PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice the similarities in Phantasy Star Universe an

Infiniteque
Nov 10, 2006, 11:31 PM
The music in PSU kinda reminds me of SoA at times. Then the atmosphere of certain areas adds to that. For example, in Dagora City on Moatoob, when you're in the TENORA WORKS Shop it really reminded me so much of the shops in Nasrad and Maramba.

The way the main character runs is somewhat similar to house Vyse runs (except of course the graphics in PSU are much, MUCH better). And the gestures the characters make during dialogue also reminds me of SoA.

Ohtoku City on Neudaiz also reminds me of Yafutoma with the Asian inspired town and water-y landscape.

Nestahima
Nov 10, 2006, 11:34 PM
Well SEGA hasn't always been the best in the creativity and diversity departments. :

Infiniteque
Nov 10, 2006, 11:38 PM
Actually, I think it's a good thing though. I liked that it reminded me of my favorite RPG of all time.

But did anyone else notice this or any other similarities?

Zorafim
Nov 10, 2006, 11:38 PM
It's Phantasy Star and Skies of Arcadia at the same time... It's like going to heaven after living a life of sin, only with a metallic maid with a giant sword.

Randomness
Nov 10, 2006, 11:46 PM
One of the SUV weapons looks like a pair of airships imo, and has hatches on top that fire missiles upward, like the torps in Skies.

PJ
Nov 10, 2006, 11:47 PM
On 2006-11-10 20:34, Nestahima wrote:
Well SEGA hasn't always been the best in the creativity and diversity departments. :

And certainly Capcom, THQ, Sony, etc. beat them out in creativity and diversity

Nestahima
Nov 10, 2006, 11:49 PM
On 2006-11-10 20:47, PJ wrote:

They haven't either. It is a recurring problem in the videogame industries in these days.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I love SEGA. They just aren't the most creative bunch. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nestahima on 2006-11-10 20:50 ]</font>

Xbob
Nov 11, 2006, 01:08 AM
Creativity doesn't equal good. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Creativity for the sake of being original is as bad as cloning. Besides, let Sega bring a little SoA into it, they made it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

SpishackCola
Nov 11, 2006, 01:15 AM
Nothing wrong with a game company putting a little touch of their other older games in new ones.

Bahamut89
Nov 11, 2006, 01:22 AM
I was surprised you didn't mention the semi-transparent weapons that change color with element. Cause that's the first thing I thought of when I saw this topic.

Drannok
Nov 11, 2006, 01:51 AM
On 2006-11-10 22:22, Bahamut89 wrote:
I was surprised you didn't mention the semi-transparent weapons that change color with element. Cause that's the first thing I thought of when I saw this topic.

I was thinking the same thing.

Infiniteque
Nov 11, 2006, 01:58 AM
Yeah, the weapons' color changing it another one.

Realmz
Nov 11, 2006, 03:06 AM
SoA really was a great game i loved ship battles (even if once you got the delphinus, nothign could come close to killing you, esp if you got good at stacking damage....) and Pirate Fina is hot http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rageking
Nov 11, 2006, 03:11 AM
SOA as a MMO game would rock hard.

Zorafim
Nov 11, 2006, 03:12 AM
On 2006-11-10 22:22, Bahamut89 wrote:

I keep wanting to change my elements by pressing x, but there nothing happens...

Diverdan86
Nov 11, 2006, 03:56 AM
On 2006-11-10 20:46, Randomness wrote:
One of the SUV weapons looks like a pair of airships imo, and has hatches on top that fire missiles upward, like the torps in Skies.

MOON STONE CANNON FIRE!

Xbob
Nov 11, 2006, 04:00 AM
All we need is VMU PM feeding and it'll be good huntin'.

Feelmirath
Nov 11, 2006, 04:15 AM
Well, since Skies of Arcadia is my all time favourite RPG, I don't find it much of a bad thing XD

AYE AYE!

Realmz
Nov 11, 2006, 04:18 AM
how many other people made SoA characters in PSO? I had a FOmarl Fina with a Namuci Mag http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Deprimenthia
Nov 11, 2006, 04:56 AM
Aye. Skies of Arcadia is also one of my favorite RPGs ever.

Haha. I had the PSO strategy guide a while back, and it was talking about how you can make very close replicas of Aika, Vyse and Fina. Common sense, but yeah. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Ryogen
Nov 11, 2006, 05:10 AM

SEGA does have creativity (Shenmue and Sonic) but actually there is nothing that have creativity anymore. Halo was kinda ripped from Starship Troopers.

Capcom actualy has the most creativity in my opnion. Then Nintendo would come next.

Realmz
Nov 11, 2006, 05:37 AM
On 2006-11-11 02:10, Ryogen wrote:

SEGA does have creativity (Shenmue and Sonic) but actually there is nothing that have creativity anymore. Halo was kinda ripped from Starship Troopers.

Capcom actualy has the most creativity in my opnion. Then Nintendo would come next.

except shenmue was completely pointless so it doesn't count.

and when you say starship troopers do you mean the movie or the book?

Neith
Nov 11, 2006, 06:38 AM
Standard layout of 'Your Room'- I find it very similar visually to Balamb Garden from Final Fantasy VIII. Even the insignia on the walls is similar.

tank1
Nov 11, 2006, 06:39 AM
Im guessing he means the book since i didnt notice much power armour in the movie.

Parn
Nov 11, 2006, 08:06 AM
Well SEGA hasn't always been the best in the creativity and diversity departments.
Have you ever played the Panzer Dragoon series? Jet Grind Radio? Ristar? NiGHTS Into Dreams? Space Channel 5? Rez? Seaman? Dragon Force? The original Phantasy Star series? Sonic 3 & Knuckles? The list goes on, but there's a bunch off the top of my head.

Collar
Nov 11, 2006, 08:17 AM
On 2006-11-11 03:38, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Standard layout of 'Your Room'- I find it very similar visually to Balamb Garden from Final Fantasy VIII. Even the insignia on the walls is similar.

"That always popped into my mind as well. And Gaurdians are pretty much like SeeD from FFVIII.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Collar on 2006-11-11 05:17 ]</font>

Parn
Nov 11, 2006, 08:23 AM
I'm more inclined to think of the Guardians as a more easy-going variation on the Jedi, heh.

Realmz
Nov 11, 2006, 09:18 AM
On 2006-11-11 05:06, Parn wrote:

Well SEGA hasn't always been the best in the creativity and diversity departments.
Have you ever played the Panzer Dragoon series? Jet Grind Radio? Ristar? NiGHTS Into Dreams? Space Channel 5? Rez? Seaman? Dragon Force? The original Phantasy Star series? Sonic 3 & Knuckles? The list goes on, but there's a bunch off the top of my head.

except that for those to apply they need to be MADE by SEGA not just produced.

Dragoon was made by an internal team Team Adromeda (i believe the newest was made by smilebit, which sega bought a while ago)

Jet Set Radio was made by Smilebit and produced by SEGA, smilebit was not owned at this time.

Ristar, NiGHTs, Sonic, Phantasy Star is Sonic Team (AM-8) (then headed by Yuji Naka, and the most well known Sega dev team)

Seaman was devolpoed by Vivarium, Jellyvision (Vivavarium recently made the Odama games for Gamecube, and is not working on Seaman 2 for PS2. Jellyvision makes the You Don't Know Jack games) neither are part of SEGA.

Space Channel 5 and Rez were made by United Game Artists. That was a second party company made by SEGA, in 2003 it was merged with Sonic Team.

Dragon Force was devolpoed by SEGA and produced by Working Designs.

conclusion, games made by sega in your list SC5, Rez, Dragon Force, Ristar, Sonic, NiGHTs, Phantasy Star, and Panzer Dragoon.

Jet Set Radio and Seaman are owned by sega but not made by them.

am i a nerd that just typed all this stuff about simply because he could? Yes. But it helps me when i know who makes game and who produces them (i'm pretty damn sure SEGA stole some of those ideas from dev teams anyway...)

aargh indegestion!

Schubalts
Nov 11, 2006, 09:27 AM
Yes, you are an uber nerd. You deserve the Crown of Nerdium, for your efforts, though.

Realmz
Nov 11, 2006, 09:39 AM
On 2006-11-11 06:27, Schubalts wrote:
Yes, you are an uber nerd. You deserve the Crown of Nerdium, for your efforts, though.

Sweet!
to be fair i'm learning to be a game developer...

but still a crown!

ShinMaruku
Nov 11, 2006, 12:03 PM

Actually they are the best at it. All the consloe converntions were established by Sega.
That said Skies was one of the ebst RPGs so I don't care. Vyse is the straightest character in RPGs in the longest time.

Kanju
Nov 11, 2006, 12:09 PM
Come to think of it, they way you feed PMs are similar to the way you feed Cupil.

Jaz
Nov 11, 2006, 12:24 PM
CUTLASS... FURYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY... !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShinMaruku
Nov 11, 2006, 12:27 PM
Behold... PIRATES WRATH!
Ahh I love them ougi...

Where there is light, there is darkness, the sword of the dark moons

Banert
Nov 11, 2006, 12:27 PM
Oh Sega, please release PA's based of the S. Moves from SoA. Give us Cutlass Fury for twin sabers, give us Sword of the Dark Moon for single sabers, and add a new SUV that involves two large revolvers and your character saying "C'mon! *shing* Dance for me!"

Rageking
Nov 11, 2006, 01:09 PM
Having ship combat in PSU like skies of arcadia would make this my favorite game ever.

BTW, where is our PVP?

Drannok
Nov 11, 2006, 02:30 PM
I'm gonna have to go play SoA for the 20th time, now... lol.

DizzyDi
Nov 11, 2006, 05:17 PM
On 2006-11-10 20:31, Majiteque wrote:
The music in PSU kinda reminds me of SoA at times. Then the atmosphere of certain areas adds to that. For example, in Dagora City on Moatoob, when you're in the TENORA WORKS Shop it really reminded me so much of the shops in Nasrad and Maramba.

The way the main character runs is somewhat similar to house Vyse runs (except of course the graphics in PSU are much, MUCH better). And the gestures the characters make during dialogue also reminds me of SoA.

Ohtoku City on Neudaiz also reminds me of Yafutoma with the Asian inspired town and water-y landscape.

So everygame with an asian inspired city is copying off SoA?
Or any game with gestures such as shrugging is also copying off of SoA?
C'mon now, really http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Xaos127
Nov 11, 2006, 09:32 PM
Lol how did this get moved to Off-topic ?
The mods need to relax with all the moving, it's not that big of a deal.

Thrash777
Nov 14, 2006, 05:04 PM
Um... its nothing like it really... o_O

Blitzkommando
Nov 15, 2006, 12:59 AM
Similarities between completely unrelated games made by the same company? Pfft, that never happens! Think of it as a good spoof movie. There's little things that you see and hear from completely unrelated stuff, everything from movies to games to real world events. It's a way of allowing them to better connect with the audience as they go, "OH YEAH! I remember that!" or "That's just like..."

navci
Nov 16, 2006, 02:03 AM
On 2006-11-11 06:18, Realmz wrote:

Jet Set Radio was made by Smilebit and produced by SEGA, smilebit was not owned at this time.

Ristar, NiGHTs, Sonic, Phantasy Star is Sonic Team (AM-8) (then headed by Yuji Naka, and the most well known Sega dev team)

Space Channel 5 and Rez were made by United Game Artists. That was a second party company made by SEGA, in 2003 it was merged with Sonic Team.

I believe at the time of making of those games those development teams were still development teams of Sega. They just went through a name change from AM# -> different names.

I mean, when you think about it, the original Phantasy Star series was a product of AM5 -> Overworks, which went into making Eternal Arcadia. :>

I know that is never happening, but I really, really wanna play a super graphic version of NiGHTs.

Thrash777
Nov 16, 2006, 11:13 AM
SoA was developed by OverWorks and PSU was developed by Sonic Team; two different branches of Sega... so any similarity is just co-incidence really...

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 16, 2006, 01:26 PM
Skies of Arcadia also borrowed quite a bit from Phantasy Star IV, which was developed by the team that became OverWorks, who developed Skies of Arcadia. In fact, Skies of Arcadia was designed by Reiko Kodama who was responsible for Phantasy Star, Phantasy Star II and Phantasy Star IV. That a Phantasy Star game should turn out to have similarities to Skies of Arcadia should really come to no great surprise.