PDA

View Full Version : Jerks on PSO

Gohanks
Nov 22, 2002, 12:01 AM
Frankly, there's nothing like being made fun of for your name, especially if you've worked freakin' hard on your character. Yep, I mean SephiROTH, the cliched named HUmar who has been made fun of here, too, but not to the degree that I met up with tonight.

Walk into what used to be a semi-empty lobby while I wait for a friend and some Armitage person goes.. 'Sephiroth LOL'. somhbody (sic) says 'I wonder how many there are now?', Jizzah v69 says 'a few million'... I try to point out the uniqueness of MY character, how he has a skyly ID (which the name Sephiroth alone doesn't get you...) and how I'd worked hard on him... and only one person in the room had a really original name, and it was a kinda disgusting one (Jizzah's.. ugh). I know there's a bunch of Sephiroths out there, but mine is MINE, ya know? I didn't make him to be like them, I wanted my own Seph. I figured it wouldn't turn out this way.

TeamPhalanx
Nov 22, 2002, 12:05 AM
There are jerks in real-life and there are jerks in PSO.

But, to be honest, there are WAY too many FF7 and DBZ/GT character names out there... Any chance your character has white hair and is dressed in a black outfit?

vaz9999
Nov 22, 2002, 12:11 AM
LMAO, being unique in your character doesn't make up for the unoriginality in your name!

Sedric
Nov 22, 2002, 12:27 AM
Back in v1 days, I saw Cephiroth. LOL. Talk about originality!! LOLOLOLOL.

PlatinumGame
Nov 22, 2002, 12:32 AM
LOOLRLRORLRRLLOOLRFOLMAAAOAOOWEEE@@

Just ignore the idiots that's all. PSO comes with the territory of having to put up with morons, n00bz, and clan moronic n00bz. The only thing that matters is that you have a good time playing this game. And if the person who says something is a FOmar, don't worry about it. 80% says he is a stupid newbie.

VulpesMundi
Nov 22, 2002, 12:33 AM
I give all my characters fairly original names because I base most of them on my own personal role playing and story characters. But original or not, does it really matter what their name is? It's a character in a game. It's the player behind the character that makes each and every character unique.

"What's in a name? For a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

Klakalou
Nov 22, 2002, 12:34 AM
i hate all sephiroths.

Rhete
Nov 22, 2002, 12:57 AM
On 2002-11-21 21:32, PlatinumGame wrote:

Just ignore the idiots that's all. PSO comes with the territory of having to put up with morons, n00bz, and clan moronic n00bz. The only thing that matters is that you have a good time playing this game. And if the person who says something is a FOmar, don't worry about it. 80% says he is a stupid newbie.

Uhh, so its not ok to make fun of stupid unoriginal names, but it is ok to say most FOmars are stupid newbies?

jello44
Nov 22, 2002, 01:07 AM
On 2002-11-21 21:57, Rhete wrote:

Uhh, so its not ok to make fun of stupid unoriginal names, but it is ok to say most FOmars are stupid newbies?

Apparently so..

I mean I have no originality either, but come on... someone making a chacter with the name "Sephiroth" or some DBZ character is just asking for it.

pixelate
Nov 22, 2002, 01:19 AM
That's just how the cookie crumbles.

HUNGRY!

Shrevn
Nov 22, 2002, 02:09 AM
Posted: 2002-11-21 21:34
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i hate all sephiroths.

Preach on brotha!!!

Hey look at my name every idiot and their mother has to tell me "Oh hell no i aint cuttin my hair" Or
"Its gettin hot in heRRe" LIKE IF MURPH even SINGS THAT!!!!!.... buncha idi00ts just dont let them bother you and fight on!!!
Oh heres some more "Nelly SUCKS" or "St.Louis Sucks"

CKTurbo
Nov 22, 2002, 02:10 AM
I tend to see a lot of jerks whenever I play a game on the Vega ship. Several people I've encountered are item hogs, while others blatently "steal" items (especially rares) that you're about to pick up. Others just act immature. Yep, Vega reminds me a lot of the Oberon ghetto ship on the Dreamcast version. Thankfully, I haven't encountered any jerks on our Antares/08 block. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

- CKTurbo

Sedric
Nov 22, 2002, 02:23 AM
Vega = Oberon of GC PSO

What will be Oberon of XBox PSO? I wonder....

Neo-Zenji
Nov 22, 2002, 02:26 AM
I hate jerks there meanies http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Etrigan
Nov 22, 2002, 04:02 AM
Nevermind. I just hate elitists. Look me up sometime if you need help leveling. Etrigan, usually on Vega 05.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Etrigan on 2002-11-22 01:14 ]</font>

Eve
Nov 22, 2002, 06:11 AM
Its also eqally bemusing that hardly anyone on PSO
(im talking about the DC version here,at least)
used a older Phantasy Star nickname,but then those game shark types proberbly
never heard of the older 8/16 bit games .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eve on 2002-11-22 03:12 ]</font>

rena-ko
Nov 22, 2002, 06:21 AM
back in the days when the dc-version was crowded i was asked several times if 'Rena' comes from star ocean (because my HUnewearl-rena is small and kinda bluehaired and the star ocean-rena seems to be, too) - its just a coincidence so far, but that's funny - and i felt awkward for never having played star ocean ^_^;;

well, to stay on topic:
if armitage was the name of that chara that made fun of you, then that isnt such an original name neither... (remembers armitage IIIrd being a not bad movie, but having a very crappy german dub...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2002-11-22 03:27 ]</font>

Sedyne
Nov 22, 2002, 07:05 AM
i hate you http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif jk.

Um. I don't mind sephiroths? Wtf?

but aside form that. Yes i dislike PSO meanies too. Chances are though they are children who hate life and have nothing ebtter to do than make fun of people they don't know.

Just a gues http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

CrashCat
Nov 22, 2002, 07:11 AM
It would do you better to think of something memorable and original for a name than being a_sephiroth_00 (oops, lapsed into Everquest there). On the other hand, I think you could have some fun with it. Sephiroth might be a really cool name for a HUnewearl with a nice slutty outfit and some flirty symbol chats... also make sure to program some of his favorite lines on shortcuts just to rub it in. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Oddly enough I saw a TOM NOOK yesterday... I told him I'd try not to carouse but I didn't get any reaction. :|

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CrashCat on 2002-11-22 04:14 ]</font>

rena-ko
Nov 22, 2002, 07:26 AM
or a FOnewm named Sephiroth... ^_^;;;

Gohanks
Nov 22, 2002, 08:34 AM
shrug, all my other chars have original names, Seph has just become my strongest. I plan to take "Chaz Ashely" on soon enough (yep, another unoriginal one, but we need more PS nicknames online, as someone pointed out).

PlatinumGame
Nov 22, 2002, 09:07 AM

That's what I said isn't it? My percentage may be off. It's more like 70%.

SaitoH
Nov 22, 2002, 09:43 AM
On 2002-11-22 06:07, PlatinumGame wrote:

You've made the 11th character I've made, since playing PSO, cry.

I HATE YOU!

*runs off sobbing*

M_BlackHawk
Nov 22, 2002, 10:04 AM
I've had to deal with one thing since I've been playing PSO. That's having people calling my HUnewearl, Lara (who happens to be a character I've been RPing for over 6 years), Lara Croft. I've had to swear off using mechs because of this BS, for crying out loud.

How many times do I have to say "I AM NOT LARA CROFT!" before these jackasses get the picture. Hell, this character is a main character in almost ALL of my fanfics, for God's sake. And besides, I HATE Tomb Raider. I created this character long before I EVER played a Tomb Raider game.

later

M_BlackHawk

Alena Zouryx
Nov 22, 2002, 12:23 PM
To be honest, I know that people who create names such as Sephiroth or DBZ/GT games may be unoriginal, but why must that matter? They are playing an open RPG in which there are several character designs that resemble other game/anime characters, and creating your own embodiment of that character simply is telling everyone that you like the game/show that the character comes from and that you would like to meet others who are into it too. I don't think any of you should criticize players who create characters from anime or other games. They are simply expressing their love for a specific game or anime, and they have every right to do so.

I don't think it's right to judge people according to the unoriginality of their name. It's just wrong.

Leave the Sephies alone, they'll always be there. Just let them be who they are. Same as for all of the Gokus and Trunks's out there. Let them be, and I bet they'll leave you be too.

Of course, I do give major kudos to those of you who actually create a character based on your own role playing and story line (as I did with my line of Zouryx characters, each is a sibling and they all are avenging the death of their parents), but you still shouldn't be rude or unkind to players who simply have a name you don't approve of.

As for OTHER, CRUDE names, I'm getting pretty darn sick of it. I just saw a S}{IT HEAD on Vega the other day, and I am CONSTANTLY seeing vulgarity in symbol chats and shortcuts using the Jap. language software KB. These are the people you should target your anger to, not those who aren't doing any harm. These guys only have one goal, and that's to piss us off.

I wonder if Sega is even enforcing their ban-threatening policy...?

Well I've rambled on for long enough. I'm interested in the replies I'll get from this controversial statement. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Jaa-ne.

haterade
Nov 22, 2002, 12:25 PM
I don't care how you spell the name, if it is in any reference to the FF character, people will instantly consider you a stupid 14 year old newb. Hell, I would. Especially having him as a HUmar character. With grey hair. But you changed that, right? Nobody cares. The name is the same. You're unoriginal... deal with the consequences...

Oh, and having a name like 'Gohanks' doesn't help your argument much either, kiddo.

haterade
Nov 22, 2002, 12:53 PM
On 2002-11-22 09:23, Alena_Zouryx wrote:
To be honest, I know that people who create names such as Sephiroth or DBZ/GT games may be unoriginal, but why must that matter? They are playing an open RPG in which there are several character designs that resemble other game/anime characters, and creating your own embodiment of that character simply is telling everyone that you like the game/show that the character comes from and that you would like to meet others who are into it too. I don't think any of you should criticize players who create characters from anime or other games. They are simply expressing their love for a specific game or anime, and they have every right to do so.

When there are 50 million other characters with the samme name, people DO get annoyed with it, and people WILL vent. Some people just addess it more appropriately than others.

I don't think it's right to judge people according to the unoriginality of their name. It's just wrong.

Of course it is. And knowing this, people with unoriginal names should know that this fact will come with the territory of coming with the unoriginality. Especially vast amounts of unoriginality. It's their own fault, they knew they'd hear it when they stepped online, that they'd be dissed for coming with a name like 'SephiCloud', or some other sh!t.

Leave the Sephies alone, they'll always be there.

And many of us'll be here to ridicule the newbs

Just let them be who they are. Same as for all of the Gokus and Trunks's out there. Let them be, and I bet they'll leave you be too.

Not likely. In DC PSO, I can't even count how many of them would run around the lobbies with saved text saying "SUPER KAMEHAMEHA WAVE!!!" In game, they'd say it before a photon blast. Or while running. Or walking. Or standing.

That is all.

PlatinumGame
Nov 22, 2002, 01:16 PM
On 2002-11-22 06:43, SaitoH wrote:

On 2002-11-22 06:07, PlatinumGame wrote:

You've made the 11th character I've made, since playing PSO, cry.

I HATE YOU!

*runs off sobbing*

What the hell are you talking about? ;_;

Nidarrock
Nov 22, 2002, 02:40 PM
I am not on the GC version so I don't know how bad the "unoriginal" names are, but in the DC version it did get annoying after awhile. Sorry but it just like anything that you see over and over again. Would I play with a Sephiroth? Sure why not. I'd play with almost anyone. But it's cool to walk around a lobby or be in a game where you see names that appear original.

But here is the problem. Do players like Blackhawk get ridiculed because some players appear to have an unoriginal name? I guess if you use a name that can be deemed unoriginal make a way to stand out. If you pick Sephiroth as your name don't give him white hair AND a black outfit. You still show your appreciation for the character but you make it more unique. Change it up a bit.

But it seems as long as online games let you choose a name and not save it to a database somewhere to block further references, then we will always have many doubles in names. *wonders if that last thought made any sense*

Blackhawk: If the Lara is the same as the one in your sig, then I don't see the resembalence to Lady Croft other than in name only.

Khaotika
Nov 22, 2002, 03:47 PM
Oddly enough I saw a TOM NOOK yesterday... I told him I'd try not to carouse but I didn't get any reaction. :|

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CrashCat on 2002-11-22 04:14 ]</font>

ROFL!!! XD

If I see a squirrel named Pecan on the ships, I'm pwning her with a steel baseball bat.

-Khaotika!

"Coz she's a stuck up bish. =p"

Atwight014
Nov 22, 2002, 04:24 PM
I honestly would've chewed you out about a overused name like that (in addition to the drizzit's, merlin's, raistlin's..) except when you tried to

"point out the uniqueness of MY character, how he has a skyly ID"

I only chew out people who put the name there because they're too lazy to think up something creative or just think they'll be the queens of cool with that on.

SaitoH
Nov 22, 2002, 04:41 PM
On 2002-11-22 10:16, PlatinumGame wrote:
What the hell are you talking about? ;_;

STOP THE MADNESS!

It was only a potato! JUST ONE POTATO!

*sobs*

Don't even get me started about the marmosets.

GOD HOW I HATE THEIR CHEESE STEALING WAYS!

*shakes fist at marmosets*

=_=;;

ABDUR101
Nov 22, 2002, 05:05 PM
I smell a rant. =X

If someone can pick on you about something, they will. The only options you have are to ignore them, or let them push you into getting a new character and name.

And if you'd like your name changed here at PSOW, let Salad or lolita know. =)

*moves to the Rants forum*

*EDIT*
oh and, as mentioned in the rules:

3. Post in the appropriate forums. If you make a mistake and post in the wrong forum, it's okay. However, do not make posting in the wrong forum a constant behavior. Do not 'hijack' other peoples' threads. This is considered to be rude behaviour. If you wish to continue a conversation with one particular person which has no bearing on the original topic, please take it to Private Mail.

7. Once again, topic "hijacking" is frowned upon. You hijack, you will receive a warning.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2002-11-22 14:06 ]</font>

Naer
Nov 22, 2002, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't mind all the Sephiroths and DBZ names if there weren't so many of them. When you say to yourself "Ah geez, another (unoriginal name)" several times while playing that means there is a bit too much of 'em.

I once made a friend with one of those Sephiroths, he was pretty cool but then a couple days later I met what I thought was the same person I was playing with yesterday but it certainly wasn't. The conversation went something like this:

Naer: Hey Sephiroth, what's up?
Sephiroth: Uh, do I know you?
Naer now thinks to himself "Ah geez, another Sephiroth"
Naer: Nope
End Conversation

In the end you (unoriginal named person) aren't going to have many friends since there are so many with the same name it's hard to keep track of who is who (unless you give them your card).

Usually i'll give them a chance but my first impression is that they are some 10-year old kid. If they start spouting one liners in-game or in the lobby (that will most likely confirm it), chances are that they won't be seeing me around them anymore...or i'll just tell them to shut up depending on what kind of mood i'm in.

SaitoH
Nov 22, 2002, 06:10 PM
*ahem*

Me bad. I read Platinum game's post wrong, and realizing my mistake, chose to pretend I meant to post nonsense.

o_O;;

*rereads*

It makes sense to me ... really.

=_=;;

But ummm ... DBZ names or Sephiroth ... you are just asking to be teased. It's not right to do so, just a fact of life.

You made your bed, now lie in it, DAMMIT!

^w^

DJ_Monkey
Nov 22, 2002, 06:34 PM
Okay, I am annoyed whenever I see someone with yet ANOTHER FF or DBZ name. I mean, FF wasn't THAT good of a series, at least to me it wasn't. DBZ is just...bleh. Used to be okay until it entered it's 3rd season, where it was basically the same thing with more powerful enemies and more powerful heroes.

I won't judge based on that fact alone, but I do have doubts about their maturity when I see one of them.

Is there no originality anymore? All of my names were thought up by me(well, my current name, coincidentally, was almost exactly like another person's name, but I made this name before I had ever met that person), and I will keep it that way.

Zell_Hogmaw
Nov 23, 2002, 10:09 PM
i cant remember if "Zell" is from ff8 or not..........

Spektrum
Nov 30, 2002, 05:11 AM
On 2002-11-23 19:10, Zell_Hogmaw wrote:
i cant remember if "Zell" is from ff8 or not..........

Hes from ff8. Hes from ff8. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ness
Nov 30, 2002, 11:26 AM
I hate all of this originality and unoriginaltiy bullshit! Trying to be different is just as bad as trying to be the same. You should do your own thing and be whatever you want. Wheteher its original or not it shouldn't matter. Do what you want not what they want.

ZeKey
Dec 4, 2002, 05:00 PM
so what if their name is unoriginal? if it ticks you off thene don't talk to them and leave them to the people who don't mind.

RellikTakahashi
Dec 15, 2002, 11:37 AM
I think the most annoying person I met is some FOmarl on GC named Blue. Heh its funny she's all stuck up and thinks she knows alot. A lot of people *act* like they like her and are her friends, then when she leaves everyone makes fun of her. Its great. She thinks she's special cause she has a keyboard. heh. Soon I'll have mine the 27th of Dec. then she won't be so "special"

I don't think its possible to create an "unoriginal" character, because of the number of ways to make one is limited. But the names I can understand. theres a million names out there and you choose common names like a DBZ or Sailor moon name? come on now. Enough with your Final Fantasy names and move on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RellikTakahashi on 2002-12-15 08:50 ]</font>

Maverynthia
Dec 16, 2002, 06:13 AM
I'll say it and be damned...

I hate DBZ/GT/XYZ characters and their namer because a number of people that like the show are total n00b chat speaking illiterates. I see it all the time. And the people behind these character names have been n00bers, cheaters, theifs...I trust no on with DBZ names...

(Heck the guy that gave me my Needles before I even knew cheating/n00bing was a problem was like Gohan_Z or something..Go- something after it...)

As for other characters, I hate it when they have Sephiroth and it's a dude with white hair, a huge sword and black outfit >_<. Like the 50 million Nei's and Nei Thirds out there...

If you look original then I accept you as original, but if your sporting white hair and black outfit, don't expect me to take you seriously...

Heck Koujiro isn't an original name...though I DOUBT anybody could guess WHICH Koujiro I am in refrence too since the Musashi Koujiro legend is HUGE. Most people will say Pokemon and they would be ALL wrong...

(And yes I DO want a Musashi just so I can Koujiro running around saying:
I am Koujiro and THIS *draws sword* is Musashi!
)
I didn't even know one existed...I just wonder if there's a Koujiro sword...that'd be too funny...I am Koujiro and..uhm..this is my weapon...Kojirou!

DarknesstheHUCAseal
Dec 23, 2002, 06:21 PM
Thoughts on the originality thing:

The name for me doesn't matter as much as the way a person plays. Yes, ff/dbz names aren't original, and any older/hardcore gamers will probably bristle at seeing them. That in itself is more of a snobbery thing: I'm not like those dbz kiddies, I'm not a toonami whore, etc. But even the lamest name becomes instantly memorable if the player takes time to think of his team and care for others, and ripping into noobs because of their name wont help them become such. The GC pso community is way too small to alienate people based on something as superficial as a name.

On the profanity names, i do agree that is a problem though. Its one thing to be unoriginal, its another to be actively offensive. There's not much to do there though except not play with them, or pick such.