PDA

View Full Version : How you break up the bordum? - Plz Dont Merge...

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 10:44 AM
This topic is not ment to bash PSU in anyway, as I love the game very much. I did all the research before I purchased it etc etc, but I do not understand how some of you guys find the willpower to continue to play during content downtime, like we are currently experiencing...

I am in no way trying to brag. I have had a lvl 48 Cast with 10 hunter 10 ranger: Single, and dual dagger/saber photon art maxed. Longsword the same. Dual handgun and single handgun bullets currently all at 18. I have around 800k mesetta, and enough materials to craft about 40 A rank weapons... Even made a Human got him to lvl 25 Force 6.

My question is HOW can some of you play the same missions over and over with your characters completly maxed, even more so than mine. I guess I just competly fail to see the fun in it, even though I have a dozen or more people to group with at almost anytime during the day/night.

Someone enlighten me as to how you keep from falling into the void or bordum. Thanks.

Merumeru
Nov 28, 2006, 10:51 AM
make a new character http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif give them all the stuff you wish you had when you were lv1 and unleash complete destruction in Linear Line XD i dont get much why people would want to play beyond lv50; can't see it as any fun not progressing in much ways but i guess its hoarding meseta and items for when the update rolls around...

ZiG
Nov 28, 2006, 10:53 AM
You have over 120 Par/Neu/Mot Ebons, huh?

I call bullshit.

MayLee
Nov 28, 2006, 10:54 AM
I am at 19 Force 2 about to reach the 3rd Force level. I think I will have my mail always a Force and nothing els.

mogshaz
Nov 28, 2006, 10:56 AM
On 2006-11-28 07:53, ZiG wrote:
You have over 120 Par/Neu/Mot Ebons, huh?

I call bullshit.

I don't think wether or not he collected 120 ash of any kind is what matters. collecting Trivial synthing materials is pointless if there is no fun to be had. It is a Game after all.

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 10:57 AM
Mogshaz wrote:
"Maybe, alot of PSU fans really, really, really, really, like running through the same rooms over and over again? I don't know. I don't mind the lack of variety as much as i mind the fact that its driving off other players. when there are only 5 dudes on a server it get hard to put together a 6 man team."

Yes, I completly agree. I have been in many games where grinding was the only way to go, but you were not grinding just for the sake of geting cash. Im asking after your max lvl and max PA/Tech, why do you party. Just to play the game? Just for the cash prepatch? Not grilling you just trying to make sure ya get my question. Thx all for your imput.

ZiG
Nov 28, 2006, 10:59 AM
Ebon != Ash

And apparently it does matter since one of his reasons for being bored is having "enough materials to craft about 40 A rank weapons"...

My point is there's always something to do. Online games are about meeting people and making friends. Hang out with said friends, why's it always gotta be about stats and shit?

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 11:00 AM
I have 64 par ebons and around 250 par ash. I only <3 GRM and I know the mats for the weapons. I would not bullshit in a forum post. Thanks for your post and stay on topic please.

ZiG
Nov 28, 2006, 11:01 AM
On 2006-11-28 08:00, ChrisKo wrote:
I have 64 par ebons and around 250 par ash. I only <3 GRM and I know the mats for the weapons. I would not bullshit in a forum post. Thanks for your post and stay on topic please.

I never left topic, champ.

Didn't you make any friends during all that grinding? So play with your friends, that's what this game is all about.

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 11:03 AM
Did you even read the post? I have atleast 4 people on regardless of time0day. If you cant contribue to the topic then why are you here?

ZiG
Nov 28, 2006, 11:05 AM
Right. I can't contribute to a rhetorical question in a bragging post. This attention seeking topic fails.

panzer_unit
Nov 28, 2006, 11:07 AM
You're talking about your big level, your awesome job rank, all this loot and material crap... not a mention of friends or anything in the online community. Having all that stuff in real life doesn't make people happy either.

Make some friends you like to chat and do missions with. Hit on some chicks. Roleplay a bit. Get a makeover, make some chat macros to spam, and be an attention whore for a while.

mogshaz
Nov 28, 2006, 11:08 AM
On 2006-11-28 08:07, panzer_unit wrote:
You're talking about your big level, your awesome job rank, all this loot and material crap... not a mention of friends or anything in the online community. Having all that stuff in real life doesn't make people happy either.

Make some friends you like to chat and do missions with. Hit on some chicks. Roleplay a bit. Get a makeover, make some chat macros to spam, and be an attention whore for a while.

'Make some friends you like to chat'

i think this is called and Instant messenger. It doesn't cost 50 bucks.

Evolution
Nov 28, 2006, 11:10 AM
I maxed out my first character, newman male force, i hate not getting exp, even the mission points are wasted, even though I could be hunting rares for me its just not worth it if my character isn't getting any exp/mission points.

I started another character a male beast that i'm slowly leveling up, for the most part I play with friends, i've found a good group that I play with, which is probably why I play so much.

Also for me theres just a ton to do in the game, even though there is a huge lack of content, when i'm not playing with my friends i'm feeding my pm, gathering food for the pm, going around random shops looking for good deals, synthing items.

Zarbolord
Nov 28, 2006, 11:13 AM
I'm expecting SEGA to bring forth many many more weapons and rare items.

ZiG
Nov 28, 2006, 11:14 AM
In any case, aside from my first post, I WAS actually trying to contribute to this topic by saying that that's how you "break up the [boredom]".

But be a prick, dude. I can take it.

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 11:14 AM
Ohhh you crafty little ZiG... Question was not rhetorical. Easy to answer with why you are playing. You could say for example.
Zig: " Yeah, my character is maxed too man. Im only playing to be online with my friends. Cant wait for the update."
This topic was created with no hidden agenda. I seriously want to know how and why U Zig and everyone else contiues after, new word here, MAXATION lol.
AND panzer_unit. No just no man. Read and respond, not the other way around.

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 11:19 AM
Mogshaz, Evolution, Zarbolord, Merumeru, Maylee, and yes even ZiG, thanks for you imput. Gota get something done at work before lunch. Ill check back later. Everyone please post your feelings on this.

Zarbolord
Nov 28, 2006, 11:21 AM
Thou hast spoken mine name!!!!!! I now hath to use the olden speech >>

mogshaz
Nov 28, 2006, 11:21 AM
On 2006-11-28 08:21, Zarbolord wrote:
Thou hast spoken mine name!!!!!! I now hath to use the olden speech >>

NOOOOOOO WHYYYY?!

Zarbolord
Nov 28, 2006, 11:24 AM
I thought it hath been apropriate.

panzer_unit
Nov 28, 2006, 11:48 AM
On 2006-11-28 08:14, ChrisKo wrote:

You're asking about how to avoid being bored. All you do in-game is grind and grind as far as I can tell from your game stats. Stop doing that, and start having fun with the other players online. Things are only as fun as you make them be. What's there to miss?

Zarbolord
Nov 28, 2006, 11:49 AM
On 2006-11-28 08:48, panzer_unit wrote:

You're asking about how to avoid being bored. All you do in-game is grind and grind as far as I can tell from your game stats. Stop doing that, and start having fun with the other players online. Things are only as fun as you make them be. What's there to miss?

A Heart of Poumn ;-;

Doh42
Nov 28, 2006, 11:51 AM
Isn't killing mobs fun? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I'm still playing because I still have fun dodging, attacking, shooting...

MayLee
Nov 28, 2006, 11:53 AM
On 2006-11-28 08:07, panzer_unit wrote:

You sir, have crossed the line *slap*

Good day to you, sir. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Zarbolord
Nov 28, 2006, 11:54 AM
And don't forget to NOT dodge into Distova muk... or I never play with you again, the smell is REALLY bad..

mogshaz
Nov 28, 2006, 11:54 AM
On 2006-11-28 08:48, panzer_unit wrote:

what?

Is your advice for having fun whilst playing a Video to game just start having fun while playing that game? Why even play the game in the first place? If your just sitting around your house start playing with string and any other crap you can fidn sitting on the floor.

I remember when game entertained you. When did games starts labeling 'Fun sold seperatly'?

Skids
Nov 28, 2006, 12:09 PM
I haven't gotton bored yet. But if you do get bored. Go into random act of silliness with players. Its makes the game FUN! I was doing a training run in parum with open invite. The c creature elimination. I had one player come in "hang//over" and for the next hour. We had a blast just being silly. We do all the character animations. She played hit the robot with lighting and win a prize. Just to anem some of the stuff we did. That was just in game. Then we spread the craziness to the public. It was fun.

panzer_unit
Nov 28, 2006, 12:12 PM
On 2006-11-28 08:54, mogshaz wrote:

Is your advice for having fun whilst playing a Video to game just start having fun while playing that game? Why even play the game in the first place? If your just sitting around your house start playing with string and any other crap you can fidn sitting on the floor.

I remember when game entertained you. When did games starts labeling 'Fun sold seperatly'?

WTF... ever bought a frisbee or a ball? It's not what you've got, but what you do with it that makes it fun.

Mr_Krull
Nov 28, 2006, 12:24 PM
make a female character and run around screaming: " BJ 10 MESETA!" or : IMMA GURL GIMME FREE ITEMZ!" not that I do it...>_>

Pengfishh
Nov 28, 2006, 12:33 PM
Wait, we're at a content downtime? Are there not 17 missions to play? Why, yes there are!

Oh, but 250 Par Ash and however many Par Ebon. I'd get bored doing Parum missions forever, too. So I don't. Try that? Or try not to play so much. Two characters near max level has to have taken 200 hours, more if you REALLY have Hunter and Ranger 10 (which is a little unbelievable, I don't know why).

So, how do I avoid getting bored? I don't rape the game.

waluigi1
Nov 28, 2006, 12:36 PM
Well...It sounds to me like you have too much time on your hands...I play as much as I can and I'm only lvl 39 Newman. I just got FO to 10 last night and switched to HU...I don't really have any advice for you...The way I have fun with it is that I play with people I know in real life and I don't completely obsess over it and play it all the time with no sleep. I do other things every now and then, play other games.

MayLee
Nov 28, 2006, 12:42 PM
On 2006-11-28 09:24, Mr_Krull wrote:
make a female character and run around screaming: " BJ 10 MESETA!" or : IMMA GURL GIMME FREE ITEMZ!" not that I do it...>_>

I was going to say something simillar.

"Will dance for Meseta!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MayLee on 2006-11-28 09:42 ]</font>

peenk
Nov 28, 2006, 12:49 PM
On 2006-11-28 09:49, panzer_unit wrote:

On 2006-11-28 08:53, MayLee wrote:

Good day to you, sir. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

... that would depend on where it is you slapped me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Ballsack.

panzer_unit
Nov 28, 2006, 12:49 PM

... that would depend on where it is you slapped me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

MayLee
Nov 28, 2006, 12:56 PM
What do you mean by, "Please don't merge"? o.o

mogshaz
Nov 28, 2006, 12:58 PM
the mods merged it earlier so he remade it and added that to the title.

MayLee
Nov 28, 2006, 12:58 PM
On 2006-11-28 09:49, peenk wrote:

On 2006-11-28 09:49, panzer_unit wrote:

Ballsack.

Mmm, sounds painful. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

panzer_unit
Nov 28, 2006, 01:07 PM
On 2006-11-28 09:58, MayLee wrote:

On 2006-11-28 09:49, peenk wrote:
Ballsack.

Mmm, sounds painfulhot. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Yeah

Pandatron
Nov 28, 2006, 01:16 PM
We forces... will never max out and if you have maxed out your force (i mean like all techs thus far), i'm really concern and feel sorry for your present being.

KirinDave
Nov 28, 2006, 01:46 PM
Heh heh heh. How do you stave off the boredom? Don't play a hunter! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

But seriously, you can make games last a lot longer by not playing them 7 hours a day. Seriously, read a book. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=f4jembul5ek)

GeoHolyhart
Nov 28, 2006, 01:52 PM
Hm... I almost forgot what the topic was about after reading through to the last page. Seriously though. Once you get to level 45, STOP. No don't stop leveling, stop grinding. Just sit around and talk and do missions whenever you want to for fun. I know you can only do that so long, so until more updates maybe you can go outside and enjoy the fresh air and... what do they call that thing... um... the sun.

panzer_unit
Nov 28, 2006, 01:53 PM
Sun? You mean that bright doohickey that hurts my eyes and burns my skin when I open the door...

... to the fridge?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: panzer_unit on 2006-11-28 10:54 ]</font>

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 02:01 PM
Lunch break Woot!
See alot of comments suggesting reducing play time.... I only have like 117hrs and I have left it on overnight atleast twice. 117 hours in a game thats been out over a month is not that extream. Im not a 50 and someone said earlier that I had 2 max characters , I dont. It dosent really require alot of play time to max PA and Class lvls. 50->60 will take a LONG time. Pandatron you are completly correct lol. I didnt really look at it from a Force viewpoint as im a Hunter/Ranger. Maxing all techs.... GL with that.
I also see a pattern in that everyone will reach class max VERY VERY fast almost to the extream that mission points are kinda useless. Making the expert classes harder to lvl would help this. 10 in an expert class will be had in one day by some. Exp and Tech lvls are really the only thing that you could lvl. <3 Wartecher with my human eventually...

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 02:04 PM
GeoHolyhart wrote

Hm... I almost forgot what the topic was about after reading through to the last page. Seriously though. Once you get to level 45, STOP. No don't stop leveling, stop grinding. Just sit around and talk and do missions whenever you want to for fun. I know you can only do that so long, so until more updates maybe you can go outside and enjoy the fresh air and... what do they call that thing... um... the sun.

Sun? Does such a thing really exist? I belive you spread rummors and lies.

AeraLure
Nov 28, 2006, 02:06 PM
On 2006-11-28 10:46, KirinDave wrote:
But seriously, you can make games last a lot longer by not playing them 7 hours a day.

Generally true since technically all games are a waste of time being simply entertainment afterall. How much time to spend on entertainment, and the kinds of entertainment, is different for everyone though. Also, its just not good advice to try and make a game better by playing it less. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Good game design accommodates a certain play amount and most online games presume reasonably infinite play (but not literally), or at least should, given the above and the differences in the ways people approach them. I never once got bored in PSO or its iterations. Sure, desired some more things here and there, but still never got bored and I played those on an order of magnitude much much greater than PSU.

PSU is different. Its more about grind and less about hunt. Just the way it is. Not going down the road of is that for the better or for the worse here in this topic.

Things to do:

Create another character and level that
Work on another job class
Level a or another PM
Combat level a or another PM
Build a meseta fund for the next update
Get a shop and farm to keep it stocked
Level underused PAs or Techs
Try to max level a given character

Basically all grinding activities though. Try mixing it up between soloing with your PM and playing with a random group, and make the goal you have each time different, as well as combining a couple. ie, solo with your PM in A ranks for fun, drops, using underused PAs or Techs, and picking up minimally some needed material and meseta along the way (maybe this time Sleeping Warriors A for some Nanos and next tiem something else). Tire of that? Join a group and just play for fun and some randomness and leave the concern for S ranks at home. Just keep doing something different.

I find I also have to drop out the music for PSU and put my own in. When soloing I keep trying to break time records in addition to the above or avoid that specifically and use odd techs and simply have fun.

17 missions? Yeah I guess. It is surprising how bored one can get of them though. Its level design or lack of variation or not enough different creatures or lack of landmark rooms or lack of normal rare monsters. Something. Been discussed countless times elsewhere. Trick is to bring to them your own goals and not just run them mindlessly, as well as to join others from time to time and have fun with it (ie, leave the S rank hat at home sometimes, but sure, not always).

Shadow_Wing
Nov 28, 2006, 02:06 PM
I mainly just fk around with my friends, and I've been 50 for quite a while, I actually said in party the other day when leveling my Fo (finally...) that I have an exp bar since I haven't seen that thing in ages XD.

Chat and Kill is my group's agenda on any mission, make fun of your fellow team mate's crappyness, debate trivial subjects, or just say random crap.

Like FFXI, the people I play with makes the game not boring.

Lastat27
Nov 28, 2006, 02:13 PM
I read on Psupedia that it'll take 8000 mission points to get from advanced job level 1 - 10. It only takes 1000 mission points to get a basic job from 1 - 10. They are also planning on changing the advanced job cap to 20 sometime in the JP future.

Also, if you seriously get bored of the game, play another game, reply to these forums (lol), or read psupedia.org for a few hours.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lastat27 on 2006-11-28 11:16 ]</font>

GeoHolyhart
Nov 28, 2006, 02:16 PM
On 2006-11-28 11:04, ChrisKo wrote:
GeoHolyhart wrote

Sun? Does such a thing really exist? I belive you spread rummors and lies.

I'm a LIAAAAARRRR! Such a thing existing is contradictory to all science!

*opens window* No, no, no it can't be! Please don't kill meeeeee!!!

On a side note: R-E-A-D A B-O-O-KAY!

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 02:16 PM
Lastat27 post a link pretty please. I have not seen any information that suggests expert classes require anymore than base classes. I have not really looked at all so, this could be why. A link would be greatly appriciated, and if this is true I would give Sega Development +1 cool point.

Lastat27
Nov 28, 2006, 02:20 PM
http://www.psupedia.org/index.php?title=Types

Basic 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-5 5-6 6-7 7-8 8-9 9-10
To Next 60 70 80 100 120 130 140 150 150
Total 60 130 210 310 430 560 700 850 1000

Expert 1-2 2-3 3-4 4-5 5-6 6-7 7-8 8-9 9-10
To Next 400 500 600 750 1500 750 1000 1000 1500
Total 400 900 1500 2250 3750 4500 5500 6500 8000

Like I said, reading http://www.psupedia.org can suck back a good 2-3 hours if you read it all. There's a lot of great information to be found on that site.

KirinDave
Nov 28, 2006, 02:24 PM
On 2006-11-28 11:06, AeraLure wrote:

On 2006-11-28 10:46, KirinDave wrote:
But seriously, you can make games last a lot longer by not playing them 7 hours a day.

Generally true since technically all games are a waste of time being simply entertainment afterall.

Entertainment is not a waste of time. It's essential to a healthy and balanced person. Countless studies have shown this for nearly every aspect of human endeavor. Entertained people are happier and more productive than bored people. Not that EA listens, but the science is there.

How much time to spend on entertainment, and the kinds of entertainment, is different for everyone though. Also, its just not good advice to try and make a game better by playing it less. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sure it is. Geometry Wars Evolved is a fantastic game, but it is also very repetitive. It's like a good song, or a tasty treat. Experiencing something in excess removes much of the fun factor for all but the most autistic of people. People have tried to play PSU into the ground the way they played WoW or FFXI, and to put it bluntly, PSU doesn't even seem to want to hold up to that kind of gamer. The game revolves almost entirely around the casual and semi-casual. Indeed, the way content is released and the way experience is discarded, it seems to punish hardcore gamers for being ahead of the curve.

Good game design accommodates a certain play amount

Sure. PSU does. The average player is a bit ahead of me, in their mid-40s coming up on 50. Maybe 1 job maxed, or nearly maxed. And lo, within the next two weeks we're going to have advanced jobs, more spells, and a plethora of new weapons and items opened to us. Everyone I know is hurrying to get their requirements for advanced jobs in line.

and most online games presume reasonably infinite play (but not literally), or at least should, given the above and the differences in the ways people approach them.

Not even WoW or FFXI promise this. All I said to the fine gentleman who posted this thread is that if PSU is boring, do something that is not boring. Like read. Come back to PSU if and when you don't have a distaste for it. PSU is a game, it's a distraction, it isn't something you should have to find reasons to do. Either do it and like it or find some other way to rest your brain.

Doh42
Nov 28, 2006, 02:29 PM
Amen.

But what's that about EA not listening?

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 02:32 PM
Ty very much Lastat27. I have read that page atleast 50 times, and they finally updated it with new info. I had yet to see that. Thanks a ton for making me aware of it.

KirinDave. Even if you were not speaking directly to me in your last post let me clarrify. I do not have a distaste for this game at all. And I took your advise as soon as I got bored, accept it was my advise when I did it about 2 weeks ago. This topic was just to start some conversation as to how you guys keep from geting bored. I wanted your opinions on the topic title. I do appriciate your posts though, as they are well written and plesant to read. Please dont take this as me being offended or angry with you I just wanted to clarrify.
THANKS again Lastat27.

Shadow_Wing
Nov 28, 2006, 02:34 PM
Amazingly enough it didn't degrade to a flame fest @_@;

GeoHolyhart
Nov 28, 2006, 02:36 PM
On 2006-11-28 11:34, Shadow_Wing wrote:
Amazingly enough it didn't degrade to a flame fest @_@;

Wow, you're right! That's really crazy.

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 02:36 PM
Yes, I am very happy of this lol. ZiG tried, but he was confused at my kindness towards him so he left. I want him to return and contribute.

Doh42
Nov 28, 2006, 02:37 PM
An interesting way to kill boredom in PSU would be to run the "weakest" type of each race in a perma party, by using only 1 star ungrinded weapons of the "wrong" element (ice on ice mobs and so on), and trying to beat missions at the lowest level possible ^-^

FoCast, RaFurl and HuNewearl, go go! =)

After all, I remember killing the dragon in PSO at level 1-2 on a RaCaseal, and Da Ragan, while a bit random, can be avoided with ease, so a bunch of level 1-6s could take him down, I'm sure.. Given time =D

Ok, now I'm just suggesting crazy ideas.

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 02:39 PM
Sadly my lunch break is over http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif. Catch you guys later. Keep comments comming.

ZiG
Nov 28, 2006, 02:55 PM
On 2006-11-28 11:36, ChrisKo wrote:
Yes, I am very happy of this lol. ZiG tried, but he was confused at my kindness towards him so he left. I want him to return and contribute.

I didn't try, at all. And I take offense to you coming at me like that.

Zarbolord
Nov 28, 2006, 02:56 PM
The title of the topic reminds me of the grandiose Battle Merge, I hope they'll bring it back, that'll be something to look for http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

KirinDave
Nov 28, 2006, 04:09 PM
On 2006-11-28 11:29, Doh42 wrote:
Amen.

But what's that about EA not listening?

Electronic Arts. They hate people. I worked for them briefly, and quit when I realized I had self-respect.

Google ea_spouse for another story.

Natrokos
Nov 28, 2006, 04:18 PM
If you don't like the game. Turn off the tv, go out for a cup of coffee. If it isn't fun why play it? There is no magic secret to the game. Some people like it some don't. No one is forced to play.

How you managed to get 64 par ebon I do not know....I am lvl 49 and i've only had about 8 total.

ChrisKo
Nov 28, 2006, 04:37 PM
Natrokos very easy. Early on when I was one of the few.... selling resonable 5* weapons, I frequently looked for cheap mats in shops and every time I saw it in shops for less than 2k I bought it. I have only recieved about 5 myself in actual missions.

Doh42
Nov 28, 2006, 04:39 PM
@KirinDave:
Oh, I heard all about those. I'm just sayin' that even if EA makes the choices they do, doesn't mean they don't LISTEN. It's their choice to do what they want with knowledge, remember. =)
You think they don't read the boards and lurk in forums?