PDA

View Full Version : Ranger: Shotguns: Did you know?

Lastat27
Nov 26, 2006, 05:33 AM
The Shotgun. Ye old boom stick. The zombie-bane of the past and the suicidal weapon of choice for the future. While most Rangers would rather be dishing out solid damage from 100 meters away, I would like to give some foresight into this refreshing misunderstood force to be reckoned with.

Upon first glance and a bit of testing you'll find that Shotguns can tag many enemies with a single shot and spray status effects around the room with frenzy. However, most Rangers see this as a weak weapon because of its low damage output. There is however one thing that most Rangers are unaware of: Its point blank damage potential.

Basic knowledge:
-Shotguns fire 3 bullets a shot with a Bullet level of 0-10, 4 bullets from 11-20, and 5 bullets from 21-30.

Advanced knowledge:
-Every time you shoot a monster with a shotgun at point blank distance, all four of your bullets hit that monster, and each of them count as a hit.

Test: Level 11 Bullets (4 Shots)
Shoot a level 16 Badira (lizard) at long range four times.
Shoot a level 16 Badira (lizard) point blank.

At long distance you'll notice it takes four shots to kill a Badira. Each shot doing 100 damage. Thus the Badira has roughly 350-400hp.

However, moving into point blank range you'll notice you kill the same Badira with a single shot. But wait, you only saw 100 x 2 damage appear above its head, how did he die to only 200 damage?

You actually just did 100 x 4 damage with a single shot; you just hit him with all four bullets at once, instantly killing him. The damage is there, but the numbers verifying this above its head are not.

*Sometimes you will not kill them with one point blank shot, the reason being one of the four bullets actually missed*

-Shotguns have an "extremely small" area of effect on each bullet. If two monsters are extremely close to each other, one bullet can hit both of them.

It is possible to hit 8 monsters with a single shot using level 11 bullets. All four of your bullets can hit two mobs each. The chance of such a perfect set up is very rare. My record is 7 mobs with one shot.

-Getting into a position in which all four bullets always hit monsters can be tricky. One mob point blank, two mobs rather close, or a group of mobs at long range all work well. At the moment I hit 150x4 point blank, and when mobs are in perfect formations 150x (5~8). Armor deductions aside that is.

Good times for a Shotgun
-Fighting De Ragan with Ice bullets is always fun. I'd rather not fight that douche EVER again, but it's always refreshing to hit De Ragan in 5-7 spots per shot, for 40-150 damage each.

-The big and dumb. Polavohras, Flaming crocs, and Megid masters. Just stay behind them or beside them and let the beating commence.

-Mass mobs. By using Freeze or Shock on C Rank and Shock on B-A Rank you become the best crowd controller around. Your damage output is decent, but it can be hard to hit 4+ mobs with each shot.

-In any other scenario, other weapons can do better. The shotgun can keep up in damage by staying point blank. However, because you are unable to make mobs flinch or strafe out of the way you can really take a beating. Having to dodge constant attacks can really slow you down.

Conclusion
At the moment the Shotgun is nowhere near the best weapon of choice. I would recommend using one as a backup weapon for those PP stressed situations, crowd control on A rank, or for taking down those slow mobs with multiple damage points. At the very least I would take Shock bullets up to 11, and get them to level 21 upon the next update.

Once you get your bullets up to 21-30, you will be hitting mobs point blank with 5 bullets. This is sure to leave a mark, especially when those bullets start doing 200-250 damage a hit.

Tycho
Nov 26, 2006, 05:56 AM
Pretty cool. Would probably do quite well at 21-30.

Remedy
Nov 26, 2006, 05:58 AM
More Rangers need to read this.

My Ranger is level 18, and she's already loving her little 4* +1 Shotgun. :3

ChyronType0
Nov 26, 2006, 06:43 AM
I've been pimpin' my Shigga Amza for a while now. More rangers need to use shotties, ice on a shottie at lvl 20 is extremely great to have.

Otis_Kat
Nov 26, 2006, 07:43 AM
I used to think shotguns sucked until I discovered the point blank power of them.

A pointblank shot is a near guarentee status effect.

Rizen
Nov 26, 2006, 08:10 AM
Im glad to see more people using the Shotgun. I just hope more people come to see its better than what others think.

I posted some info a while ago and someone within the last week or two about Shotgun's ability in my ranger thread. I would like to point you there so you can take part in some of the discussions we have there. And if you dont mind, can you post your first post in the thread?

Heres a link to my Ranger topic in the guide section:
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=120501&forum=22&203

SailorDaravon
Nov 26, 2006, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I started using shotguns recently, and they're pretty badass. I point blank shoot a lot; I still don't do Hunter damage, but it's pretty respectable all the same, and that's 3/4/5 chances to hit the enemy with a SE as well.

etlitch
Nov 26, 2006, 09:50 AM
Newsflash: The current shotgun hit numbers allows each bullet to hit up to 3 enemies. It's just that noone knows to do that.

Dhylec
Nov 26, 2006, 11:49 AM
Nice, some finer points that Rangers can use as a reference. ;]

Randomness
Nov 26, 2006, 12:12 PM
Yes, I love my shotgun. And at point blank, even going for freezing, its almost guaranteed. Admittedly, higher defense enemies tend to be barely affected due to the lower output of each hit, but thats what rifles are for, after all. If it isnt ten times the size of your character, a shotgun will maim it... Which is why I love my shotgun.

EC_Subbie
Nov 26, 2006, 06:05 PM
Shotgun is my primary weapon really. I only switch to rifles for large enemies, flying enemies (although shotty can do these too) and bosses. Everything else in small to medium size in crowds usually demands shotgun.

Hildigam
Dec 3, 2006, 11:58 PM
The awesome thing is how fast the bullets level. I took the Fire Bullets from level 1 to 5 in one run of Relic C. Soloing of course, but it beats an hour leveling rifle once....

RivaOni
Dec 4, 2006, 05:02 AM
I've been using a Shigga Spud with a lightning PA linked to it for a fair while, purely for gaining experience points quicker.

As Hildigam said, the bullets level incredibly fast, I think I'm on level 11 already, if not, I'm pretty damn close. But its such a slow weapon and isn't well suited to close groups of creatures unless your willing to run off to get some distance.

I don't have a "primary, secondary, teritary" set of weapons, I always carry a Shotty, Rifle and Twin Handguns and use them in whatever situation they're needed in.

It only makes sense that way.

BTW, I'm level 17 at the moment, I'm from the UK and if anyone wants a game, give me a pm and I'll see what I can do.

AngelLight
Dec 4, 2006, 09:50 AM
Crossbows are going to give shotty a serious run for their money.....especially since you can strafe spray with one.

Still a PB shot with a shotty is a serious amount of damage to a target and if you are using Freeze (or at least shock) you're still conferring a fair amount of protection to yourself. Still I see PB shotting as more of a party thing then a solo thing. At least then you can go for targets that have aggro on someone other then yourself and be completely safe that way with the added benefit of pulling aggro off of another ranger or force or an overwhelmed hunter at a critical time. On the damage front, Crossbows will never do the damage that shotty does.

etlitch
Dec 4, 2006, 11:15 AM
but then, crossbows actually have ATP and ATA, where shots only depends on char base stats. they also fire faster than shots

AngelLight
Dec 4, 2006, 11:37 AM
Actually, that would be a good experiment to try sometime. Take a couple of A rank and S rank Shots and crossbows....same grind levels. Put it on the same rangers so that we have all of our controls in place and do a DPS test on both of them. However, it may be some time as I only see guilds or someone who has collected this gear ahead of time having the resources to do such a test.......still, perhaps there's a bored JP player who might happen to match this criteria and run this test themselves for us.

Schubalts
Dec 4, 2006, 03:37 PM
Crossbows give mobility and per-hit-power. But they only fire 1 bolt at 1-10, 2 at 11-20, and 3 at 21-30.

DoubleJG
Dec 4, 2006, 03:59 PM
Very helpful information. Good thread.

Sephlock
Jan 16, 2007, 11:56 AM
On 2006-11-26 02:33, Lastat27 wrote:

-Mass mobs. By using Freeze or Shock on C Rank and Shock on B-A Rank you become the best crowd controller around. Your damage output is decent, but it can be hard to hit 4+ mobs with each shot.

Why stop using freeze at higher ranks? Do monsters gain higher resistance to freeze (but not shock)?

Rizen
Jan 16, 2007, 02:52 PM
Its because Shock becomes more useful in the long run. Freeze can easily be broken by hits and shorter duration while Shock lasts regardless of hits and lasts longer.

Short and simple post but I can go into details if you want.

rvzero
Jan 16, 2007, 03:27 PM
More bullets at higher levels!? woot!
Already noticed the shotgunlike behaviour (point blank = more damage, witch is a suprise coming from sega... XD )

I like my shotty alot more now...

Sephlock
Jan 16, 2007, 03:28 PM
By all means go into details http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif.

Turambar
Jan 16, 2007, 03:33 PM
I was always under the impression that shotties were more preferred than rifles. Could just be the people I usually play with though(and their constant attempt at converting me ><).

At anyrate, very nice points on the highlights of the shot gun that any RA should know. Don't forget they are the most PP efficient weapons a gunner can use. (Just don't take it personally if I stay rifles exlusive due to personal love for them =P)

Sephlock
Jan 16, 2007, 03:38 PM
While we're at it: Is 21 the magic number as far as leveling up my bullets is concerned? Is there any reason to reach 30?

OdinTyler
Jan 18, 2007, 12:18 PM
Id be one of the first to say that the shotgun is great! Much improved over the big, clunky ones from PSO. For one thing, they actually LOOK like shotguns. Just hit Lv30 on my Lightning Bullet & working on Light now. I generally use them for crowds, sometimes on bigger enemies. They just tend to work best on lots of small targets coming at you. Then, switch off to something else for medium or larger enemies.

Woah, wait. More bullets at higher levels? Are you sure? Id have to check this. Compare my low light to my Lv30 Lightning one. More bullets? I gotta check this...

panzer_unit
Jan 18, 2007, 12:31 PM
21's the magic number. 13% element I think, and 5 bullets per shot. Base damage goes up from there, but it's not worth grinding the skill past 21. Just use it when appropriate.

SolomonGrundy
Jan 18, 2007, 09:07 PM
On the subject of ice vs shock: creatures can still move (they have full EVP), and use spells when shocked. not saying that makes ice breaking less of a liability, but shocking vandana's guarantees diga/damfoie

both have thier places

KaffeKane
Sep 27, 2007, 08:23 PM
Shotgun's bullets have a tiny AoE per bullet? I did not know that, and gunner's my favorite type to play as. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Hrith
Sep 28, 2007, 05:32 AM
10 month old topic, good job ;o