PDA

View Full Version : Rant: hmm.. what should be done about this?..

Sushi_D
Nov 13, 2006, 01:16 AM
http://valenz.org/d/pics/psu/session2-003.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzIsbO1ZaNs

hmmm.. for refrence this event occured between 0am-1am on 11-6-2006.

the message that was being spammed reads..

[]Broomop.com[]
PSU HACKERS

eventually, people started spamming in retailation as the video shows.

what should we do to go about correcting this matter? or rather, should i just find another game to play?

FenixStryk
Nov 13, 2006, 01:20 AM
LOL! You poor, poor non-360 PSU players. I so saw it coming.

RussInDaHill
Nov 13, 2006, 01:24 AM
LOL...GLAD I SWITCHED IT UP...360 BABY!! (MY PC SUCKED)

Skyly
Nov 13, 2006, 01:25 AM
Is the 360 version hackable?

Xbob
Nov 13, 2006, 01:25 AM
Wow, he can still just spam chat bubbles? That's so last week.

Flunky
Nov 13, 2006, 01:26 AM
First they hack our chat boxes... THEN THE WORLD!!!!

Seriously, one can hope this first step in hacking isn't a sign of things to come... even if I'm playing the 360 version doesn't mean that I shouldn't care about the PC/PS2 version getting hacked, even if only a small hack.

Xbob
Nov 13, 2006, 01:32 AM
I would hardly call chat bubbles in any way a hack of any sort, hardly a glitch, I'd say. It would probably take minimal "hacking" knowledge to do such a thing. Still, it's never a good thing, but I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. Let's hope he has a heart attack or something and keels over dead.

...Nahhh, let's hope he gets banned and has to find another game to ruin.

Sushi_D
Nov 13, 2006, 01:42 AM
On 2006-11-12 22:32, Xbob wrote:
I would hardly call chat bubbles in any way a hack of any sort, hardly a glitch, I'd say. It would probably take minimal "hacking" knowledge to do such a thing. Still, it's never a good thing, but I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. Let's hope he has a heart attack or something and keels over dead.

lol, any exploitable hole can become a threat if left ignored for too long.

360 users are also at risk if anyone with a bit of technical know how feels like having some fun. especially considering that the different versions of this game most likey have similarly exploitable functions. also of note, reverse engineering a format isn't something very 'minimal' depending on what you're doing, yes?

Xbob
Nov 13, 2006, 01:44 AM
Chat bubbles. That's all.

Kupi
Nov 13, 2006, 02:39 AM
On 2006-11-12 22:44, Xbob wrote:
Chat bubbles. That's all.

Y'know, a while ago some cast was running around the Raffon Field Base spamming some obscene ASCII art. You know what I did? I ran him down (naturally, he was constantly on the move) and stuck him on my blacklist. Now, imagine for a moment that someone with this chat-bubble hack makes it look like you're doing the spamming in a crowded lobby. Everyone who knows how puts you on their blacklists. Suddenly, you'll never be able to speak with or join the party of a whole bunch of people, all because of something you didn't even do. I'd say it's a harmful exploit.

BigKevSexyMan
Nov 13, 2006, 02:45 AM
I think Kupi brings up the biggest problem with this hack. Aside how it may lead to more dangerous hacks.

Valius
Nov 13, 2006, 03:16 AM
This sort of thing makes me sick. If hackers want to disect offline games, fine, I hope they have fun! But when you hack an online game you can ruin it for everyone. I hope Sega is actually going to do something about this stuff. Anyway, I don't want to start ranting so I won't say anymore.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Valius on 2006-11-13 00:17 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Valius on 2006-11-13 00:18 ]</font>

Xihyon
Nov 13, 2006, 04:31 AM
I see how its hacking....but its not doing anything to ...make themselves better... the worst thing I can see from explioting the Chat duration transition thing.... Is taking off the word Filters.

Ryogen
Nov 13, 2006, 04:37 AM
Do what you want bro. I'm staying. If 1 hacker incident makes you want to walk away, be my guest.

cobfab
Nov 13, 2006, 04:44 AM
It starts out as 1 hacker, then more will come along later.

Realmz
Nov 13, 2006, 06:24 AM
if i remember right, broomop got his first ban on PSU cause he was doing this (that should be him)

Bleemo
Nov 13, 2006, 06:48 AM
The main reason why cheating/hacking was such an issue on the console PSO's was that the methods were easily accessible to the average player. Anyone could pick up a GameShark, enter the codes given simple directions, and do whatever they pleased. Because of server-side saving alone, it eliminates anyone inexperienced with diverse server hacking knowledge; which is probably around 99% of the player base. Only a select few could accomplish something in terms of hacking, which means there isn't enough support for them to spread anything without it being taken care of before it gets out of hand.

In all honesty, if chat spamming is the best he can do, he has nothing to flaunt. He may as well not spam at all; it's actually pretty pathetic. It's pretty clear this one person we are aware of can only and will only do trivial things; this shouldn't get to anyone.