PDA

View Full Version : Shots fired over consoles?

Oji_Retta
Nov 14, 2006, 04:44 AM
What has the world come to? A couple of days ago I was watching the news and heard a report of gun shots being fired over a video game console. I won't say which one, but this is ridiculous, no?

Alucard_Zer0
Nov 14, 2006, 05:58 AM
that it is ridiculous that people have gone as far as shooting over consoles, regaurdless of the reason why.

Blitzkommando
Nov 14, 2006, 06:25 AM
People have commited suicide over stolen iPods so why not shoot each other for consoles?

tank1
Nov 14, 2006, 06:36 AM
I really hate the world sometimes and the creatures (humans) that inhabit it. (all emoness aside) In all honesty i was waiting for something as stupid as this to come along. I remember seeing on TV one time parents virtually ripping eachothers eyes out to get there children a Cabbage Patch kid so shooting eachother for a console holds little surprise to me.

space_butler
Nov 14, 2006, 11:08 AM
On 2006-11-14 03:25, Norvekh wrote:
People have commited suicide over stolen iPods so why not shoot each other for consoles?

mitchell was an hero! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

ahem, thats enough of that.

yet another reason to scream yay gun controll methinks.

KodiaX987
Nov 14, 2006, 11:20 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2005/20051123h.jpg

Thread over!

Mr_Krull
Nov 14, 2006, 11:47 AM
Its funny 'cause its true!

ABDUR101
Nov 14, 2006, 12:01 PM
We kill each other over everything, why would this surprise anyone? You know what would be more surprising? A day where we don't give each other over anything. Anyone have any idea how impossible that feat is?

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 14, 2006, 01:54 PM
Well Abdur, I'd say that feat is very possible, but it would first require an outburst of the undesired behavior sufficient to dwindle our population down to one or less. We have the weapons to do it, it's just a matter of implementing them.

A couple of years back, there was a fellow that was pissing off his roommate with his Xbox. I guess he had the sound cranked up and was playing Project Gotham Racing or something to that effect with his buddy while his roommate was trying to study. Roommate runs out with a hand gun (I don't recall what make of hand gun it was, but it was a large one, in any case), took a shot, missed his roommate, hit his Xbox. The interesting thing is that the bullet didn't seem to disturb the Xbox much. I don't remember if it was just a matter of the music skipping or the system resetting, but it continued to operate with no significant problems after that, regardless.

So yes, this is not the first occasion when a game console has inspired lead to fly.

Schubalts
Nov 14, 2006, 03:04 PM
Off topic, but I bet if it was a Gamecube, the bullet would have been deflected...

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Nov 14, 2006, 03:50 PM
Probobly. I saw a comparitive movie. GC won.. =^.^=

Wyndham
Nov 14, 2006, 04:47 PM
On 2006-11-14 10:54, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Well Abdur, I'd say that feat is very possible, but it would first require an outburst of the undesired behavior sufficient to dwindle our population down to one or less. We have the weapons to do it, it's just a matter of implementing them.

A couple of years back, there was a fellow that was pissing off his roommate with his Xbox. I guess he had the sound cranked up and was playing Project Gotham Racing or something to that effect with his buddy while his roommate was trying to study. Roommate runs out with a hand gun (I don't recall what make of hand gun it was, but it was a large one, in any case), took a shot, missed his roommate, hit his Xbox. The interesting thing is that the bullet didn't seem to disturb the Xbox much. I don't remember if it was just a matter of the music skipping or the system resetting, but it continued to operate with no significant problems after that, regardless.

So yes, this is not the first occasion when a game console has inspired lead to fly.

I read that article. I still don't think guns are a good thing.

PJ
Nov 14, 2006, 09:16 PM
God damnit Shuri, I was gonna post that

As soon as I read the first post, I was gonna post that

Damn you!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Eihwaz
Nov 14, 2006, 09:27 PM
People tend to do stupid things like that. It sucks, but it's unavoidable.

Kevino
Nov 15, 2006, 09:21 AM
i was accually expecting it.

RoninJoku
Nov 15, 2006, 11:30 AM

Are we sure he was aiming at his roomate in the first place? I was always under the impression the Xbox was his premeditated target. But hell, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Also, this topic makes me a bit scared about going to get my Wii on launch day http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif But if I don't get it launch day, I was planning to off myself anyway! >< ..... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 15, 2006, 01:46 PM
On 2006-11-14 13:47, Oran1324 wrote:
I read that article. I still don't think guns are a good thing.

Eh, if it weren't guns, it'd be knives or capcaisin-tipped razor blades or something... Guns don't motivate people to kill eachother, and regardless of whether they're there or not, the aggression would still be there and would merely be enacted by another means. At least a bullet will kill the victim faster and cleaner than a knife or sword, and if they do survive, the scar is smaller, easier to hide, and less likely to be debilitating. In short, it's more humane, if such a term can be applied to the subject.

Consider that cities in the United States with strict gun control laws have higher murder rates (Washington DC, for example, has the highest murder rate in the country, and the strictest gun control laws).

I'd sooner blame it on the poor state of parenting in the world today, and the ill-conceived notions that it's okay to let your kids do whatever they want, and that anything that causes them to cry must be cruel and unusual, and so on. Parents today refuse to step up and take responsibility for the mistakes they make. They want to blame it on guns, video games, the music industry, and so on. After all, THEY couldn't POSSIBLY have made a mistake! I mean really, they only encountered the child for a cumulative half hour or so a day, so how could they possibly have influenced them to behave in that manner?

So no, it's not guns that are the problem. It doesn't matter anyway, because we have them now, and it doesn't matter what laws get passed, as they will remain out there. It's better that everyone responsible enough to carry one has one, than to leave them exclusively to those who have no regard for how they are used.

Moo2u
Nov 15, 2006, 02:16 PM
He's got a gun!

DizzyDi
Nov 15, 2006, 02:48 PM

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/MixMasterMark/FKL%20STUFF/xboxvest.jpg

Sord
Nov 15, 2006, 06:22 PM
meh, I'm not surprised, though the stupidity of the act still gets to me. I remember when furbies came out, people (mostly moms) were litterally biting one another. Then when yu-gi-oh cards became popular, we had a stabbing incident over them. Some kid made a stupid trade, wanted a trade back but the other person wouldn't do it. So upset trader sics his older brother on the guy. Granted, I live near (20 min drive) what is currently the US most dangerous city, St. Louis. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15475741/) The city has a major gang problem (crypts and the bloods) as well as just overall assholes and criminals. Welcome to dreary St. Louis, Gateway to the West (and your possable death)