PDA

View Full Version : GC: The auto-re-aim system.

VulpesMundi
Nov 18, 2002, 01:25 AM
Sonic team has updated the auto-aim system that was unchanged in ver.2. What do you think of the auto-re-aim system now available in E1&2?

Personally I find it both a blessing and a curse, depending on the type of weapon involved. For single-target weapons it's a blessing. For multi-target weapons, it's a curse. I'll explain why I feel this way below.

Single-target...
Back in ver. 1 & 2 the auto aim system would only work on the first two attacks, then the third attack would keep going in the direction that the second attack was pointing no matter what. A good example of this is with wolves in the forest. If you attacked too fast (particularly with a saber) the third attack would completely whiff behind the wolf. In E1&2 this is updated a bit in that the third attack will also re-aim if the target has moved or a new target has been sighted. So no matter how fast you attack a wolf in E1&2, you won't whiff the third attack (in most cases) because the re-aim will turn to meet the wolf in its new position.

Multi-target...
Back in ver. 1 & 2 the auto aim system would only work on the first two attacks, then the third attack would keep going in the direction that the second attack was pointing no matter what. A good example of this is a pack of sharks. When you attacked you'd target the closest one in the direction you're facing, re-aim on the target for the second attack, then keep going in that direction for the third. In E1&2 this is updated a bit in that the third attack will also re-aim if the target has moved or a new target has been sighted. For attacking with a multi-hit weapon this can be a particularly annoying thing simply because you're hitting multiple targets and pushing them all around. When you turn to meet one that has been slightly pushed to one side you may very well completely whiff a critter or a few that have been pushed to the other side, leaving you wide open to be blind-sided.

An even bigger hinderance to an already questionable multi-hit system is that the sword animations now suck, especially for male characters. The partisans aren't much better, as they actually push enemies very little in this version (which is horrible in V-H and Ulti where the enemies are fast). It has actually come to the point where using swords and partisans in only two-hit combos is more effective than using the full three-hit combo.

What sayeth thou?

BWS-1
Nov 18, 2002, 01:32 AM
Thx, you just gave me an other reason NOT to buy a GC and Ep.1&2 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Honostly, I'd like to try that ... if only anyone here in Montreal had a GC and PSO maybe I could but well, they all own a DC or a PS2 or an Xbox so ...

*turns back to his PC and plays Morrowind

rbf2000
Nov 18, 2002, 01:59 AM
I hate the new auto aim. It used to be that zonde would auto-target whatever was closest to you. And that was good. But now, foie does it too. And I can't even begin to tell you how annoying it is when you have an enemy "locked on" and you foie it, but instead, you turn to the nearest box, and burn it to a crisp.

BWS-1
Nov 18, 2002, 02:37 AM
We shouldn't even be able to aim boxes, period. That would solve a lot of problems http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BWS-1 on 2002-11-17 23:39 ]</font>

Rhete
Nov 18, 2002, 03:30 AM
On 2002-11-17 23:37, BWS-1 wrote:
We shouldn't even be able to aim boxes, period. That would solve a lot of problems http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Then zonde wouldnt be able to hit boxes at all. I think it would be nice if boxes were only targetable when all enemies in a room were dead. Heck, make that only breakable to make item hogs fight XD

Wewt
Nov 18, 2002, 09:27 AM
Sabers and the like have certainly been improved for this version. Like you said, the auto-targetting system has a few ups and downs. When I play as a HU, it isn't too bad, except for when I fight enemies that are near boxes...

Zonde, Foie and Barta have become disastrous. Zonde doesn't always hit the nearest enemy. Instead, it seems to keep its "lock" onto an enemy for a certain time, then it refreshes and targets the new enemy that's closest to you. Well, all techs have done that if I really think about it. All techs that requires you to aim for an enemy that is, so that's everything except Gifoie, Razonde and Rabarta. Foie doesn't hit the closest enemy in front of you, it just goes crazy and aims for anything. Barta can sometimes appear to just not have any auto-targetting at all.

Try using Zonde on Dai Ra Lie's head, and you'll see the perfect example of why using Zonde has become a bitch.

Spacepest
Nov 18, 2002, 09:52 AM
Hmm, and I thought my ramarl was just being an item whore because she instantly autotargets every stupid box in the room, especially if she's using a shot type wep.
*wishes she would just stay autotargeted on the monsters instead of the stupid boxes containing crap items*

RagMasterRappy
Nov 18, 2002, 11:35 AM
And as usual, I don't seem to be experiencing the same problems that you people are.

Sedric
Nov 18, 2002, 11:46 AM
I wanna say not to include Rafoie with this problem, because it has enormous blast radius to begin with, but since it has innate aiming problem on its own from the start, I can't say so.

HC82
Nov 18, 2002, 12:13 PM
The auto targeting system has made certain techs quite annoying. Foie used to target what was in front of you, now it tends target whats closest, even those that are too your side. Thats something I'd expect from zonde, but not foie, very annoying. The Z button should be a targeting button, not another start button.

This going to be ABSOLUTE MURDER for FOs in rule 6 who have a teammate fighting near them, because your techs will target them instead, if the teammate is directly ahead of you but off too the side guess where that foie is going to go? So iam going to pass on Team based battle modes and simple stick to solo battle modes, rule1 being the exception since it's very open.

This is most noticable in the VR temples where pillars are everywhere and enemies are scattered all over the place. So alot of times I want to take out the megid spewing lilly first, but my barta wants to target the crimson assassin. So I simply have to re adjust myself so I can hit the lily, use a RA spell instead, or just kill the assassin. Although I do prefer RAfoies targeting now, it was pretty weak in ver 1~2.

I do feel the targeting for single hit weapons has been greatly improved.

Vandal
Nov 18, 2002, 12:51 PM
Meh, its not THAT bad. RBF2k, I didn't play much FO back in the day, but I'm not having any difficulties targetting Foie. Maybe just no old habits to break? I had kinda noticed Partisans don't ownz like they used to.. Which is good. This game was WAY too easy, still is in some aspects, but overall I think the difficulty has been tweaked for the better. I've always hated swords so http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif One thing I don't like, I had 2000+ atp with my Del Buster last night and was doing roughly 2x the dmg per hit of a person using a Vyaja @ 1000ish atp. Didn't atp used to make your dmg rise at a non-linear rate (as in, with 2000 atp I'd have been doing far more than 2x the dmg of 1000 vs. same enemy)?