PDA

View Full Version : GC: Cheating as simple as a mouse click away? >_

Agent_Reav
Nov 20, 2002, 12:11 AM
I was going to put this as news but PSOW seems to be a bit inconsistent lately as to what they decide to put up so here goes: NCSX has just listed a product that allows you to put Gamecube save files on your PC using a USB linked device. This should make it easy for persistent cheaters to manipulate their save files and copy them back to a GC memory card :/

Edit: URL deleted because this helps promote cheating...which is the same thing as posting cheat codes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2002-11-19 23:49 ]</font>

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Nov 20, 2002, 12:12 AM
Here come the dupes X3

Etrigan
Nov 20, 2002, 12:14 AM
Makes me wish they had charged for the first month.

Neo-Zenji
Nov 20, 2002, 01:07 AM
This is not good might make controversy....

Wewt
Nov 20, 2002, 08:51 AM
How cool... since nearly all cheaters know how to edit hexidecimal digits on PSO, this'll probably screw it up entirely. All they need is a program to do it with - the PC version of a Codebreaker, if you like.

However, this might not be as bad as you think. Hopefully, if a file is tinkered with via this device, the game will recognise it, and re-initialise the game save. Hopefully..

Ruby-chan
Nov 20, 2002, 10:01 PM
Yes but at the very least it'll only let them edit the save files. Although it can be used for cheating, there are a lot of constructive uses for this product.

Speaking of this, I already mentioned something about this because this might be a way to get those snapshots off our memory cards and onto our PCs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ruby-chan on 2002-11-20 19:05 ]</font>

RedFox
Nov 25, 2002, 04:19 AM
looks as if this device will only allow editing of save files... the days of PK are still (hopefully) far off...

Jizzah
Nov 25, 2002, 04:58 AM
On 2002-11-20 05:51, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:
How cool... since nearly all cheaters know how to edit hexidecimal digits on PSO, this'll probably screw it up entirely.

You couldn't be any further from the truth. Almost ALL PSO cheaters know jack shit about hex. About the only thing you'll be seeing is duplicate characters, but thats it.

TeamPhalanx
Nov 25, 2002, 09:50 AM
sar·casm (särkzm)
n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

3. The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit1.

Jizzah
Nov 25, 2002, 09:53 AM
http://www.orbit3d.com/bbs/captobvious.gif

3 days of no sleep makes you miss parts of sentences. I just skip through most of the posts.

DJ_Monkey
Nov 28, 2002, 09:51 PM
On 2002-11-25 06:53, Jizzah wrote:
http://www.orbit3d.com/bbs/captobvious.gif

3 days of no sleep makes you miss parts of sentences. I just skip through most of the posts.

Dude, that picture rocks XD

Wewt
Nov 29, 2002, 02:24 AM
On 2002-11-25 01:58, Jizzah wrote:
You couldn't be any further from the truth. Almost ALL PSO cheaters know jack shit about hex. About the only thing you'll be seeing is duplicate characters, but thats it.

If you can enter a code into the cheat device, you already have knowledge about hex editing. You do realise the numbers to start with on codes are 00000000, right? ALL ZERO. People change them, to what they want, creating the desired cheat. It'll be even easier to do with a hex editor on the PC. All you have to do is find the value of what you want to change.

The PC will create even more cheaters. Why you may ask? Very simple reason... you don't have to go out and buy the cheat device, you can just download it.

ULTICOMP
Nov 29, 2002, 09:49 PM
I'm sure through the magnificent power of Linux you can hack into your GameCube through a BBA and not only look at what's on the memory card but what's on the DVD as well and beable to make copies of games. If you go online with the GameCube you may even be able to hack into other people's files and take stuff or delete them or whatever you please. That would be interesting to see. These are only theories though. Sadly I'm not currently running Linux but instead XP. I'm gonna have to get my friend to give me Red Hat 8 so I can maybe look into these possibilities. Would you guys like that? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

DJ_Monkey
Nov 29, 2002, 11:20 PM
I'm surprised Barubary hasn't posted his thoughts on this. He has said several times that he just uses a packet catcher to change the packets(data sent by modem) sent from him Gamecube to the servers. The hex codes used by the game will be a lot longer than the Gameshark codes..because the hex codes store less information per digit, which means it will take more digits to store the same amount of data. Think of it this way...each Gameshark digit can store 62 possible instructions, while each hex digit can store 16 possible instructions. It will obviously take a longer string of digits for the hex code to store the same amount of data as the Gameshart string can in a shorter string. And we all know that the longer a string of data, the more complex it is.

And that is assuming that PSO stores un-encrypted data. If it does store encrypted data, then you can power the complexity of the cheat by how strong the encryption is. I'm sure Baru would confirm that for us...

Ruby-chan
Nov 29, 2002, 11:54 PM
Um.. a digit on the code of a gameshark and the data you'd see in a hex editor are the same, Each one represents numbers 0 to 16. n.n; One just edits memory addresses (The first part of the code) while the other is dealing with the save file.

You are very correct about the save file being tougher, and there's a good chance there's some sort of protection to try to make sure you don't alter anything.