PDA

View Full Version : any one else losing friends b/c of s-rank??

Agne
Dec 16, 2006, 08:55 PM
Well i don't know how to start this post so i'll use this technique followed by this one...

I've been playing pso since launch and psu being no exception. Well, when psu first launched, my job responsibilites were not so heavy. I could basically play 8-10 a day hrs easily and still work and sleep. Well since then i went from manager to gm'ing the store that i work at and now have little free time. It just so happened that i got my gm promotion 2 days before s rank came out.. so i'm still a lower lvl with everyone getting further away the less i'm able to play b/c of responsibilities. Now i understand that i obviously can't tell my friends to stop playing, but i would think that they would be happy over my recent moving up in life and help me out when i am actually able to get on to get some levels quickly... wrong. most won't play with me b/c i could ruin the s rank mission. that's even if they return my message at all. i've had some close friends in the community and it just seems odd that ppl would leave friends just over some missions.

O well that's just my whine.....

Careful
Dec 16, 2006, 08:57 PM
And how does that make you feel?

BloodDragoon
Dec 16, 2006, 09:05 PM
Decrease in playtime due to RL responsibilities tends to show you who your real friends are in a game IMO. I've had the same things happen quite often in FFXI. Personally if they care for a game so much they'll alienate someone just because they can't play as often then to hell with them. I'd rather have a 6 digit annual income than be some uber pimped out guy on an online video game.

Silenced
Dec 16, 2006, 09:17 PM
Although I haven't played PSU (yet, gonna start pretty soon), I've played games similar to it, and I've got to say that generally most people play the game to "win" as some would put it, rather than for the freinds. If they want friends, they'll find them irl.

The problem really is that there aren't any challenges you can't really overcome with random people you don't know that well but have good gear / stats / whatever.
Games like World of Warcraft are different because you need to be able to get 40 people together constantly to get anything done in Player vs Entity situations in the endgame (all of PSU is PvE from what I understand). Because of this you gotta form a guild, and then you get friends you tend to interact with not just for the sake of missions. (TeamSpeak / Ventrilo also helps with this, I'm not sure if ur on Xbox 360 or PC/PS2).

PSU is just that kind of game... people won't stick with you or spend time on you... especially since unlike the Wow endgame, from what I understand there's always something out there to grind in PSU. In Wow on the other hand, I at least found I had tons of free time at the level cap, and if a friend of mine created a low level character, I'd easily have enough free time to help him out. PSU gives me the impression there's always something you can do that could vastly improve you. Wow had the honor and rep grinds... but it wasn't the main reason to play the game (raiding was, generally), so you always had time to help people. Also, in weaker guilds, you could often bring along people in crappy gear. So again, it wasn't hard to be inclusive to people who fell behind.

PSU is just different. Find friends irl, play PSU for the rewards / gameplay, would be my solution at least.

Agne
Dec 16, 2006, 09:19 PM
true blood. And careful i feel http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif lol. j/k

BloodDragoon
Dec 16, 2006, 09:25 PM
Nah you can make real friends through online games including PSU. The issue here is finding out if the people you've befriended value you as a friend or just value what your character can do for them.

McLaughlin
Dec 16, 2006, 09:36 PM
In FFXI, I left for my cottage for a week and everyone in my LS thought I was dead O_o

None of them would speak to me when I got back, so I solo'd to 75 from 67 as a RDM/NIN >_>

Doing PLD was easier, until I wanted my AF2 gear (which looks ****ing amazing). No one wanted a PLD for Dynamis T_T

I quit in September, so my character is gone forever...I still really want my PLD AF2 >_<

DummieAcount
Dec 16, 2006, 09:37 PM
On 2006-12-16 17:57, Careful wrote:

Too be honest with you diane, I'm surprised.

Chris28
Dec 16, 2006, 09:38 PM
On 2006-12-16 17:57, Careful wrote:

is this Dr. Phil posting on here?

Agne
Dec 16, 2006, 09:38 PM
and for silenced. i have friends irl; i play for the rewards/gameplay, and FRIENDS. i am playing an online game to meet other ppl. otherwise i would just play extra mode all day long and get the rewards/gameplay faster and easier. my girlfriend has found and successfully synth'd the twin fluo. bulb off line. Not one person online has that. As well as numerous other rare items of all types.

the basic point of the topic wasn't asking for help, i was asking if any one else was losing friends. and also to point out something that ppl may not even realize they are doing: getting lost in the grind and losing sight of the community idealogy of an online game.

**picks up my e-tar and starts playing some 70's brotherhood/protest song**

come on ppl now, invite your brother.
everybody get together now.
we can do runs together
right now.

BloodDragoon
Dec 16, 2006, 09:47 PM
On 2006-12-16 18:36, Zeta wrote:
In FFXI, I left for my cottage for a week and everyone in my LS thought I was dead O_o

None of them would speak to me when I got back, so I solo'd to 75 from 67 as a RDM/NIN >_>

Doing PLD was easier, until I wanted my AF2 gear (which looks ****ing amazing). No one wanted a PLD for Dynamis T_T

I quit in September, so my character is gone forever...I still really want my PLD AF2 >_<

Heh, I know how that goes. Most prominent in end game shells. Currently I have DRK, BLU, and WAR at 75 with every other job 40+, an extremely large amount of knowledge about HNM's and Dynamis, while also being an expert tactician for large battles. Yet they seem to think you aren't "good" if you don't play 18 hours a day... >.>

Also PLD AF2 may be nice looking but I like that Kaiser set better thats on my mannequinn right now >:3 (Bite me PLD's I synthed all those -1's I'm keepin em. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

DonRoyale
Dec 16, 2006, 11:32 PM
I sorta agree, because

A) I don't have access to a computer for about 60% of the week
B) Even when I have that access, I have more interest in job EXP and money than EXP

However, I'm not losing friends. Alternates? o.O

Mystil
Dec 17, 2006, 12:31 PM
On 2006-12-16 18:05, BloodDragoon wrote:
Decrease in playtime due to RL responsibilities tends to show you who your real friends are in a game IMO. I've had the same things happen quite often in FFXI. Personally if they care for a game so much they'll alienate someone just because they can't play as often then to hell with them. I'd rather have a 6 digit annual income than be some uber pimped out guy on an online video game.

I hate the FFXI community....hate them all. When my friends got to endgame they just ugh... ignored tells, no "hellos" no anything. FUCK FFXI... I really hate those people, I don't care for them at all. I will never go back to FFXI.

And I WONT get mad at my friends in PSU over some damn rank. I can't say that they wont if I mess up. But really.. The meaning of friendship should be taking more seriously.

lavosmanx
Dec 18, 2006, 12:40 PM
To be hoenst that sucks, I know how that must feel. Just find some new friends, I'd try universe 15 or 17 for friendly people. That way you won't worry about it as much. Just blacklist the traitors when you see them and go on.