PDA

View Full Version : PSO Wii Graphics

DoubleJG
Dec 13, 2006, 08:30 PM
I highly doubt this but has anyone here played PSO on the Wii? Is it 100% identical to Gamecube as far as visuals go? Does the text look any smoother? I know graphics become sharped when using an S-video Cable, which I do for my Gamecube, but I was just curious about the Wii and possibly graphic boosters.

trypticon
Dec 13, 2006, 11:42 PM
When I played it on the Wii for the first time, the graphics seemed a little grainy to me. I didn't remember them looking like that on the GC. After plugging it in again just now and testing it for this reply, I think they look great, and run very smoothly. The text in the bubbles is more clear when I do it on the Wii, although the text from NPCs in town is still a little blurry to me.

Now if I could just get online with it on the Wii...

dragoon-girl
Dec 14, 2006, 07:09 PM
They've bought out a wii version?
Or do you mean just putting the gamecube version in the wii?

OnnaWren
Dec 14, 2006, 07:22 PM
Gamecube version being backward compatible with the Wii. But! Are the graphics on the Wii favorably comparable to GC prog-scan?

DoubleJG
Dec 14, 2006, 11:23 PM
On 2006-12-13 20:42, trypticon wrote:
When I played it on the Wii for the first time, the graphics seemed a little grainy to me. I didn't remember them looking like that on the GC. After plugging it in again just now and testing it for this reply, I think they look great, and run very smoothly. The text in the bubbles is more clear when I do it on the Wii, although the text from NPCs in town is still a little blurry to me.

Glad to hear it. Sounds like an S-video cable text style built into it already. What type of TV are you playing on? Just a regular type of TV? Sounds a bit odd when the item text becomes clearer yet the NPC text becomes slightly blurrier. Meh, I'd rather have a clearer item text anyday over NPC.

Did Episode 2 (CCA) look nice and crisp? That is definately THE level to observe when it comes to crispy-ness http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Drakorn
Dec 15, 2006, 05:04 AM
I am not sure about this, but once i get a nintendo wii after christmas i will tell you if its good enough on Wii

Kazzi
Dec 15, 2006, 09:50 AM
I played PSO on the Wii. It seemed the same to me on a 60hz setting, just a little outdated.

trypticon
Dec 15, 2006, 01:07 PM
On 2006-12-14 20:23, DoubleJG3288 wrote:

Glad to hear it. Sounds like an S-video cable text style built into it already. What type of TV are you playing on? Just a regular type of TV? Sounds a bit odd when the item text becomes clearer yet the NPC text becomes slightly blurrier. Meh, I'd rather have a clearer item text anyday over NPC.

Did Episode 2 (CCA) look nice and crisp? That is definately THE level to observe when it comes to crispy-ness http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I'm playing on a regular TV, no special cables involved. When I wrote the text in the bubbles is more clear, I meant that when my character talks, I can read it easier than I was able to on the GC.

I didn't go into episode 2 with it. I can do that right now.

Ok, after that small excursion of the CCA areas, I can report with confidence that it seems like the graphics are sharper and more clear than they were while playing on the GC.

The clarity is noticeable particularly in the watery areas of the jungle, as well as with the leaves of the plants there.

This probably has nothing to do with the graphics, but in the Seaside area, I noticed for the first time today, a small lobster, or mantis looking thing walking over the beach and into the bushes. I'm sure I would have seen that before, but I had never noticed it up until now. I noticed for the first time the vines hanging from the canopies in all areas of the CCA.

The mountain area looks fine, the rocks and bushes increased in clarity some, I suppose. The scenery in the background looked great, but it always did to me.

Then we get to the front door of the CCA. For the first time, I noticed the details of the door. Before today, I had always thought of the door to be a flat metal siding type of deal. With the increased clarity, I was able to see the texture on the door which makes it look more like a concrete blockade.

On my way up through the CCA door to the Gryphon, I stopped and took a look over the side of the CCA wall. The water coming off the waterfall was perhaps more clear than it had been before. It wasn't something I'd really paid much attention to in my... over three thousand hours of playing PSO... yeah... wow, that's sad.

Anyway, I remember reading somewhere before the Wii was released, that the graphic capabilities of it would be much like that of the Xbox (note, NOT the Xbox 360). Previous writings here on PSOworld stated that PSO on the Xbox was a lot more clear than it was on the GC, so I'm guessing that what I'm seeing on the Wii with it is what I was missing on the GC, and what Xbox users had already been seeing for the past few years.

All in all, it looks better than it did before. Now if ONLY it would support some fricking online play, it would be the best PSO experience I've ever had visually.

Natasha_M
Dec 20, 2006, 05:50 PM
Ahh the graphics have you not seen the various game editors scores for PSU graphics??
To be honest they have been fair.

Heh if PSO GC EP 2 isn't good enough then what do yous think of PSU then??? especailly on PS2, i have both and i have to say the quality went downhill if i was to jump from PSO to PSU. Loading times x10, poor graphics filtering and well theres more seabed lag in PSU PS2 then PSO GC. Weapon swap is hell on PSU compared to PSO GC which was instant. Shadows is just a round ball on PSU, on GC it was realistic shadowing even on the surface of the rippling water in EP2. PSO on Wii would have no upgrade cause well it was made for GC, however if you look at Zelda on Wii and how beautiful it is with almost no loading time when they put you in a world that is 5 times the maps of PSU missions, you can't help but think why the hell did sega go backwards and create PSU on hardware thats older than GC??? GC which had twice the full rendered polygon count than what PS2 could put out.

If it wasn't for the addictive gameplay of PSU i wouldn't of even bothered another subscript of GL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Natasha_M on 2006-12-20 14:52 ]</font>

DoubleJG
Dec 20, 2006, 08:06 PM
On 2006-12-15 10:07, trypticon wrote:

On 2006-12-14 20:23, DoubleJG3288 wrote:

I'm playing on a regular TV, no special cables involved. When I wrote the text in the bubbles is more clear, I meant that when my character talks, I can read it easier than I was able to on the GC.

I didn't go into episode 2 with it. I can do that right now.

Ok, after that small excursion of the CCA areas, I can report with confidence that it seems like the graphics are sharper and more clear than they were while playing on the GC.

The clarity is noticeable particularly in the watery areas of the jungle, as well as with the leaves of the plants there.

This probably has nothing to do with the graphics, but in the Seaside area, I noticed for the first time today, a small lobster, or mantis looking thing walking over the beach and into the bushes. I'm sure I would have seen that before, but I had never noticed it up until now. I noticed for the first time the vines hanging from the canopies in all areas of the CCA.

The mountain area looks fine, the rocks and bushes increased in clarity some, I suppose. The scenery in the background looked great, but it always did to me.

Then we get to the front door of the CCA. For the first time, I noticed the details of the door. Before today, I had always thought of the door to be a flat metal siding type of deal. With the increased clarity, I was able to see the texture on the door which makes it look more like a concrete blockade.

On my way up through the CCA door to the Gryphon, I stopped and took a look over the side of the CCA wall. The water coming off the waterfall was perhaps more clear than it had been before. It wasn't something I'd really paid much attention to in my... over three thousand hours of playing PSO... yeah... wow, that's sad.

Anyway, I remember reading somewhere before the Wii was released, that the graphic capabilities of it would be much like that of the Xbox (note, NOT the Xbox 360). Previous writings here on PSOworld stated that PSO on the Xbox was a lot more clear than it was on the GC, so I'm guessing that what I'm seeing on the Wii with it is what I was missing on the GC, and what Xbox users had already been seeing for the past few years.

All in all, it looks better than it did before. Now if ONLY it would support some fricking online play, it would be the best PSO experience I've ever had visually.

Thanks for the indepth feedback. I used to have PSOX and it did seem a bit cleared in nearly every aspect, including Booma texture. Good to know PSOGC will now have that soon enough once I get my Wii down the line.

trypticon
Dec 20, 2006, 11:20 PM
No problem, DoubleJG, I'm happy to be of some help.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trypticon on 2006-12-20 20:21 ]</font>

Tweengo
Dec 22, 2006, 11:23 AM
It pains me to write this, but my YOUNGER brother bought a Wii with money from his temp warehouse job (I used caps for younger as I find it embarrassing 'cause I applied for the same job and didn't get it, even though I had a previous job from which I was made redundant....after 3 months http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ). I wanted that job and money to buy a Wii.
Rant out of the way, I'm glad to say that yes, the quality in the graphics of PSO is slightly improved as they are much sharper, and the writing clearer, and everything's generally a little more shinier, clearer or brighter.

JonReLo
Jan 14, 2007, 07:25 PM
When i first played PSO on Wii, the very first thing i noticed was the clarity of the words in menu's/speech were greatly improved. As soon as i saw this i thought it was just because i had not played PSO in a while, so i switched to my GC and sure enough, there was a definite difference. I havn't tried any other games, but i assume the Wii will sharpen up other games too. I'm glad i found this topic as i havn't seen this issue mentioned anywhere else and can now prove to my friends that i'm NOT crazy. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Drakorn
Jan 15, 2007, 04:47 AM
On 2006-12-15 02:04, Drakorn wrote:
I am not sure about this, but once i get a nintendo wii after christmas i will tell you if its good enough on Wii

Now that i got the Nintendo Wii, it seems very good on the Wii then the gamecube

T0m
Jan 15, 2007, 02:29 PM
Instead of locking this topic, and handing out warnings for bumping, I'll just say that PSO looks worse on the Wii for me.
Which is unsurprising, because for the time being, I have to use a composite cable for my Wii. And my Gamecube is properly connected with a RGB cable.

DoubleJG
Jan 15, 2007, 07:42 PM
T0m! You no longer have that cool potato looking avatar http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Ah I can only imagine how clear PSO must've looked with RGB cables... I currently play on an S-video for my Gamecube but I plan on purchasing an S-video for my wii once I get it as well. I'm hoping the GC S-video clarity is atleast the same looking once it's on composite Wii cables.

*This post isn't a bump since it's already up there, just thought I'd make a quick response before it floats back down to the pits of the slowly dying PSO threads http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DoubleJG3288 on 2007-01-15 16:42 ]</font>