PDA

View Full Version : Ouch...6.4 From IGN.

AkiraXxx
Nov 7, 2006, 01:08 AM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/744/744378p2.html

Link says it all. This is for the 360 version though, not sure how much it will differ for PC.

Thoughts on the review? Please take note to actually read the review before letting fanboyism take over.

Reading it again, they were very harsh with the review.
At the same time they brought up some good points.

Maybe Sonic Team will prove them wrong and actually come out with another planet and alot more missions and things to do.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AkiraXxx on 2006-11-06 22:22 ]</font>

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 7, 2006, 01:26 AM
Allow me to summarize the review: LOL DIS ISN'T A VRY GUD MMO LULZ, NOT AT ALL LIEK WOW SO IT FAILZ.

Ether
Nov 7, 2006, 01:29 AM
Allow me to summarize the review: The lack of variety in gameplay makes this one grow old quickly.

EC_Subbie
Nov 7, 2006, 01:31 AM
You're looking at the wrong review.

Go to page 1, look at reader reviews

Reader Average - 8.0

130 ratings | 16 reader reviews

So... 130 ratings... versus 1

I'd say 8.0 is more accurate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EC_Subbie on 2006-11-06 22:32 ]</font>

AkiraXxx
Nov 7, 2006, 01:31 AM
On 2006-11-06 22:26, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
Allow me to summarize the review: LOL DIS ISN'T A VRY GUD MMO LULZ, NOT AT ALL LIEK WOW SO IT FAILZ.

Yeah I was surprised they compared it to WoW. Someone earlier said that PSU isnt an mmo but an action rpg. Apparently this game IS an MMO. According to all these reviews being put out.

Hopefully SEGA/Sonic Team will get its ass in gear now that 2 of the largest gaming sites have marked this game as "horrible".

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 7, 2006, 01:33 AM
You see, you're missing the point too. PSO/U is not about all the content. It's not about "variety" in gameplay. It's not designed for those things. It's designed to be a fun way to piss away free time with some friends online by beating the snot out of stupid enemies over and over. If you expect it to be anything more, then you will not be satisfied with the game.

Uyoku
Nov 7, 2006, 01:34 AM
Gamespot isn't much better for 360, a little quick to jump the gun I think. They need to review the PC and PS2 versions seperately as well, not just leave them as they are. I really don't get why they're complaining about the online fee... at least they do int he gamespot one.

Maybe because its seperate from Xbox Live or somthing, I don't really know. But, I can tell you, ten dollars for optional online play is better than fifteen for a game that is online only with no optional offline play like some out there. I'm playing through story mode right now myself and they complain about the graphics being dated on some of these reviews, I don't really get it. They are but you know, like Final Fantasy has their unsually good looking graphics in cinematics in parts of their games, the Phantasy Star games that go online have their own look and feel that help make it them what they are.

Despite them saying they're dated, I have to say they look better and smoother than the older versions, and this is coming from someone who played since the Ver 1 on Dreamcast when it came out and moved on through to Blue Burst at one time or another.

I am eager to see the reviews on the non 360 versions, hopefully they will be better. Regardless of what they say though, people who try the game for themselves can see for themselves.

AkiraXxx
Nov 7, 2006, 01:34 AM
On 2006-11-06 22:31, EC_Subbie wrote:
You're looking at the wrong review.

Go to page 1, look at reader reviews

Reader Average - 8.0

130 ratings | 16 reader reviews

So... 130 ratings... versus 1

I'd say 8.0 is more accurate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EC_Subbie on 2006-11-06 22:32 ]</font>

All the high scoring reader reviews are from previous PSO fanboys. I just posted the actual IGN review, but yeah the reader review section is decent, but at the same time its a bit biased.

SepiasSoul
Nov 7, 2006, 01:35 AM
IGN has a tendancy to be harsh on alot of good games, especially in the MMORPG catagory. They seem to look for the seemlessness and attention to detail that can be found in games that are not made for almost pure online play. I've noticed a trend amoung them for that with several games, like some of the EQ2 expansions, Star Wars Galaxies and others. I rely more on the player reviews from their site than anything.

AkiraXxx
Nov 7, 2006, 01:36 AM
On 2006-11-06 22:33, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:
You see, you're missing the point too. PSO/U is not about all the content. It's not about "variety" in gameplay. It's not designed for those things. It's designed to be a fun way to piss away free time with some friends online by beating the snot out of stupid enemies over and over. If you expect it to be anything more, then you will not be satisfied with the game.

If thats the case why pay 10$ a month to upkeep 3 servers, some free games have way more content then this, and are x5 as massive. Your basicly saying this is an online version of Streets Of Rage correct?

DarkSeph
Nov 7, 2006, 01:38 AM
I am so.....so not able to even grasp how they could come up with that lame (something) score. I am so sick of those game review sites and their something something attitude. Seriously, like it has already been said, it's up to the gamers to decide if a game is good or not and we have given it a high rating...

....But hey, just my opinion, I don't get a paycheck from ign or gamespot so I guess I don't count http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 7, 2006, 01:41 AM
On 2006-11-06 22:31, AkiraXxx wrote:
Yeah I was surprised they compared it to WoW. Someone earlier said that PSU isnt an mmo but an action rpg. Apparently this game IS an MMO. According to all these reviews being put out.

Hopefully SEGA/Sonic Team will get its ass in gear now that 2 of the largest gaming sites have marked this game as "horrible".

It isn't an MMO. By no defnition is six "massive." Yes, it's multiplayer. Yes, it's online. Yes, it's an RPG. But FFS, there's nothing "massive" about parties of 6 in instanced games.

Anyone who goes in expecting PSU to be an MMO will, without a doubt, be disappointed. I expected these "large gaming sites" would at least put the game in the right genre before reviewing it, but really, that is expecting a bit too much of them.
On 2006-11-06 22:36, AkiraXxx wrote:

If thats the case why pay 10$ a month to upkeep 3 servers, some free games have way more content then this, and are x5 as massive. Your basicly saying this is an online version of Streets Of Rage correct?

I'm not familiar with Streets of Rage, so I cannot answer that.

Whay pay $10/month? Because I enjoy the game for what it is.

Pontifus
Nov 7, 2006, 01:41 AM
Yeah, all the bad reviews I've seen bring up good points, and I have answers for the big ones that apply to myself, at the very least.

For example, yes, right now there's not much to do besides roll through the mediocre single-player story and improve your character online. I say, so what? When you buy a new online game, you're not buying a game, really; you're investing in raw potential. Anyone who has played an MMO or two from beta or launch knows that, but these reviews seem to overlook that simple fact. Sega plans on updating quite regularly, and with significant, story-driven content. At the moment, we're not grinding our characters; we're preparing to clean up after a large-scale assault on the universe we call home. So what if it's not all in there yet? Remember the trials and tribulations of World of Warcraft's hunter class? Hunter is the second or third most played class in the game right now, and it, too, failed to meet its potential in the beginning. These reviewers need to back off a bit and look at PSU as potential, rather than as a complete experience. The fact of the matter is that PSU won't be complete until Sega pulls the plugs on the servers, and, for the foreseeable future, they'd have to drag those plugs out of my cold, dead hands.

See, that's one thing PSU has going for it: a small, dedicated, friendly player base. None of those reviewers really talk about that, do they?

But I digress. I also want to address the claim that PSU's gameplay amounts to little more than well-executed but repetitive hack-and-slash. Well, yeah, of course it does. The truth is, PSU is exactly what I hoped it would be. I wanted a simple, linear storyline. I wanted simple gameplay complimented with depth in the form of character customization options. It reminds me of the action-RPGs on the Super Nintendo, which I absolutely love. PSU is like the Mana/Seiken Densetsu game that should have been.

The point of all my seemingly pointless rambling is that PSU caters primarily to a particular audience. If you fall within that small group of people, you can pretty much disregard the poor reviews.

Flame
Nov 7, 2006, 01:44 AM
Fuzzy Logik, the game could be so much more. That's why it is scoring so low. The game reeks of laziness of scope and programing. Go into first person mode and stare at the floor. I dare you. And yes, how you take a game critic's review is definitely your business. The best advice is to not let them ruin your experience if you are having a good time. However to combat their points by stating that PSU is MEANT to be shallow does a large disservice to the player base and to the creators.

AkiraXxx
Nov 7, 2006, 01:44 AM
On 2006-11-06 22:41, Pontifus wrote:
Yeah, all the bad reviews I've seen bring up good points, and I have answers for the big ones that apply to myself, at the very least.

For example, yes, right now there's not much to do besides roll through the mediocre single-player story and improve your character online. I say, so what? When you buy a new online game, you're not buying a game, really; you're investing in raw potential. Anyone who has played an MMO or two from beta or launch knows that, but these reviews seem to overlook that simple fact. Sega plans on updating quite regularly, and with significant, story-driven content. At the moment, we're not grinding our characters; we're preparing to clean up after a large-scale assault on the universe we call home. So what if it's not all in there yet? Remember the trials and tribulations of World of Warcraft's hunter class? Hunter is the second or third most played class in the game right now, and it, too, failed to meet its potential in the beginning. These reviewers need to back off a bit and look at PSU as potential, rather than as a complete experience. The fact of the matter is that PSU won't be complete until Sega pulls the plugs on the servers, and, for the foreseeable future, they'd have to drag those plugs out of my cold, dead hands.

See, that's one thing PSU has going for it: a small, dedicated, friendly player base. None of those reviewers really talk about that, do they?

But I digress. I also want to address the claim that PSU's gameplay amounts to little more than well-executed but repetitive hack-and-slash. Well, yeah, of course it does. The truth is, PSU is exactly what I hoped it would be. I wanted a simple, linear storyline. I wanted simple gameplay complimented with depth in the form of character customization options. It reminds me of the action-RPGs on the Super Nintendo, which I absolutely love. PSU is like the Mana/Seiken Densetsu game that should have been.

The point of all my seemingly pointless rambling is that PSU caters primarily to a particular audience. If you fall within that small group of people, you can pretty much disregard the poor reviews.

Yup,with that said.

I remember reading some article with SEGA/Sonic Team promising content for 5 years? I know this was said on one of those sites, because that was the main reason I started the game. Now in terms of content, im curious as do they mean content such as, supplying the halloween/christmas/season things for 5 years? Or actually adding more content to the game over the course of 5 years, OR does it mean adding content over 5 years every 3 months?

Ill try to hunt for the article unless someone else knows the link.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 7, 2006, 01:48 AM
On 2006-11-06 22:44, Flame wrote:
Fuzzy Logik, the game could be so much more. That's why it is scoring so low. The game reeks of laziness of scope and programing. Go into first person mode and stare at the floor. I dare you. And yes, how you take a game critic's review is definitely your business. The best advice is to not let them ruin your experience if you are having a good time. However to combat their points by stating that PSU is MEANT to be shallow does a large disservice to the player base and to the creators.

Yes, it could be much more than that. But it's not intended to be anything more than that. I myself, and many other PSO-players would be very much put-off if it tried to be anything more than that.

Yes, it's meant to be shallow. Yes, I'm glad it's that way. If you want a more involved gameplay experience, then don't waste your time with PSU.

Also: Regarding staring at the ground in FPS mode, what's the problem? I haven't done this yet, because FPS mode is only useful for shooting things in the air (i.e. opposite of the ground). And if the answer is "ewww that texture is all flat and pixelated and ugly," keep in mind that I don't give a shit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ffuzzy-Logik on 2006-11-06 22:51 ]</font>

vitius137
Nov 7, 2006, 01:53 AM
On 2006-11-06 22:44, Flame wrote:
Go into first person mode and stare at the floor. I dare you.

I don't really see any problem besides the extremely ugly target thing (don't know what it's called :/ its the circle that marks where you're aiming).

Flame
Nov 7, 2006, 01:56 AM
there is no video game genre for "shallow". PSO was an amazing experience. Certainly you cannot refute that there was a sense of atmosphere and interactivity in the world not found in PSU? The combat in PSU is everything I had ever hoped it to be. It's engaging and challenging. However when these critics attack it for its level design and lack of ambition, it's not an excuse to reply with that PSU is just a bad game. I am a pso player, and I am "put off" that it does not try to be anything more than a game that was released 5 years ago with slight graphical tweaks combat improvements. This game was FIVE YEARS in the making. PSO was ambitious as hell for the time. This game is the exact opposite. I still really enjoy it, make no mistake. But sonic team is just being lazy. I really don't think they invented Partner Machinery and Item Synthesis striving to deliver a shallow experience.

oh and to Vitius: when you go and look at the ground in FPS mode, the floor will start to vibrate and jump around at the seams. it's just sloppy programing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flame on 2006-11-06 22:57 ]</font>

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 7, 2006, 02:06 AM
On 2006-11-06 22:56, Flame wrote:
there is no video game genre for "shallow". PSO was an amazing experience. Certainly you cannot refute that there was a sense of atmosphere and interactivity in the world not found in PSU? The combat in PSU is everything I had ever hoped it to be. It's engaging and challenging. However when these critics attack it for its level design and lack of ambition, it's not an excuse to reply with that PSU is just a bad game. I am a pso player, and I am "put off" that it does not try to be anything more than a game that was released 5 years ago with slight graphical tweaks combat improvements. This game was FIVE YEARS in the making. PSO was ambitious as hell for the time. This game is the exact opposite. I still really enjoy it, make no mistake. But sonic team is just being lazy. I really don't think they invented Partner Machinery and Item Synthesis striving to deliver a shallow experience.
I'll agree that the PM and crafting systems are not shallow, and that's probably why I'm not too happy with them. No, "shallow" isn't a genre, but Online Action RPG is.

You see, the problem is that we expected different things in PSU. You expected something just as innovative and different as PSO was back in the day. I expected more PSO, but with a slightly improved engine. Yes, I'm glad it "does not try to be anything more than a game that was released 5 years ago." Why? Because I really, really, really liked that game, and I still do really like it. I'm perfectly happy that PSU is more of the same, because that's exactly what I want.

And Sonic Team being lazy? That's their specialty. They may be a bunch of crappy/lazy programmers, but I enjoy their product, so that's all that really matters.

Stop trying to over-analyze PSU in terms of what it could have been, and accept it for what it is. Who knows, you may even enjoy it.

Flame
Nov 7, 2006, 02:12 AM
haha I do enjoy it! Which I guess makes us talking about it kind of silly. But I only meant to take it from the perspective of the reviewers. And who knows. We have years of content ahead of us. Hell even if there were only a population of 150 kids online I'd be happy.

Raifen
Nov 7, 2006, 02:13 AM
Ive played tons of mmos' out there, and at least this one you dont click a button and watch your character attack untill the enemy is dead. ooo wow isnt that fun.

my roommate plays WoW then he comes in here and watches me play PSU then gets mad that he isnt playing it and he is sitting there watching his level 60 attack; not moving his character around or anything. haha, i know this has nothing to do with the review, but i just thought id state it.

Flame
Nov 7, 2006, 02:16 AM
yeah I've always hated the other "mmos" for that. You dont do anything but watch your avatar do things. This is why I could never stand baulder's gate and other such US rpgs.

Finalzone
Nov 7, 2006, 02:17 AM
Meh. The best way to review is trying the game yourself. The reply aims to IGN or any mainstream videogames website reviews.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Finalzone on 2006-11-06 23:22 ]</font>

Weak
Nov 7, 2006, 02:21 AM
Reviews are meant to encourage/discourage someone from buying something.

We've already paid.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 7, 2006, 02:23 AM
Glad i'm not on the 360 version then. *hugs ps2 copy*

Pontifus
Nov 7, 2006, 02:27 AM
On 2006-11-06 23:13, Raifen wrote:
Ive played tons of mmos' out there, and at least this one you dont click a button and watch your character attack untill the enemy is dead. ooo wow isnt that fun.

my roommate plays WoW then he comes in here and watches me play PSU then gets mad that he isnt playing it and he is sitting there watching his level 60 attack; not moving his character around or anything. haha, i know this has nothing to do with the review, but i just thought id state it.

Yeah, seriously, amen to that. My roommate plays WoW endgame and constantly tries to convince me that running through the same six-hour-long dungeon over and over again to get those elusive Tier 2 shoulders is somehow enjoyable. Um, yeah, no thanks. I'll be over here steamrolling through mobs with my party of 6, and, unlike him, I'll be done in time to have a social life.

_Tek_
Nov 7, 2006, 02:31 AM
http://www.gamerankings.com/

360-70
pc/ps2-74

DoubleJG
Nov 7, 2006, 02:42 AM
I'm not suprised. I am however quite shocked that it only got a 6.4... if it were to get 7 or 7.5, then that's about right coming from a non Phantasy Star fan.

As of right now, the game DOES have little to offer. I love this game, yet compared to other online games (at launch, including PSOBB) this game has very few options as far as what to do. Once the updates start kicking in, mainly the first one unlocked Moatoob and expert classes, gameplay will become smoother.

My personal review, as of NOW, 8.5/10. About 5 months from now, easily 10/10. This is clearly IMO, but out of curiosity (I didn't see it stated earlier, I'm tired so just decided to reply) was the 6.4 based off of the Network Play or Story?

wraith5k
Nov 7, 2006, 02:46 AM
Network it seems like. They never really mentioned story.

Sega needs to effin update this game. I heard somewhere that it took them a month to update the JP version, and it's going to take just as long to update ours. Are they fucking insane. I don't care what anyone says. This game is all about content. All about it. Sure the simple hack + slash with friends is neat and addictive of course. But this game is all about gettin cool shit. And the fact that so much of the community has the best weapons is pretty fuggin gay. I remember a month ago when everyone was like "what advanced job are you gonna be!" Why must it be another month before we get that? I personally don't think the game is reviewable untill the last fucking planet is out at least. Seriously though.....6 star swords...give them to us.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wraith5k on 2006-11-06 23:51 ]</font>

AkiraXxx
Nov 7, 2006, 02:46 AM
On 2006-11-06 23:42, DoubleJG3288 wrote:
I'm not suprised. I am however quite shocked that it only got a 6.4... if it were to get 7 or 7.5, then that's about right coming from a non Phantasy Star fan.

As of right now, the game DOES have little to offer. I love this game, yet compared to other online games (at launch, including PSOBB) this game has very few options as far as what to do. Once the updates start kicking in, mainly the first one unlocked Moatoob and expert classes, gameplay will become smoother.

My personal review, as of NOW, 8.5/10. About 5 months from now, easily 10/10. This is clearly IMO, but out of curiosity (I didn't see it stated earlier, I'm tired so just decided to reply) was the 6.4 based off of the Network Play or Story?

Based off overall game.

DraginHikari
Nov 7, 2006, 02:55 AM
Meh... Game Reviewers these days aren't too much different from Movie Critics. I've always prefered to see myself then trust the word of people who claim to be 'professional' Reviewers

Garnet_Moon
Nov 7, 2006, 03:01 AM
On 2006-11-06 23:55, DraginHikari wrote:
Meh... Game Reviewers these days aren't too much different from Movie Critics. I've always prefered to see myself then trust the word of people who claim to be 'professional' Reviewers

If it's not Warcraft, Halo, Half-Life or Counter Strike, the review will never get higher than a 7. Oh, and even if it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with one of these games or isn't even similiar in anyway, it will still get compared to them. And then it will fail a second time.

Ryogen
Nov 7, 2006, 03:21 AM
Like I said before, I don't read reivews, I don't like reviewers and I don't care about them. I play what I'm interested in and if I like it I play it. I'm tired of these being posted. Do me a favor and look at the user reviews and watch it grow, reviewers have been proved wrong many times. They are foolish, play out of their own genre, and only want you to LIKE WHAT THEY LIKE! IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT, IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU WON'T LIKE IT! PEOPLE SOAK TO THESE PEOPLE AS REVIEWER GODS AND IT PISSES ME OFF BADILY. IF I GAVE A GOOD REVIEW THAT YOU TO SHOOT YOURSELF WOULD YOU DO IT?! Don't hate it until you play it. I hate reviewers. They always try to be funny when their not, make points that possibly won't effect the game in the feature (this is MRPG, there will be updates). A 6? Get this crap out of my face, I play what I'm intrested it and love it. I don't let people judge how I spend my money. That is why there is GAME RENTALS.

Now for my quotes on previous rating topics:

"I don't read or believe in reivews. I play what I see interest me. So many people listen to these reviewers in mags and on the internet and it's just redicilious. Did you know that some reviewers are payed off how to rate the game? Some of you will jump off a cliff if the jump was givin a high rating and it was called Super Sucide 4. I stear clear of them, they even play out of their genre and will rate it. If you want to play based on ratings, go for user ratings. They are much more honest to the people who put their time into reviewing.

If you enjoy what you play then don't read reiews. They can even lie and give false about the whole damn thing and people will go after it. Take a look with the following games IGN rated: Chromehounds, Beatdown: Fist of vengence, and The Bouncer (they changed the score and raised it up but back in the day it was gave a poor rating)."

jarek99
Nov 7, 2006, 03:28 AM
I agree with IGN on this review 100%. And now, I must quote several things said on this thread and disagree with them...

They are not comparing the game to WoW. WoW was only mentioned once in the article. They only mentioned that WoW has made online rpgs popular in the mainstream. Thats not even close to a comparison.

PSO/U is not about all the content. It's not about "variety" in gameplay. It's not designed for those things.
lol @ you. This doesnt defend psu at all! You are basically calling the game shallow.

I am so.....so not able to even grasp how they could come up with that lame (something) score.
Try reading the review instead of just looking at the score in the end. There's 2 pages of reasons why it got the low score.

Are you sure? I have a level 50 hunter and all I did to level him was press the same buttons and attacked the monsters until they died.

Shinomaru
Nov 7, 2006, 03:29 AM
"Graphics
A lifeless port from PS2."

now you know they dont know shit about pso. pso was a dreamcast xbox and gamecube game **ckheads,

AkiraXxx
Nov 7, 2006, 03:32 AM
On 2006-11-07 00:28, jarek99 wrote:
I agree with IGN on this review 100%. And now, I must quote several things said on this thread and disagree with them...

They are not comparing the game to WoW. WoW was only mentioned once in the article. They only mentioned that WoW has made online rpgs popular in the mainstream. Thats not even close to a comparison.

PSO/U is not about all the content. It's not about "variety" in gameplay. It's not designed for those things.
lol @ you. This doesnt defend psu at all! You are basically calling the game shallow.

I am so.....so not able to even grasp how they could come up with that lame (something) score.
Try reading the review instead of just looking at the score in the end. There's 2 pages of reasons why it got the low score.

Are you sure? I have a level 50 hunter and all I did to level him was press the same buttons and attacked the monsters until they died.

Actually, the said how WoW has and others have pushed the genre for mmos forward, while PSU has the same feel as PSO from years back. So yeah, they are comparing wow movement to psu.

To be more specific.

"In the time since we first partied up online to hack and slash our way through waves of alien monsters and now, the online RPG has gone through somewhat of a revolution. World of Warcraft has brought the genre to the mainstream and high speed networked consoles have opened the doors to what can be done with an online game. After all of the titles that have pushed the limits of the genre in the past few years, Phantasy Star Universe has come out with an offering that is largely the same as the one we saw so many years ago. The result is an unsatisfying and stale experience that feels like an update to an old game that has had its day rather than a new title."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AkiraXxx on 2006-11-07 00:34 ]</font>

jarek99
Nov 7, 2006, 03:46 AM
After all of the titles that have pushed the limits of the genre in the past few years, Phantasy Star Universe has come out with an offering that is largely the same as the one we saw so many years ago.
They are saying that other games have done things to advance their own genre....while PSU has done very little for its own. WoW was used a reference, but thats hardly a comparison. Its not like they held PSU up to a WoW measuring stick. They arent the same type of game.

Kaio666
Nov 7, 2006, 03:47 AM
I honestly have to agree with IGN on this one. It isnt wow, nor was it intended to be. But if i want this style of game, i can go play diablo 2 for free, or PSO for that matter. I think they tried to improve upon it and fell short, it lost alot of appeal other action RPGs have very quickly. I pissed away so much time on PSO, it was the same shit over and over, but for whatever reason it was still fun. This was old...after a couple hours to be honest, but i kept playing. Now it just sitson my shelf while i wait for Gears of War (not an rpg in anyways obviously). I have played a fair amount of action rpgs, and this doesnt live up to what i have come to love from Phantasy star. Online was the pinnacle of greatness, and IMO they just took away too much without giving enough to balance it.

jarek99
Nov 7, 2006, 03:50 AM
Graphics
A lifeless port from PS2."

now you know they dont know shit about pso. pso was a dreamcast xbox and gamecube game **ckheads,
They are saying that the Xbox360 version of PSU is a lifeless ps2 port of PSU. PSO was never on the PS2 so I dont know how you even got confused. But yeah, I guess they are dickheads because YOU didnt understand.

Ryogen
Nov 7, 2006, 03:52 AM
What I like about Phantasy Star:

It's like the Dynasty Warriors of games. It always becomes better each time, even when the reviewers rate it poorly and only the fans and newcombers will enjoy it. I don't see how Beat em Up games are being so poorly rated now a days but if it's a name brand title it will get a nice rating.

Kaio666
Nov 7, 2006, 04:04 AM
I dont find that to be true. There are plenty of unique games that are getting awesome reviews. Remember katamari? It was like a litte no name jewel from weird heaven. Beat em ups get bad reviews because eventually they get stale. Dynasty warriors is a good example of stale. Thet get progressively worse because they dont ever change...at all. To say only high profile games get reviews is a load TBH. While PSO isnt stale, sega did sort of change too much and take away what was so addicting about PSO (to me at least). It could be the rediculous lack of content atm, but i dont intend to stick around long enough to find out.

AkiraXxx
Nov 7, 2006, 04:13 AM
All in all, its completely the lack of content that should automatically be available thats killing reviews for the game. The graphic issue would be second. But mmo graphics you dont want to go overboard, because then some people without super computers cant play the game. Some people cant even play it as it is now.

Ryogen
Nov 7, 2006, 04:27 AM
On 2006-11-07 01:04, Kaio666 wrote:
I dont find that to be true. There are plenty of unique games that are getting awesome reviews. Remember katamari? It was like a litte no name jewel from weird heaven. Beat em ups get bad reviews because eventually they get stale. Dynasty warriors is a good example of stale. Thet get progressively worse because they dont ever change...at all. To say only high profile games get reviews is a load TBH. While PSO isnt stale, sega did sort of change too much and take away what was so addicting about PSO (to me at least). It could be the rediculous lack of content atm, but i dont intend to stick around long enough to find out.

I'm not going off on uinque games. It's hard to make a game unique and many times they don't always work. Dynasty Warrors is more of a slow experiment, but sadly too close to the same thing. What I gave was my opinion based on why I like it. Just like all these reviews, nothing but opinions I respect Dynasty Warriors as much as (way better actually) than PSO and PSU and I got the same addiciton that I have with Dynasty Warriors. Now may this be an opinion and you have an opinion, although I feel the same good addiction I have with PSU the same way I have with Dynasty Warriors. Our end results on "addictivnes" ends the samy way which proves a hidden point.

Spectral
Nov 7, 2006, 05:06 AM
On 2006-11-07 01:13, AkiraXxx wrote:
All in all, its completely the lack of content that should automatically be available thats killing reviews for the game.

Yep.

This lack of content has made this game, to me, nearly unplayable after just 12 days. I can't stand looking at that meadow, relics and Neudiaz any more. I quit caring about leveling my character, making meseta in my store has become MEH because everyone that could buy the equipment I'm making has a level 80 partner machine and is making the same stuff and seemingly selling it at a loss.

I don't play the Fight For Food missions anymore at high level simply because it looks worse than Ruins did for the DC.

Last but not least I found and made a 7 star weapon, a Cresaud, and can't even use it. OOOOOOH BOY! THAT'S LOTS OF FUN! Here kid, have this toy you can't use until we randomly decide you can.

I'm thinking this game has about 3 days to update content or this first month is my only month. I'm no longer happy with my purchase.

SpikeOtacon
Nov 7, 2006, 05:24 AM
On 2006-11-07 02:06, Spectral wrote:
This lack of content...

These four words are all that needs to be said. The fact that all the cool weaponry and whatnot that you could get right off the bat in PSO is gone. The runs aren't as eventful because you know that SOMEONE is going to end up with the same Linear Line room decoration that you've seen in almost every run you've done there. Rares have the 'Varista' effect, in the fact that you ALWAYS find them and can't get rid of them. The game does need the good weaponry unlocked. There are all sorts of new and fun types to try out, and yet we can't even use them!

One of the things that had gotten me to play PSO for so long was because we all enjoyed playing it as a group, and we loved the thrill of the hunt. Hoping that we'd see that crimson box of doom that we'd work our asses off to get to, only to find out that it's a Varista and not what we wanted. It was painful, it was torturous (Akdov used to have nightmares about Varistas, no less!) but we pressed on because it was just so much fun.

So far, all i'm seeing in PSU is grinding and being able to interact with new players. I've met some friendly and some awesome players on here, but I agree that Sonic Team made a mistake in hiding all the goodies for later. That's like baking tray after tray of cookies, letting them sit to cool, and not letting anyone, not even yourself, touch the cookies. It's just plain mean, and teasing.

Pentence
Nov 7, 2006, 05:54 AM
The review ,simply put,is that of what PSU currently is and is accurate but anyone with half their wits about them would know its about the same as reviewing an incomplete game becouse well....it IS incomplete "lack of content" duh dude its like what only the first 30% of it what did you expect.

I too love the action rpg of it and the way the moves look smooth and stylish.I love mmorpgs and have played alot of them especialy the free ones and they all have that bland action atack fallback.Despite being huge and free roaming they just dont add up to cool fights and action that i love too see.Thats what makes PSU so good its not a mmorpg with all your state trees and such and its not about that either its about the actualy skill involed and the fact that your stats dont do all the talking.I have found out more than once that there is real strategy in psu not found in mmos,like thos lil yellow hoping things in relics they are hard to hit in the open but once you lure them into the hallway its game over also timeing and dodgeing then comes into play.

SO yeah its not an mmo so what? It is an action rpg you can play online with your buds an old ad comes to mind here i read way back in the glory days of Gauntlet "whats more fun than slaying a ton of orcs? Slaying them with your buds" and its true.This review is attempting to compare this to games not even in its genre and is reviewing an incomplete version to begin with so it is not even truly viable as a review,its basicly like reviewing a beta.

Rider
Nov 7, 2006, 05:58 AM
I dont really care about reviews that other people give. Some will enjoy the game, others wont enjoy the game. It really is that simple. If a big site gives a low rating to a game, it doesn't mean the game will be bad for everyone. Their word isn't law to what's good or not.

Yes I did read the review by the way.

physic
Nov 7, 2006, 06:40 AM
well its all good to say the reviewers are reviewing an imcomplete game, but then why are they selling an incomplete game, it is true that they start off this game with way to little, even beyond the ranking crap, there just is not enough ways to level, I dont remember any online game that started off with as little content, pso had more simply and plainly. I blame the descion to make this a console game and the need for preplanning release unlocking. 6 seems a bit harsh though, i would rate offline mode a 7 if only for the game design and system

Rainbowlemon
Nov 7, 2006, 06:59 AM
Ok first off - I haven't played the game, and I am eager to. However, reading these mixed reviews, I'm unsure...of course, I'm an avid follower of PSO, and by the sounds of it, I might quite like PSU, but there seems to be some problems:

1) Not enough things to do. Everyone is saying they're max-levelled already, and are doing the same grinding over and over. Already?? Why has a game been released with so little content? Is it really as bad as it sounds?

2) Lots of bugs. Did this just apply to the Beta, or do they still exist in the game? By the sounds of it, the PSU engine is yet ANOTHER manipulation of the original PSO engine, with lots of silly bugs and bad textures/awkward interface to boot. Again, is it really as bad as it sounds?

3) Same gameplay mechanics. I loved the PSO game mechanics, it provided a wonderful way of exploring the world and attacking enemies/aiding allies. However, by the sounds of it, the same things seem to be happening that happened on PSO - people are talking about bad AI. Is this like the old 'enemies getting stuck on each other' type of bug? If so, it would reinforce the statement that the engine doesn't sound to be too good...
And the gameplay - Is PSU similar to PSO in that you hack your way to the boss, kill it, and return, then do it again? Or is there a bit more variety than this? Also, what about quests?

All in all, PSU sounds like a game with borrowed gameplay. Of course, I am not trying to be biased, I adored PSO, but the reason I quit was because of the sheer repetetive nature of the gameplay. The basic story was ok (Although I would have loved it to be a bit more in-depth....) but it never really explained itself.

In short, I would just like someone that plays PSU to let this skeptical fan know why I should buy it. Convince me with tales of intricate storyline and immersive gameplay, and also, an easy to navigate interface. If you can't, I'll just wait out a bit longer for the Wii. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Antimony on 2006-11-07 04:00 ]</font>

physic
Nov 7, 2006, 07:37 AM
the game play is really tweaked, and pretty different than psu, but with the limited content, less so, fo for example is currently super gimped, with only 2 spells per element released, and the spells missing add variety to the style of play for those fos, ra is mission most shotguns, and cant use laser cannon. etc etc
Whats new,
Hunters, the addition of special attacks that level as you use them and gain power, accuracy and new combos as they level more weapon selection, differfent advantages for each weapon, and different properties for downing enemies, or moving them
Force, uhhhhhh well not much new with force with the locked content, other than taking a little more skill... oh yeah and techniques also level and become more effective and powerful with use
Ranger, most changed, various different guns, each with certain advantages, the use of first person mode, with certain weaps teh ability to move while using it.

Whats limited? currently the amount of availabe missions is low, there is absolutely no story as of yet, nothing close to a story online mode, for hunter, not too much missiong other than level 30 skills, and use of high level weaps.
force, a great many spells not there
for ra, limited amounts of shots, bullets limited to 20
levels, waaaay lower than whats presented in offline mode, the levels available now, are probably equal or close to whats available at chapter 4
Items eq, expert classes
is it bad, na its cool. but at the same time if you really want the most value for you buck, buy the game in about 5 weeks from now when in theory we should have a decent amount of content for a starting player, and theortically new stuff added every 2 weeks.

AndyPandy
Nov 7, 2006, 07:52 AM
The thing that worries me is if you have played the offline story mode and completed it, i'm guessing you have now seen 99% of what is locked in online mode.

Im hoping there is more planets than what has been seen already in story mode, and not just remixed stages that we have already seen offline.

Also, the review on IGN and Gamespot will effect sales regardless if you agree or disagree. A naff score from two of the biggest game review sites on the net coupled with an online fee doesnt bode well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AndyPandy on 2006-11-07 04:57 ]</font>

patrickastan
Nov 7, 2006, 08:01 AM
For the most part everything is right. Its not to say most of us can't enjoy it, but it is similar to a game of years past. And with all the other MMO's pushing the envelope and this game staying similar, I'm not surprised to see this rating...anything over a 7.5 would've shocked me given the lack of content so far in the game.

Sonic Team blew it big.

AndyPandy
Nov 7, 2006, 08:10 AM
I think the bottom line is its simply not value for money for Gold subscribers.

I think if Sonic Team where to announce and show that there will be new planets / bosses etc added in the future, it might improve the situation.

At the moment, the offline story mode is better than the online mode.

Zabot
Nov 7, 2006, 08:12 AM
On 2006-11-06 22:33, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:

Seriously!!! you cant just jump into a phantasy star game and give it a review based on WoW, and FFXI. What our(PSU/PSO vets) problem is are little kids and new people coming in, not being used to, or disliking the system.(which is exactly the same as PSO, go in destroy enemies, open door, beat boss, win level) and give it a damn review, i dont give a fuck what you think people im sorry, i love the game, call me a fanboy, but you can go piss away your life on WoW or FFXI as far as im concerned only the people who played PSO should be on it, either that or people who are willing to give things a chance.

Peace Guys

Spectral
Nov 7, 2006, 08:21 AM
On 2006-11-07 02:54, Pentence wrote:
The review ,simply put,is that of what PSU currently is and is accurate but anyone with half their wits about them would know its about the same as reviewing an incomplete game becouse well....it IS incomplete "lack of content" duh dude its like what only the first 30% of it what did you expect.....
its basicly like reviewing a beta.

Oh I feel soooooo much better I paid $60 for a beta and subscribe to it for $10 a month. Don't you?

Brus
Nov 7, 2006, 08:22 AM
man, it seems its a bit too easy for people to crap on this game. I greatly enjoyed the offline game, and sure the online game could use some more content, which we by the way will be getting. It's not like we're stuck with no content forever. Bah, I could careless about IGN's reviews, they're mostly way off.

Sega needs to make it a little less easy for people to tear this game a new one. i love it too much.

OK, you know that review is complete freaking BS when they give the sound a 6.0. That just pisses me off. You can crap on everything else, but I mean come on, most people probably hate the theme song but the sound design and compositions in general I believe are very well done. BS. 6.0 for sound is just BS.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brus on 2006-11-07 05:28 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brus on 2006-11-07 05:31 ]</font>

Spectral
Nov 7, 2006, 08:32 AM
Fine, you love it.

80% of hardcore gamers will rely on IGN and Gamespot's reviews as gospel.

The only people in love with this game are PSO vets, that's no way to build a large base of new gamers.

Auronp
Nov 7, 2006, 08:33 AM
Did anyone read the other review, about the Japanese version? http://www.gamebrink.com/playstation-2/1128-Phantasy_Star_Universe-reviews.html They seemed to like the game, it got a 90/100. Also i think the review was based of two things: the first being that the game graphicaly isn't on par with 360 titles and the fact that the full content isnt out yet. I would've suggested they waited until the updates and all that. Also this game isnt a WoW or FFXI though they are reviewing it on those standerds. Usually i agree with IGN with there reviews, i've only really disagreed once or twice. I'll have to wait for the PS2 version's review since they seem to view them as two different games.

BooChan
Nov 7, 2006, 08:36 AM
I think that was a well written review. I disagree about the story mode being bad. But everything else was pretty much on the money concerning that he could have given the game a higher score if he was more of Phantasy Star fan in general. When I first played PSU I felt the same way as he expressed in the review. But online play grew on me as well as Extra mode. It seems he didn't review Extra mode either. The review is pretty unbiased which is why the score barely got a 6,5. He doesn't hate it nor does he truly like it. But he was judging PSU against MMORPG's which he shouldn't have done. That was his mistake.

Brus
Nov 7, 2006, 08:42 AM
"This is made doubly so by the fact that many of these enemies are the same ones we saw on Phantasy Star Online over five years ago."

Rappies and a dragon = every enemy.
Did he stick the right disc in there?

Axispoint
Nov 7, 2006, 09:13 AM
On 2006-11-07 00:01, Garnet_Moon wrote:
If it's not Warcraft, Halo, Half-Life or Counter Strike, the review will never get higher than a 7. Oh, and even if it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with one of these games or isn't even similiar in anyway, it will still get compared to them. And then it will fail a second time.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/606/606977p1.html
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/440/440103p1.html
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/652/652115p1.html
http://cube.ign.com/articles/363/363071p1.html
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/440/440194p1.html

While I agree that a lot of times I greatly dislike the reviews that magazines and internet sites like to churn out, these games above are prime examples of games that are not like the ones you mentioned, but that all got over 7.0 scores.

Reviews are just meant to be guides, not the end all, be all of weither you should purchase a game or not. It's much better to A)read mulitple reviews, to see what all of the mags and sites are saying and B)read reviews from regular people, like the ones you find at Gamefaqs. And most of the time I find the regular gamer reviews on Gamefaqs to be better for me then mags and sites like IGN, though not always. In the end, the only person who can decide to buy the game is you.

Also, about the PSU IGN review, I feel the same way about the game, but for different reasons since I don't play online. However, on another site, I gave a guy that opinion and also the good points of the game and told him if he liked PSO to at least try PSU, because it is worth playing. It may not be perfect and I may dislike many things about it, but I will still play it and anyway, when I give my opinions on games, I'd rather the person just go rent the game and see if they like enough to purchase, as that's your best bet on something you're not sure about.

Some people do 'live or die' by x's reviews and other then trying to convince them to check elsewhere at times, there's not much you're going to be able to do about them.

That aside, now I'm in the mood to play PSU again http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

IceBeam
Nov 7, 2006, 09:28 AM
actually i agree with the game info..but the game is great in many ways.... only thing i miss is the online story mode like pso ( well play through all level) which was y i had so much fun on pso... but psu is missin that wow factor.... i jus hope there will be a upgrade soon not jus an xtra planet which will fall into the same as the otha planets in time but more in depth gameplay is need or i think ppl will wonder off slowly....wat happen to the high lvl i loved it when i reached lvl 200 in pso and 275 n pso:ep3 now its so low its crazy ....hope they chage that at least

kassy
Nov 7, 2006, 09:38 AM
All the reviews bring up valid points, the reviews seem to mirror the concerns of your average gamer nowadays, which is important if Sega want to enlist new players and not just PSO fans.

Where most of the reviews fail though is when they compare this game to MMORPGs.

This is a PS2 game, make no mistake, comparing it to MMORPGS which are only available on PC isn't a fair fight.

Guitarsmasher
Nov 7, 2006, 09:46 AM
this is bs, IGN or any other company shouldnt judge or rate the online game before any new contents are released or anything. the most they should be able to do is give a score for offline right now. because they arent seeing online mode for its full potential, its at its very absolute least right now. when updates happen, there will be more variety, and more missions, more everything.but......

whats gunna happen in the future is also segas fault.....since they arent giving any updates till a month after its release, by the time the first update comes, everyone will be at the max level, and be ready for this update. thats means that everyone is gunna be bored of this update and craving the next one within 1-2 weeks! its not a very smart move for sega.....the only thing we can do is wait for the update, and go from there

Sev
Nov 7, 2006, 10:19 AM
On 2006-11-07 05:32, Spectral wrote:
Fine, you love it.

80% of hardcore gamers will rely on IGN and Gamespot's reviews as gospel.

The only people in love with this game are PSO vets, that's no way to build a large base of new gamers.

80% of hardcore gamers really rely on IGN and Gamespot? I thought most hardcore gamers knew about all the mistakes that they make and like to try out some things on there own if they're really that interested. Honestly, I don't many gamers at all that rely on review sites anymore, because more then likely one of their favorite games of all time got a low rating and they to this day haven't figured out why.

I'm not comin in here to defend the lack of content, but if you're max level already, you're playing a lot for not liking the game and being bored. You can use the excuse of "We paid for it" but you're still playing ALOT. I honestly, don't go with reviews on anything but computer hardware, and even then I gotta read just about all of 'em... For games, I go out and research myself, maybe even rent it or find a friend that has it. If you play PSU, and a friend has seen you or you've talked about it with them, some of them will want to play it or are playing it now. Personally, I have 5 friends that I've introduced to the game, just from the Beta. And I even explained to them how the first month would be, they didn't really care.

I gotta agree that people are going to feel there's not enough there, even though not all of them will even go do it in the first place. The point is though, that they want it to be available... It's Sega's decision though, I'm not really gonna ponder over it, and like Weak said. Reviews don't really apply to those of use who are already playing the game.

Ryudo
Nov 7, 2006, 12:52 PM
cant spell ignorant without IGN etc etc

Summary of review: omg games that have been out for 6 years and have multiple expansions have more content than this game does on day 1!!!!1

Ryogen
Nov 7, 2006, 01:11 PM
I do agree that there is a lack of content, but I'm not the one to give up on a game so quicly but I will sure find other things to do.

Grigori
Nov 7, 2006, 02:06 PM
I hate the fact that IGN basically focuses on the current amount of content in the game after it's been out for less than a month, and that they focus on some really stupid points (why do I care about my partners jaggy movements if they're still helping me kill off the enemy?). However, I'm still kinda pissed that they released the US version with such a small amount of content.

Still, I don't mind leveling up my characters every now and then, but I wish Sega would hurry up with the updates.

DangerMuse
Nov 7, 2006, 02:07 PM
They basically said the game felt dated, and which nothing can really be done about that.

IGN said the exactly the same thing about FFXI when it was ported over to the 360, only PSU is a new game.

I find the game fun, and that's what counts in the end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DangerMuse on 2006-11-07 11:08 ]</font>

jarek99
Nov 7, 2006, 02:22 PM
I'm surprised by most of the comments here. I figured 90% of this board would defend PSU with a total disregard for logic. But instead, most have used their eyes and seen the writing on the wall. This game isn't much on content. Sure, they haven't released the 3rd planet yet. But, you can bet the next planet will only have 2 new missions, maybe 4 tops. Oh, and they'll just be re-skins of themselves like Neudiaz. Is that really enough to satisfy most people? You'll be tired of the same 2 missions in a couple weeks at best.

Its hard not to think of other popular online games such as WoW, Diablo, Starcraft or Halflife when thinking about an online game. Thats because games like those have set a new mark in their own genre. What does PSU do for the hack n slack genre? And for you idiots that dont consider PSU part of any other genre so we cant have a valid comparison, what has PSU done for itself in 5 years? Almost Nothing.

The login server lets you on once every three or four tries (at least on 360). Voice chat almost never works with all party members. There are really only a handful of unique missions. This game was rushed out the door...we are still playing the beta! When in battle, sometimes your friends are on the other side of the room attacking a monster that isn't there. Thats just pathetic work. The graphics are updated, but only enough to barely pass today's standards. Instead of a Mag, you've got a PM. I hope you NEVER wanna make armor in this game. Go try raising your PM armor level to about 40+ without creating new characters, removing their armor/clothes and dropping it in the storage box over and over. The tradeskills and the game economy are a nightmare. You looking for a profit? In some cases, you'll be struggling just to get your money back. You'll fail with your fully leveled PM enough to where you'll need to price your items to where no one will want to buy them (and sometimes couldn't even if they wanted). And hey, we are only talking about 5 star items here. How much of a headache will an actual rare be? And will you have a PM that can make the rare item you want? And if you don't, I hope you give the board to a really trustworthy friend that wont just lie and say the item failed synth and keep it for himself instead. There are no safeguards against it. I could really go on and on about the issues with this game, but I don't really need to. If you havent been convinced yet, you wont ever be.

I've been looking forward to this game for months. All I can do now is think about how good it could have been if sega put more effort into of it. If it had half the bugs, 3x the content, and a new mission or two about once a month, I'd probably never put it down.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jarek99 on 2006-11-07 11:30 ]</font>

Wheatpenny
Nov 7, 2006, 02:25 PM
See this is the reason I don't go to either of those sites.Because they rip everything to shreds.I am waiting for 1up.com to do a reveiw of the game because they are usualy more fair in their reveiws.

Beezzy
Nov 7, 2006, 02:49 PM
On 2006-11-07 11:22, jarek99 wrote:
I'm surprised by most of the comments here. I figured 90% of this board would defend PSU with a total disregard for logic. But instead, most have used their eyes and seen the writing on the wall. This game isn't much on content. Sure, they haven't released the 3rd planet yet. But, you can bet the next planet will only have 2 new missions, maybe 4 tops. Oh, and they'll just be re-skins of themselves like Neudiaz. Is that really enough to satisfy most people? You'll be tired of the same 2 missions in a couple weeks at best.

Its hard not to think of other popular online games such as WoW, Diablo, Starcraft or Halflife when thinking about an online game. Thats because games like those have set a new mark in their own genre. What does PSU do for the hack n slack genre? And for you idiots that dont consider PSU part of any other genre so we cant have a valid comparison, what has PSU done for itself in 5 years? Almost Nothing.

The login server lets you on once every three or four tries (at least on 360). Voice chat almost never works with all party members. There are really only a handful of unique missions. This game was rushed out the door...we are still playing the beta! When in battle, sometimes your friends are on the other side of the room attacking a monster that isn't there. Thats just pathetic work. The graphics are updated, but only enough to barely pass today's standards. Instead of a Mag, you've got a PM. I hope you NEVER wanna make armor in this game. Go try raising your PM armor level to about 40+ without creating new characters, removing their armor/clothes and dropping it in the storage box over and over. The tradeskills and the game economy are a nightmare. You looking for a profit? In some cases, you'll be struggling just to get your money back. You'll fail with your fully leveled PM enough to where you'll need to price your items to where no one will want to buy them (and sometimes couldn't even if they wanted). And hey, we are only talking about 5 star items here. How much of a headache will an actual rare be? And will you have a PM that can make the rare item you want? And if you don't, I hope you give the board to a really trustworthy friend that wont just lie and say the item failed synth and keep it for himself instead. There are no safeguards against it. I could really go on and on about the issues with this game, but I don't really need to. If you havent been convinced yet, you wont ever be.

I've been looking forward to this game for months. All I can do now is think about how good it could have been if sega put more effort into of it. If it had half the bugs, 3x the content, and a new mission or two about once a month, I'd probably never put it down.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jarek99 on 2006-11-07 11:30 ]</font>

Amen.. I have also been wondering why is this mmo the only mmo that takes the 10 dollas out of your account before you get done with the trial.. I am laughing right now..

Kamica
Nov 7, 2006, 02:51 PM
I enjoy playing PSU everyday for two reasons

1. I have this mindset: "Wow, a content update, this ought to make things even more interesting" instead of "A content update...about time."
I don't expect updates and I play everyday with that mentality. Content updates do not change the gameplay(with the exceptions of new photon arts), which means that if you are bored of the game now, you are bored of PSU. If you think new missions will make your gameplay experience better, think again.

2. I realize that this game is not PSO. Afterall, it does have a different name. You obviously did not do enough research about this game if you fail to realize that some focuses are different from your precious PSO.

jarek99
Nov 7, 2006, 03:05 PM
. Content updates do not change the gameplay(with the exceptions of new photon arts), which means that if you are bored of the game now, you are bored of PSU. If you think new missions will make your game play experience better, think again.
I totally disagree. New content doesn't change the game play, but it increases the desire to play. Whats your favorite TV show? Okay, pick 3 episodes. How would you like to sit down and watch those same 3 episodes EVERY single day. You'd get bored really quick wouldn't you? You could probably recite every character's lines after about a week of it. You want something different. I watch Heros and Lost every single week because I wanna see what happens next. I cant do that with PSU. I already know which monsters will be in the next room. I already know how to easily kill the boss at the end. Its the same thing every single day that I play. Theres nothing new here. There isn't enough variety in levels. I'm not opposed to doing the same mission twice. But you need more variety to break up the repetitiveness.

You obviously did not do enough research about this game if you fail to realize that some focuses are different from your precious PSO.
Bzzzt! Wrong again. I have evaluated this game as it is without considering PSO. I have also looked at it in terms of what has changed since PSO. Regardless of what angle I take, the end result is the same. Its poorly done.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jarek99 on 2006-11-07 12:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jarek99 on 2006-11-07 12:12 ]</font>

AeraLure
Nov 7, 2006, 03:36 PM
One only needs to look at the currently released content level in Japan for PSU and wonder if that is enough to play on regularly for three months, let alone playing on what we have for another 3 weeks (4 until the expert class update) if the release schedule is the same here, keeping mind that we are also paying $10/mo to do that. Each day that goes by is a day I wonder if I can make it to the expert class update, or how much further beyond that I will go (I spend the time now leveling my PMs), and I am a huge PSO fan. I want very badly to stay playing this game, and others to do the same, so we have a large community and SEGA releases more for it.

Reality is, due to PS2 limitations, by and large the extent of this game online will be what is in Extra mode with a few hidden surprises on the game disc for online-only content. Given how far Japan has gotten in three months in terms of content updates, it will be 6-9 months plus before we see that. There is an announced expansion so I am to understand, but I am willing to bet its 6 months away for Japan and a year away for us, if not more.

I'm truly disappointed with SEGA this time. I cut them slack for the cheating issues on the previous versions of PSO that for me, and for many, caused those games to die. We finally get the solution for that, only for them to drop the ball in another arena of development. Gone are inspired level designs, colorful NPCs, online story and quest and mission variations and incentives for constant replay through limited areas. Some of this may trickle out slowly, since I see story missions, one at a time, that came out every two weeks or so in Japan starting just recently, but is it enough? Might be too little too late and its honestly hard to argue with the reviews I have seen for PSU - not because they are biased, but because they are by and large right.

I'm trying really hard. I have obviously played a fair amount, but no more than I did on PSO - and I NEVER got bored of PSO - even on the DC. Only cheating eventually drove me away, first to offline-only play, then to put the game down to await the next version on the horizon. Well, here it is. SEGA by all rights should have put the extent of Extra mode online immediately so there was enough to play through. There's enough common opinion here, on other sites, and in Japan to make this more than obvious. There should have been a means to give us updates beyond that for the duration of time they needed to put out an expansion, without the need to trickle it out to the point where we need to play this game at a snail's pace to not get bored with what is avialable (and again, look to PSO, few ever got bored there).

I respect those that are content with the unfolding updates and what we currently have online etc. Dont get me wrong. I dont understand it, but hey, glad its working for you. I am enjoying it more or less (just feel it actually deserves criticism with a huge margin for improvement, but it does have some good points) until the expert class update and hope for the best.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Nov 7, 2006, 04:54 PM
On 2006-11-07 11:51, Kamica wrote:
if you are bored of the game now, you are bored of PSU.
Very well put. If you don't understand this, refer back to PSO. Ultimate Ruins/Seabed/Desert/Towers is the exact same gameplay you have in normal Forest. Sure, the weapons and enemies are slightly different, but the gameplay is exactly the same.

the PSO/U gameplay formula is as follows:

1. Make a party.
2. Kill stuff.
3. Go to the next room.
4. Kill more stuff.
5. Go to another room.
6. Kill even more stuff.
7. Steps 3-6 over and over.
8. Kill a boss.
9. Do that same mission thousands of times.

Repetitive? Yes.
Boring? Eventually.
Still fun? I think so.

That is the nature of PSU, take it or leave it.

jarek99
Nov 7, 2006, 06:39 PM
Repetitive? Yes.
Boring? Eventually.
Still fun? I think so.

That is the nature of PSU, take it or leave it.
Your position is honest, I'll give you that. You can't blame people for wanting more tho. I didn't blame PSO for only having 4 levels on the Dreamcast. It was the first time an online rpg/adventure game had ever been done on a console. But we are waaaay past those days. People expect more and rightfully so. I didn't import the JP version, but I followed the game through website previews and interviews. We (the players) were lead to believe that we were going to get more than we got. Its a disappointment for many of us. I can understand your position, but do you see mine?

Another thing that I find funny is how some people are mad about the differences between this game and PSO. People tell them, "its a different game. don't expect pso!". Yet, your argument is that the PSU formula is the same as PSO? You cant have it both ways, chief. Theres thousands of games where the objective is "kill monsters and kill the boss over and over". The only difference is, most games have many more different environments to do this in. Sega was so lazy that they couldn't even give us more different looking environments that were just simple re-skins of the ones that already exist.

In a previous post, I asked, what if you had to watch the same 3 episodes of your favorite TV show over and over everyday? How boring would that be? I'm guessing you wanna be that guy. Good luck with that.

Gaderffii
Nov 8, 2006, 09:12 AM
I'm sick of all these damn comparings to WoW

BooChan
Nov 8, 2006, 07:25 PM
I see what your saying Jarek but at the same time PSU in my opinion cannot be compared to WOW or any MMORPG. For one you can only have the maximum of 6 people for parties. And it doesn't take hours to go through missions or raids. I consider PSU an advancement in action RPG's. Even though Sega did take some ideas from MMORPG's. I think where sega slipped up is having a crappy launch and server issues the first two days after release. They also made the game a bit grindy. I would rather prefer the lvl cap start at 100 with PSO,s system of drops. Meseta is hard to come buy as well as weapons. Playing online is more like a job than a game. And going through the same areas over and over for rankings, class advancement,and mesta makes the game seem tedious. Now if online played extra mode where meseta drops are frequent and leveling up is a bit lenient then it wouldn't be so bad. I'm only level 23 after 70+ hours of online play. The game is tedious to the point it requires a degree of dedication. Which isn't so bad its just PSO was a bit more polished but thats after 3 or 4 expansions. So I'm thinking Sega does have a 5 yr plan for this game providing it can keep the players interested in it. I can see at least one offline expansion disc in the next year. Because their is truth to the PS2 limitations.

Natasha_M
Nov 15, 2006, 12:22 AM
Gee lets be honest here.
I was hoping at max PSU will get a 7 but i guess not when your paying an online fee to access a game online where 75% of content is locked up.. yes its entitled to be hurt with the scoring.
Items hunts done in pso just aren't what it is on PSU.. The PMs are lacking in variety compared to PSO. Lets just hope sega releases alot more with the amount they are charging because for a MMOrpg proclaiming Universe worlds its not very big is it?
and oh the graphics yes we all know the graphics are a step down from PSO GC EP2.. I'm a graphics editor and i can pick out their points. Regardless ST will work on it i believe.

btw IGN gave PSO GC a 9/10 so yeh kinda a big leap from PSU i guess