PDA

View Full Version : BSOD/FSOD real problem or hoax?

zerohoax
Nov 21, 2002, 09:46 PM
Well i've seen quite a few people saying its happened to them and what not and they lost everything. My question is I dont want to have to be carrying my rares around two at a time and lose them all if the bsod/fsod is real does it erase all weapons or only the things that were not equipped?

Any and all help would be appreciated. I think its a shame I should even have to ask =

Thanks in advance.

ginko990
Nov 21, 2002, 09:49 PM
I have over 140 hours on my character and I havnt had it happen yet. I always carry 3 rares around, If you loose em, Oh well.

zerohoax
Nov 21, 2002, 09:51 PM
On 2002-11-21 18:49, ginko990 wrote:
I have over 140 hours on my character and I havnt had it happen yet. I always carry 3 rares around, If you loose em, Oh well.

I have only about 110 hours and it hasnt happened yet but i dont want to lose my spread needle and snow queen i dont think i could play the game with the amount of anger i would have after losing those. thanks for your help.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Nov 21, 2002, 09:59 PM
Hmmph gonna have to write an FAQ some day to thouroughly explain...
Items that aren't equipped are usually safe from this FSOD. I guess FSOD is your gamecube crashing like a PC. Since you don't get to save when you FSOD, you lose items just like you would if you pushed the power button while online.

Just equipping the item won't prevent it from being lost. When the game autosaves, such as leaving a telepipe, the items equipped are protected, while the others aren't. Just equipping a different weapon won't protect it. Notice how the game saves when you try to drop an item that was equipped when you last autosaved =>,>=;;;

zerohoax
Nov 21, 2002, 10:03 PM
On 2002-11-21 18:59, SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko wrote:
Hmmph gonna have to write an FAQ some day to thouroughly explain...
Items that aren't equipped are usually safe from this FSOD. I guess FSOD is your gamecube crashing like a PC. Since you don't get to save when you FSOD, you lose items just like you would if you pushed the power button while online.

Just equipping the item won't prevent it from being lost. When the game autosaves, such as leaving a telepipe, the items equipped are protected, while the others aren't. Just equipping a different weapon won't protect it. Notice how the game saves when you try to drop an item that was equipped when you last autosaved =>,>=;;;
So what you're saying is that in reality if my GC crashes and FSOD's on me that everything I have equipped is gone? Sorry if this is repetative i just want to make sure I understand you so i know what i want to do with my stuff.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Nov 21, 2002, 10:06 PM
Items in the check room are safe, equipped items are generally safe.
Items like monomates and scape dolls and extra weapons are in peril =>_>=;;;;

--barusnappuru

-Nemesis_
Nov 21, 2002, 10:08 PM
hey, i just gor BSOD'ed today. (thank god i was playing my lev 15) at the end of a TP warp the screen just turned black and Soft reset and disconnect don't work, so you have to reset. to the point, i lost everything in my inventory but what as equipped but the stuff in the check room (bank) was fine.

zerohoax
Nov 21, 2002, 10:09 PM
On 2002-11-21 19:06, SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko wrote:
Items in the check room are safe, equipped items are generally safe.
Items like monomates and scape dolls and extra weapons are in peril =>_>=;;;;

--barusnappuru
Ok thanks a lot thats exactly what i needed to know. My plan was to take say only the spread needle with me and my assit items (monomates and so on) and if it does happen i have more than good chance that i wont lose my weapon.

Thanks a lot for the help it's appreciated.

zerohoax
Nov 21, 2002, 10:12 PM
On 2002-11-21 19:08, -Nemesis_ wrote:
hey, i just gor BSOD'ed today. (thank god i was playing my lev 15) at the end of a TP warp the screen just turned black and Soft reset and disconnect don't work, so you have to reset. to the point, i lost everything in my inventory but what as equipped but the stuff in the check room (bank) was fine.

the last part was a little hard to understand, you lost everything that was not equipped and in the bank right?

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
Nov 21, 2002, 10:14 PM
...at the end of a TP warp the screen just turned black and Soft reset and disconnect don't work, so you have to reset....
You sure someone wasn't joining your team? May have been that =>.>=;;;;;

VulpesMundi
Nov 21, 2002, 11:54 PM
I think a lot of people still get BSoD and FSoD a little bit confused with each other. Let me explain them in detail. I'll also note RSoD and CK below for those who don't know what they are.

BSoD (Black Screen of Death) is a connection error, so you can only truly get this while online. The screen goes black while the program tries in vain to communicate with the PSO server. Typically the background music will still be playing. All you have to do on a real BSoD is just pull the phone cord or broadband cable and wait a minute or a few. The game will realize it's disconnected after awhile and tell you press the start button. Nothing is lost on a real BSoD if you just have patience and wait for the game to realize the connection has been severed.

FSoD (Frozen Screen of Death) is the evil that kills inventories. Sometimes FSoD can happen while the screen is black and some people mistakenly refer to this as BSoD. Like its namesake, FSoD is when the game just completely freezes up and nothing will respond. It's usually accompanied by a looping sound effect that won't stop playing. There is no way to stop an FSoD after it has struck. Just turn off the GC and hope you didn't lose too many good items. Your banked items and anything equipped the last time your character autosaved (online) will still be there when you load up your character. If the FSoD happens offline then you'll lose everything (items, money, and experience) up to the point where you last loaded up your character and started playing. However, everything you had when you loaded will still be intact. FSoD on the Dreamcast was often caused by malicious cheat device users who took pride in screwing with other people.

RSoD (Resetting Screen of Death) was caused by a cheat device. Someone with a cheat device who wanted to annoy people would go into fairly popular lobbies and just zap everyone, causing the console to reset. There was no way to avoid it other than to stay out of lobbies as much as possible. I haven't heard of this occurring on the GC yet, but I imagine it'll show up again as soon as cheat devices hit the store shelves.

CK (Character Kill) was probably the most vile malicious act against other players back on the Dreamcast. A cheat device user used a combination of codes and items in their bank to cause other players in the team to become an NPC found somewhere in the game. The most common of which was NOL. As long as your character didn't auto-save then you could pull the memory card to keep the change from becomming permanent (at the cost of items not saved by the last auto-save). Some ingenious code users came up with a code that also sent their victim into an area on Ragol, which caused them to auto-save and thus totally ruining their chance of salvaging their character. Like RSoD, I haven't heard of this happening on the GC yet. But don't be surprised if it shows up down the road.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2002-11-21 21:17 ]</font>

zerohoax
Nov 22, 2002, 04:15 AM
On 2002-11-21 20:54, VulpesMundi wrote:
I think a lot of people still get BSoD and FSoD a little bit confused with each other. Let me explain them in detail. I'll also note RSoD and CK below for those who don't know what they are.

BSoD (Black Screen of Death) is a connection error, so you can only truly get this while online. The screen goes black while the program tries in vain to communicate with the PSO server. Typically the background music will still be playing. All you have to do on a real BSoD is just pull the phone cord or broadband cable and wait a minute or a few. The game will realize it's disconnected after awhile and tell you press the start button. Nothing is lost on a real BSoD if you just have patience and wait for the game to realize the connection has been severed.

FSoD (Frozen Screen of Death) is the evil that kills inventories. Sometimes FSoD can happen while the screen is black and some people mistakenly refer to this as BSoD. Like its namesake, FSoD is when the game just completely freezes up and nothing will respond. It's usually accompanied by a looping sound effect that won't stop playing. There is no way to stop an FSoD after it has struck. Just turn off the GC and hope you didn't lose too many good items. Your banked items and anything equipped the last time your character autosaved (online) will still be there when you load up your character. If the FSoD happens offline then you'll lose everything (items, money, and experience) up to the point where you last loaded up your character and started playing. However, everything you had when you loaded will still be intact. FSoD on the Dreamcast was often caused by malicious cheat device users who took pride in screwing with other people.

RSoD (Resetting Screen of Death) was caused by a cheat device. Someone with a cheat device who wanted to annoy people would go into fairly popular lobbies and just zap everyone, causing the console to reset. There was no way to avoid it other than to stay out of lobbies as much as possible. I haven't heard of this occurring on the GC yet, but I imagine it'll show up again as soon as cheat devices hit the store shelves.

CK (Character Kill) was probably the most vile malicious act against other players back on the Dreamcast. A cheat device user used a combination of codes and items in their bank to cause other players in the team to become an NPC found somewhere in the game. The most common of which was NOL. As long as your character didn't auto-save then you could pull the memory card to keep the change from becomming permanent (at the cost of items not saved by the last auto-save). Some ingenious code users came up with a code that also sent their victim into an area on Ragol, which caused them to auto-save and thus totally ruining their chance of salvaging their character. Like RSoD, I haven't heard of this happening on the GC yet. But don't be surprised if it shows up down the road.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2002-11-21 21:17 ]</font>
Thanks for taking the time to explain all of those it was much appreciated! I left the DC version before bsod's and the others began, and as much as i dont want to see it happen on this one ill just hope rather than bitch.

thanks again.

Muku6
Nov 22, 2002, 11:55 PM
Unfortunately, you do not have to be online to receive a BSOD. I've received quite a few when I played PSO on my DC, but received my first one offline on my PSO on my GC. I wasn't but 16 hours into the game. I died due to a guard in Black Pepper quest. It was putting me back in town at the hospital. Unfortunately, when it finished loading, the screen was black and the music was playing fine, and was the music of the hospital.

Nothing worked, and this BSOD was OFFLINE. Unfortunately I lost everything (levels, mesta, and armor/weapons) that were not there since the last save.

Good luck if you get a BSOD or FSOD... especially if you lose everything not equipped on you. Everything in bank should be fine, like in DC version.

-Nemesis_
Nov 23, 2002, 01:51 AM
hey, sorry about that post earlier (i was rushed). i still have all that i had equipped and all that was in the bank (including meseta). all in my inventory that was not equipped (money, -mates, -fluids, stuff to sell, etc.)

Riel
Nov 23, 2002, 06:04 AM
Add PPPoEFSOD to the list and it's getting worst for me,every 15 minutes yesterday evening i was disconnected and nothing works,i have to power off the Cube.I don't want to buy a router to fix this and it shouldn't be needed,SoA has to fix this,like SoJ said they did for the upcoming Japanese V1.1.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Riel on 2002-11-23 03:05 ]</font>

Jeffiroth
Nov 24, 2002, 01:45 PM
FSOD definately exists, I think it even moreso exists for dial up people with "below average" internet providers (like me). I have recieved 3 FSOD's all while online and always when I leave a game and go back to the lobby or try to change ships. Like it was said before, anything that was not equipped at the last autosave, will be lost. I've lost many a good weapon and mag by this happening, now I deposit everything of value before I leave a game.

Orochi
Nov 24, 2002, 10:56 PM
Hey,Just a little curious,I've heard quite a few things about people having problems with there BBA and getting Fsod about every 40 minutes or so,but i have a BBA and i run it through a router so its not directly connected to my GC,and i've played for hours on end with no problem whatsever,i've had fsod twice but i doubt because of BBA,it happened the same way,i'd leave a room and i'd see the picture of the lobby overhead view then it would freeze and I would hear a buzzing sound,i've played for over 110 hours and it sonly happened twice,got any ideas? is it fsod?

xxl
Nov 25, 2002, 02:45 PM
i got FSOD'd the FIRST time i ever played online. it was right as i was leaving a game to return to lobby. i pressed A at the teleporter and it froze. it wasn't that big of a deal. i lost a scape doll and my assortment of fluids and atomizers but after a few offline quests i had enough money to get it all back. so...FSOD is a problem, not a SERIOUS or widespread problem, but a problem nonetheless. it happened to me once on DC but it was caused by a guy w/ a gameshark.

Elusive_Llama
Nov 25, 2002, 03:20 PM
Okay, here's what I'm going to do to protect myself...if anything is wrong, please let me know.

If I get BSODed (GC version), I just pull the connection plug and wait until it says the connection has been severed. Not a big problem the way I see it, because if I die, I only lose meseta.

If I get FSODed (again GC version) while ONLINE, anything I have unequipped will be lost. To protect myself, I should always deposit all unequipped valuables in the bank prior to leaving a game.

If I get FSODed while OFFLINE, anything I have accumulated *since* I entered the game will be lost (meseta, items, xp) but everything I had when I entered the game will be intact. To protect myself, whenever I get a rare weapon, I should always ryuker up and deposit it immediately.

Is that about it? If there's anything I should or shouldn't be doing, lemme know please...