PDA

View Full Version : Christmas help

washuguy
Dec 16, 2006, 10:10 PM
Okay, so there's this girl i like. I'm going shopping for her tommorrow, but i don't know what to get her. I have an idea, but i think it's to plain. So i'm asking you guys what you think is/are (a) good present(s) to buy for her.Note; I have about $200.00 to work with.

Oh i forgot, i'm mailing this thing to her too, so nothing like a plasma screen tv...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: washuguy on 2006-12-16 19:11 ]</font>

Wyndham
Dec 16, 2006, 10:12 PM
get a fancy chocolate bar, a book, some neat cds, a nifty tshirt, and a gift card to some place she shops at.

washuguy
Dec 16, 2006, 10:17 PM
I knew this would work! See, I didn't even think of a gift card. Thanks!

medusae
Dec 16, 2006, 11:14 PM
massage certificate! that's what I always want and never get. if you have a massage school around, you can get one for around $35.

ABDUR101
Dec 16, 2006, 11:31 PM
Why don't you tell us what you WERE going to get her, then we can tell you if it was a bad idea or not?

One thing, don't EVER buy someone something unless you know them well enough to KNOW they'll like or appreciate what you're getting them, not to mention so you don't get them something they already have, or might not have a use for. (i.e. a giftcard to a store she doesn't like, an item she already has, etc).

Leviathan
Dec 16, 2006, 11:32 PM
a music giftcard.

EVERYONE loves music.

washuguy
Dec 16, 2006, 11:36 PM
She told me where she likes to shop Rave and Hollister. And she works near Rave so chances are she will be able to use it before the time runs out. WELL... I was going to get her something from the Bath and body works/ Bed bath and beyond, and a nice pair of pjs. But i think i can do better than that.

DizzyDi
Dec 16, 2006, 11:44 PM
Bath and Body/Bed Bath and Beyond are always good choices...But if you like her and are trying to impress her a shower gel basket isn't really the way to go.
If you have enough money I think a build a bear is a good way to go, spray some perfume on it, give her a nice card maybe with a personalized note and you're good to go.

washuguy
Dec 16, 2006, 11:45 PM
On 2006-12-16 20:44, DizzyDi wrote:
Bath and Body/Bed Bath and Beyond are always good choices...But if you like her and are trying to impress her a shower gel basket isn't really the way to go.
If you have enough money I think a build a bear is a good way to go, spray some perfume on it, give her a nice card maybe with a personalized note and you're good to go.

Hmmm... I like it!

ABDUR101
Dec 16, 2006, 11:53 PM
It's abit of a toss up. Is she practical? She might have more use of a giftcard to a store she likes to shop at, than a stuffed bear. Depends on the person though. I mean, if I got a bear from some random person, I would'nt really care, but if someone I know made me a bear and put their own touch into it, then that bear would be identified with that person. Otherwise, the giftcard is a nicer and more usable gift.

Firocket1690
Dec 17, 2006, 12:05 AM
Might just be me, but Buildabear seems so.. overused and overrated. >_>;
I'm not saying they're bad or anything, but everybody in (my) school has one. The nature of buildabear is to build the damn thing. If you get a chance, physically take her to a workshop, and decide on the stuff together. I know they have a hell of accessories in every flavor.

Amount of money to be spent on said person is always directly proportional to how long/well you've known them.

Ironically, I'm an audiophile, so most of my gifts are usually just a cd or two and a reeeeelly long letter/card, so rawr. Dx

ABDUR101
Dec 17, 2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah, the build-a-bear, thats just silly unless you really know the person and can make a bear to an aspect of their personality. As well, when you know someone well enough and make them something personalized, it adds a flare to the gift. Otherwise it's just a bear that some random person threw together.

As well, giftcards are nice. Though some people see them as "generic" gifts. "Not much thought", etc. However, the key is getting a giftcard for someone to the right place. Me having a giftcard to a restaurant is pointless, I don't go out to eat often enough to make use of it. Getting me a giftcard to an online store that has items I purchase, cha-ching!

Effectively, don't jump at something to get just because it has a nice price-tag. Having $200 to spend is nice, but if I got $200 worth of stuff from someone I did'nt know all that well, it would just be a tad weird and I'd feel guilty. Whereas, $10 from a well-known friend(or otherwise) put into a well-thought out gift(or giftcard) is great.

Moo2u
Dec 17, 2006, 12:25 AM
It really depends on the girl, but it's always nice to add a personal touch. Something that really wouldn't coast much and would remind her of you two.
Something to personalize a gift remains a gift that's remembered. Think creativly for whatever you end up getting.

Kent
Dec 17, 2006, 01:46 AM
Gift cards are totally the absolute most personal thing you can ever get someone. Stocking-stuffer material, at best.

Make it something she'll keep with her or use often. Something with which she will remember who gave it to her, every time she uses/sees it.

Solstis
Dec 17, 2006, 01:53 AM
Get her some soap from Bath and Body Works. That stuff is pretty cheap, and some of them smell really nice!

(One kind has glitter, the kind that all micro-abrasioney)

astuarlen
Dec 17, 2006, 02:01 AM
Maybe it's just me, but smelly soap/candles/goo is totally overrated, boring, and risky--risky because some people are very particular about scents, and you don't want to get her something she'll never use because it offends her nose.

Personally, I like practical gifts. Knick-knacks, flowers, bears... meh. Something wearable or edible could be nice, because it can be used and enjoyed.

Of course, everyone's preferences are different, and I can't speak for all the ladies. Ask geewj.

Kent
Dec 17, 2006, 02:11 AM
Scented stuff from specialty stores...

Skip it. Is she a coffeeholic? Get her some caffeine-related goods from ThinkGeek, then. Nothing quite beats caffinated soap.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 17, 2006, 02:14 AM
Does the girl already know you like her?

Don't go spending all your money on something, then suddenly confront the person with such a gift.

We've all had a story about that having received/friend that did that, it didn't work out how he planned and you continue to make fun of him to this day because of it, etc.

Doing something like that puts unnecessary expectations into the mix, and perhaps a mad rush to find the reciept to see if you can return said item.

But if you already have been talking or what not, ask her what she wants, or might need.

Either that, or put your face on a t-shirt with a big goofy grin and mail one of those! <- The former please, no crazy t-shirts. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Firocket1690
Dec 17, 2006, 11:42 AM
On 2006-12-16 22:46, Kent wrote:
Gift cards are totally the absolute most personal thing you can ever get someone. Stocking-stuffer material, at best.

Bullshit. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

On 2006-12-16 23:14, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

Either that, or put your face on a t-shirt with a big goofy grin and mail one of those! <- The former please, no crazy t-shirts. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Firocket1690/love_hate_shirt.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

washuguy
Dec 17, 2006, 11:44 AM
On 2006-12-17 08:42, Firocket1690 wrote:

On 2006-12-16 22:46, Kent wrote:

Bullshit. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

On 2006-12-16 23:14, HAYABUSA-FMW- wrote:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/Firocket1690/love_hate_shirt.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

You're crazy...

UnderscoreX
Dec 17, 2006, 10:08 PM
Say you wanted to get her the most beautiful thing in the world, then give her a mirror....with my picture taped on it. Not so sure if it will help, but it will be an adventure.

washuguy
Dec 17, 2006, 10:10 PM
Aren't you a character...

Arcturus
Dec 18, 2006, 12:11 AM
Buy an iPod shuffle (or something similar) and load it with your (as in you and her together) favorite songs.

Moo2u
Dec 18, 2006, 12:26 AM
On 2006-12-17 21:11, Arcturus wrote:
Buy an iPod shuffle (or something similar) and load it with your (as in you and her together) favorite songs.

That's actually a pretty cool idea.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 18, 2006, 01:57 AM
On 2006-12-17 21:26, Moo2u wrote:

The best friend love mixtape of 2006!

No more cassette tapes for the kids!

geewj
Dec 18, 2006, 06:38 AM
No offense, but consumer toys and giftcards are about as cold and unfeeling as a gift can get. Ipods, cellphones, and shoes that light up are neat and all. But none of them really represent anything other than $$$.

I always enjoy giving, and recieving, a thoughtful gift much more than the latest and greatest thingy. Try making something. Or depending on how well you know her you'd be suprised how perfect a gift can be found at thrift stores. Don't knock it just because it's under $10.

Creative, unexpected, thoughtful = make-out sessions

washuguy
Dec 18, 2006, 02:59 PM
On 2006-12-18 03:38, geewj wrote:
No offense, but consumer toys and giftcards are about as cold and unfeeling as a gift can get. Ipods, cellphones, and shoes that light up are neat and all. But none of them really represent anything other than $$$.

I always enjoy giving, and recieving, a thoughtful gift much more than the latest and greatest thingy. Try making something. Or depending on how well you know her you'd be suprised how perfect a gift can be found at thrift stores. Don't knock it just because it's under $10.

I like your math!

washuguy
Dec 18, 2006, 02:59 PM
On 2006-12-17 21:26, Moo2u wrote:

I think that's pretty cool too.

Moo2u
Dec 18, 2006, 05:02 PM

Thaaaaaaaaaat's Dizzy!

Drakorn
Dec 18, 2006, 05:27 PM
Erm just buy her clothes, most girls love clothes, if you doesnt like them then you can always exchange them and take her with you.

DizzyDi
Dec 18, 2006, 05:29 PM
On 2006-12-18 14:02, Moo2u wrote:

Thaaaaaaaaaat's Dizzy!

Definately.

Moo2u
Dec 18, 2006, 07:14 PM
If you want to know what teen girls want, look no futhur (http://www.homestarrunner.com/tgs6.html).

washuguy
Dec 18, 2006, 08:09 PM
THat was retarded!!!