PDA

View Full Version : how do you beat the gol dragon?

Zecht
Nov 19, 2002, 07:19 AM
in episode 2, after the spaceship beta VR part, you fight the gol dragon... i've gotten to the point where it splits in half, but then i just die. are there any weakpoints or things i should avoid or tactics i should use while fighting him? im level 19 right now, going through the mines to level up. at what level do you think i should return to the spaceship and fight him again?

omega3059
Nov 19, 2002, 01:55 PM
beat ruins normal, then attempt the gol dragon, o, and make sure you have a good gun...

Whatley
Nov 19, 2002, 02:37 PM
Use a shot weapon if you're a ranger. You can hit multiple targets with it.

Jeffrey
Nov 19, 2002, 04:54 PM
I just pounded em with grants and went through about 20 mates and fluids and just barely killed it after fighting for about fifteen minutes... Not much of a strategy but it can be done... You can do what somebody else here sugested:

Drop medicine all over the boss level and die intensionally. Repeat that untill the room is filled with more medicine than you could ever carry by yourself... then use it.

Al-Rappy
Nov 19, 2002, 05:43 PM
Dude... the Gol Dragon is easy. Just bring mates incase you get shorted out and use resta and fluids whenever else. When the dragon splits in two, either one counts as damage. There isn't a REAL or FAKE dragon. Just keep slashing and healing.

RavenTW
Nov 19, 2002, 06:59 PM
A oddly effective method of evading the Gol Dragon's Ariel attack is to run in a straight line. For some reason, I get hit less then if I circle the arena. Also, when you get frozen, quickly tap left and right continuasly on the directional stick to break out quicker, and if you short, use a Sol Atomizer.

And Al is right, hitting either will do damage. So bring a Shot and pray they are close together.

ABDUR101
Nov 19, 2002, 07:15 PM
My trusty Rappy Fan does bosses in rather quickly. Just make sure you're strong enough to be able to take his biggest attacks(if you almost die from his ground-shockwave, then go lvl up some more).

The answer to everything is to lvl up hehe. =)

*pssst* Run fast and learn his techniques. Stay at his sides and when he goes in the air, get as far away from him as possible so his "splash" won't hit you. =)

Flame
Nov 19, 2002, 07:26 PM
i beat him at level 14. I was about to die and then my bro said, "dude....the left one is the real one." "oh.." then i likked him. just make sure you've got the ultimate skillage.

Sedric
Nov 19, 2002, 07:54 PM
Here's a Golly beating tactic I used. Hope it helps.

BASIC RULE: TRYING NOT TO GET SHOCKED OR FROZEN.

1) Stay UNDERNEATH his head. Sounds dumb. Yes. But heed me first. He doesn't walk much, and rather "teleports" few feets. This actually reduces the chance of getting stepped on DRAMATICALLY. Also, you can completely avoid his dreaded "breath attack" completely by doing this. Aim for head, wings, or chest. However this also brings and important points that is.....

2) If you can survive his "landing shockwave attack," you can beat him. Why? That's his most damaging ONE-HIT attack. Also, IF POSSIBLE, try to stand just outside the shockwave as he lands. This is hard to do, and sometimes is done by pure luck. But if you did, then you just saved yourself some mates and/or TP.

3) When he splits, stick with one. And unless they are really close together, don't ever get in between the two. This reduces your chance of getting frozen/shocked. But if they are close together, try to stand close with them. Why? It reduces chance of getting hit by either's "breath attack." Also, if they are facing each other while touching each other, (which then I say you're really lucky) stand underneath the "heads."

4) When he goes up in air and does "spinning elemental random rain attack," try to anticipate the raining fireball/iceball/thunderball and dodge. Also, move away from him, but not too far. This is most hardest part, cause he can freeze/shock you then kill you with landing shockwave. If this happens, then run away from him. Easier to see the attacks coming, and even if you're frozen, you won't get "stomped" to death. After he lands, quickly run back underneath his head, to avoid "breath attack."

5) And for last, bring some resist/shock or resist/freeze please. No brainer. It actually really helps. Trust me.

Wakazashi-HUcast
Nov 19, 2002, 09:51 PM
Zecht, I feel your pain. You see, I'm a HUcast, which sucks for fighting the Gold Dragon. The first seven times I fought him, I got massacred. Then I figured it out.

1) If you are a ranger, then this fight will be horrendously easy if you just keep firing at him from behind (he dies very fast, not much HP).

2) If you are a hunter, Do no start your combo from his side. His stupid-ass arm/wing thing will get in your way and screw you to hell. Attack his feet from behind.

3)Learn his pattern. He breaths, then flies, then falls, then breathes, then flies and shooots balls, then falls. Rinse and repeat. When he is halfway dead he will roar and then fly up and drill into the ground, immediately after which he will use his mirror image technique, and each of the two dragons will follow the old pattern individually. Don't stand in between the two.

4) Shock isn't a huge problem as long as you have Mates/Sol Atomizers, but BEWARE OF FREEZING! Being frozen is always the way you will die on the Gol Dragon. Do your best to avoid the ice balls, and NEVER EVER stand in front of a dragon. It cant be difficult to maneuver around because of auto-walk, especially when there are two of them, so I would advise going to the game menu or quick-select menu so you won't slow down when you need to get around.

5) GET HIGH RESISTANCES! Not only will you take damage from his breathing and his balls (stop giggling!), but also you will have a lower chance to be frozen or shocked. Don't just put units in your slots, you also need to have armor/shield with good resistances to begin with. Avoid Flame Barrier, Freeze Barrier, etc. Go well-rounded.

Hope these tips help, because he's even tougher on Hard and V. Hard!

Zecht
Nov 20, 2002, 09:07 AM
what level would you say, for a ranger that is...

im lvl 21 now, going through the mines

should i beat episode 1 first? i didn't beat it in the dreamcast version... maybe it would be a good idea, for many reasons. im pretty sure viridia is supposed to make me see shots more frequently but i haven't seen any yet... hopefully soon. well thanks for the help. and refer to that question above please.

DirewolfX
Nov 20, 2002, 09:21 PM
Freeze isn't that bad. Just shake the control stick and you will break free pretty quickly. Just don't get frozen underneath him. Other than that, I think the strategy against him has pretty much been covered. Just don't get discouraged--he has surprisingly low health and as was mentioned earlier, hitting any copy of him will do damage--like Vol Opt he only has one overall HP total. Try and stick with one of them, though, as reducing the number of clones on the playing field at once will make it much easier to avoid his attacks.

BTW, why does everyone love the Rappy Fan so much? Diska of Liberator/Braveman has greater ATP. Is Rappy Fan faster? Or does it have higher ATA (haven't checked ATA)? Or can it be grinded higher or something?

Boozie
Nov 21, 2002, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I'm lvl. 79 HEH...and am gonna go and fight him in a second. (yes its sad) Although I'm on ultimate http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. But isn't it true that on Vhard or Ult..that you get a rare from him? not all the time but ocassionally? and if so what is this rare?