PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (maybe today)

SuperSubZero
Nov 19, 2002, 07:06 AM
The official release date is this Friday, but, as is sometimes the case, it may arrive in stores early. I've been told it actually may have shipped yesterday, so anxious vendors might have copies in stock today.

If you're looking forward to this game (and you are), and you find yourself within walking distance of your favorite console game retailer this afternoon, see if they got it in. I got nothing to do today, so I'll be cruisin' over to the mall tonight. The one I go to had Unreal Tournament 2003 in a few days early, so I know they get the hot stuff quick.

Spektrum
Nov 20, 2002, 02:57 PM
I want MK Deadly Alliance to, Mortal Kombat kicks a** (well except MK4 and MK Gold)

Fulgore_7575
Nov 22, 2002, 06:22 AM
Mortal Kombat wasn't Mortal Kombat after MK Trilogy for PS1... that game owned. I loved using Chameleon (not the crappy Khameleon from the N64 ver).

Alisha
Nov 22, 2002, 02:59 PM
i am deffinately NOTlooking forward to an mk game

Sedyne
Nov 23, 2002, 12:57 AM
MK ...0WNZ =P I loved that game still do. Can't qwait to see what theyve done. Ive heard only great things about it from toher people and abdur. =) m pumped getting it tomarrow

ABDUR101
Nov 23, 2002, 01:41 AM
I've been playing it for abit.

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Half the characters are locked, as in you have to earn Kombat Koins and find them in the Krypt, which is a massive...massive vault where koffins are kept. Each koffin needs so many koins of a certain color(onyx, gold, blue, green, etc).

There's also alot of artwork, sketches, videos, cutscenes, profiles, arenas, etc to unlock.

The character models and skins are pretty good. For Subzero, when he breathes, his cold breathe can be seen coming out of his nose. When he moves, his icey fore-arms give off the cold effect as well.

Beating up your opponent also causes damage which can be seen. An example would be constantly hitting your opponent in the face during the match. After so many hits to the head, their face gets pretty bloody and alittle disfigured.

Blood does drip down the body. The blood droplets are actually modeled as well. A blood droplet might drip down an opponents face, shoulder, chest, stomach, leg and then to the floor.

Or it could drip off their fore-arms and hit the floor, which leaves a nice splatter mark.(As far as I can tell, blood splatters stay on the arena)

The weapons are rather nice. You take and deal double damage while your weapon is equipped. Having a weapon doesn't stop you from using your characters special moves though(as far as I've seen).

The ability to swap fighting styles at anytime at the press of the "L" button is very nice. You can even perform combos that seamlessly go from one fighting style to the next. Just takes practice, and timing.

My problem was it felt like when I went to do the combos, I was either going too fast, too slow or it just wasn't letting me do the friggen combos.

I know I was hitting the right combinations, but it'd stop after the first or second hit and I'd be left open to the opponent. I guess it just takes abit of getting used to. =)

Either way, you might enjoy it, you might not. I say rent it first and then decide. I'm a fan of MK, and the last incarnation on the N64 was a great let down for myself.

oh..and there's some nice story to this one atleast. If you play Konquest mode, which for me so far seems like just training for each character you play as, it also gives you some slight history on your character(an example is Sub Zero, it says how he was pursued by Scorpian and how Scorpian thought Sub-zero was the one who murdered his family. Then it mentions Sub-zero's brother and the part he played. Then it brings Cyrax into it and how he was sent after Sub-Zero. Etc, etc).

Overall, it's atleast interesting. If you were ever a fan of MK, rent it. You owe yourself atleast that much I think.

SuperSubZero
Nov 24, 2002, 03:46 PM
I did get it on the 19th, man, it's really good. Graphics are excellent and smooth, it's complex, and has enough stuff to keep single player interesting for a while.

I'd put it squarely between Soul Calibur (which is simply the perfect game) and DOA3. It's graphics aren't quite as good as DOA3 (and it's not a style I personally like) but the game mechanics are better. The multiple stances mean every character has the moves list of three separate characters.

I think the most often heard complaint I hear is how the characters move slowly and seem stiff. One thing to remember, this game is kinda lopsided.. The majority of characters are simply huge, and as a result, they don't move like lightning. I think our interpretation of a sleek, stealthy ninja and Sub-Zero or Scorpion are two totally different things. Those two look like they eat small cars for breakfast. The fact they aren't the fastest movers is NORMAL given their physique. Smaller characters like Mei Li and Kitana move considerably faster, but do proportionally less damage per hit.

The Krypt is great. Tons and tons of unlockables. Alot of stupid stuff, but there's some real winners. Cooking With Scorpion is the REASON to get this game. Oh and Sub-Zero, since he is the best character in any video game ever, excluding hentai.