PDA

View Full Version : Newest Pokemon Discussion - 387-493

PJ
Nov 12, 2006, 02:02 PM
It occurs to me, that Diamond and Pearl have been out in Japan for far longer than a month, and nothing has been talked about all the new Pokemon.

So what I really want is opinions.

When I first saw them, I thought to myself, "Everyone's gonna hate this generation..." Why? Not because I hated the new generation. In fact, I love it. It just seems like a generation of Pokemon that people would hate.

First, let's start off. The starters and legendaries are top-notch, in my opinion. As they should be.

But my biggest problem with this generation is all the baby forms and evolutions of Old Pokemon. I know it was intentional, as kinda a, "Tie up loose ends," kinda thing, but I think they evolved Pokemon that didn't need to evolve, and gave baby forms to Pokemon that needed to evolve. The Pokemon themselves I have no problems with. And I love Mime Jr with a passion. But Roselia did not need BOTH an evolution and a baby. Some of the forgotten/terrible Pokemon needed evolutions. Anyone remember Qwilfish? I know you don't. Luvdisc? Yeah, we know you, but only for being infamously crappy.

There's also a huge lack of fire Pokemon. But that's made up for with the 5 Fire Pokemon being totally awesome (You heard me, 5. That's even less than Hoenn's 6).

There are some more interesting evolutions for Pokemon too. Minomuuchi is a bug Pokemon that gets a secondary type depending on where it faints, and each different, "Form" (Of 3; Grass, Ground and Steel). If it's female, it'll evolve and keep the secondary type. If it's male, it evolves into a new Bug/Flying type Pokemon. Kirlia/Snorunt now have alternative evolutions that are based on gender + items, and Eevee has 2 new forms.

Although I think this could be the last generation of new Pokemon, only because there's a God Pokemon, and the tying up loose ends thing I said before with the evolutions/babies. From what I've heard though, it's longer, tougher (Just looking at the E4 levels, they're more like the original Red/Blue E4, not the crappy easy Johto/Hoenn ones) and the story is more interesting.

I still don't know why they didn't JUST bring it up to 500/501 Pokemon XD

I guess also I wanna mention that I think is pretty cool, all the legendaries (Barring the new trio, the new Regi; Regigigas and Manaphy's baby) have their own exclusive moves (Spoiler in case you don't want to know) Diaruga, the early reveal Diamond-exclusive Time Pokemon, has Time Roar, a Dragon Hyper Beam. Parukia, the Pearl-exclusive Space Pokemon, has Space Break, which unfortunately owns the crap out of Time Roar. Hiidoran, the new Fire/Steel legendary has a move that's like Fire Spin, only doesn't suck like crap, Magma Storm. Giradina, the third of the Time/Space Pokemon (Like Rayquaza to Groudon/Kyogre) is the Death-ruler Pokemon (Which is cool I think, Time/Space/Death), with his attack that's like a stronger Fly/Dive/Dig/Bounce and CAN'T be protected against, Shadow Drive. Kureseria is some moonish Pokemon, has a disappointingly unoriginal Mighty Guard, which is JUST Cosmic Power, exactly the same. Manaphy has Heart Swap, which switches altered stats with the opponent, so an interesting (With the possibility of being annoying) move. Darkrai, some nightmarish Pokemon, has an awesome cheap move that puts both opponents to sleep, with higher accuracy than Hypnosis. And his ability is the MOVE Nightmare (Only not as a move) which only adds to his cheapness XD Sheimi (Along with Manaphy) is the "Mew" of this generation, a grass type no less, has Seed Flare. Same effect as Psychic, only stronger, less accurate and Grass. Aruseus, the God Pokemon, has a move that's 100 Power, 100 Accurate, and depending on the type of Aruseus (It changes depending on hold item), is the type of the move

I guess I've said enough http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

RoninJoku
Nov 12, 2006, 04:55 PM
I like alot of the new ones... but I'm dissappointed with the number of totally original pokes (especially fire). Also, I really don't care for legendaries, since I never use them-But they ARE cool legendaries nontheless.

Very excited about online play! Can't wait to actually delve into the game. I'm kinda glad I went ahead and spoiled all the new pokemon for myself way before actually playing, since I now can go into the game knowing what to expect. And it's the new gameplay aspects that I'm most looking forward to.

Also, it should be said that the walking zen garden is probably the coolest starter ever. With the steel tuxedo coming in close after that. I don't really like Goukazaru (or was it Moukazaru?). Overall these starters kick Hoenn's starters asses.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RoninJoku on 2006-11-12 13:55 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
Nov 13, 2006, 03:25 AM
Pokemon is great. They have a ton of new water and fire types, as well as fighting and flying.

A lot of Basic lvled Pokemon now have evolutions, such as Electabuzz, Magmar, and so forth.

I think, that's pretty cool, but they need MORE NEW ONES, not evolutions or pre-evolutions of existing ones.

g0r177az
Nov 13, 2006, 08:34 PM
I used to be a good pokemon fan when it got real big 'cause the anime, but after a while i seemed to be bombarded with the same thing with a lil bit more added. Meet the pokemon games. I am not saying pokemon sucks. What I am saying is that they are stretching an idea to the point of anirexea. And ryukizero is right on exactly that note.

-Ryuki-
Nov 14, 2006, 05:10 AM
Thank you. I take pride in my opinions and knowledge as a hardcore Pokemon fan =)

Neoswayne
Nov 25, 2006, 05:52 PM
Yes Im still somewhat nastalgic for the Pokemon games and gameplay because it was the first game I ever got. I like the new gameplay, especially the whole breeding thing.....but don't expect me to admit it in public. hehehe

Firocket1690
Nov 26, 2006, 03:13 AM
ehhh, discussions will spark when it's released in america, not everybody imports. :c

As for that last god pokemon or whatnot. I heard he's got hold items for everysingle type (dark, steel, dragon included.) looks like a hueg deer with lightning bolts, no?

Well. I already know this will succeed due to the time (y helo thar 5 time zones?) and the wifi/online capability. Well. It'll also phail for the peopel who can't play any given time of day. (pokemon who only come out certain times of day) And the downside to allowing a pokemon game online is that nintendo will undoubtedly make some online exclusive. Can you confirm that last line?

Oh, and considering this outsold New Super Mario Bros. (which was the top selling ds game prior to pokemon d/p release) by almost 2:1 ratio, it's gotta be doing something right

DonRoyale
Nov 26, 2006, 10:53 AM
Oh, you decided to bring up discussion on these

I may not get a DS, it depends. (I may get one for my brithday, who knows?) If I do, this would be the reason.

Does it have online? I want to get owned by you, PJ. (Yeah, you heard me right http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif)

It sounds fun, but yeah, lack of Fire-types makes it kinda bad.

My teamw ill more than likely consist of:

-The starter that most resembles a dragon
-Buuburn
-(Elec's evolution)
-(Does Jynx have one? I may take it or the alternate Glalie, since I used Glalie in R/S. There were even fewer Ice-types in R/S/E, which is even worse than in R/B/Y/G/S/C, because Drake was harder than Lance IMO)
-A Dark/Psychic combo if there is one
-My HM whore (for travelling)/something worth raising (like Ninjask and Shedinja! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif)

I don't EV, because I believe in fun, not competition. So if you disagree and say "lol that pokémon sucks", bite me, I use my favorites and I'll damn well raise them my way! >:C

I'm not as stoked as you are, obv.

PJ
Nov 26, 2006, 11:44 AM
It'll also phail for the peopel who can't play any given time of day. (pokemon who only come out certain times of day)

Well, in reality, you CAN just change the DS clock XD That works

And the downside to allowing a pokemon game online is that nintendo will undoubtedly make some online exclusive. Can you confirm that last line?

Not yet, but I really hope there are. Why? Online exclusives > stupid events that are even MORE exclusive.

-The starter that most resembles a dragon None! You might like the final water one, though
-Buuburn I thought you hated Buuburn XDXDXD Did you see the light of ugly yet awesomeness?
-(Elec's evolution) Elekible does indeed rock
-(Does Jynx have one? I may take it or the alternate Glalie, since I used Glalie in R/S. There were even fewer Ice-types in R/S/E, which is even worse than in R/B/Y/G/S/C, because Drake was harder than Lance IMO) Jynx does not have an evolution, but the alternative Snorunt is better than Glalie in everyway... which really bugs me, since I love Glalie
-A Dark/Psychic combo if there is one From the top of my head, I can't think of one, but there IS an awesome poison/fighting type Pokemon. Actually, it's type combo sucks OUT OF CONTROL (x4 to psychic XDXDXD), but it looks cool, and is quite strong. Also, there's a new move that VERY few Psychic Pokemon learn (Including Mewtwo) that resets evasion-raising AND makes dark types able to be hit by Psychic attacks
-My HM whore (for travelling)/something worth raising (like Ninjask and Shedinja! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif) Pretty much everything in D/P

I'm not as stoked as you are, obv. I think that's an understatement... despite how excited I am for having/playing PSU, D/P is STILL higher on the excited list for me

DonRoyale
Nov 26, 2006, 01:20 PM
Buuburn looks like crap, but if Magmar pwns that much, an evolution will pwn more >>

PJ
Nov 26, 2006, 03:02 PM
Well, just so you know, evolutions that involve Pokemon from previous generations aren't necessarily all higher stats (For instance; Scyther evolving into Scizor, gains pretty much all stats, but DOES lower speed). What I mean is, it IS a benefit to evolve, but with most cases, it doesn't matter much. I'm gonna take my Magmar for example.

My Magmar, at level 100, has these stat... err, uh, right, I remember, my Magmar is on my battle frontier team XD And Kyle has Emerald at the moment so I'll just guess the stats (Some of them I know off by heart mostly, or atleast the range (The first 2 numbers I know for sure)

HP: 27x
Attack: 303 (Attack raising nature)
Defense: 11x (Defense lowering nature)
Special Attack: 27x
Special Defense: 19x
Speed: 22x

I love my Magmar, those are some fancy stats XD Anyways, to my point

Here's what goes up and down in evolution to Buuburn

HP: 27x - This will go up, slightly. I predict either 29x, or JUST breaking 300

Attack: 303 is an amazing attack stat. And with those chunky arms you'd think, "That stat has to go up!" You know what? That stat will actually remain the same. If you've got a Magmar that focuses on attack (Like mine does), you actually don't NEED to evolve it.

Defense: 11x - Will go barely up, I guess around 130-140. 1 Earthquake still owns it... hell, one dig probably'll do a very hard dent XD (My Magmars weakness... getting hit!)

Special Attack: 27x - This is the significant goer-upper; Magmars attack and special attack stat base are so close really, and normally Magmar does have the special attack higher (Attack raising nature, remember), but with Buuburn, I predict it's Special Attack will go above 300 aswell. That's called TOUGH (300 Attack and Special Attack... XD Sweet)

Speed: 22x - This is what worries me will kill my Buuburn. My magmar has RIDICULOUSLY low defense, which is saved by his decent speed (He's not the fastest Pokemon, by far, but at 22x, it's an exellent stat), but when it evolves, it's gonna go down. I predict around 20x. A LOT of Pokemon of mine fit in the speed range of 21x. This means all of a sudden a LOT of Pokemon get the speed advantage.

During my period of hating Buuburn, I was thinking of not evolving my Magmar. And in the end, it wouldn't have hurt it much.

I can't wait to evolve my Buuburn AND Elekible though... I made them have similiar movesets XD (Electabuzz evolving is very similiar to Magmar evolving, only instead of getting + Special Attack -Speed, it's + Attack - Speed... yes, it also gets slower)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PJ on 2006-11-26 12:02 ]</font>

-Ryuki-
Nov 28, 2006, 08:22 AM
No team for me yet. I'm still deciding.