PDA

View Full Version : cliques, tight social groups, whatever you want to call them

Sord
Nov 9, 2006, 02:58 PM
This topic was brought up in class about a month ago, and the majority of the class decided that while they still existed, they aren't nearly as descriminatory as they are made out to be. Granted, that just pertains to our one school, so I was wondering if anyone else has cliques.

For those that don't know the term it typically is a close group of friends sticking together based on likes/dislikes/social status/popularity/etc that don't let anyone within their social group that doesn't meet their standards. Basically like having your jocks, nerds, goths, fashion divas, or whatever else sticking only with one another and not letting others in.

Squall179
Nov 9, 2006, 03:11 PM
Mine had them

They were far more discriminatory from my personal experience, though I live in a rather odd area anyway.....it was the steriotypical level of cliquiness where I was......

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 9, 2006, 03:45 PM
My high school did have social groupings; this has to be expected, though. The only time you'll ever have groups of people hanging out together with no common interests whatsoever, is when it's forced.

The thing is though, that while the social groupings existed, none were exclusive. One could hover from one to the next without a lot of problems, for the most part. The only problems I was aware of was that the Mexicans and Asians tended not to get along very well, and large fights broke out on several occasions.

Blenjar
Nov 9, 2006, 04:14 PM
I never really paid attention to social groupings but I've seen some. The only thing that they all liked was to fight. We had about 1-3 fights a day in my HS. nuts

-- Blen

RoninJoku
Nov 9, 2006, 04:17 PM
My school had them, but similarly, they were not very exclusive or discriminating. They were really barely noticeable. I'd prefer to say that my school had groups of close friends, which kind of fit into much larger groups that all kind of blended together. It was a very pleasant school. I never saw any stereotypical clique problems.