PDA

View Full Version : PSU: My Ps2 has been on seince wednesday

Khabarakh
Nov 20, 2006, 01:44 AM
and im scared to turn it off. seince i got psu, my ps2 has been having disk read problems with ALL games. it says reading disk for about half a second when i put it in, then does nothing (in the ps2 browser). I open the drive and close it again, and this repeats 5-10 times or so, then it catches* or something and reads, and loads the game.
There are absolutely no in game disk errors, only on start up, when I first turn on the ps2. It just does n othing with the disk in. And! it has been gradually taking more ejecting and unjecting to get it to read the disk, so I've left it on seince wednesday to avoid having it go kaput all together. i know, its time for a new ps2 but i need this one to last till christmas. whats wrong with it/ is it safe to leave it on till xmas?

-Shimarisu-
Nov 20, 2006, 01:49 AM
If it's dying anyway I don't see why leaving it on all day would make any difference, or do I understand why you're asking us.

Leave it on til it dies, I guess?

Garnet_Moon
Nov 20, 2006, 01:49 AM
Open up your PS2 and use a soft cloth to wipe the lense. That fixes my disc read errors. Of course, I do this quite often because the disc tray cover was removed to accomodate my slide card, but yeah. Shouldn't be much different than whatever is wrong with yours. I've had mine for, oh, two or three years. Cleaning the lense works every time.

Though, I would wait for more opinions before you go and rip your PS2 open.

BloodDragoon
Nov 20, 2006, 02:05 AM
My PS2 has been running almost non stop for 2-3 years... >.> No problems at all.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 20, 2006, 02:09 AM
I'm reminded of an odd conversation I had with a friend of mine who was a chopper mechanic in the army.

He said that he was working on choppers so often that if they would keep them on 24/7 and not cause the streign of turning them on, take off and landing, etc, every single time, then it wouldn't need much servicing. So then I asked him about fuel, and he said mid-air refueling. Then I asked him about switching personell, and he said ropes or pulling up next to catwalks.

>.>

So, I tried his theory with one of my numerous personal fans. I left it on for six months straight, and turned it off for a day. When I turned it on it wouldn't start. I had to manually turn the blades to get it going, and even then it wasn't going too fast.

If I left it alone it would've been fine.

I guess his insane idea is right. The Army should listen to him. >.>

Yoruichi
Nov 20, 2006, 02:41 AM
I'm pretty sure whiping the lense won't help, if it does great. But your problem is gonna need a few tools like Ura said and basicly pop it up and mess with a little white dial turn it for 3 clicks and it should be brand new.

Garnet_Moon
Nov 20, 2006, 02:46 AM
Put the PS2 on it's side, at a 45 degree angle, upside down, or stand it vertical. I don't know why but before my older PS2 broke this made the DRE's go away. Got some odd looks from my roomies, but screw them. It worked so I didn't care.

And no, I didn't pull this outta my ass. I swear to God this worked. As odd as it sounds, it worked. The PS2 still died, but the DRE's vanished somewhat. Got alot less of them.

<.<

Yoruichi
Nov 20, 2006, 02:47 AM
lol he should just look up the diagram and disect it, i watched my bf do it. Seemed easy enough without breaking unless you rip the tape off top casing to the power buttons...thats a no no

Khabarakh
Nov 20, 2006, 03:14 AM
On 2006-11-19 23:09, Garnet_Moon wrote:
I'm reminded of an odd conversation I had with a friend of mine who was a chopper mechanic in the army.

He said that he was working on choppers so often that if they would keep them on 24/7 and not cause the streign of turning them on, take off and landing, etc, every single time, then it wouldn't need much servicing. So then I asked him about fuel, and he said mid-air refueling. Then I asked him about switching personell, and he said ropes or pulling up next to catwalks.

>.>

So, I tried his theory with one of my numerous personal fans. I left it on for six months straight, and turned it off for a day. When I turned it on it wouldn't start. I had to manually turn the blades to get it going, and even then it wasn't going too fast.

If I left it alone it would've been fine.

I guess his insane idea is right. The Army should listen to him. >.>

curious set of advice, thanks. interesting experiment. My fan is on permanently. but my ps2 has been opened before. so thats not a problem. the only thing im really worried about is the disk. my soul calibur disk was made... inoperable by my ps2 i think. most of my disks have a misty lookin... smudge? on the read-side. and I think my ps2 is causing this.

So I'll try wiping my disk with a glasses-wiping-cloth...lol. thanks. I LOVE PSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... eh... yeah...peace.

Khabarakh
Nov 20, 2006, 03:21 AM
On 2006-11-19 23:41, Yoruichi wrote:
I'm pretty sure whiping the lense won't help, if it does great. But your problem is gonna need a few tools like Ura said and basicly pop it up and mess with a little white dial turn it for 3 clicks and it should be brand new.

lol wtf? XD

pkazama
Nov 20, 2006, 03:26 AM
most ps2 stop reading after a while, but the worst screen I ever seen in my life on a ps2 is the blood red screen. I've seen where in your case it will be at the main menu and all but this one would give you a bloody red screen saying something about it not being ale to play the cd. I forgot the exact words cus it was more than a year ago.

ViciousXUSMC
Nov 20, 2006, 05:23 AM
my old PS1 would only work upside down http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

One day it stoped working, somwhere I read to do that and it has worked perfect upside down for like the last 4 or 5 years.

GeoHolyhart
Nov 20, 2006, 08:04 AM
Your PS2 lasted a good while I would guess. Let it die. Send it on a boat down the river burning. Save up for a PS3 if possible, regardless of the Wii's awesome taunt. It may be kind of lame to buy another PS2 just for PSU. Unless maybe, someone gives it to you for like 60 bucks.

Pandatron
Nov 20, 2006, 08:22 AM
Can't say this hasn't happen to a couple of my friends when trying to 100% the various GTA series x.x. Ya as already stated leaving it on won't hurt it at all unless you turn it off then you'll probably have to use some crazy scheme like turning at an obtruce angle, or using manuel cleaning methods of some sort. Either way whatever path you take g'luck.

Ryudo
Nov 20, 2006, 09:31 AM
My Ps2 has been on since february, I'm pretty sure leaving it on will be ok

lordzanon
Nov 20, 2006, 09:44 AM
smells like dust to me, heck i got the same ps2 since it came out, its that old. all i do is either plop in a cd lens cleaning cd, or blow some air with my computers duster blower and walla problem solved.

Xaos127
Nov 20, 2006, 08:02 PM
Try leaning it at a 74 degree angle and plug the controller into port 2 and when you get the disc reading error just pretend you're playing International Track and Field and mash those Circle and X buttons.