PDA

View Full Version : problem with an ad.

Superguppie
Nov 28, 2006, 05:02 PM
@administrators here: contact the provider of the adds. There is a US army commercial in there that refreshes every second and pulls the focus to itself. This results in pages not working (at least, in Opera, and I expect in other browsers too) I had to reload the topic start page 10 times just so I could type this one. So I won't try to post another topic on this, and just type this here.
US army commercial? I'm in the Netherlands. I couldn't enter even if I wanted. However, the main point is it is a pain of a commercial that blocks website functionality.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2006-11-28 14:14 ]</font>

rena-ko
Nov 28, 2006, 05:11 PM
as the first part is a rant, i'll just move the thing to site-related then.

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 28, 2006, 10:56 PM
On 2006-11-28 14:02, Superguppie wrote:
US army commercial? I'm in the Netherlands. I couldn't enter even if I wanted.

I think you can, actually. I'm not clear on what the prerequisite criteria is, but the United States military does sometimes accept non-United States citizens. The practical upshot of it, is that when you get out, you're given your citizenship in the United States, and hey, you've got money for college, too. Not to mention some of the best medical coverage available in the nation.

Tomeeboy
Nov 28, 2006, 11:58 PM
What, are you a recruiter Meira? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I've sent in a ticket on that ad, it is actually causing some other problems as well. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to catch it on a page to get screenshots and the page source (which they need to remove it in most cases).

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 29, 2006, 03:57 PM
No... Not a recruiter... Though of my two best friends, one is in the Army, the other in the Marines, my favorite cousin (who I just saw for the first time in several years, and was therefore reminded of how odd he is) is also in the Marines. Furthermore, I've a friend who did a tour of duty in the Navy, and my grandfather was stationed on a Farragut-class Destroyer (THE Farragut, in fact) when Pearl Harbor was bombed (not to mention, my grandmother was a secretary at the base there at the time, as well). So, if I sometimes seem like a military advocate... There's probably some good reasons.

On a tangent... If I weren't Diabetic, I'd probably be in the Navy, myself.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUnewearl_Meira on 2006-11-29 12:58 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Nov 29, 2006, 10:19 PM
Heh, I just happened to notice that the very ad in question was displayed when I viewed this topic. I nabbed a few things in case you needed them.

Page Source (http://pcupgrades.home.bresnan.net/pagesource.rtf)
Ad Image (http://pcupgrades.home.bresnan.net/ad.jpg)

I also nabbed the swf file if you want it.

Tomeeboy
Nov 29, 2006, 10:34 PM
Hm.. that's not the same ad that I reported (there was an "Army of One" themed ad that had a bunch of army guys in formation on it). SuperGuppie, was the ad that VioletSkye posted a screenshot of the one causing your problem?

Superguppie
Nov 30, 2006, 10:52 AM
Yup. That's the one. It is actualy the same one as the one with the lined up guys in it. It has several pictures.
And I haven't seen it again since I reported it.

Hmmm, so the US army has a branch like the French Foreign Legion. Didn't know that one. Still doubt I would qualify, but that is a different matter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Superguppie on 2006-11-30 07:56 ]</font>