PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War Reviews all outstanding

-Asheth-
Nov 7, 2006, 02:40 PM
All the Gears of Wars Reviews are outstanding there saying right on the level of Halo 2 but different in its own way. here is the link look at the review section i cant remember the last time i saw a console game with that many high reviews its been a little while.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928234.asp

Rubius-sama
Nov 8, 2006, 03:18 AM
If you get the game please let me know if they used Havok physics engine... (should say on the back of the box)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/news/2005-10/10_30_2005_notd_havok.jpg

thanks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubius-sama on 2006-11-08 00:19 ]</font>

Mazoku
Nov 8, 2006, 03:44 AM
I just checked and I don't see Havok written anywhere on the collector's edition version. It does have good physics though.

Blenjar
Nov 8, 2006, 10:57 AM
I think its Unreal physics. someone told me so yea its not a fact.

anyway any1 here has the game? i got mine yesterday...haha this game is so great!
Co-op online!!!

-- Blen

Split
Nov 8, 2006, 06:37 PM
It definitely yses unreal, seeing as it's by the same company that makes Unreal Tournament

RuneLateralus
Nov 8, 2006, 08:29 PM
I got it...and the game is amazing. It deserves all the praise it has gotten.

AC9breaker
Nov 11, 2006, 08:47 AM
Holy shit this game is seriously fucking awesome! My brother came over and we almost beat the game in one night. Totally getting a 360 now becuase of this game!

Allos
Nov 11, 2006, 09:32 AM
I heart chainsaw bayonets.

AC9breaker
Nov 11, 2006, 12:27 PM
I like how when you get a head shot with the sniper rifle, you can sometimes still see the brainstem still attached to the cerebellum and other chunks of the brain as well.

Schubalts
Nov 11, 2006, 05:40 PM
Eh, not worth getting a 360 just for one game, in my opinion.

AC9breaker
Nov 11, 2006, 05:51 PM
You've obviously, never played a good game then. Besides 360 has plenty of good games and plenty of good games on the way. Another one that should be kept on the Radar, Lost Planet from Capcom.

Schubalts
Nov 11, 2006, 10:44 PM
I've played good games, but I won't dish out a couple hundred bucks just to play a single one. That and none of the 360 games really appeal to me, but that's another story.

ABDUR101
Nov 11, 2006, 11:47 PM
On-topic guys. What a "good game is", is entirely subjective to the individual.

As for GoW, tons of fun. Played through the whole campaign with Scrub just abit ago. The sniper-rifle is SEX. Honestly, you know not what bliss is until you repeatedly pop locusts, close-range and afar, with quick draw-ups and trigger pulls. Then there's the moments where Scrub and I go Texas Chainsaw Massacre on everything. *insert flashback* Scrub and I run up to a pillar on opposite sides, rip out our chainsaw bayonets and shred the exact same enemy hiding behind the pillar.. */exit flashback*

The level of detail is very insane, did'nt beleive it until I saw it.

RuneLateralus
Nov 11, 2006, 11:51 PM
Execution = Best Versus mode.

Have done a bit of Co-op, and it really adds so much more to the campaign. I should have to do more of it sometime.

Scrub
Nov 12, 2006, 09:02 AM
On 2006-11-11 20:47, ABDUR101 wrote:
*insert flashback* Scrub and I run up to a pillar on opposite sides, rip out our chainsaw bayonets and shred the exact same enemy hiding behind the pillar.. */exit flashback*

Hahaha, oh man that was so awesome. I didn't even know you could do that.

Yeah, the game is really really fun, but only if you have other people to play it with, online or offline. The single player is good and fun, but it doesn't compare to the multiplayer.

Weapons are pretty cool, too. The chainsaw bayonet is pretty awesome, but it appears to be a little bit glitchy. Sometimes, it'll show you getting ripped apart, but then the enemy falls down dead, or vice versa(if you both rush each other with the saw.) Sometimes, after sawing someone, youll get 'stuck' - you can't move or shoot at all. I expect this stuff to get patched quick, though.

Explosive tipped arrows are cool. Someone taking cover? Shoot the wall behind it, the arrow explodes and kills them. I love it. The best thing to do is to down an enemy, then take out your bow and shoot them in the head with it. It sticks for a second or two, then blows them apart.

Hammer of Dawn is really awesome, too. Basically a giant laser you call down from a satellite, only usable outdoors. A really powerful weapon, as you can even aim it once it's firing, and you can direct it behind cover and walls and such. Blows the shit out of the guy you hit it with. Once saw someone get hit with it, and about 6 seconds later, a leg flew by me the entire map away. Awesome.

Speaking of that, blowing people up in this game is totally awesome. It actually seems to matter where you hit/cut them up, because you can actually tell which bodyparts are still connected to what. Sometimes a leg will still be standing, with the torso disattached and laying on the ground, the bone still jutting out of the leg. One time, me and Abdur still saw an arm, attached to the wall by the hand, with the wrist's flesh completely gone, it was just bone for the wrist. Awesome stuff.

Same thing for Headshots. When you get a headshot with the sniper rifle, you KNOW it. You can hear the skull crunch halfway across the map even, and you can literally see bits of the brain go flying out, and it isn't the same animation each time, either; where you shoot them affects what happens to their head, and I quite like that.

I really like Grenades, too. They're attached to a chain, which you swing around, and when you go into aiming mode you get a little arc to show you where they'll land. You can just blind throw a grenade over some cover, too, and pray for the best. Grenades dont seem to have much a splash radius, and are mostly used for dispersing bunched enemies or getting someone to run out of cover. The only irritating thing is when somebody decides to constantly grenade-tag-suicide every game.

But yeah, overall, really fun game. Waiting for Abdur or somebody to wake the hell up so I can do some Warzone deathmatches.

Mokona99
Nov 15, 2006, 11:31 PM
This game is not so great as people are saying it to be. For me it's around an 8.5. The gameplay is awesome but nothing new and multiplayer will get old easily. Ther's just not enough modes. Where's king of the hill or capture the flag?!! Even the chainsaw gets tiring after doing if for like the 10th time. Another minus is the amount of weapons. Ther's just not enough. Please, don't say I'm a fanboy since I do own the game and currently trying to beat the berserker with the Hammer after Kim dies and Baird joins your team. Still, replay value sucks and multiplayer is really bad as it gets old fast. An average game that got too much hype. One big plus though are physics and graphics.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mokona99 on 2006-11-15 20:33 ]</font>

Rubius-sama
Nov 16, 2006, 08:24 PM
Wow, this game is rapesauce!!! o.O Just got it and played for 10 hours straight....never have I played a shooter for that long in one sitting. The amount of detail put into the game's graphics is beyond belief. Multiplayer is tons of fun. Game gets a 10/10 from me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

solidsolo
Nov 22, 2006, 02:18 PM
i turned it on and had an orgasm.... is that normal??