PDA

View Full Version : What are your Top 5 games....

2Deuce
Nov 17, 2006, 12:17 AM
What are your top 5 favorite games that don't have the words "Final Fantasy", "Zelda", "Metal Gear", "Mario" or "Phantasy Star" in the title?

NOTE: I only added Phantasy Star because this is a PS forum, I know most wouldn't consider PS to be in the same "league" as the other 4.

Figured by excluding those few, I'd get a little more diverse answers, instead of "My top 5 are Final Fantasy VII, Super Mario Bros. 3, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Zelda: Link to the Past, and Metal Gear Solid 3!!"

My top 5 are:

1. Legend of Dragoon
2. Kingdom Hearts
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
4. Pokemon Gold/Silver
5. Halo

Most of you guys probably disagree with those, but I <3 them. >_>

RoninJoku
Nov 17, 2006, 01:27 AM
Ha... I was just thinking about this the other day so I should be able to come up with some stuff... Glad we are excluding the obvious ones http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

1.Starcraft
2.Banjo-Kazooie
3.Killer 7
4.Secret of Mana
5.Sonic 3 (perhaps Sonic should have been excluded as well)

Runner up-Armored Core (any of em... they're all the same)

I wasn't really sure if Smash could be included... It doesn't expresly say Mario or Zelda... but I figure it might as well... So I decided not to include it.

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Nov 17, 2006, 01:32 AM
Nights
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Viewtiful Joe
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
Dance Dance Revolution (the series as a whole, no particular mix)

honorable mentions: Legend of Mana, Resident Evil Outbreak, Streets of Rage 2, Magic Carpet,

Shigecki
Nov 17, 2006, 02:03 AM
1 - Beyond Good and Evil
2 - Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic
3 - Halo : Combat Evolved
4 - Jade Empire
5 - Kingdon Hearts

Just outside the top 5 : The Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion, Jak and Daxter : The Precurser Legacy, God of War, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

Shattered_weasel
Nov 17, 2006, 02:08 AM
1. Vectorman
2. King of the Monsters
3. Killer 7
4. World of Warcraft
5. Capcom vs. SNK 2

-Ryuki-
Nov 17, 2006, 02:52 AM
1. .hack//GU
2. Kingdom Hearts II
3. Final Fantasy Viii
4. Pokemon Emerald
5. Tales of Symphonia

It should be more like "Which series", because it's hard to specify your favorite all-time games =P

Skett
Nov 17, 2006, 03:54 AM
1. Yoshi's Island
2. Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete
3. Fire Emblem
4. Twisted Metal 2
5. Metroid Prime

Still, I have five other "favorate games of all time" and, excluding the first two, they're in no particular order. I just picked three from my eight favorate games and stuck them up there.

RoninJoku
Nov 17, 2006, 03:57 AM
^RyukiZero^ Hey bro! Read the directions will ya?!

Curses! I can't believe I forgot to put NiGHTS on my list! >< Bump it to number 2ish for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

~so hard to come up with a flat order... since the games are all so drastically different ><

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RoninJoku on 2006-11-17 00:58 ]</font>

kurisu1974
Nov 17, 2006, 04:27 AM
Streets of Rage II
Phantasy Star Online
Final Fantasy VII
Soul Calibur II
Sonic the Hedgehog

Whoops didn't read the topic correctly. So instead of PSO and FFVII: Skies of Arcadia and NBA 2k-series (either one, I don't care http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kurisu1974 on 2006-11-17 01:30 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Nov 17, 2006, 04:57 AM
Half-Life (I associate expansions as part of the game)
Half-Life 2 (Again, expansions included)
Age of Empires II
Kirby Super Star
Super Mario Bros. 3

This is just the list that came to be off the top of my head, but the first three definitely are my top three as those solidified my interest in gaming, and especially those genres. Another funny thing about them is they essentially have turned me to far and above prefer computer games over the consoles even though I play both.

Edit: Favorite other thans? I would say that if it is mentioned so many times by so many people of diverse groups that it would be considered inherently part of the creme de la creme. I suppose if I were forced to ignore those series I would put in Katamari Damacy simply for the originality but I frankly wouldn't put it in my top five outside of this situation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-11-17 02:00 ]</font>

RavenTW
Nov 17, 2006, 09:48 AM
1. Soul Edge/Blade/Calibur series (There was a time when Soul Edge didn't have an eye)
2. Seiken Densetsu 3 (So I play translated ROMs, the game still rocks)
3. Metroid Prime (MP2, while playable, scuked compared to the first. I just hope 3 plays well)
4. Anubis: Zone of the Enders (Japanese name sounds better, but it's ZOE2)
5. Sonic Adventure 2 (Before ST screwed over the idea of Shadow)

Pokemon Red takes honorable mention.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RavenTW on 2006-11-17 06:49 ]</font>

tank1
Nov 17, 2006, 10:48 AM
5 Sould Calibur 2
4 Street Fighter 2 Turbo
3 Pop 'n' Twinbee
2 Twinbee Rainbow Bell adventure
1 Doom 2

Mwabwetumba
Nov 17, 2006, 01:54 PM
1: Ultimate Doom / Doom 2: Hell on Earth / Master Levels of Doom 2
2: Halo : Combat Evolved
3: Dynasty Warriors 5
4: Halo 2
.. those are the ones that does not start with Phantasy star-.-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mwabwetumba on 2006-11-17 10:55 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 17, 2006, 02:27 PM
On 2006-11-16 21:17, 2Deuce wrote:
NOTE: I only added Phantasy Star because this is a PS forum, I know most wouldn't consider PS to be in the same "league" as the other 4.

I would consider Phantasy Star to be in the same league. It started out on a less popular system, sure, but Phantasy Star was the first console RPG in North America, and it opened up the market for Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. Without Phantasy Star, we may not have seen any RPGs here until Final Fantasy VII (which I'm confident would've ended up here one way or another).

Uber-hit franchises asside, here's my list.

Doom
Starcraft
Lightspeed/Hyperspeed (really obscure, very old PC game, but very immersive in its time)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Skies of Arcadia

Not necessarily in that order.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2006-11-17 11:28 ]</font>

Hustler_One
Nov 17, 2006, 02:33 PM
On 2006-11-16 21:17, 2Deuce wrote:

1. Legend of Dragoon
2. Kingdom Hearts
3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
4. Pokemon Gold/Silver
5. Halo

Most of you guys probably disagree with those, but I <3 them. >_>

/gasp
1. Legend of Dragoon <3
2. Legend of Mana
3. Starcraft and Starcraft: Brood War
4. Warcraft II (At least when it first came out)
5. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Shaidar
Nov 17, 2006, 02:46 PM
Top five games eh? Err..can't pick five. So I'll just say Starcraft.

Out_Kast
Nov 17, 2006, 03:30 PM
1.Kingdom Hearts II
2.Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
3.Soul Calibur III
4.Kingdon Hearts: Chain of Memories / Kingdom Hearts (can you tell I'm a fan?)
5.007: Nightfire

The two that didn't quite make it are: Metroid Prime and GTA:SA (for the laughs http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif )

astuarlen
Nov 17, 2006, 03:31 PM
Ah, favorite games topic... younger, slightly less popular brother to "What kind of music do you listen to?" But I never tire of answering. Who doesn't like talking about themselves and their tastes? ;>

In order of awesomeness:
1. Baldur's Gate (I/II/ToB)
2. Age of Empires II [multiplayer]
3. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (damn fine OST, too; rock on, Ben Houge, rock on)
4. Goldeneye 007 [multiplayer]
5. Uhh... difficult to choose a fifth! SSB/M or Riven (Myst sequel) or Roller Coaster Tycoon or...

Augustin
Nov 17, 2006, 04:12 PM
1. Halflife 1, 2 (with expansions/mods) (halflife 1 had better story)
3. Starcraft (with expansion)
2. World of Warcraft (If only PSU would be that big with as many quests/items/environments etc... wow..)
4. Perfekt Dark / Resident Evil
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, for NES ( I just had to include an old favorite xD )

well this might not be THE top 5, but they're some of the most enjoyable i think... not sure about the order either.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Augustin on 2006-11-17 13:16 ]</font>

Allos
Nov 17, 2006, 04:14 PM
1. RE 4
2. GTA: SA
3. WoW
4. Metal Gear Solid
5. Perfect Dark

DonRoyale
Nov 17, 2006, 04:51 PM
Ooh, that's a good one.

5. Ratchet And Clank

And this is from someone who doesn't own a PS2. I love R&C, awesome game series.

4. Banjo-Kazooie/Banjo-Tooie

One of the best puzzlers I've ever played. A bit kiddish, but hey, we don't want Banjo to have a bad fur day, do we? >>

3. Halo

The sole reason I bought an Xbox. Too bad the end of H2 immediately turned me off from the series and didn't persuade me to buy a 360 for H3...>>

2. Perfect Dark (N64)

Best shooter I've ever played. Incredible weapons selection, up to 8 players at once (of course, only up to 4 humans), about 30 different CPU intelligences, the non-Gameshark pwnage cheats that you get to mess around with (that beat Goldeneye by a wide margin to say the least), and so many different game styles you don't know what to do with.

1. Pokémon

...Why should I need to explain this? PJ, Snick, that's for you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

NUFF SAID RIGHT THERE http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Oops, no PS or Zelda, didn't see that >>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SereneShadows on 2006-11-17 13:54 ]</font>

Zuenza
Nov 17, 2006, 08:07 PM
These games are in no particular order:
1.Tales of symphonia
2.Kingdom Hearts II
3.Dynasty Warriors 5
4.Super Smash Brothers Melee
5.Probably Tales of Legendia

Rei-San
Nov 17, 2006, 08:14 PM
For me:

1. Phantasy Star Universe (use to be Phantasy Star Online)
2. The "Tales of" Games (Symphonia was my first)
3. Smash Bros. games
4. Halo
5. The Legend of Zelda games

So yeah, the Phantasy Star games are my favorites. That's why I signed up at PSOWorld. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

2Deuce
Nov 17, 2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone, even to you guys that didn't read the conditions. >_>

Anyway just to re-iterate. These are supposed to be lists of your top five games, EXCLUDING THE FOLLOWING SERIES:
- Final Fantasy
- Legend of Zelda
- Metal Gear
- Mario
- Phantasy Star

Again, thanks for the replies everyone. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Xaos127
Nov 18, 2006, 02:09 AM
You just cancelled my Top 10, but whatever!
Excluding those..
[1] Resident Evil 4
[2] Chrono Cross
[3] Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
[4] FIFA Street 2
[5] Jade Empire

Sord
Nov 18, 2006, 02:46 AM
1. xenogears (not xenosaga, blegh)
2. Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind (I would say oblivion but I don't actually own it)
3. marvel vs. capcom series (no specific 1)
4. insert kirby game
5. insert kirby game

Squall179
Nov 18, 2006, 02:58 AM
in no particular order

Virtual On series
Armored Core series
Megaman Zero series
Vectorman 1 and 2
Ratchet and CLank