PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Wartecher, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love T

Valatar
Dec 8, 2006, 07:52 PM
Poor Wartechers, only 8% of the polls indicated they were going to choose this expert class. And on the surface of things, it's perfectly understandable, as the things Wartechers lack are very obvious.

Wartechers lack:

Rank 21-30 weapon skills.
Rank 21-30 techniques.
Rank 11-30 bullets.
Almost all S-rank weapons except daggers and twin daggers.

Yeah, that's pretty hurtful. The Wartechers will never have the spiffy third attack with their weapons, nor the super-big explosions of the 30-rank techniques, and their skill with firearms is frankly sad. They'll never be as good as a Figunner with their weapons, nor as good as a Fortecher with their techniques.

Let's just all not play them.

What?

Oh, the upsides? Well, there may be a couple.

Wartechers get the most HP of any class, tied with the Fortefighters.
Wartechers get the second-best evasion, tied with Forces.
Wartechers get the third-best MST, just behind Forces and more than twice that of the melee classes.
Wartechers get access to every technique in the game.

What does this mean? Well, first and foremost, the Wartecher is the sturdiest type in the game, with a great big HP pool, a high evasion rating, and no particular vulnerability to melee or techniques. Fortechers are better at resisting techniques but have half the HP and very little armor, Fortefighters have better armor but less evasion and half the MST, while the Wartecher can stand up against any attack in the game. Put a good shield on them and a MST-booster in the head slot, and the Wartecher can stroll through a mission dodging the melee attacks and shrugging off the techniques while the rest of the party takes a beating.

Daggers

The dagger and twin dagger are the only two weapons in the game that a Wartecher will ever be able to equip at S rank. However, a thing to bear in mind is that Wartechers actually have a much better weapon list than a Hunter, with a sizable pile of A rank weapons at their disposal. A Wartecher who doesn't want to use daggers can do so without any hassles. That being said, daggers are obviously the weapon that the Wartechers are meant to use, so daggers are what we'll look at.

Dagger (Single)

Daggers are surprisingly good melee weapons, doing a decent amount of damage with lots of slashes. The only thing that has ever annoyed me about them was their short reach, but honestly that only comes up when trying to pop a row of boxes in a single chain of hits. When fighting monsters, I've never been shy about getting right on top of them, so range isn't a real factor. Wartechers' good health and defense come in handy at times like that; it wouldn't be as wise for other people to try to go toe to toe with some of the critters out there.

Buten Shuren-zan is an excellent skill, one that I adore. However, it needs to be used with care. The second step of the skill involves a kick that tosses monsters away from you like bowling pins, which just looks fantastic, but makes any forces in your party plan to murder you in your sleep. Please, show consideration for anyone in your party who uses AoE attacks and don't go kicking all the monsters away while they're trying to get them lined up. It makes them cry. You can spam the first attack of the skill without any fear of knockback, so fall back on that when you need to. The thing that makes Buten Shuren-zan such an excellent skill is the way the character moves while using it. It's easily possible to dash forward, hit one opponent, spin around and hit another, jump over to hit a couple more, then kick yet another pair over the horizon. Even better, once you get some practice with the skill it becomes easy to dodge attacks while using it. Learn and know and love this skill and it will treat you well.

Twin Dagger

In most things, I actually prefer the single dagger to the twin. Single lets you hold a pistol in the off-hand and has a great PA skill, and while the twin hits more often, it doesn't really hit that much harder.

Renkai Buyou-zan should not be ignored, however. It isn't the most exciting skill, appearance-wise, but it offers a whole pile of advantages. One is that it's almost impossible to interrupt; it goes off almost instantly upon hitting the button. Two is that it's a whirling blender of death to creatures with multiple hit locations. Snuggle in close to the side of a big critter or boss and fire off this skill, then giggle as you watch the white numbers come pouring out. I don't know for certain whether the crea weapons can get multiple hits per swing on a single creature with lots of hit locations, but if they can, this skill will quickly gain a reputation as the best means to completely assassinate a boss. And as icing on the cake, the skill can hit things all around you, no need to worry about whether something's coming up behind you when you set it off.

Techniques

I started playing Phantasy Star with PSII, and they're called techniques, not TECHNICS, dammit. Ethan can bite me. Anyhow, techniques are the second side of the Wartecher coin, and they're where things start to get a little murky. Fortechers utterly outclass Wartechers in technique damage. They get to use better equipment, higher ranks, and have a much higher technique power. There is no contest whatsoever, the Fortecher is better than you are and will always be better than you are.

But the Fortecher is also a pansy who has to run away like a girl when a monster even looks at them, so the Wartecher can at least get a few laughs out of that.

Now Wartechers can use any and all techniques, which is good. And they can get them up to rank 20, which is respectable. The trick being, which techniques are worth using? You can't use a dagger with a wand, so any time you switch to cast you lose access to your melee weapons, and that makes things awkward. Casting the buffs is an obvious choice, but unfortunately for us the buffs aren't in the game yet.

Healing

Resta and Reverser are two no-brainers, take them. Don't argue with me about not being a healbot, if your teammates die it comes out of everyone's hide, so don't be shy with whipping out the wand to save someone's life. It's for your own good as well as everyone else's. Make sure you level those two technics to their cap; the higher their level the greater their range and the less you have to bother finding the injured person you're trying to heal. One trick that I use often is to hustle to the doorway when the party is exiting a room and heal when everyone's going through it. That way the party's tightly bunched together and you don't have to worry about some straggler being out of range. Just toss out a Resta once or twice per block and your party should be in good shape, not to mention grateful. Likewise, using Reverser to un-sleep people can make a big difference in a fight, so keep an eye out for those debuff icons on the left side of your screen.

Offense

This boils down to personal preference. I personally prefer to use my daggers for damage, relegating techniques to longer-range attacks and putting debuffs on monsters. Because, like I said, if you want to use techniques for most of your damage you may as well be a Fortecher. However, if you want to toss techniques around there's nothing to stop you; Wartechers are decent enough with them. The point-blank gi class of techniques is a good fit to Wartechers in particular, as they can run into the middle of a big pile of monsters without any real danger and proceed to fry them all. Likewise, the short-range cone damu techniques (when they get released onto the US servers) can be used by a Wartecher without much risk. Longer-range techniques are good for things that the Wartecher can't reach, as their bullet skills are pretty pathetic. Speaking of which:

Guns, guns, guns

Well, on the upside, Wartechers are moderately better with guns than Hunters. On the downside, they only get to use bows, pistols, and cards, and they only get to use them up to level 10. All of them are decent weapons, but not so decent when you can't use better than level 10 bullets with them. In all honesty, a Wartecher really can't consider their ranged weapon as anything more than a means to tap distant monsters for experience, or as something to do when a monster is way up in the air. Even a Fortecher looks like an olympic marksman compared to a Wartecher, it is simply not a viable option. That being said, it's not unwise to be packing a pistol with your dagger and wands for tapping monsters, shooting boxes, or shooting at flying critters when they're out of reach. Just so long as you don't expect to actually kill anything with it.

throttlekitty
Dec 8, 2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks, and well put! I think that once we get the buff spells, this may be a pretty powerful solo class!

Sitka
Dec 8, 2006, 08:49 PM
Nice post.

I'm absolutely convinced I do not want to play a Wartecher http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Level 10 bullets = bleh

They will be a welcome addition to any underleveled team needing a tank that can buff/heal.

Kinda I why I went Guntecher with one of my characters - similar advantages in some ways but the ability to get decent ranged weapons tipped the balance in their favor imho.

PJ
Dec 8, 2006, 11:46 PM
On 2006-12-08 16:52, Valatar wrote:
Techniques

I started playing Phantasy Star with PSII, and they're called techniques, not TECHNICS, dammit.

In Phantasy Star 2 they are techniques.

In Phantasy Star Universe they are TECHNICS.

Get over it.

Zer_01
Dec 8, 2006, 11:51 PM
sweet!

ive always been a fan of melee/caster classes in any game i have ever played, and i do tend to play at weird hours so thats an extra selling point for me as well.

personally, i think that your post should be a sticky Valatar.

heey...and i think ive seen you on Cyllix! ill wave with mordovan next time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zer_01 on 2006-12-08 20:52 ]</font>

SoiFong
Dec 8, 2006, 11:56 PM
you left fans (cards) out of the loop in our gun slot .. no mention of them .. they are a very viable option to replaces handgun .. at least i think so.

Niki
Dec 9, 2006, 12:00 AM
Daddy's goin' with 'Techniques', forever.

Valatar, thanks for the post. That's almost conviced me to come back and play.

Valatar
Dec 9, 2006, 01:05 AM
I mentioned the cards, just not beyond mentioning their existence. My beef with cards for a Wartecher is primarily that you can't aim them like a pistol, thus denying the pistol's useful ability to shoot at stuff up in the sky. Plus, as Wartechers can't go past rank 10 bullet PAs, they'll only be shooting two cards at a time, which won't be accomplishing much. A Fortecher with their four cards at once could be a pretty impressive sight, but I fear that people will only ever laugh at a Wartecher making a serious effort to use a gun. Any gun, including the bow and cards, which are powerful weapons in the hands of a Fortecher.

DoubleJG
Dec 9, 2006, 01:42 AM
Your first half of your post got me angry, but then I realized you were being sarcastic.

I'm a WARmar and loving every second of it. As soon as I cast Resta, people go "Yay! A Force!" Yet then they become suprised to see me bust out a dagger (favorite weapon class) and reak some major havoc left and right. The level10 bullets are a bit disappointing, but it's enough to make do with. Level 20 PAs makes for decent attack skills while level 20 techs make them an excellent melee force, or FOmar as so many people tried to make back in PSO. Sure, having a fortetecher in the party would best having a wartecher, but having both at the same time would be even better. FOtecher can nuke nuke nuke while the WAR can heal/attack attack attack/heal, etc.

I'm glad I chose this class over Guntecher because GTs are becoming very common and I like to stick out.

Randomness
Dec 9, 2006, 07:57 AM
On 2006-12-08 22:05, Valatar wrote:
I mentioned the cards, just not beyond mentioning their existence. My beef with cards for a Wartecher is primarily that you can't aim them like a pistol, thus denying the pistol's useful ability to shoot at stuff up in the sky. Plus, as Wartechers can't go past rank 10 bullet PAs, they'll only be shooting two cards at a time, which won't be accomplishing much. A Fortecher with their four cards at once could be a pretty impressive sight, but I fear that people will only ever laugh at a Wartecher making a serious effort to use a gun. Any gun, including the bow and cards, which are powerful weapons in the hands of a Fortecher.

Someone should probably check on the homing of the cards, then, see if they home upwards.

Itsuki
Dec 9, 2006, 08:07 AM
On 2006-12-09 04:57, Randomness wrote:

On 2006-12-08 22:05, Valatar wrote:

Someone should probably check on the homing of the cards, then, see if they home upwards.

They home upwards if you can get a lock on the monster. Thats the thing. If you get a lock, it will hit, no matter where the monster moves to after that.

Also, cards are only 3 bullets at 21+. And, you have to also consider their huge ATA. The 8 star kubara card has 323 ATA, the normal 8 star has 258 ATA. Compare this to a handgun that has 132 ATA.

Bows have a similar mod for ATA that makes them overall better than a hunter's ranged ability.

EJ
Dec 9, 2006, 08:08 AM
You also forgot to mention that wartecher techs are great for defense heavy enemies that you barely scratch them with melee attacks but can utterly kill them instead by teching them to death.

Gamemako
Dec 9, 2006, 02:57 PM
You also forgot something in the guns section:

Bows.

Also, don't forget the great tricks you can do by mixing skills and techniqes. Kick him across the room and toss a Diga out to finish him off while you deal with more relevent foes.

Fin
Dec 9, 2006, 04:51 PM
The homing ability of cards make it better than guns for me (flying/moving monsters? not a problem) except that I haven't figured out how to hit something charging at me yet and it seems that you have to walk up next to a box to hit it (no target). The status effects also seemed to go off fairly often as well for me, much more than handguns did. It seems that you can't use FPS view to aim though, and it won't home in on places like the dragon's head when it's in the sky, so it definitely doesn't hurt to carry a bow/gun alongside with it.

I'm the only wartecher in the circle of friends I level with frequently - and pretty much the only one that even sometimes plays force - so it actually works out quite well for all of us, 5 fortefighters/figunners and myself, lots of damage with me throwing out heals every so often (and since I'm in the middle of the crowd, less running). Only downside is that I get annoyed as hell when people get too lazy to pop antimates and just stand around waiting to be cured >.>

Cause_I_Own_U
Dec 10, 2006, 12:53 AM
Fuc S rank

There's no reason to categorize classes usefullness by S rank weapons, because S rank weapons are the rarest of the rare and will take half a million + really rare compenents JUST to have a 30% chance to make one!!!

So by what i mean is almost nobody will even have S rnaks except for the few people who play this game 24/7 and buy money off ebay a very small amount!!

So with that in mind id use claws instead of daggers because they pwn even tho ugh you only get A rank claws and S rank daggers

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 10, 2006, 01:01 AM
Well, for my Sranks, I plan on taking my FAVORITE weapons. The one I use most.

IceBurner
Dec 10, 2006, 01:51 AM
Let's not forget that the self-buffing Megistar is practically made for Wartechers (and maybe Guntechers). They're certainly the one class able to use it that really gets the most from all four buffs.

Shiro_Ryuu
Dec 10, 2006, 11:25 AM
On 2006-12-09 22:01, Sgt_Shligger wrote:
Well, for my Sranks, I plan on taking my FAVORITE weapons. The one I use most.

same here, if I could use ONE S rank weapon, then it would most likely be the one thats my favorite, the others can be A ranked if the prices go down or B rank if not.

huntlyon
Dec 11, 2006, 10:39 PM
so, if you're someone that actually enjoyed the FOmar class, this would be up your alley?

I'm a little behind, I just got online with this game after actually playing single player to get the new aspects down (well that and wait for all the new stuff to be implemented). My PSOX FOmar main got to 170 something before I just got bored with grinding.

BlessedRavenX
Dec 12, 2006, 11:28 AM
On 2006-12-11 19:39, huntlyon wrote:
so, if you're someone that actually enjoyed the FOmar class, this would be up your alley?

I'm a little behind, I just got online with this game after actually playing single player to get the new aspects down (well that and wait for all the new stuff to be implemented). My PSOX FOmar main got to 170 something before I just got bored with grinding.

If you enjoyed the FOmar class then you will DEFINITELY enjoy this class. Hell, The wartecher reminds me of the days of bustin' heads and takings names with Heinan(my PSOGC FOmar)

Also,

1)Wartecher's dont NEED PA's above lvl 20.

2)Any class that has access to offensive techs above lvl 10 and can fight well in melee is a benefit in itself.

3)Bows have high ATA and ATP, as well as ignore defense. Who cares about inflicting status effects when your dealing just as much damage(if not more) then your typical rifler?

4)S-ranks are rare and overatted. Not to mention that S-ranks Daggers/Twin Daggers is all ya need

To all wartechers out there, take this as words of wisdom.

JAFO22000
Dec 12, 2006, 11:41 AM
On 2006-12-09 22:51, IceBurner wrote:
Let's not forget that the self-buffing Megistar is practically made for Wartechers (and maybe Guntechers). They're certainly the one class able to use it that really gets the most from all four buffs.

This is very true...I'm a Fortetecher and am planning on skipping this spell altogether....but it's great for the WT's!!

panzer_unit
Dec 12, 2006, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I was disappointed to see that the third hit of my PA combos don't deal tons more damage than the first. On the other it's good news for Wartechers that a 3-hit PA combo is usually only 50% more damage than a 2-hit, instead of being more like double.

confucious
Dec 12, 2006, 02:15 PM
Something to consider between wartechers and fortechers: Wartechers have higher ATA and so will be able to use cards earlier than fortetechers. This won't matter so much in the long run, but you have to be able to get to the long run.

7* cards have a minimum ATA requirement of 115. I believe my level 1 wartecher is at 112 at level 48. So I should be able to use a card fairly soon - by level 50 with wartecher 2, I'd figure.

Of course, guntechers have even higher ATA than either.