PDA

View Full Version : PSU: PSU Character Manager

foxmcleoud
Dec 1, 2006, 11:31 AM
For those of us hardcore PSU nuts that do nothing but eat, sleep, and play PSU...when is there going to be a PSU Character Manager for use with PSU? And if PSOW does make one, what about one that you sign into sega from the CM and it not only pulls up your characters, but what they look like, what clothes and line shields they have on, and on the side what weapons they have equipped, what items they have in their inventory, and a history of their transactions. Also, for the people running shops a way to check on their shop without having to sign into the game when they just wanna check it real quick. I'm trying to plan and map out my characters progression and can't wait for an easier way to do it rather than to use two computers or write everything down on paper.

Ryna
Dec 1, 2006, 11:33 AM
There was a cell-phone program released in Japan which was able to do most of what you were describing. Unforrtunately, I do not think Sega of America/Europe is going to make it available here.

foxmcleoud
Dec 1, 2006, 01:45 PM
well that's sad! hopefully they'll make a computer application like that, don't know about the cell phone thing though.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 1, 2006, 02:33 PM
If someone can get me all the formulas and requirements for the program, I'd be happy to make it, myself.

Ryna
Dec 1, 2006, 02:41 PM
On 2006-12-01 11:33, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
If someone can get me all the formulas and requirements for the program, I'd be happy to make it, myself.

The OP is talking about pulling data from the online servers.

Unfortunately, Sega hasn't made any publically available APIs for doing that. We'd probably have to break a couple of laws to do it ourselves.

foxmcleoud
Dec 3, 2006, 01:12 AM
True, very true about breaking laws. But this IS the largest PS website here in the US, isn't it? If one of the mods contacts Sega with a proposal then maybe they might allow something instead of taking a chance and setting yourselves up for a lawsuit! A character manager like this would be the single greatest and most useful third party application for PSU! And it's usefullness would be uncomparable to the character manager for PSO. And even better, it could be used in conjunction to the items database for character planning and store pricing! If someone did this project, i'm sure it would be the most used application off this site!

Ryna
Dec 3, 2006, 11:36 AM
I agree that a Character Manager that pulls its information from the game would be a very useful application. I'd very interested in creating one. Unfortunately, there are significant obstacles to overcome to create it. We'll see what we can do by going through official channels, but we can't make any promises about the outcome.

foxmcleoud
Dec 3, 2006, 06:45 PM
Indeed there will be many obsticles, especially creating it legally. Hopefully Sega will allow or even assist in a character manager! But even if things don't go through, PSOW made an attempt and that's awesome! As far as player interest in a character manager like the one proposed, think that's an idea for the next PSOW Poll? And if Sega sees how interested their PSU players are in a character manager, do you think it will help pursuade them in letting you go through or even assisting with the project?

foxmcleoud
Dec 4, 2006, 03:22 AM
okay, after getting booted from PSU and having to wait for GameGuard to finish downloading the update, might I propose including the player's Partner Card list and the ability to send simple mail out of the game to the friends in game through the Character Manager seeing how PS2 owners can't use Xfire.

Tomeeboy
Dec 4, 2006, 11:06 AM
I don't think there is much chance of Sega working with us to develop a program like this, so I hope nobody is getting their hopes up. I think that, at best, we'll probably just have a way for people to input their character information on the site (similar to the PSO character manager, but hopefully improved a bit) and send messages back and forth via PSOW's private message system.

foxmcleoud
Dec 6, 2006, 11:47 AM
Anything useful would be great! I'm having to get on here every now and then to check up on findings and NPC stores to compare stats on weps, then writing down what i'm wanting and it's price and sticking a post-it on my monitor! Maybe a PSOW Character Manager that has all the data from the items database and checks for updates to the database. Instead of going to page after page after page of what you're looking for, what about a drop down menu of weapon type and that pulls up a list of weapons of that type and it's class. Actually, that got me thinking! And this might be something you mods at PSOW could put together, legally! First, start off with a basic avitar of what your character face looks like. Male/Female Human/Newman/Beast/Cast. Then, add your current level and class level (ie, Lvl 50 with a Hu lvl 10) and it will pull up what your base stats should be. Add a menu button for Line Shields, choose the manufacturer and which LS you have, and add that to your character. Then, add a weapon that you have from the weapons menu. Finally, you have your character with it's hopefully proper stats that you can work with around there in planning out what you want before you get in the game and waste time running from one shop to another! Here's the best part....when you're wanting to upgrade, choose what LS or weapon you want from the menus and have it not only display it's stats, but how it will affect your character with the traditional orange and blue numbers. These are just a few ideas i'm throwing out because I do believe what Tomeeboy says. But I also believe that if PSOW presented Sega with these ideas and how many PSU players are standing behind it, there is a chance that it could happen. But it would take a strong effort to make this pull through. And if that fails, there is always a plan B!