PDA

View Full Version : "The System File, Character File, and Guild Card Files are c

Zophar
Nov 17, 2002, 09:20 PM
I'm recieving this message before the title screen. It prompts me with a "Yes" or a "No" to delete my file. If I say "No", it won't let me procede to play.

This is very interesting since I've never tried to cheat, modify, or alter my character data. I have also never used the "dupe" bug or done anything that would cause corruption. I've always quit/save, too.

The last time I played I got disconnected from the server when logging on. I was disconnected right after the dial-up screen, but before ship select.

I believe this is what corrupted my character. If you're disconnected at a certain point when logging on, it can damage your character data. This is a PSOv1 and v2 bug that apparently hasn't been fixed.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Nov 17, 2002, 09:27 PM
Using official nintendo card?

Zophar
Nov 17, 2002, 09:32 PM
Of course. I'm not careless.

[Edit: I wrote "Of course not" by mistake. I am using an official memory card]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zophar on 2002-11-17 18:52 ]</font>

Vejita
Nov 17, 2002, 09:45 PM
i feel your pain, i had this same thing happen and it took 4 characters.and so i've started over and wow does it suck.but i cant lvl up b/c for some reason my gamecube is broken...something's wrong with it.but whenever i turn it on it says "cant read disc, plz check the GC manual"
too bad i lost the manual but i havent been able to play in days

Zophar
Nov 17, 2002, 09:50 PM
I'm not exactly upset over it. I was only level 65. Anyway, your problem sounds more severe. Try running another game on your Gamecube and see if it loads. If the same error persists, try "cleaning" your laser lens.

Take a soft cloth and gently swipe the surface of the laser. Contact Nintendo if this doesn't help.

DarthWufei
Nov 17, 2002, 09:50 PM
There's your reason to buy a official memory card with Nintendo's seal of quality.

The only seal of quality that actually means something!

Toyzferall
Nov 17, 2002, 09:53 PM
Nintendo decided to be stingy. Or maybe it's just some fuzzy math on part of the GC and PSO. But, either way, it'll continue to erase your data unless you're using and official Nintendo memory card. Sucks, don't it? Yeah, I went out and bought a second memory card JUST FOR PSO... And then I discovered that you had to use a Nintendo memory card to play online. I found out the hard way. Lost a lv. 19 character. ((Not that that was much, but hey.))

Zophar
Nov 17, 2002, 09:57 PM
Darth, I was using an official memory card. I had made a typing error in my previous post. This isn't something I caused, it's a bug. It's existed since PSOv1 and took my first legitimate character.

It happens when your connection is interupted at a specific time while connecting to the "log-on" server.

VulpesMundi
Nov 18, 2002, 12:34 AM
I've actually gotten this message at least a dozen times so far. I've never had to format my memory cards, tho. What I do when that message comes up is just pull out the memory card, wait a few seconds, then put it back in. Clears it right up. It's just some kind of communication error between the Gamecube and the memory card (at least in my case), so it's easy to fix.

Barubary6
Nov 18, 2002, 01:24 AM
On 2002-11-17 18:32, Zophar wrote:

Of course. I'm not careless.

[Edit: I wrote "Of course not" by mistake. I am using an official memory card]

Was I the only one that found this message to be...self-contradictory? :)

-- Barubary

PopCultureMonkey
Nov 18, 2002, 09:39 AM
Those people who've lost data on the GC with an official Nintendo memory card - Was it a 251 or a 59 card that you lost it on, and were you using the modem or the BBA?

Same goes for those who haven't lost data but have notched up a lot of hours - What card are you using?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PopCultureMonkey on 2002-11-18 06:44 ]</font>

BrokenHope
Nov 18, 2002, 02:18 PM
Most of the time the actual file that is corrupt is the guild card file and the others are just fine. If anyone gets that message try first deleting your guild card file and try again before letting it erase everything.

Zophar
Nov 19, 2002, 04:56 PM
I appreciate the advice, but I've already tried all of this. Nothing seems to work. It is an official memory card 51. It wouldn't matter if it were a 251 though, since they don't compress data.

I've deleted the character and created a new one.

Bar, witty as ever I see.

SONIC54
Nov 12, 2003, 10:57 PM
My friend made a careless mistake of erasing his files is there any way he can get them back?

kitomaka_ck
Nov 12, 2003, 11:18 PM
SONIC54, I am sad to say, but delete means DELETE. It's gone. Sadly this has to happen 90% of the people at least once... corruption, deletion, etc.

DarkSoldier
Nov 22, 2003, 11:30 AM
Why is he saying what he has already done? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_confused.gif

BullKathos
Nov 25, 2003, 08:48 PM
Yes i have used the dupe cheat before http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif i did it wrong and when i got back on the next day my hucast (the character i duped with) had text acrossed his portrait saying that he was corrupted and would have to be deleted. i didnt know what to do and turned of the gc. when i turned it back on he was fine and i got on and played. Sadly i lost my memory card that had all my good data on it and had to start aknew for more details go to the post i have just made about connection problems. Its mine cause it has a
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif face

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BullKathos on 2003-11-25 17:49 ]</font>