PDA

View Full Version : Man Law

kammera
Nov 14, 2006, 01:29 PM
We are having a debate about this at work. Is it ok for a man to cook another man lunch without his prior knowledge? Does the answer change if the cook is homosexual?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kammera on 2006-11-14 10:30 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 14, 2006, 01:47 PM
I think that circumstances are rather important here. Like, is this lunch being prepared for a day-long road trip, or is someone just doing it to bring a surprise to an ordinary day? Because the former wouldn't garner any real problems, but the latter might raise some eyebrows.

Now, a man can pay for another man's lunch without any questions. That just means that the man who got his lunch paid for owes the paying man lunch at a later date, or some other trivial favor.

As far as whether or not any of this changes for homosexuals... I don't think there's a big difference, except that when there is knowledge of homosexuality, all instances of lunch supplying are likely to make the receiver suspicious that the supplier has a romantic interest. In some cases, the receiver may insist on paying for his own lunch, depending on his level of familiarity with the homosexual, his own sexuality and degree of homophobia.

KojiroAK
Nov 14, 2006, 02:10 PM
For this there is a good saying in German :

Einem geschenkten Gaul schaut man nicht ins Maul.
(Don't look in the mouth of a Horse you get as a present.)

With other words, if someone gives you something for free, don't ask if there is something wrong with it.

So i would say if someone cooks you something and don't bind something to it, what he await from you, just eat the food.

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 14, 2006, 02:55 PM
On 2006-11-14 11:10, KojiroAK wrote:
For this there is a good saying in German :

Einem geschenkten Gaul schaut man nicht ins Maul.
(Don't look in the mouth of a Horse you get as a present.)

We have the same saying in English, but I think the meaning comes across better the way you translated it. We usually say it as, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth," meaning that the horse was a gift, but often misinterpeted to mean that the horse somehow brings gifts. Also, I think a lot of people don't understand that you look a horse in the mouth to get an idea of how healthy they are.

ABDUR101
Nov 14, 2006, 03:14 PM
I like the addage that no one needs reason to do something good for someone else. If more people did nice things when they felt like it, rather than worry about whatever 'messages' it could be sending, everyone and everything would be better off.

"Here, I made you lunch." "Cool, thanks man."
Rather than: "Here, I made you lunch" "oh..uh..cool..thanks."(Is he gay? Is he trying to say something? Does he expect me to make HIM something??)

An act of goodwill is an act of goodwill.

As for if the answer changes if the cook is a homosexual, sure it changes if you're a god damn simpleton who gets bothered by such things. In which case you don't deserve the act of kindness and the cook made a mistake in thinking you were mature in mind enough to appreciate it.

Why would it matter? Would it bother the guy if some ethnic minority made lunch?(Not ethnic food, but any kind of food) The only reason an issue should arise, is if cleanliness is an issue. I would'nt want a very un-cleanly person making me food, though I'd appreciate the effort put into it and want to return the favor. Food is food is food, it's not a "Lets fuck" or a "You're hot", it's a meal, and maybe the guy cooking likes to be nice in such ways. Maybe thats his way of taking the edge off of social groups, thats his 'offering' to the table, so to speak.(and fittingly)

Split
Nov 14, 2006, 04:54 PM
depends on wether or not the guy's girlfriend helped him

Sinue_v2
Nov 14, 2006, 05:44 PM
I don't know about the homosexual ammendum to the question, but it's alright so long as you word it properly. Don't say you cooked them lunch. Say you cooked lunch and there's a shitload of leftovers on the stove if he wants them.