PDA

View Full Version : I listen to a lot of VGM (video game music)

Dr_Lantis
Nov 20, 2006, 12:58 PM
I'll say that 95% of my playlist (about 10,000 songs) consists of music from games and remixed music of games; anyone else enjoy listening to VGM?

Wyndham
Nov 20, 2006, 01:22 PM
I listen to videogame music too, but not too much.
what kind is your favourite.

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Nov 20, 2006, 01:40 PM
Me too. I have way more midis then adx, cds and mp3..

Mwabwetumba
Nov 20, 2006, 01:43 PM
I find VG music more emotional (not EMO) than ordinary music.. Id say 80% of what I listen to is VG music, be it Phantasy Star, Dynasty Warriors, Halo, random SNES tunes and whatnot..

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 20, 2006, 02:22 PM
I've downloaded a lot of stuff from OCRemix.org, and my wife refuses to listen to the music if she's aware that it's remixed from a game. I've caught her off-guard a couple of times, got her hooked on a song, then told her it's from Megaman 2 or something. Also, if she hears such a song twice in one month in my car, she somehow comes to the conclusion that I'm obsessed with it, and she's sick of it; that she's heard it too many times. Then I'm just, "You've heard it twice."
"You listen to this all the time!"
"You have been present for its playing twice. Ever."
"No, you've played this a lot more than that."
"Not when you've been around."

This is just about the only sort of argument we ever have, but the point is, indeed, I do listen to a lot of video game music; I've got a Final Fantasy VI remix going right now, as it so happens.

Eihwaz
Nov 20, 2006, 02:42 PM
I have a large chunk of game music in my collection as well. I have the soundtracks of all of my professed "favorite games" (with a few exceptions), and several soundtracks to games I haven't even played.

My favorite game soundtracks, in terms of actual listening music, would include all of the Silent Hill soundtracks, ICO ~Melody in the Mist~, Jet Set Radio Future, and anything from Guilty Gear X2.

I still love game music from, say, Majora's Mask, but things like that tend not to get played a whole lot. I only have them for the sake of having them, and the occasional listen.

I'm also really big on officially released remix/arranged albums. I just recently downloaded both albums by The Black Mages, who play synthesizer-heavy metal covers of various Final Fantasy battle/boss themes. They're incredibly enjoyable listens.

Shaidar
Nov 20, 2006, 02:52 PM
On 2006-11-20 11:42, Eihwaz wrote:
...and anything from Guilty Gear X2.

Guilty Gear got such an awesome soundtrack. And thats not just because I'm into Metal. It's awesome in its own right.

I can't say I *mostly* listen to game music, but I've got quite a bit that I love. Hard to pick a fave though.

RavenTW
Nov 20, 2006, 04:01 PM
I was singing "This is Halloween" while doing the Halloween Town world in both Kingdom Hearts, does that count?

I do like game music, but I haven't bothered to make a custom playlist, I just listen to Launch. But yeah, videogame music is some of the best.

Zuenza
Nov 20, 2006, 04:47 PM
^Heh,I also find myself humming "This is Halloween" when I am in Halloween Town.

As for me,I also love video game music,look at my profile in the topic"Information about Yourself".Some of my favorites are most of the songs from Sonic 3D Blast(Sega Saturn version)
and...hmm...And music from Final Fantasy and Tales of Symphonia.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zuenza on 2006-11-20 18:23 ]</font>

Parn
Nov 20, 2006, 04:58 PM
I have an extensive videogame music soundtrack collection. I just recently ordered another Commodore 64 remix album, in fact. My three favorites are the original release of the Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG Album (not the memorial release), the Albert Odyssey Gaiden soundtrack (extremely rare), and the Eternal Arcadia OST (also extremely rare due to it being mail order only through Enterbrain).

Dek
Nov 20, 2006, 05:18 PM
My favorite VG music (Top 3 series, at least http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif )
Legend of Zelda
Megaman X
Tetris (the original)

Sayara
Nov 20, 2006, 05:41 PM
I listen to the Bemani songs.

You know, DDR, Beatmania stuff, Pop'n Music the most though

Blitzkommando
Nov 20, 2006, 06:30 PM
I have around 60GB of VGM music. A good 20 of which is in lossless format. It amounts to about 17000 songs. The remaining 80GB is non-VGM related. Much comes from OCRemix, but the majority is some sort of original whether it be a recording from the game or the actual soundtrack. In answer, yes, I listen to VGM but I also listen to quite a bit more as well.

Xaos127
Nov 20, 2006, 07:56 PM
The Final Fantasy games had some amazing music, but if I was listening to it i'm pretty sure i'd want to start playing the game.

Moo2u
Nov 20, 2006, 08:57 PM
Jet Set Radio rocks. Also do the Black Mages.

Dr_Lantis
Nov 20, 2006, 09:24 PM
Some of my favorite OSTs are:

Final Zone by Motoi Sakuraba
Brave Fencer Musashi Tsuyoshi Tekiko
Super Smash Brothers Melee by Tadashi Ikegami Shogo Sakai, and Takuto Kitsuta
Star Ocean: The Second Story also by Motoi Sakuraba
Phantasy Star Online ep, 1 and 3 by various
Gunstar Heroes by Jun Irie, and Nazo Suzuki
Sonic the Hedgehog 3/K (but not the re-done mixes of 3) by Sonic Sound Team (and Michael Jackson if you believe the theory)
Streets of Rage by Yuzo Koshiro
Vagrant Story by Hitoshi Sakamoto

...and many other soundtracks I'm forgetting and a wide variety of remixed OSTs.

Black_Fang
Nov 20, 2006, 10:39 PM
I have the Kingdom Hearts Soundtrack and some Okami. Thats about all I can think of right now.

Seraphimon
Nov 20, 2006, 10:53 PM
Well often the RPgs uselly have the best music. They kind of tunes that get you into the game and make you feel all emotional inside. I dont see any other genre having greater music then rpgs. MGS had good music aswell. which i love to hear and some of the old school rpgs.

AC9breaker
Nov 21, 2006, 02:19 AM
Einhander Soundtrack
Rage Racer Soundtrack
Street Fighter 3rd Strike Soundtrack complete collection with all the remixes
Streets of Rage II soundtrack
and Dirge of Cerberus Soundtrack.

These are currently my favorite soundtracks out. Gears of War is coming up there fast and PSO ep3 use to be up there.

Eihwaz
Nov 21, 2006, 02:03 PM
On 2006-11-20 23:19, AC9breaker wrote:
Einhander Soundtrack

Oh, fuck me. I forgot.

The Einhänder OST is a great album of techno. If you like electronic music, check it out. Also, Rez's soundtrack is a very good listen. It's mixed slightly differently than in the game, but makes a compelling stand-alone listen.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2006-11-21 11:04 ]</font>

REJ-
Nov 21, 2006, 05:27 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Chrono Trigger soundtrack.

Black_Fang
Nov 21, 2006, 06:35 PM
On 2006-11-21 14:27, REJ- wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Chrono Trigger soundtrack.

I've heard of that game but never really found out anything else. Is it good? What's it about? It sounds pretty cool if you ask me. -.-

Jaspaller
Nov 21, 2006, 06:43 PM
Surprisingly enough I liked some of the pokemon colosseum music. There were a few tracks that were good and then the rest of it was crap to listen to. I listen to a lot of VG music like xenogears, MMX, Final Fantasy, PSO etc. Jet Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio Future had some great tracks too.

Dr_Lantis
Nov 21, 2006, 08:10 PM
I find Chrono Trigger to be a little overrated; it has a few good song (such as Chrono Trigger (the opening theme) and Frog's Theme) but it seems overrated on the whole.

Eihwaz
Nov 22, 2006, 01:08 PM
Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs ever. It also has a really, really good soundtrack. It's got one of those massive, hulking, 3-disc soundtrack affairs. Square do their soundtracks right - they loop each song a couple times to make it proper length.

The game itself is also totally worth checking out, Black Fang. The story is one of those great stories where you set out to do one thing, and then find yourself looking at the bigger picture, leading to a change in your plans.

Shaidar
Nov 22, 2006, 04:56 PM
Chrono Trigger is a really really old SNES RPG and yeah, I gotta agree with Eihwaz above, it's one of the best RPGs around. I don't know if I would have the patience to sit down and play it nowdays, but still alot of good memories. O_o Really cosy game.

I'll always be in love with Magus' Theme by the way.

RoninJoku
Nov 22, 2006, 05:14 PM
Most definitely my favorite type of music to listen too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I remember way back in the day, just popping in various games in my Genesis and playing the sound test all day http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif good stuff!

Yeah, most of my favorites are from games, that's for sure http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Tweengo
Nov 24, 2006, 08:51 AM
What about the music in F-Zero GX where it says press start and shows some ships racing, and also some of the pilots' music in the Pilot Profiles? They're good to listen to. Also the Jungle area, Forest, Mines, Ruins, Ep 1 and 2 last bosses on PSO. That music owns. The mines music makes me feel all sad though.

Neoswayne
Nov 27, 2006, 08:41 PM
Love me some VG Music
SSBM, JSRF, KH 1&2, PSO, DDR, Final Fantasy, Mario, ZELDA BIG TIME, and others.

Tact
Nov 27, 2006, 08:47 PM
I have Smashing: Live! (Orchestrated SSBM music) and the Halo 2 soundtrack.

I wish I had more though. Especially DDR Mario Mix. That rocks.

Neoswayne
Nov 27, 2006, 08:52 PM
I love the orchestral ssbm plus I'm thinking about getting the Halo 2 soundtrack