story) will continue where the offline left off. Remember, offline is only half the story.

Major Spoilers
Magashi is not dead

Flame
Nov 3, 2006, 04:41 PM
um how do you know this? It still doesn't make up for Renvolt's absence of reason or character.

uhawww
Nov 3, 2006, 05:07 PM
The ending of Episode 2 Chapter 2 Story Missions on JP version.
Leia makes a couple of comments about the...*ahem* boss fight.
Just wait and see.

kyori
Nov 3, 2006, 05:17 PM
Heh i think the current workings on episode 2 aren't related at all to episode 1
Magashi specifically says hes Magashi of the illuminous. Mean while in general it seems to be a big clone mess

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kyori on 2006-11-03 14:17 ]</font>

Kupi
Nov 3, 2006, 06:05 PM
Personally, I would speculate that:

The SEED are some kind of Photon-based lifeform. They exhibit the same qualities as the D-Type Cells did in PSO, namely, the ability to infect, control, and enhance an unwilling host. By doing so, they also gain the knowledge and abilities of the host body. That said, this is the sequence of events:

The SEED was originally attracted to the Gurhal system (or rather, attracted BACK to the Gurhal system) by the development of A-Photon technology by the current civilization. Why? Well, if they're a Photon-based lifeform, they probably feed on Photon energy. And if A-Photon energy is the best there is, well, it's a feast. Now, somewhere along the way, the Endrum Collective has a run-in with the SEED and loses most if not all of its members to SEED infection. The SEED assimilates their knowledge of the Gurhal system, most importantly, the existence of people who know how to produce A-Photons. That would explain why the Endrum Collective was after the scientists-- the SEED wanted to know how to produce the ultimate food source, and the scientists knew how to do it.

Of course, all that's just speculation straight off the top of my head about it. The game REALLY could have used some more dialog. >_O They never even explained the specifics of the "small Beasts".

Ronin1of47
Nov 3, 2006, 06:10 PM
On 2006-11-03 07:22, Jiga wrote:

jk

Jiga PSO stands for Phantast Star Online

and i think that the online and story mode were supposed to be taking place at the same timenot one after the other

Nukei
Nov 3, 2006, 06:16 PM
On 2006-11-03 15:10, Ronin1of47 wrote:

On 2006-11-03 07:22, Jiga wrote:

jk

Jiga PSO stands for Phantast Star Online

and i think that the online and story mode were supposed to be taking place at the same timenot one after the other

He said jk . http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif Just kidding http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Quark713
Nov 3, 2006, 06:22 PM
I want to say something secret, too!

Mac2492
Nov 3, 2006, 06:23 PM
On 2006-11-03 14:07, uhawww wrote:
The ending of Episode 2 Chapter 2 Story Missions on JP version.
Leia makes a couple of comments about the...*ahem* boss fight.
Just wait and see.

When did Japan get Episode 2? (I'm assuming it's a continuation of the story... Online, probably. x,X)

uhawww
Nov 3, 2006, 06:24 PM
They'll start adding Online Story Missions on a regular basis after the initial update (Moatoob open, new weapons, etc) to the game.

Mac2492
Nov 3, 2006, 06:26 PM
Ah, thanks! Do you know if offline players will get any goodies as well?

Sinue_v2
Nov 4, 2006, 02:15 AM
None of this has anything to do with Dark Falz. The bosses name was just like that because it's a trademark in the PS games to cast that name on their final bosses.

No... not really. In all of the original franchise, Dark Falz/Force were the same being. Well... they were spawned by the same being. They were copporeal representations of the Profound Darkness - a minute amount of it's power that it was capable of releasing into the world every 1,000 years when the seal was at it's weakest. The reason why you keep seeing it as a end-game enemy in PS is because it's not until Phantasy Star IV that the root of the problem is finally dealt with. In a way - Phantasy Star was never a story about the characters you play, it was a story about the Algol solar system and struggle between light and darkness.

In Phantasy Star Online, Dark Falz is represented s the same being he was in Phantasy Star - though a definitive connection is never established. He is, however, very capable of being the same enemy spawned from the Profound Darkness. If you wish to make the leap of faith and connect the storylines - You could say that since he was a part of the Profound Darkness - the Profound Darkness's death didn't destory him - but rather continued on THROUGH him. He wasn't destoryed in Phantasy Star III because they did not have the weapons capable of completely obliterating him. The Nei weapons succeeded in destorying his physical form, but his energy couldn't be destroyed. Hence his need for Rico - and further, because he was the new Profound Darkness - he needed to gain power and "evolve". When Flowen first encounters Falz in the Ruins, he describes Falz as having no form, but a morphing apperance that seems to cycle through the stages of life and death.

In PSO, you don't even have the Nei weapons. (Nei's Claw - either of them - are not Nei weapons. They're two totally seperate meanings for the word "Nei") However, you did have Photon weapons. Photons are light, and as an extension of the Great Light's power you could say - they were capable of damaging Falz, but not destorying him. In order for that to happen, Rico and Flowen had to goad Falz and OlgaFlow into a battle. Even then, that didn't quite do the job.

In Phantasy Star Universe however... you cannot make such a connection. There is no mention of a dark god, or extraplanar power behind the SeeD attack. He doesn't even carry the monicer "Dark Falz", instead going with "Darku Faux" or something I can't recall right now. For all intents and purposes, he is the "Dark Falz" of PSU - but he cannot trace a lineage back to the Profound Darkness and is effectively a totally different enemy (SeeD + Megashi hybrid) who just happens to have a similar name.

Of course.. this could change as new evidence presents itself... and the way it's shaping up, if PSU has any connection to PS in a similar way that PSO does - it would have to be as a prequel taking place millions upon millions of years before even the first Phantasy Star game. Remember... the battle between the Great Light and the Profound Darkness was not one of two gods (that was only in the US version because Sega thought we wouldn't grasp the concept, being majorly monotheistic)... but instead between two spiritual races. The Profound Darkness only became a singular being after thousands of millenia of captivity.

And yes... there have been other Phantasy Star games which do not feature Dark Falz as the final boss. Though they generally all have been side-games. PSO:BB doesn't involve Falz, I believe. Neither do PSGaiden, PSAdventure, the PS Memorial Drama CD, or any of the PS II character adventures.

ShadowDragon28
Nov 4, 2006, 02:32 AM
Excellent post Sinue_v2..

I think Kupi's specualtion backstory is excellent. It may be speculative but it makes so much sense and fits very well.

PSU offline storymode is only like "season 1", ala "Lost"; the story isn't over yet....
I will enjoy it as it unfolds.

daylight129
Nov 4, 2006, 02:40 AM
On 2006-11-03 23:15, Sinue_v2 wrote:

No... not really. In all of the original franchise, Dark Falz/Force were the same being. Well... they were spawned by the same being. They were copporeal representations of the Profound Darkness - a minute amount of it's power that it was capable of releasing into the world every 1,000 years when the seal was at it's weakest. The reason why you keep seeing it as a end-game enemy in PS is because it's not until Phantasy Star IV that the root of the problem is finally dealt with. In a way - Phantasy Star was never a story about the characters you play, it was a story about the Algol solar system and struggle between light and darkness.

In Phantasy Star Online, Dark Falz is represented s the same being he was in Phantasy Star - though a definitive connection is never established. He is, however, very capable of being the same enemy spawned from the Profound Darkness. If you wish to make the leap of faith and connect the storylines - You could say that since he was a part of the Profound Darkness - the Profound Darkness's death didn't destory him - but rather continued on THROUGH him. He wasn't destoryed in Phantasy Star III because they did not have the weapons capable of completely obliterating him. The Nei weapons succeeded in destorying his physical form, but his energy couldn't be destroyed. Hence his need for Rico - and further, because he was the new Profound Darkness - he needed to gain power and "evolve". When Flowen first encounters Falz in the Ruins, he describes Falz as having no form, but a morphing apperance that seems to cycle through the stages of life and death.

In PSO, you don't even have the Nei weapons. (Nei's Claw - either of them - are not Nei weapons. They're two totally seperate meanings for the word "Nei") However, you did have Photon weapons. Photons are light, and as an extension of the Great Light's power you could say - they were capable of damaging Falz, but not destorying him. In order for that to happen, Rico and Flowen had to goad Falz and OlgaFlow into a battle. Even then, that didn't quite do the job.

In Phantasy Star Universe however... you cannot make such a connection. There is no mention of a dark god, or extraplanar power behind the SeeD attack. He doesn't even carry the monicer "Dark Falz", instead going with "Darku Faux" or something I can't recall right now. For all intents and purposes, he is the "Dark Falz" of PSU - but he cannot trace a lineage back to the Profound Darkness and is effectively a totally different enemy (SeeD + Megashi hybrid) who just happens to have a similar name.

Of course.. this could change as new evidence presents itself... and the way it's shaping up, if PSU has any connection to PS in a similar way that PSO does - it would have to be as a prequel taking place millions upon millions of years before even the first Phantasy Star game. Remember... the battle between the Great Light and the Profound Darkness was not one of two gods (that was only in the US version because Sega thought we wouldn't grasp the concept, being majorly monotheistic)... but instead between two spiritual races. The Profound Darkness only became a singular being after thousands of millenia of captivity.

And yes... there have been other Phantasy Star games which do not feature Dark Falz as the final boss. Though they generally all have been side-games. PSO:BB doesn't involve Falz, I believe. Neither do PSGaiden, PSAdventure, the PS Memorial Drama CD, or any of the PS II character adventures.

So you agree with me. Lol. I said that PSU at this point has no connection with any of the old PS games. Okay so maybe the last bosses were indeed connected with the PS story lines as being the dark force...but then there's the question if they named the last boss what they did to show a smidgen of a clue? Or just being nasty and playing us.

Tystys
Nov 4, 2006, 02:41 AM
Meh, I expected as much. In order to make sense of everything, we have to pay SEGA monthly, lol.

Crafty bastards.

Sinue_v2
Nov 4, 2006, 02:57 AM
Right.. at this point in time, PSU has no connections to the previous series. If were to make the leap of faith and claim that the seal (which also follows a millenial cycle) that the ancients and the Guardians use to trap SeeD away was the original sealing of Algol that took place millions of years prior to PSI - you will have to explain away the lack of Dezolians and Motavians. However, I suppose you could claim that Dezolians and Motavians are evolutions of PSU Newmen and Beasts. After all - the Newmen of PSU worship the Great Light freverently - and in PS, only the Dezolians are known to be truely religeous to the Great Light (the catholic churchs which the Palmans prayed at not-withstanding). At some point in the future, Newdaiz would have to freeze over.

There's a LOT of holes and inplausabilities in any explanation you could try to make... not to mention that the whole idea of just doesn't sit well with me personally. Perhaps because I don't like the idea that SeeD might be the future Profound Darkness if the stories were connected. We'll just have to see what Sonic Team does with it. My guess... nothing, just like PSO. A lot of hints, perhaps some strong evidence, but nothing comming right out and saying "Yes, PSU is connected to either PSO or PS (or both)".

Knoob
Nov 4, 2006, 06:22 PM
On 2006-11-03 03:18, Dein wrote:
I was under the impression that the online mode was meant to be a continuation of the offline story of PSU. Anyway, there were a ton of plot holes in the story.

Why was Magashi and the Endrum Collective kidnapping A-Photon Researchers? Also, when Magashi kidnapped Taragi, before he first dies and comes back in Seed form, how did he even know of the existence of the HIVE? Apparently all the scientists that had been kidnapped were sent to the HIVE satellite but that was supposed to have been crawling with SEED.

I presumed that the capsules on the HIVE that people were being held in were used to experiment on how to make the SEED infect humanoid life forms but no one ever raised the question the entire time they were there. The whole connection between the SEED and A-Photons was never even touched sadly either.

Maybe Online mode will touch on the loose ends in the future. Offline could've had a better story if they had covered more plot holes.

actually one of these was addressed in game, i guess you missed it
in the game it clearly states that magashi was kidnapping the scientists for the purpose of repairing/maintaining the A-Photon reactor on the satellite.

Arias
Nov 4, 2006, 06:32 PM
On 2006-11-03 23:41, Tystys wrote:
Meh, I expected as much. In order to make sense of everything, we have to pay SEGA monthly, lol.

Crafty bastards.

you should've seen the reaction of my brother when he saw a commercial, he had an evil laugh...

What salesmen won't do to sell products, even to let people play online...

Anywho, it's funny, I can read all of the spoilers, even when i don't have the game and WILL get it...I know myself, i've forgotten all the things you've said by tomorrow, my memory sucks and I'm 16:D