PDA

View Full Version : Story Mode Online question

DoubleJG
Nov 17, 2006, 03:59 AM
Must the online connection be stable when playing Story mode online via pc? Or once you are in the actual game, you can disconnect your internet?

A2K
Nov 18, 2006, 04:11 AM
I don't think you need to maintain the connection, but I can't be certain.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 19, 2006, 10:04 PM
You don't need to maintain the connection - it's only needed to allow Gameguard to authenticate and update itself so long as you're not playing in network mode. This only needs to be done once each time you load the game.

The whole thing is pointless however, since Sega shouldn't really be concerned with folks hacking offline, only online. Why they don't just have GG authenticate in network mode is beyond me since the two modes have seperate executable files for offline and online.

Itsuki
Nov 19, 2006, 11:59 PM
To elaborate the previous statements, this is if you're talking about playing offline story mode.

If you are referring to online story mode, then yes, you need to stay connected the entire time since its no different from any other online mission.

Uncle_Pobatti
Nov 20, 2006, 12:29 AM
Out of interest, I know of a way to host a spoof Gameguard server locally and have PSU connect to that. It's good because it allows PC users who don't have an internet connection (but can get hold of the files) to play the game, but if you so much as connect to the PSU network once, the game will update and your local Gameguard spoof trick won't work anymore.

Basically there IS a way to play Story and Extra mode OFFLINE WITHOUT requiring any internet connection, but it's only usable by people who only EVER play offline. It doesn't allow hacking online OR offline (since Gameguard still runs but remains on it's original shipped version).

If you ever wish to remove the fix and play online, all you need to do it delete one line from your HOSTS file and connect to the network, PSU and Gameguard will automatically update to the latest versions and you'll have exactly the same installation as everyone else - the only problem is that if ever you lose your net connection and need to use the fix again, you'd have to reinstall PSU to get everything back to version 1.0

I know where the files are, but I will not provide a link because I don't know of the legality of them - even though their sole purpose is to allow legitimate owners of the game to still be able to play if and when they lose their internet connection.