PDA

View Full Version : why do males play as female characters? O_o

Mr_Krull
Nov 12, 2006, 12:00 PM
I saw this topic in gamefaqs and I wanted to steal it.
Personally I dont care but I wanna know your reasons and opinions about this thing that seems to disturb horny teenagers ^_^

ABDUR101
Nov 12, 2006, 12:09 PM
One arguement is that if a guy is going to play a game for hundreds of hours at a time, he wants to look at something 'beautiful' the entire time. Another arguement is, if you're going to play a game, you want to be something other than yourself.

I don't so much care in the end, however it's the guys that really lay on the female persona that I find humorous. Before voicechat, these guys would pretend to be girls and get tons of free items because the average teenager is an idiot. =]

As for why guys sometimes play as girls, there isn't really any specific answer. Maybe they base it off the stats, the looks, the attention they get, could be anything and everything.

Vorpal
Nov 12, 2006, 12:18 PM
Not sure, like for instance, I see 90% of the people playing female characters, when they have no advantage on GunZ. Trickster is the only game I've played a female character besides PSO.

Maybe it's for extra security of their identity?

darthsaber9x9
Nov 12, 2006, 12:25 PM
IMO, the RAmarl was the best character in PSOW for solo. So I chose her.

Marter
Nov 12, 2006, 12:50 PM
On 2006-11-12 09:18, Vorpal wrote:
Not sure, like for instance, I see 90% of the people playing female characters, when they have no advantage on GunZ. Trickster is the only game I've played a female character besides PSO.

I guess so.

GreenArcher
Nov 12, 2006, 01:05 PM
Because Green Archer in Gauntlet was a female http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Dr_Lantis
Nov 12, 2006, 01:45 PM
I always prefered play "beautiful" characters rather then "badass" characters.

Dhylec
Nov 12, 2006, 02:00 PM
One arguement is that if a guy is going to play a game for hundreds of hours at a time, he wants to look at something 'beautiful' the entire time.
I think this is pretty much it for me. ;]

DizzyDi
Nov 12, 2006, 02:12 PM
On 2006-11-12 09:18, Vorpal wrote:

Actually on GunZ female characters are faster. Its a proven fact.

watashiwa
Nov 12, 2006, 02:35 PM
Some people are also anal about certain stats too.

For example, they want to do the most damage as a force, so they pick Newman Female since she has the most MST and TP..

Or Cast Female as a hunter, if they want to be a tank, because she has the highest DFP..

DizzyDi
Nov 12, 2006, 02:39 PM
On 2006-11-12 10:45, Dr_Lantis wrote:

Like your avatar right?
LOLOLOLOLOLOL! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

T0m
Nov 12, 2006, 04:35 PM
The Different genders play very differently in PSO, and in this game I select the character depending on the stats. Hucaseal over cast for the added ATA. I played both Ramar and Ramarl, and Humar and Huneywearl. (I found the difference between the latter pair more noticeable.) Foney instead of a male force because this char is for support. The Fomarl is my melee Force, and looking back I think a Fomar would have been better, but a Fomarl does have a very cute tech casting animation while carrying mechs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

There is a long, and boring reason for choosing a Huney as my main Ep3 character, but it obviously doesn't have anything to do with stats.

In other games, when stats and abilities are more equal for both genders, or when, like with Dynasty Warriors, you pick a person and not a class, I do favour female characters, so I'm able to look at a set of hot polygons. ~_~

Schubalts
Nov 12, 2006, 06:53 PM
Because we can. Now go ask girls why they play guy characters.

-Ryuki-
Nov 13, 2006, 03:30 AM
I didn't bother reading what people say, but I can tell you the reason why I would play a female character.

In some games, take Guild Wars for instance, the male characters for each class would normally look ugly or stupid. Even their dances (for those who enjoy messing around in town and just dancing) are dumb. The girls, for some reason, are normally always better looking. There's a few faces, compared to the guys, that will always be hot, while the rest, not. For guys, at least ONE face, per class, is decent looking.

Then, you gotta remember the outfits. Which one has better-looking armor, and whatnot?

On GW, I have 4 female characters, and 1 male character. But, in any other MMO, I'm a guy all the way. With the exception of WoW, which I played the Trial of, and only made females (1 Night Elf and 1 Human).

Squall179
Nov 13, 2006, 04:38 AM
in PSO I played a Hunewerl because the way the stats were set let me play the char more oriented toward my playstyle, Melee and with tehcniques avalible whenever needbe

Xaos127
Nov 13, 2006, 05:22 AM
I use Ayame in Tenchu because she has style.

-Ryuki-
Nov 13, 2006, 06:29 AM
And you like looking at her bum bum. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Mr_Krull
Nov 13, 2006, 08:57 AM
I prefer purple casts but anyways how about them people who wannabe girls?

Shaidar
Nov 13, 2006, 11:21 AM
Haha, these things usually lead to some fun debates so I'ma bless this topic with my first post.

I don't mind males that prefer playing females, it just gets troublesome when they try to abuse it. Yeah, ya all get what I mean. They go all "Kawaii" and sure, it works. Quick way to make friends. Then again, I've never been one to care what gender you are in real life. I won't even ask unless you bring up the subject. After all, its "THA INTARWEB".

On a side note I know a bunch of girls that play males and, of course, males that act kawaii (like me). <3 THA INTARWEB

Vorpal
Nov 13, 2006, 02:23 PM
Another reason I could think of, is that they like to confuse people for enjoyment.

And I still don't know what Kawaii means >.>

KojiroAK
Nov 13, 2006, 02:31 PM
Kawaii means sweet

I know it more at things and persons not at food.
But actualy i'm not sure if it's also at food but i don't think so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KojiroAK on 2006-11-13 11:31 ]</font>

SubstanceD
Nov 13, 2006, 02:52 PM
In PSO I used a Hucaseal most of the time.

Why?

Well I picked a Hunter because I like using swords and other melee weapons.

I picked a Cast because I like being able to see traps and I rather not deal with with status effects like poison and paralysis.

As for why I went for a Hucaseal ( female android hunter ) instead of a Hucast ( male android hunter ), well to be make a long story short, I prefer the Hucaseal's attack animations. When it comes to using Sabres and Swords I find that the Male hunters tend to leave themselves vunerable on the 3rd hit of a 3 hit combo., Female hunters don't. IT's as simple as that. I also like the fact that Hucaseal's have the highest ATA of all the PSO hunters. When you are standing right in front of an enemy the last thing you want is for your attacks to miss.

As others have said before me, sometimes it just comes down to preferential stat growth, somtimes it can come down to preferential attack animations.

Dusk21
Nov 13, 2006, 03:04 PM
My reason is simple - if I'm gonna be playin somethin for hours I'd rather stare at a female character than a male one! Don't say 'oh well its just a bunch of polygons anyways, that shouldn't be in the least a factor.' If people didn't like playin females games like Tomb Raider would have never got off the ground http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Hustler_One
Nov 13, 2006, 04:33 PM
On 2006-11-12 09:09, ABDUR101 wrote:
One arguement is that if a guy is going to play a game for hundreds of hours at a time, he wants to look at something 'beautiful' the entire time. Another arguement is, if you're going to play a game, you want to be something other than yourself.

That bassically sums up my answer... Although I did play female in Monster Hunter because there armor looked cooler (and they had access to what I think is the best set of armor in the game, although I didnt use it.)

Sexy_Raine
Nov 13, 2006, 05:11 PM
PSU has some of the nicest looking females designs, and that's probably why guys love using them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sexy_Raine on 2006-11-13 14:11 ]</font>

Hustler_One
Nov 13, 2006, 05:21 PM
On 2006-11-13 14:11, Sexy_Raine wrote:
PSU has some of the nicest looking females designs, and that's probably why guys love using them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sexy_Raine on 2006-11-13 14:11 ]</font>

Agreed. <3 Newmen.

g0r177az
Nov 13, 2006, 08:37 PM

I don't so much care in the end, however it's the guys that really lay on the female persona that I find humorous. Before voicechat, these guys would pretend to be girls and get tons of free items because the average teenager is an idiot. =]

As for why guys sometimes play as girls, there isn't really any specific answer. Maybe they base it off the stats, the looks, the attention they get, could be anything and everything.

I admit of doing this very thing on pso. Just dont say a word and type you will then get away with it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif. Anyways, most of the reasons have been stated already. I have only read a few posts so this might have been repeated, but sometimes in RPG's the feamle characters have stat bonuses that males do not, such as higher agility or def. Now for any other reason i do not know and dont want to know.

Mio
Nov 13, 2006, 10:52 PM
I play usually both, but i like more the female avatars for messing with her outfit/armor/clothes and i like see those pretty girls swinging big weapons!
But i always let everyone know i'm a male, cuz i don't really like young boys hitting on me.
As for myself, i don't mind other players real gender, they are to me in fact just characters.

Blitzkommando
Nov 14, 2006, 12:37 AM
Because most of the time the male characters are uglier than shit on a stick. I don't do tights, baggy pants, or those stupid shorts that go half way from the knees to the ankles in real life and I won't do it in a game either. Too often to the male characters have that horribly creepy 'pedo-smile' or look like a dirty old panty theif (a la Happosai). The games leave too much to 'badass' male characters.

On the other hand you can easily make a pleasant and simple style for the female characters that looks nice but also isn't overly revealing though you can if you so choose to do so. Plus, on PSOv3 you could make RAmarls with awesome boots, cavalry pants, and a beret to top it off. It ended up being a bit cliche in the end, but damn if it didn't look awesome. The fact that she fit my playing style like a glove was just bonus, same with HUnewearl (which I'll admit was difficult to make without looking like a slut, whore, or six-year old but could be done).

I'm playing a game to escape from reality and what is further away than by not only switching species sometimes, but gender as well?

Some other reasons I've played as female characters:
Smaller target than the big buff male characters (UT2004 anyone?)
Faster albeit generally weaker per hit but faster and more hits (fighting games of various sorts)
Stats that are closer to my playing method (PSO)
Good to look at for long periods of time (Just about any third person game)

Splash
Nov 14, 2006, 01:04 AM
Sums it quite well for me.

But in all seriousness, in the past gaming systems, most of the time, if not all, had to play as a male character. It got boring, and thus swapping to female makes for a better alternative to play the game. Take Pokemon for an example. How much times were you forced to play as a male character? Hmm...I would say a lot, not to mention the older versions such as Red, Blue, and Yellow. It got quite boring. On the other hand, recently for Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald Version, you can choose to play as a female character and makes it more interesting.

For PSO, same reason applies but not to mention the fact that it is limited and getting you to choose that character. For example, I like playing as a Hunter, but one who could also do techs to support in battle. So HUnewearl was my option. Same as with Rangers, RAmarl was my option. Androids I do not like to play, as traps and non-techs don't fit my style.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Splash on 2006-11-13 22:06 ]</font>

Inazuma
Nov 14, 2006, 04:58 AM
i like playing as the best char in video games, and it just so happens that 90% of the time they are female. fighting games, its speed > power. or in pso/psu's case, magic > melee.

-Ryuki-
Nov 14, 2006, 05:05 AM
Kawaii doesnt' mean "sweet". It means "cute".

KojiroAK
Nov 14, 2006, 05:57 AM
On 2006-11-14 02:05, RyukiZero wrote:
Kawaii doesnt' mean "sweet". It means "cute".

This was the word i searched.
Actualy it was more a translation failure from German.
(Süss can mean Cute or Sweet and i didn't remberd Cute, my failure.)

Shaidar
Nov 14, 2006, 07:41 AM
Aye, it means cute in japanese. I'm by no means an expert in japanese and you won't see me mix cute japanese words into my sentences, but "kawaii" has sorta become a way to describe people that go out of their way to act overly cute. I'm not saying there's something wrong with that (people overdoing can be scary though o_O), it's just so common nowdays.

Oh, and I used to have a kawaii HUnewearl in PSO. So adorable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shaidar on 2006-11-14 04:42 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shaidar on 2006-11-14 04:43 ]</font>

Rainbowlemon
Nov 14, 2006, 10:34 AM
I play females exclusively, because they are generally seen as the more agile, sleek and dextrous out of the two genders.

And because boobs are fun, even if they're pixel-boobs.

-Ryuki-
Nov 14, 2006, 11:28 AM
...That was.. forward.

Neith
Nov 14, 2006, 11:43 AM
Mainly escapism.

I tend to play (back a few weeks now) PSO for hours on end, and I do the same with PSU (though not for as long). Playing a Female character is something I couldn't do in real life, so it's kinda fun I guess (not in a perverted way, it's just different). If I'm gonna be running around for hours, I don't wanna be looking at a futuristic me.

Another thing (mainly with PSO) is that I never liked the design of the male characters, whereas I thought the females looked very different to other games I'd played. Because of that, I found female characters more enjoyable to play.

Edit: And, in fighting games, female characters tend to be the faster ones. I prefer fast characters, I think they're a lot more dangerous. Hence why I play Uriko the most in Bloody Roar. Being small and nimble, rather than a hulking great snail is more my fighting style. In fact, I think the only fighting game I use male characters a lot in was Mortal Kombat. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Of course there's gonna be guys who choose a female for the erm, figure, but it's just people's opinions on what they like. Hell, if you see some of the stuff I say on PSU, you'd know straight away I'm a guy http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2006-11-14 08:52 ]</font>

Mr_Krull
Nov 14, 2006, 11:45 AM
lol@antimony! anyways Im getting PSU for sure next week I got monneh! and I reserved it, now I need to get my xbox 360 fixed...so in beta it was pretty disturbing when people were screaming: "BJs for 10 messeta!" and I was like: "what the hello kitty!?"

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 14, 2006, 02:15 PM
One arguement is that if a guy is going to play a game for hundreds of hours at a time, he wants to look at something 'beautiful' the entire time.

That pretty much hits the nail right on the head for most cases, I think. I fail at finding the prospect of looking at a guy's homely ass for hours on end to be appealing. Now, switch that guy with an attractive young woman in a pair of shorts, however, and we may have something here. I've had this love affair going on with a sweet little HUnewearl for years, now.

To punctuate this, I'll also point out that when playing text-based or table-top RPGs, I'll generally play a male. Why? Nothing to look at, anyway.

-Ryuki-
Nov 15, 2006, 08:50 PM
I THOUGHT the name sounded familiar. Uriko's my favorite character in BR.

Schubalts
Nov 15, 2006, 09:56 PM
Fox kicked more ass than Uriko did...I miss Fox http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

-Ryuki-
Nov 16, 2006, 12:40 AM
Pfft. NEVER.

Kevino
Nov 16, 2006, 10:10 AM
on pso the females have a diff stat make. so if i play pso as a female it's because of their stats not how they look. same w/ guys.

Orangepeel
Nov 16, 2006, 08:15 PM
a) The girl characters are hot (XD, not really).

b) RAmarl owns.

Flwl3ssCowboy
Nov 18, 2006, 03:52 PM
On 2006-11-12 09:00, Mr_Krull wrote:
I saw this topic in gamefaqs and I wanted to steal it.
Personally I dont care but I wanna know your reasons and opinions about this thing that seems to disturb horny teenagers ^_^

people wanna stare at the b00bs, well not everyone, considering what i've read in this thread

RyukiZero:
...That was.. forward

lmao

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flwl3ssCowboy on 2006-11-18 12:55 ]</font>

opaopajr
Nov 20, 2006, 05:32 AM
usually, back in the old skool days, female characters were more finesse oriented. from golden axe and streets of rage you'd find the female character could rule to screen if played right. they were at times weaker, but their moves were solid and often covered all the bases. also, if you played them just right, you could take their play to another level beyond button mashing.

things have changed a bit, thankfully. but you still find a lean towards finesse or superb well-roundedness in female characters. it's like an extra challenge within the game, as well as training to find nuance faster to up your skill. that and it tends to make sexually insecure boys/men squirm, especially if they take some "beaten by a girl" thing seriously. kinda like icing on top a cake, it is, like beating someone down with a fan instead of an everyday broadsword.

Zarode
Nov 20, 2006, 05:47 PM
The reason for my character, Female Cast, is tradition. HUcaseal Zarode moves on to Female Cast Zarode.

Most people get it whenever I say "Tradition." Unless they haven't played PSO.

Neith
Nov 21, 2006, 08:02 AM
On 2006-11-15 18:56, Schubalts wrote:
Fox kicked more ass than Uriko did...I miss Fox http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I was referring to Bloody Roar 3 to be honest, my favourite one.

Meira, now that you mention it, my characters in tabletop-wargames were always male http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Daikarin
Nov 22, 2006, 10:16 AM
On 2006-11-12 10:45, Dr_Lantis wrote:

I'm not sure where your avatar fits in that.

Yes, I'm kidding.

Flwl3ssCowboy
Nov 23, 2006, 04:10 PM
On 2006-11-20 14:47, Zarode wrote:
The reason for my character, Female Cast, is tradition. HUcaseal Zarode moves on to Female Cast Zarode.

Most people get it whenever I say "Tradition." Unless they haven't played PSO.

Tradition ftw

Neoswayne
Nov 25, 2006, 07:15 PM
Mabey in the case of the HUnewearl, they are quite good......but....other than that.............................................. .................................................. ...................
.................................................. .......................mabey they want to feel pretty

Tact
Nov 25, 2006, 10:30 PM
On 2006-11-16 07:10, Kevino wrote:
on pso the females have a diff stat make. so if i play pso as a female it's because of their stats not how they look. same w/ guys.

Exactly. That's why all of my PSO characters are gals. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

In a game where gender doesn't matter statswise, my main will probably be a guy (but the rest of them will be gals anyway, haha).

Zorafim
Nov 28, 2006, 01:35 AM
For some reason, I've always played as female characters. As a child, I held more respect towards women than men, and that translated to my character selection. It's gotten to a point where I feel weird playing as a male.
If I could translate my feelings, I'd much rather have a thing of beauty destroy random things than a random hulk or nameless joe. I also tend to bond better with female characters than male.

What I don't understand is why other people think it's weird to play as a character that doesn't share your own gender.

Alisha
Nov 28, 2006, 05:15 AM
On 2006-11-14 01:58, Inazuma wrote:
i like playing as the best char in video games, and it just so happens that 90% of the time they are female. fighting games, its speed > power. or in pso/psu's case, magic > melee.

i dont like you your an elitist loli lover.

moving on....

im a female and i feel out of place playing with a male character. also my mom was always ragging on men so in some ways i probally view them as inferior.

KodiaX987
Nov 28, 2006, 06:07 AM
On 2006-11-28 02:15, Alisha wrote:

moving on....

im a female and i feel out of place playing with a male character. also my mom was always ragging on men so in some ways i probally view them as inferior.

That doesn't sound like you. Have you gotten MySpace'd or what?

Mystil
Nov 28, 2006, 07:17 PM
My username might throw people off, and I don't think name change requests are allowed. I don't even use the name in PSO anymore. But I played girl characters because it's something I didn't experience in a lot of RPGs. It's all dominant guys. Any game with a female protagonist, I'm sure to buy it. I'm not sexist... I just would like to see girls kick ass once and awhile.

And that's when I went to MMO's. I do the ass kicking, with a girl character. End of story.

Alisha
Nov 29, 2006, 05:45 AM
On 2006-11-28 03:07, KodiaX987 wrote:

On 2006-11-28 02:15, Alisha wrote:

moving on....

That doesn't sound like you. Have you gotten MySpace'd or what?

lol myspace. i hate that site. i've been angry lately. maybee i need to play a good fighting game to vent my frustration.

Kevino
Nov 29, 2006, 09:30 AM
On 2006-11-25 16:15, Neoswayne wrote:
Mabey in the case of the HUnewearl, they are quite good......but....other than that.............................................. .................................................. ...................
.................................................. .......................mabey they want to feel pretty

i feel pretty oh so pretty... never mind that was bad. but any way. how many females play as guys on pso i've heard 1 or 2 say that so far. but then again i probabally missed something

Anubis_
Nov 29, 2006, 11:23 AM
Whenever I play a fighting game I always pick the female charecters. Cause no one ever picks them. If your not used to fighting them, It's harder to counter there moves.

But when I play mmorpgs I always play with guys. And I used to flirt with the girl charecters all the time. (key word newbs.. Used too). Afterwards flirting got old and I focused on real life girls. : D

So the big question is.. Should you realy care if a guy plays with a girl charecter? Cause if you do..And you can quote me on this. Your not spending enough time talking to real life girls.

Dont give me that look.. Its a f*cking FACT!! cause I used to ask the same question.

Vorpal
Nov 29, 2006, 12:31 PM
On 2006-11-29 08:23, Anubis_ wrote:
Dont give me that look.. Its a f*cking OPINION!! cause I used to ask the same question.

Fixed for free.

And I do use females in fighting games, and etc games. I just wonder why some MMORPGs.

Sonya from Mortal Kombat, Cat lady {name?} from Bloody Roar, Indian Woman {name?} from Tekken, and PSO of course.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vorpal on 2006-11-29 09:35 ]</font>

navci
Nov 29, 2006, 02:32 PM
Why not? Really.
Why do girls play as guys? Why do human play as beasts?
Why would anyone care? :>
Play whatever. No need to explain.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: navci on 2006-11-29 11:33 ]</font>

Flunky
Nov 30, 2006, 02:11 AM
I can say why I don't play as female characters.

For me, with any game I play, I like to immerse myself in it- the world, the plot, blah blah blah. Considering that I'm a male person, I generally feel more in touch playing a male character- even if I'm playing a male lead with a personality I'm opposed to, I'll feel more at home controlling a male character. With a (clearly defined, at least) female character I always feel like there's a wall preventing me from enjoying the game as much as I could. Anytime I can pick a gender, I'll go male.

Playing something like Metroid? The femininity isn't expressed too much, so I can immerse myself through essentially ignoring the character's gender. There have been games I can admit I never cared too much about simply because of the female lead- it just didn't hold as much interest. I liked Summoner, if anyone can remember that. Never really cared about Summoner 2, if only because it had a female lead. Saying that, I'm glad I was born male... shunning games with male-only playable characters would stink.

In summary: I don't think of it as looking at someone's rear for countless hours, I'm busy seeing the world through my character/avatar/whatever.

Xero_Silvera
Nov 30, 2006, 11:56 PM
I wanted to be HUnter. I love the cast style. HUcast has crappy attack animations. HUcaseal has great animations (double saber, dagger <, sword) so I kept her.

medusae
Dec 1, 2006, 12:22 PM
I'm a girl that plays female, but just look at all of the humanoid PSU male models. That should be answer enough >_>

medusae
Dec 1, 2006, 12:27 PM
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: medusae on 2007-01-05 07:57 ]</font>

Neoswayne
Dec 1, 2006, 10:26 PM
actually from what I saw on this website, PSU female characters are now somewhat better than male ones. Mabey this is a new turn for more guys to play as girls

Zio
Dec 1, 2006, 11:01 PM
I don't know, theres something sexy about a female heroine. In most games you tend to play a male protagonist so its nice to change it up a bit.

Nidramag
Dec 2, 2006, 09:41 AM
I don't know about you, but something looks threatening when a tiny HUnewearl carring a huge sword.She's gonna beat the S*** outta you!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nidramag on 2007-01-05 22:10 ]</font>

PsyX
Jan 3, 2007, 05:17 PM
When I played RF: Online my reasoning was this, RF: Online is so grind based that if I'm sat there staring at something for hours on end I'd rather be staring at something more pleasent than some beafy, sweaty man grunting.

Though in RFO the female models showed a RIDICULOUS amount of skin, I mean...it was just stupid. Sex sells sure, but why not just give the characters pink bikini tops and thongs >.> Would have been better than some of the "armour" on that game.

Oh plus the males on RFO looked absolutely stupid.

Still. I usually make my main a male to use my nickname, then other chars as whatever I feel like lol. I dunno...female characters look better? *shrug*

Thrash777
Jan 5, 2007, 07:18 AM
Want a different experience, different stats, different costumes, or just wanting to be different...

soolayah
Jan 5, 2007, 10:21 AM
what i want to know is: why do people ask what sex you are irl? o_O

PsyX
Jan 5, 2007, 12:27 PM
Because they might start coming onto a female character played by a guy?

It happened in RFO...someone was coming on to me >.>;;

soolayah
Jan 5, 2007, 06:55 PM
even if the pixels really are female irl, i dont really get it anyway. maybe its a guy thing. xD

Kirip-san
Jan 5, 2007, 11:13 PM
I like to feel pretty~nyo.
And...semi-role play~nyo. =x

Mitz
Jan 5, 2007, 11:24 PM
Because I don't want to look at a guy's ass for 2000 hours.

Xeno-Windgust
Jan 6, 2007, 12:29 AM
Actually, I choose a character class according to it's stats. Strangely enough, all of my characters are MALE (I am too, btw) because they seem to fit my play style (melee-power-ish, except for that FOnewm --> tech bonuses).

There is ONE female character I would make in PSO. A Hucaseal (still... it's an Android -_-). Definitely because she's the only class that has some very nice attack patterns with some weapons the others are bad with.

Besides that, it often depends on how I feel at the time and also what game I am playing. For instance, in GW, I have 4 guys and 1 lady (Elementalist, male Es really look X_X). I don't remember any other game that I play as a demoiselle...

burning_card
Jan 9, 2007, 08:57 PM
I choose a female character mainly because they are usually more quick and use magic better (not just this game but others) But another reason is i don't want to stare at a guy running around all day. I'll make one or two male characters but most i'll make female. I feel the strategy of less health and ATP versus mental and ata and evp are a great trade off, makes for more of a dynamic play. (Most games have male character morep owerful but less inteligent and quick, like the phantasy Star series)

Nidramag
Jan 9, 2007, 10:29 PM
well, as I said before...
-male-caries a huge sword around.kills. a lot. great. tough. it says"grr"
-female-carries a huge sword around. little person, big sword. this says "IM GONNA FREAKIN BEAT THE S$@! OUTTA YOU!!!1!! DUCK AND COVER!!! RAWR!!!!!!!1!!!!!!1

Chloe1987
Jan 10, 2007, 10:35 AM
Yea, i play as guy characters as you dont tend to get (not yet) guys trying to chat you up. So you can just play a normal game without annoyance.

VanDarkmind
Jan 10, 2007, 10:51 AM
All my Characters are female, because I like females. The reason that Guys want to see beautiyful characters all the time fits on me. I'm a guy who needs beautiful things in this non-beautiful world. I've only one character that's male: A FOmar, because I think, it represents me in the best way. I tried other males in the past, but thch. They're not INTERESTING.

Merumeru
Jan 10, 2007, 12:10 PM
XD obviously because women are hotter and more customizable and dont have to worry about shit like securing their masculinity, so we get all the prettiest outfits and every stat high but STR >3

xxTrystanxx
Jan 15, 2007, 06:21 PM
Meh. I play both. (and am female) More because when I create a character, I tend to develop backstories for them as well.

More accurately, my characters tend to reincarnate themselves in different RPGs. For example, I participate in a 2nd edition AD&D campaign, in which I play a male high elf wizard... having been taken in as a youngster by an elderly human male, he not only learned to hone his magic talents, but he lived a fairly antisocial existence until the old man "died."(DM's got some funny plot twists coming methinks...) and Morrolan was forced to.. well, socialize. That, and he's gay. Makes for great RP.

Needless to say, though I tend to make male magic-users in the same vein as that character. Key examples of this would have been Morrowind and Fable. I considered making him in PSO, but I knew Morrolan would disapprove of those shoes... >_>

xishifty
Mar 7, 2012, 11:52 AM
My ordeal is very simple. My brother took a hucast and my friend took a ramar. i didnt want to be a Force i wanted to be a ranger. So that left me with Ramarl, Racaseal or Sir stomps alot Racast. I chose Ramarl and loved it didn't even notice she was a female during play didn't care either. When our memory card corrupted i called dibs on Racaseal next and love it also now i just dont know what character i want to play as between the two of them in Pso2. (Fingers crossed for america)

Rashiid
Mar 7, 2012, 11:58 AM
Sweet Jesus necrobump.

GCoffee
Mar 7, 2012, 12:00 PM
Ah, I remember this one... As back then, this gave me a good laugh.

Keilyn
Mar 7, 2012, 01:16 PM
Someone seems to be working the graveyard at PSO world, knock it off! ^_^

Just kidding. Funny, there was an anime that dealt with the exact same story idea, a fictional world where the "First" players appeared who played as "transgender" characters. Oh well, I can also ask why do Females play as Male characters? and then say "Drop it, play what you want" and be done with it, but be prepared to be treated online as your online character gender.

darkante
Mar 7, 2012, 01:27 PM
Haha, this again. Nothing i don´t see often enough on other boards.
Anyway, i find it more strange why people gets upset over something like this with gender and not using the best character.

How does that affect anyone? Who is playing the game? Who pays for the product? Exactly..

Zarode
Mar 7, 2012, 04:26 PM
It's just people projecting their insecurities, is all. It's really funny to watch, especially if the person is an young adult bro~ >:3

Kent
Mar 7, 2012, 05:27 PM
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5010/theleastofyourproblems.png

It needed to be posted.

Please lock this.

Split
Mar 7, 2012, 05:41 PM
Oh my god...guys, this thread is eight years old

Female characters are the shit. FemShep is better voice-acted than ManShep in Mass Effect.

GCoffee
Mar 7, 2012, 05:46 PM

But that's older than most female chars I've seen on PSU!

NoiseHERO
Mar 7, 2012, 05:54 PM
Why play as a girl when you can play as an androgynous teenage boy?

BIG OLAF
Mar 7, 2012, 06:23 PM
After all the times I've seen this "debate", if one could call it that, I still have no idea why people give so very many fucks about what other people do, especially in a video game. The reason(s) are really a moot point. The bottom line should be:

Why do you care? Leave people alone and let them do what they want.

Ark22
Mar 7, 2012, 06:28 PM
Honestly, when I play Monster Hunter or any Japanese games, I usually make girls offline just to look at there ass while playing games. I mean...Do you want to stare at a doods ass?

Alnet
Mar 7, 2012, 06:28 PM

Female characters are the shit. FemShep is better voice-acted than ManShep in Mass Effect.

First post in this thread says 2006, and this is 2012, but yeah, your point stands. This is not only beating a dead horse, but necrobumping it into a zombie horse and shotgunning it in the face because beating doesn't work on zombie horses very well.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 7, 2012, 06:48 PM
Ah, yes, vintage. I remember this thread well.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01423/wine_1423468c.jpg

NoiseHERO
Mar 7, 2012, 07:05 PM
^
The funny part is that people are still saying things on topic instead of "STAWP NECROING"