PDA

View Full Version : Winamp

Aberu
Nov 4, 2006, 01:14 PM
Anyone still using winamp? Here's my favorite feature, showing off your list! Anyone else got any cool lists?

Here's mine (http://users.adelphia.net/~aberu/aberuwinamp.html)

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 4, 2006, 02:36 PM
WinAMP is an awesome media player. As far as I know, it was the first MP3 player to be found. I've not managed to find another media player that plays such a wide range of media, and so inobtrusively at that; most other media players seem to want to take over your computer (Real Player in particular), but WinAMP seems content to just sit there and play your media without trying to shove useless, extra features in your face (most of which, I can't comprehend why you'd want them) like a desperate salesman trying to make a sale.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2006-11-04 11:39 ]</font>

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Nov 4, 2006, 02:45 PM
I like Infranview. Not only is it for images, but great for sound and movies too. I use it instead of WM player. =^.^=

Allos
Nov 4, 2006, 02:55 PM
On 2006-11-04 10:14, Aberu wrote:
Anyone still using winamp? Here's my favorite feature, showing off your list! Anyone else got any cool lists?

Here's mine (http://users.adelphia.net/~aberu/aberuwinamp.html)

Eddie highly approves of your list.

Sord
Nov 4, 2006, 03:13 PM
I have it, it's nice and simple. I mostly like it for the reasons Meira has already stated though.

Aberu
Nov 4, 2006, 03:28 PM
But yeah guys! Post your lists! You look at the playlist and go tot he misc options button and go to generate html playlist, save it, upload to a server. Post away! Yeah I've been using winamp for probably almost 7-8 years. Maybe longer. I remember playing the synthesized format before mp3. They probably still have some arrangements of rpg music on rpgamer.com in that format should check it out. I think it was like .xm or something.

If you were involved int he scene back then, do you remember the .it format stuff?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aberu on 2006-11-04 12:29 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 4, 2006, 06:56 PM
I originally got WinAMP in 1998 or so, when I discovered MP3s. It was the player Sammy Hagar's website reccomended for playing the MP3s downloadable from the site.

Dhylec
Nov 4, 2006, 07:06 PM
I've been using Winamp before it was even 'bought' by AOL. Always has been a fave little MP3 player.

astuarlen
Nov 4, 2006, 07:28 PM
Huge WinAMP fan here. My friends don't get why I use it, and I don't get why they'd use anything else--particularly WMP and iTunes.
I use WinAMP 2.95 with an awesome minimal skin called Yello (http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=144265).
Uh, I'd love to post a playlist, but I don't have one.

Wyndham
Nov 4, 2006, 07:29 PM
I use iTunes. what are the upsides of Winamp?

Blitzkommando
Nov 4, 2006, 11:18 PM
I'm not sure people would appreciate my posting of around 21,000+ songs. Nor would anyone care for that matter. I've used WinAmp on and off but no matter what player I try I always seem to fall back to my old staple, just with the newest version: Windows Media Player. I've used it since... WMP6? I know I used WMP7 heavily to which I then went to 8, and so on and so forth. One of my reasons for using it instead of WinAMP (Or iTunes, Foobar2000, VLC Player, and others) is that none of them are able to search through my rather large library of songs as quickly, or efficiently, as with WMP11 (10 was getting pretty bad and bogged down and 11 has essentially fixed that).

I realize it's probably not really useful, but I like the SRS WOW effects as well. Combine that with the ease of use, and speed at which it works it does the job for me. It is a bit of a resource hog, but I frankly don't notice it at all even when playing games at the same time with it in the background as it mainly hogs memory and not processing. I should mention also that the other reason I don't use WinAMP much is that it got rather unstable with my music for some reason. I assume it was trying to index and just flat out wasn't designed for indexing over twenty thousand files of various formats covering over 100GB. Oddly enough Foobar2000 was able to do that fine but I just never could get the sound to have quite the "oomph" of WMP with SRS and I don't care for the interface.

The various media players have their place for users. Itunes is good for those who need a decent music/movie buying program built into their player. WMP is great for huge file indexes using multiple formats (I assume Itunes could do that as well, but I never tried as I didn't like the lack of WMA and WMV support of which I prefer the WMA lossless format as my lossless format of choice over the Apple M4A). WinAMP is great for a huge variety of lesser-used formats (MP2, OGG, and all the plug-ins for things like FLAC and APE) but, at least in my experience, chokes when more than 10,000 files are involved. Foobar2000 is a great player for a huge slew of formats (More than WinAMP without plug-ins actually) and for people that like a very, very basic interface. Everybody has different reasons for using various players, but those are the reasons I would see myself using each of them. If system resources are a problem, WinAMP and Foobar2000 are the perfect choices as both tend to max out at around 15MB of memory usage under full load from music. If not, the extra features and speedy indexing of Itunes and WMP are great.

Sayara
Nov 4, 2006, 11:56 PM
http://koop.ph-online.net/r23r.htm

jjjjj = 5 musical notes. This is how winamp decided to translate it.