PDA

View Full Version : Is it still Phantasy Star?

Sacrifyx
Dec 3, 2006, 12:05 AM
I don't know how many of you were around to play the ORIGINAL PS games, but...
I dunno, I was a huge fan (still am) of those, and a big fan of PSO when it came out. It was the whole reason I bought a dreamcast, actually. But PSO was a HUGE departure from the original story. It had some similar elements, and some familiar faces, but the places were different, the story behind it (what I could understand of it) took a giant leap off the path. What I liked most about it admittedly was the online aspect, meeting new people, goin out and killing stuff and so on, and I'm sure I could enjoy it in PSU as well. Problem is, I can enjoy that in any MMO. When I see the name Phantasy Star, I want a familiar story in familiar surroundings played out in familiar ways using familiar weapons and things of that nature, the battle systems and the character types and the like that were laid out most notably in PS4. With such a huge departure being made from what made Phantasy Star, well, Phantasy Star in PSO, and apparently an even bigger jump in PSU (haven't played it, though I will as the name alone warrants a test drive), is it still truly Phantasy Star?

KodiaX987
Dec 3, 2006, 01:10 AM
Think of it as Final Fantasy. The storyline is completely different from one game to the next but the name and the franchise stays. The only things common between each game are the techniques, guns and Dark Falz.

PJ
Dec 3, 2006, 09:57 AM
Foie is still foie, if that floats your boat http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

rena-ko
Dec 3, 2006, 10:16 AM
i think PSU is closer to PS4 or PS2 than PSO ever was to any PS game.

my 2 eurocents.

Ryudo
Dec 3, 2006, 12:10 PM
It's as close as you want it to be really, you dont want them to mess around with the original story

Ruby-chan
Dec 4, 2006, 12:51 AM
On 2006-12-03 06:57, PJ wrote:
Foie is still foie, if that floats your boat http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Actually Foi is now Foi, Res is now Resta, and Megrid isn't a gigantic area effect of firey explosions and Grants isn't a protection spell. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Nicodareus
Dec 4, 2006, 02:28 AM
Neither PSO or PSU are true Phantasy Star games in any way. Granted they are great games, but they will NEVER be Phantasy Star games.. And to whoever said that Phantasy star is like Final Fantasy, that is so far from the truth it hurts.... Phantasy Star 1-4 are -ALL- connected in ALOT of ways. And PSU even seems to have a few connections storywise to act as either a distant prequel or distant sequel to the original games, however I have not seen any supporting evidence that they actually are. But hey, Phantasy Star games are generally 1000 years apart anyways, so it is definitely very likely.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 4, 2006, 03:21 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up, Nicodareus. I think the closest we can hope to come to a connection to the original series is that they may very well occur in the same universe, though in entirely different civilizations.

Still, there is a pattern to each franchise thus far. So far, each franchise has 4 installments, the third of which will be wildly different from the others.

I do share the disappointment, however, that we've now had two online Phantasy Star franchises, and we still haven't had the opportunity to explore Algol with friends in 3D splendor. We'll have to see what happens in five or six years, when Sega announces the next Phantasy Star series. Maybe we'll get lucky, and get to see Algol again.

Nicodareus
Dec 4, 2006, 05:19 AM
Personally I'd rather have Phantasy Star 5 and let it be untainted with online gameplay. Online crap is fun and all, but there is something to be said for single-player RPGs as well.. My only reasoning for distant links to the other Phantasy star games (Most likely prequel if anything) is that Gurhal sure sounds alot like Algol and all the planet names are EXTREMELY similar is pronunciation in some way or another.. Not to mention PSO made it seem like Dark Falz was born on planet Ragol.. Which makes me think that Ragol was possibly the hidden planet of darkness in Phantasy Star 4 where the ultimate evil resided or whatnot (God.. I must have been like 12 last time I got that far in phantasy star 4..) All they'd have to do is tie that up, freeze neudaiz with ice SEED types, drain Moatoobs mineral resources with fire SEED types and voila.. They'd have a makeshift prequel that makes all the fans go "BOOOOOO!!!!!!".. Heheh.. I dont think any of it was intentional, but they lead me to believe that this is where they might be headed with the plot. Newmans could very easily evolve into Dezorians (Seen the big priest like hats like Dezorians wear?! Yeah...) Beasts could just as easily evolve into Motavians.. Thus leaving Humans and a greatly dwindled CAST population on Parum. Plus, it seems like the civilizations on PSU are far too advanced to be a sequel.. If the Phantasy Star series has taught us anything, it's that Dark Falz WILL further degrade civilization every 1000 years.. After all, was there EVER a phantasy star game where things got BETTER over the 1000 years past? :P

Maskim
Dec 4, 2006, 03:29 PM
I like to think of it as a part of the PS timeline. There's 3 planets, similar in name and locale to the original games (1000's of years of change). Humanity's planet is oddly (unless you've played PS games, not just PSO) missing. No, I think its far distant sequel, with not the deepest or intwining of stories. I personally think that the beasts are not quite what we all assume, just human and animal combined race, but a engineering of human and ancient Moltovian DNA...or whatever. I mean, there's a Primitive Moatoob Idol. If the beast race truely started when humanity mixed their genes wth animals, then what primitive civilization was there? They were born into a very advanced civilization. I think the primitive idols are remants from their Moltavian heritage.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 4, 2006, 03:52 PM
On 2006-12-04 02:19, Nicodareus wrote:
Personally I'd rather have Phantasy Star 5 and let it be untainted with online gameplay. Online crap is fun and all, but there is something to be said for single-player RPGs as well.. My only reasoning for distant links to the other Phantasy star games (Most likely prequel if anything) is that Gurhal sure sounds alot like Algol and all the planet names are EXTREMELY similar is pronunciation in some way or another.. Not to mention PSO made it seem like Dark Falz was born on planet Ragol.. Which makes me think that Ragol was possibly the hidden planet of darkness in Phantasy Star 4 where the ultimate evil resided or whatnot (God.. I must have been like 12 last time I got that far in phantasy star 4..) All they'd have to do is tie that up, freeze neudaiz with ice SEED types, drain Moatoobs mineral resources with fire SEED types and voila.. They'd have a makeshift prequel that makes all the fans go "BOOOOOO!!!!!!".. Heheh.. I dont think any of it was intentional, but they lead me to believe that this is where they might be headed with the plot. Newmans could very easily evolve into Dezorians (Seen the big priest like hats like Dezorians wear?! Yeah...) Beasts could just as easily evolve into Motavians.. Thus leaving Humans and a greatly dwindled CAST population on Parum. Plus, it seems like the civilizations on PSU are far too advanced to be a sequel.. If the Phantasy Star series has taught us anything, it's that Dark Falz WILL further degrade civilization every 1000 years.. After all, was there EVER a phantasy star game where things got BETTER over the 1000 years past? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

You're trying way too hard, and you've got your facts all kerfuzzled. First off, the Ruins where Dark Falz was found was discovered to be an ancient space ship. Whereever Dark Falz came from originally, it wasn't Ragol; someone did however, dump it there. We don't know who.

There was no "planet of darkness" in PSIV. There was Rykros, which drifted by every thousand years, but that planet was meant to remind the Algolians of why they were there. The Profound Darkness' prison was another dimension altogether, and Algol was the seal.

As far as PSU being a prequel... Not possible. To begin with, the combination of planets don't match. In Gurhal, we've got a tropical planet, a desert planet, and another planet that seems to resemble Japan's climate, instead of a frozen planet. Furthermore, Dezolis was frozen over because of its distance from its sun, not because of any sort of dark infection.

I'll also note that it'd take far longer than 1,000 years for Beasts to evolve into Motavians; assuming they have the potential to do so at all. Evolution is a process that takes millions of years, and hasn't actually even been proven to work in practice. The differences between Beasts and Motavians are rather significant.

Maskim
Dec 4, 2006, 04:10 PM
On 2006-12-04 12:52, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

On 2006-12-04 02:19, Nicodareus wrote:
Personally I'd rather have Phantasy Star 5 and let it be untainted with online gameplay. Online crap is fun and all, but there is something to be said for single-player RPGs as well.. My only reasoning for distant links to the other Phantasy star games (Most likely prequel if anything) is that Gurhal sure sounds alot like Algol and all the planet names are EXTREMELY similar is pronunciation in some way or another.. Not to mention PSO made it seem like Dark Falz was born on planet Ragol.. Which makes me think that Ragol was possibly the hidden planet of darkness in Phantasy Star 4 where the ultimate evil resided or whatnot (God.. I must have been like 12 last time I got that far in phantasy star 4..) All they'd have to do is tie that up, freeze neudaiz with ice SEED types, drain Moatoobs mineral resources with fire SEED types and voila.. They'd have a makeshift prequel that makes all the fans go "BOOOOOO!!!!!!".. Heheh.. I dont think any of it was intentional, but they lead me to believe that this is where they might be headed with the plot. Newmans could very easily evolve into Dezorians (Seen the big priest like hats like Dezorians wear?! Yeah...) Beasts could just as easily evolve into Motavians.. Thus leaving Humans and a greatly dwindled CAST population on Parum. Plus, it seems like the civilizations on PSU are far too advanced to be a sequel.. If the Phantasy Star series has taught us anything, it's that Dark Falz WILL further degrade civilization every 1000 years.. After all, was there EVER a phantasy star game where things got BETTER over the 1000 years past? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

You're trying way too hard, and you've got your facts all kerfuzzled. First off, the Ruins where Dark Falz was found was discovered to be an ancient space ship. Whereever Dark Falz came from originally, it wasn't Ragol; someone did however, dump it there. We don't know who.

There was no "planet of darkness" in PSIV. There was Rykros, which drifted by every thousand years, but that planet was meant to remind the Algolians of why they were there. The Profound Darkness' prison was another dimension altogether, and Algol was the seal.

As far as PSU being a prequel... Not possible. To begin with, the combination of planets don't match. In Gurhal, we've got a tropical planet, a desert planet, and another planet that seems to resemble Japan's climate, instead of a frozen planet. Furthermore, Dezolis was frozen over because of its distance from its sun, not because of any sort of dark infection.

I'll also note that it'd take far longer than 1,000 years for Beasts to evolve into Motavians; assuming they have the potential to do so at all. Evolution is a process that takes millions of years, and hasn't actually even been proven to work in practice. The differences between Beasts and Motavians are rather significant.

Although I think Nico had some good ideas, overall, you are correct. It can't be a prequel, and Falz wasn't from Ragol. However, should this game take place longer than 1000 years after PSIV, who knows when it takes place in the continuim really, then planets, races, everything can change.

Your recollection of Dezolis troubled me when I was thinking about my theory before, because I too had recalled it being completely frozen, not likely to just thaw, becoming wonderfully temperate and habitable.

However, should it be loger than 1000 years, this is a possibility. Not to mention, Newmans(neumans, whatever) lay claim to neudaiz. With their heightened intellect, it is very plausible, especially in a sci fi/fantasy setting, that they devised a way in which to warm their planet. Just like Moatoob and Parum sound similar to their respective planets, Neudaiz sounds a lot like New Dez. A new Dezolis, given new life, and a new name to match the PS style of spelling and pronunciation. Perhaps it's just coincidence, but I prefer not to think so. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

KojiroAK
Dec 4, 2006, 04:13 PM
On 2006-12-04 12:52, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

The differences between Beasts and Motavians are rather significant.

What's about some sort of retrovirus?
Or an other sort of genetic experiment?
(succeeded or not)

At least in PSO the creatures was a product of genetic experiments (or better the product of a product of genetic experiments)

T0m
Dec 4, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolution is a process that takes millions of years, and hasn't actually even been proven to work in practice.

I'll start with saying that this should be true for the case at hand; a thousand years is not enough to explain such a huge difference.
But as a statement, it's just not true. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

The emergence of a new species will take those amounts of time. Macroevolution in general will too. But microevolution can be relatively fast. Fast enough to be visible on a human scale.
One example is that many breeds of bacteria evolved strains resistant to antibiotics, in only the last couple of decades. And, when DDT was commonly used as pesticide, DDT-resistant mosquitoes evolved.

And if this wasn't enough proof to show that (micro)evolution has been proven to work in practice, there are controlled experiments which should be enough.
(Warning! This links to a very dry and dull site.) The E. coli Long-term Experimental Evolution Project Site (http://myxo.css.msu.edu/ecoli/) Over 40,000 generations of E.Colis.

Anyhow, apologies for going into great detail about an off-topic detail. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 4, 2006, 08:53 PM
T0m, you're speaking of Survival of the Fittest, which is simple, logical, and can be demonstrated. Survival of the Fittest alone doesn't turn bacteria into trees, however, nor does it turn fish into lizards. Evolution may or may not be a truth of the universe. We can't demonstrate it on a large enough scale to prove that it works.

KojiroAK, according to Phantasy Star IV, the races of Algol were "placed" in Algol by The Great Light to act as the protectors of the seal, and furthermore, in the time of the original Phantasy Star, Motavia had only recently been discovered; like, within 30 years of the game, discovered, possibly more recently. The Palmans that settled there were still trying to figure out how to communicate with the Motavians.

Maskim, if Gurhal were Algol, and Parum were Palma, and "Neudaiz" represented "New Dezolis", then how did they go about reconstructing Palma from the asteroid belt that it was by the time of Phantasy Star IV? Clearly, this is not a direct sequel.

As I stated previously, the only hope PSU has of being related to the original series is that it may very well be the same universe, maybe even the same galaxy, but completely different civilizations.

T0m
Dec 5, 2006, 05:37 AM
The thing is, evolution isn't even intended as a truth, but as a theory.

It would be easier to use another theory as example; Newton's law. That's a tried and tested theory, and it's been demonstrated countless times to be true. Not once did that apple fall upwards. Every time an apple falls, it will fall down. This does not make Newton's law an absolute truth. On the contrary, his theory has long ago been refined and replaced by other theories, most famous probably Einstein's. (Newton's law couldn't explain events on a atomic level).
Newton's laws are still sufficient to explain facts, and to predict events, so as a theory it's still workable, and probably today's youth still has to learn about it.

Evolution is a theory too. One which so far, to a satisfying degree, explains the known facts related to it. It is true that due to the timescale macroevolution works in, it's hard to test falsifiable predictions. Whether or not any has been tested, I don't know. As said before, this is the case for microevolution.

The point of this additional off topic post is not, however, to contradict you, or to urge you to embrace evolution as a truth. It's to inform the reader that evolution is never intended as the answer, or as the thruth. It's to refine the notion about evolution; rather than an unending thruth some want to force onto others, it's "just" a theory. It does explain known facts (not without leaving questions), and can be used to predict the future.
It's a workable theory, but doubtlessly will be refined or replaced in time. (Altough the new theory will probably be dubbed "evolution theory" too, confusingly).

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 6, 2006, 05:16 AM
Maybe ryucross is parum? I mean how hard can it be to change a planet's orbit with that kind of technology? Also lets not forget that almost everything on the planet is artificially created.

Or we could just go by what sega says, which is that the 3 series take place in the same universe, and PSU takes place supposedly about 20-30 or so years after PSO.

OnnaWren
Dec 9, 2006, 04:02 PM
I see it this way, as long as the AW calendar keeps marching on like it always has, it will still be Phantasy Star, no matter how far-flung.

The Algo Cycle is over, although the evil inherent in people's hearts yet remains... same with the Ragol Saga (sort of). It's not so much about place as it is the children of the Great light (eg Palmans).

I will always maintain that the worldships did not all cluster together, and that some of them may yet be the basis for other PS2-era technology-based civilizations and whatnot...

Phantasy Star is far too loose-ended to completely rule that out.