PDA

View Full Version : Happy Holidays. A bit early.

Firocket1690
Dec 2, 2006, 03:35 PM
w00t. I'm ranting again. Kinda.

December's come by again. Sweet, nice time of year. I can't explain it, I just love the winter seasons in general. Happy get together time and whatnot.

Two weeks ago. I saw The Polar Express on dvd at home. In the basement. At 2am. Really beautiful movie, and the animation is quite spectacular. Okay, I'm going to spoil it. Santa gives the boy a bell, and tells him to believe. The boy believes, and hears the bell's ring. The parents think he's a naive young child, and don't hear anything from said bell.
Stereotypical of mass media on the market today, no? Media (not specifically this movie, but a handful of others) tells its watchers to believe in the selfless giving sense of the holiday season, and be happy. Yet, the movie itself is retailing as an object of money. So we (consumers) are supposed to purchase such objects, to be reminded of that old 'holiday spirit' from whenever?
None of that made sense written out, but it did a while ago. I'm losing it.

This was probably about.. last week. Saosin and Senses Fail had a concert in the city. I was hoping to walk by the door, and buy a ticket for $20 (retail $14) or something, and walk in like I do for most of my concerts. Oh well, no luck. Get on the subway and go home, nothing else to do on a saturday night. I think it was on the 6, I bumped into this young couple, and two kids. I gave up my seat, as i usually do for parents, and he's .. overly grateful. *shrug* Both of them still have that young love vibe. The girl looked like she was barely in college. Judging from aesthetics, they weren't too pecuniarily well off. I wrote "hold her close" on the $20 I didn't spend, and handed it to him, as I got off my stop. Probably the biggest smile I've seen in months. And who said money can't buy happiness.

My school never ceases to amuse me. Trimester ends on the 6th. And nobody has given their tests yet! Teachers need another test grade before the trimester ends. Well, we only have those two days left.. let's use them!
English and History tests on monday, Physics and Spanish tests on tuesday. I love procrastinators. Thanks for killing my weekend. And I'll have a side order of stress, please!

Oh. And I always wear my pimp hat (cheap santa hat) throughout most of December to school. And people usually ask "I thought you weren't Christian? Why do you have a Santa hat?" Well. It's a rather simple idea. Santa is a product of ficticious media. The jolly fat man has nothing to do with biblical history. Find me the bible verse that states Santa brings toys to children, and I'll pay you $20. I respect the man because he's a happy man, lives on cookies, and brings toys to little children. Nobody can ask for a more fulfilling job. He can be happy for the hell of being happy; something majority of today's society is unable to do. I respect that. I like happy people. I'm getting my hair dyed green and red, whoever cares.

What else has been pissing me off..
Art! I havn't been able to draw hands lately. That is all.

Okay, it's not so much a rant as it is a ramble, but ehh. It's a psuedo rant at people in general. I'm probably one of two people who like December for what it is, but meh. Media runs the people like clockwork. Time comes, people buy stuff, and feign 'holiday spirit' for the hell of trying to make everyone seem they're not zombies, mentally. It's just so damn routine.
I just feel out of place because I can't quite seem to grasp the concept of why people do this year after year. All the shallow materialistic shit.
The hell happened to the people? People aren't thought of as friends, but rather another $30 you're forced to spend? There isn't too much angst, just a bunch of stress. my sanity is nearly gone, but at least I almost have the boy.

I'm overanalytical. Sue me.

Mystil
Dec 2, 2006, 04:22 PM
Err wow, thats probably the best rant I ever read here. I agree with *all* of it, and all I can add(cause you pretty much covered it all) is that the majority of society was brought up like that.

Kent
Dec 3, 2006, 01:59 AM
Hm... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Even after everything, in the end, you can still cut through the cynicism (like a thick wheel of cheese), and still feel like doing good things for random people. That's the kind of person that the worthwhile people, like to have around.

Ryudo
Dec 3, 2006, 12:08 PM
Art! I havn't been able to draw hands lately. That is all.

You should be happy you can ever draw hands! xD
Every artist I know hates them