PDA

View Full Version : Sony shifts from hardware to software?

solidsolo
Dec 1, 2006, 12:16 PM
Check out this article on the possibility of Sony's future... like SEGA did.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=150276

Akdov
Dec 1, 2006, 02:36 PM
It would be the ultimate irony if they suffered the same fate as Sega. But Sony's greatest strength is hardware the company would have to do a complete 180 in order to make the transition. I really don't have a clue where the Video Game industry is going. At this point I think almost any outcome is possible. We will probably need to wait two more years before we make an accurate assessment.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 1, 2006, 02:48 PM
That article makes it sound like Sony is giving up, already.

I can't think of any first-party Sony titles that've seen any measure of success; I know they've put out a couple of generic sports titles, and Jeopardy on the Sega CD... I can sooner see them abandon the mainstream of the game industry altogether than going strictly software.

KojiroAK
Dec 1, 2006, 02:56 PM
"I cannot now imagine a PlayStation 4."

To base such rumors on it, is pretty much to poke into the mud.

I think it's more meant like: "The PS3 isn't yet out in Europe and to think already on PS4 would be pretty early"

But to take in care, that Nintendo worked at Wii already before even GameCube was out, could again implicate little problems at Hardware at Sony.

And other than Sega Sony hasn't really that much software/franchises that really would be able to give sony enough incomes.

Ratchet and Clank, Gran Tourismo, this one Ego Shooter (with not even this good rep).
The last GT had it flaws and there are some others with realistic Race Games.
While R&C and the Ego shoter would have there problems to really stand the compares with Games that are on other consoles (X-Box Halo -> Ego Shooter, Nintendo Super Mario -> Ratchet and Clank)

So they would be only one producers in to a dozend.

But at least i wouldn't really sorrow if it would happen.

Kent
Dec 1, 2006, 03:03 PM
Sony could easily make it as a publisher. Just because they aren't developing software in-house, doesn't mean they can't go about publishing titles made by other developers.

Kinda like what Sega's doing now. They bombed from the Dreamcast, and now they're making a killing from just publishing games made by other companies, now that they're out of the hardware business.

The only real problem here... Does Sony have its own development houses? Sega owns teams like Sonic Team, Hitmaker, and SmileBit, but I can't think of any that Sony has, which could be trouble...

Unless they decided to just make good publishing deals with smaller development houses, in which case, things could work out.

Personally, though, I think Sony should get out of the video game business, all together. Let all that funding go to making better TVs or something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kent on 2006-12-01 12:04 ]</font>

roygbiv
Dec 1, 2006, 03:16 PM
The current perception is that Sony really did not do a good a job as they could have with getting the PS3 out.

The only really points of concern for me is that:

1. Sony hasn't really gotten a whole lot of units out (Failing to meet the 400,000 unit goal for NA is a bad sign). 200,000 units in NA on launch is kind of weak. Projecting 800.000 by year end is kind of sad. http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162523.html
2. Price of PS3 could end up limiting the accessibility of the system.
3. Cost of game development for the system are much higher than for the PS2. (Or the WII or Xbox 360 for that matter)... http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162509.html

Basically what matters now is really not what the consumer's think about the product... because even if we wanted to buy a PS3 we won't be getting one for a while... What matters now is the perception of game developers about the PS3. If they are getting advised that putting out a game for the system is going to be a loss, well they are going to be a lot more careful about jumping into the fray.

KojiroAK
Dec 1, 2006, 03:22 PM
On 2006-12-01 12:16, roygbiv wrote:
The current perception is that Sony really did not do a good a job as they could have with getting the PS3 out.

The only really points of concern for me is that:

1. Sony hasn't really gotten a whole lot of units out (Failing to meet the 400,000 unit goal for NA is a bad sign). 200,000 units in NA on launch is kind of weak. Projecting 800.000 by year end is kind of sad. http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162523.html
2. Price of PS3 could end up limiting the accessibility of the system.
3. Cost of game development for the system are much higher than for the PS2. (Or the WII or Xbox 360 for that matter)... http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162509.html

Basically what matters now is really not what the consumer's think about the product... because even if we wanted to buy a PS3 we won't be getting one for a while... What matters now is the perception of game developers about the PS3. If they are getting advised that putting out a game for the system is going to be a loss, well they are going to be a lot more careful about jumping into the fray.

Not to forget also the PSP didn't deliver what sony did await.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 1, 2006, 04:45 PM
On 2006-12-01 11:56, KojiroAK wrote:
But at least i wouldn't really sorrow if it would happen.

For that matter, there are people out there that would dance and sing.

I have to say, it's amazing to see Sony fall the way they are, right now. Just a year ago, they were a rolling powerhouse in the industry. Six years ago, they were the unstoppable juggernaut that inspired Sega to depart from the console business. Now... Now they're like a burning zeppelin, or even like the Titanic. Due for a long, but inescapeable failure, of large, thrashing proportions.

Blitzkommando
Dec 1, 2006, 04:46 PM
If in fact Sony became a publisher like that, they would obviously have one very big competitor: Electronic Arts. Frankly, both the companies deserve each other in competition because maybe they'll both start producing, or at least publishing, more original titles that are better than the constant re-hashes we see pulled. Now, both have had fun games, but for me at least, those games have become fewer and far between, specifically from EA. I'll admit, I loved the gameplay of Need for Speed: Most Wanted. It was just about exactly the type of racing game I wanted at the time and it filled the spot once I turned off in-game music and started my own. And, EA does have Maxis which is still proving to provide very fun games like Sim City series and whatnot, not to mention the buildup in hype over Spore.

I guess what I'm getting at is that there are only two other companies in the gaming market that have the resources financially, in influence, and in connections as EA: Microsoft and Sony. Seeing Microsoft has done a rather smack-dab job on their system I see no reason for them to get out of hardware and into publishing only. Sony on the other hand has had declining hardware quality and undersaturation of their new products giving them the idea of publishing quite possibly. They could finally, through the ultimate irony, by making a challenging foe to EA, strike a new upping of quality in the average product released. Of course, on the flip side it could do the opposite. Either way, it would pit Sony against EA for publishing and sales.

Solstis
Dec 1, 2006, 07:23 PM
I'd rather not Sony jump in to software, as we've all seen what they can do with a simple music album.

Error! Sony has hijacked your system wtih spyware!
Y/N?

medusae
Dec 1, 2006, 07:43 PM
<quote>I can't think of any first-party Sony titles that've seen any measure of success</quote>

They made God of War, which is still pretty popular now. People actually buy the PS2 just for that game from time to time. But yeah, I agree that they really don't have enough experience or success to go only software.

Ryudo
Dec 1, 2006, 07:49 PM
Sony arent developing nrew hardware right now because they expect the ps3 to last TEN YEARS, double the normal console lifespan

That isnt giving up, its having faith in your console

Neith
Dec 1, 2006, 08:31 PM
Oh wow, never thought I'd see this (never thought Gran Turismo HD would be canned either).

I've got my opinions on Sony, which are far from positive. Will be interesting to see what exactly happens.

'No PS4' made me warm inside.

RuneLateralus
Dec 1, 2006, 09:12 PM
To be fair, the PS3 came out just recently. What? Are you that impatient?

It really depends though on the how PS3 really does though. And maybe the whole Blu-ray thing.

The only really thing Sony has to truly push to get gamers to buy a PS3 over a 360...but considering that Sony has been losing a lot of exclusives, the games that are on both are playing better on the 360 (according to reviews...specifically with Call of Duty 3 and Tony Hawk), and that Gears of War blows everything out of the water for the PS3 in terms of graphics (and even in game quality), they have to really try hard.

Remember, Sony is a company that has a history of over-promising and under-delivering. And (at least for me from what I see), it looks like they are doomed to repeat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2006-12-01 18:17 ]</font>

Kent
Dec 1, 2006, 10:13 PM
On 2006-12-01 18:12, RuneLateralus wrote:
And maybe the whole Blu-ray thing.

Betamax, anyone?

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 1, 2006, 11:28 PM
On 2006-12-01 16:49, Ryudo wrote:
Sony arent developing nrew hardware right now because they expect the ps3 to last TEN YEARS, double the normal console lifespan

That isnt giving up, its having faith in your console

That is very much Sony's arrogance getting in the way of good business decisions. The way things are looking, the PS3 won't last two, let alone ten.

PJ
Dec 1, 2006, 11:55 PM
If the PS3 died faster than the Dreamcast did, I'd be happy

Serves em right.

SOny wouldn't survive as a software developer, either. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif GO BACK TO TVS! I LIKED THOSE TVS ATLEAST :C

RuneLateralus
Dec 2, 2006, 02:10 AM
On 2006-12-01 19:13, Kent wrote:

On 2006-12-01 18:12, RuneLateralus wrote:
And maybe the whole Blu-ray thing.

Betamax, anyone?

My thoughts exactly. Sony isn't well known for their formats.

The PS3 is a great way to advertise for it, but they should try to make the system and launch much better than it turned out to be. Granted 360 didn't have an absolute amazing game at launch, it had a a good amount of good games in general from Launch (Quake IV, Condemned, Call of Duty 2, Kameo, Project Gotham) to March when the good stuff started to come out this year (Elder Scrolls, Ghost Recon).

Skett
Dec 2, 2006, 03:07 AM
Y'know, I hate how cocky Sony has become and the stupid stuff their head employees spout off, but I'd still hate to see them leave the business. They publish some great games and their consoles have been pretty good outside the whole DRE issue. I just really, really, really wish they would stop acting like they can do no wrong and they can win without games. It's very annoying.

Oji_Retta
Dec 3, 2006, 04:24 PM
I have no clue why everyone is on Sony's case. I find most companies I buy products from to be "arrogant". I buy from MS and I do find Apple to be arrogant (I don't want the mac to get more users because then it will acquire what I hate about the PC). And for the Record, GT HD might be cancelled, but GT5 is on the way in its place. So yeah. Not so bad seeing that the plan for GT HD was for people to buy additional content like cars and maps from the network. And I would hate to see MS dominate the market. If Sony is going to fall, I'd rather Nintendo takes its place. But that is just me.

Moo2u
Dec 3, 2006, 04:34 PM
The Sega fan in me says, "Hells yeah! Go back to the hellish spawn you came from! Serves ya right!" But the logical person in me says, "It's waaaaaaaaay to earily to tell."

g0r177az
Dec 3, 2006, 04:41 PM
I don't know if anyone here knows but Sony does have software outside of the video game market, like the Acid programs. It does not solely rely on the gaming industry and games.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 4, 2006, 01:02 PM
On 2006-12-03 13:24, Oji_Retta wrote:
I have no clue why everyone is on Sony's case. I find most companies I buy products from to be "arrogant". I buy from MS and I do find Apple to be arrogant (I don't want the mac to get more users because then it will acquire what I hate about the PC). And for the Record, GT HD might be cancelled, but GT5 is on the way in its place. So yeah. Not so bad seeing that the plan for GT HD was for people to buy additional content like cars and maps from the network. And I would hate to see MS dominate the market. If Sony is going to fall, I'd rather Nintendo takes its place. But that is just me.

Microsoft and Apple aren't arrogant in the blatant way that Sony is. Sony's attitude is that it doesn't matter what they do, people will still buy their products by the horde. They produce shoddy work, advertise that they've got magic in a box, and then mention in passing to the press that their product will sell no matter what's wrong with it. That's why we don't like Sony. They don't care who they trample over, and their behavior is abhorable.

On 2006-12-03 13:41, g0r177az wrote:
I don't know if anyone here knows but Sony does have software outside of the video game market, like the Acid programs. It does not solely rely on the gaming industry and games.

Yes, g0r177az, we are are aware that Sony has been publishing digital media, making TVs, and DVD players, and all manner of consumer, commercial and industrial electronics for a great many years, now, all quite independently of the game industry.

Oji_Retta
Dec 4, 2006, 06:36 PM
On 2006-12-04 10:02, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

Microsoft and Apple aren't arrogant in the blatant way that Sony is. Sony's attitude is that it doesn't matter what they do, people will still buy their products by the horde. They produce shoddy work, advertise that they've got magic in a box, and then mention in passing to the press that their product will sell no matter what's wrong with it. That's why we don't like Sony. They don't care who they trample over, and their behavior is abhorable.

Dear Muse of the Rant:

Well, maybe it doesn't bother me as much since I am kind of like Sony in the sense that I am arrogant. And I don't deny it either. I really do behave arrogantly to a certain group of people and I always tell them things (when I am frustrated with them) such as "If I lost some intellect, you'd still be nowhere near my level." And in all honesty, that is the flat out truth in most cases. And by the way, I find Microsoft to be an abomination as a company. Same for Nintendo and so on. Apple is very arrogant, just as arrogant as Sony from what I've seen. But I really just find Sony's comments to be amusing as I do the Mac commercials. If a company that is an asshole has the power to piss you off, then I guess that is just you. But it doesn't bother me. If I like their product, I will buy it. For the record, I use Apple, Microsoft, and Sony products. So don't go labeling me as a fanny (fan boy, I know).

Sincerely,

Oji