PDA

View Full Version : Knowing what you're getting for Christmas...

Scrub
Dec 19, 2006, 05:14 PM
...really is horrible.

I was never a kid who hunted for his christmas presents, or sneaked peeks, or stole them, or anything like that. I always loved the feeling of waking up in the morning, getting up my grandparents, and finding out what I get under the tree. The surprise of the stuff was the best part, not waiting to be able to open the sweet gifts that lay under the thin wrapping paper.

Well, this year I'm 18, and apparently I'm too old for that kind of stuff anymore. On the way back from a friend's house, my grandmother said we'll stop by Wal-Mart, and I can pick up a few games, so she doesnt have to do christmas shopping or anything like that. I agreed, trying to think of what games to get.

Worst goddamn decision.

I now have to put up with THIS staring me in the face everytime I walk by the room:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/GreyPhantasm/ogodogodogodogodogod.jpg

Having to see these things just sitting out there is driving me insane, for the simple fact that I REALLY want to play all 3 of them. There's also the fact that Christmas is kind of ruined now, since I know what's going to be sitting under the tree.

So I ask of you, PSOW, do you have or have you ever had a similar situation?

Sagasu
Dec 19, 2006, 05:21 PM
Its been this way during the holidays ever since I was little(er). D:

Aisha_Clan-Clan
Dec 19, 2006, 05:28 PM
I know I am getting Psu, but there are other presents I don't know what they are.

Sinue_v2
Dec 19, 2006, 05:38 PM
I honestly don't care what I'm getting. Hopefully nothing, because I don't have much cash to spend on anyone else. I don't want to open a bunch of gifts on Christmas morning and only have IOU's to give in return.

Anyhow - when I was like 10 I got a game called Dragon Wars for Christmas. I knew it was a game because I could hear the disks shaking around inside the box. I ended up snagging it, opening it, installing it, and playing it in secret for two weeks before re-wrapping it and placing it back under the tree.

Roy-Mustang
Dec 19, 2006, 10:43 PM
Right now I have to say...............ou bad feelings are returning... Right now i have 22 years old and also pass the time "hey you are too old for this", also, I'm only son so can you believe i'm the younger on my family!! Yeah four years ago there are not wrapped gifts under christmas tree... jejeje those beautiful times. Anyway, right now, if I want a gift, I have to buy it, with my next paycheck I will buy a 360 and PSU. It's good the feeling buying stuff by yourself, you take care of them a lot more.

Leviathan
Dec 19, 2006, 11:38 PM
my brothers christmas present to me fell one me once &ruined the surprise.

not my fault he asked me to get his transformers &he put them on the the top shelf so when i grabbed for the Ratrap a bag fell on my head &there went my surprise. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

you should wrap up the present in 5 layers of wrapping paper. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Arcturus
Dec 19, 2006, 11:43 PM
I know what I'm getting, and am excited to get it. I'll finally have a digicam of my own, and a really nice one at that...

UnderscoreX
Dec 19, 2006, 11:49 PM
Just take them and play them.

Wyndham
Dec 20, 2006, 12:27 PM
I never want to know what I'm getting. truth be told, I'm still just a kid, goofing around, watching cartoons, and collecting Megaman figures. and I'm 18.

Kizaragu
Dec 21, 2006, 02:32 PM
Hell, my mother gave me the mony for my presents and told me to go nuts and give her everything I bought with her vouchers. No shopping trip for me. :(

What's worse is, It's 4 days till christmas, I still have over half of them left and there's nothing I want.
I'm buying my own gifts to an extent. No suprises and no nice day out.

Stupid Adulthood. All the fun of Christmas has gone.

roygbiv
Dec 21, 2006, 03:18 PM
yeah... in the past i could never really figure out what i wanted for christmas... now i just uh... well let's say I am holding out for socks and a sweater this christmas.

Drakorn
Dec 21, 2006, 03:58 PM
Well i know what 1 present im getting which is an IPOD Nano, other than that i dont know what else im getting.

Firocket1690
Dec 21, 2006, 04:35 PM
Sure.

I bought myself 30some cds, and Yoshi's Island DS. I spoiled myself this Christmas http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Buying stuff for yourself takes the fun out of it. ;/

ABDUR101
Dec 21, 2006, 07:49 PM
I can remember, I was always dogging on my mom when she'd buy me stuff for christmas. I was never good at pointing out things I wanted, because I knew we were never really steady with money, or rather mom wasn't, being a private duty nurse. Dad never really put much effort into holidays when it came to spending money, so it was always on mom's shoulders, but she ALWAYS pulled through for us kids.

When the Dreamcast came out, I remember really just outright saying "If anything, thats what I want, and if I can't get that, I just want money that would be spent on lesser gifts, to be saved to eventually buy a Dreamcast." So eventually mom breaks the news that she WAS able to get me the DC, hell I've always been a sneak when it comes to presents, I've always been able to sniff them out, over-hear Mom talking about what she got me, etc. So when the DC was bought, it was just kept in it's plastic bag and kept in the living room under the tree. Self-control gave out one night and I eventually went downstairs, opened it up and began playing it and the demo CD's. This went on for afew nights, and by the I did'nt care if I got caught. What was going to happen, the DC be taken away for afew days? Oh noes!

So I'm sitting there playing one night at 2am, and mom gets up to use the restroom. She walks down the steps, see's me playing and starts laughing. Walks over and we start talking about how good the graphics are, the demo's, what all it can do, etc. She stayed up about an hour watching intently as I played, then she went to sleep.

However, the ONE christmas that I was totally caught off guard. I had wanted a SNES, I'd have sold my soul, or even bludgeoned a man on a street corner for it. I had to have one. But as always, money was tight, and consoles are never cheap. Mom kept saying somberly, that she just isn't sure she could do that this year, as much as she wanted to, and she wanted to be honest so I would'nt be upset on Christmas morning. I understood, can't make something appear right?

So I get up, it's a blizzard that year, I think we had two foot of snow and a nice crusty layer of ice on-top of that. I get up, go through all my gimpy gifts of socks, shirts, afew haphazard toys that mom knew I'd like. And then "Did you get atleast most of what you asked for?", "Yeah, I guess." More salt on my wound woman! You know what you say!

Then I get a big present laid infront of me, the box-shape, which I so intently know from staring at it from behind locked glass. I rip the paper, grinning the entire time. Sure enough, it was the SNES! Oh but wait, no game?! A sister chimes in "You'll have to wait till after christmas and this blizzard to really play it, we can't get out with all this snow.." Damn! My heart sank, more salt was rubbed into my gaping wound...and then, Contra and Super Mario Kart, rentals before christmas, were plunked infront of me and everyone else got a chuckle.

Best. Christmas. Ever.

Though, thats when I was younger. Being 23, I don't so much even like people buying me gifts unless it's a mutual offering, and most often I don't know what to get someone else, nor know who is buying me what, so I just tell everyone not to get me anything and I'll do the same. Obviously christmas is about giving and not receiving, and thats a double-door. If I can't give, I don't WANT to receive. As well, there are things that if I want, I'll buy, so unless someone intends to outright ask me what I want, I don't like people buying what they 'think' I want unless it's a general purpose item.(I love getting slippers, sweaters, jackets, blankets, and so on, I can always use them, and most often than not they won't be 'out of place' like if someone were to buy a gift like a game or something that I wasn't interested in.)

I'm not all that keen on making people wait for their gifts though. If I have something that someone can use, I'd prefer to give it to them as soon as possible. It's nice to surprise someone on Christmas, but seeing someone's face light up is just a good a gift given at any time of year. Though I wonder, why do we get so excited about it at Christmas, than any other time of year? You'd think a gift in the middle of summer would warrant bigger surprise than a gift on Christmas day, yeah?

tank1
Dec 22, 2006, 03:18 PM
I just found half my xmas present by mistake half an hour ago why did my family put the presents down the side of the sofa?

Out_Kast
Dec 22, 2006, 03:53 PM
I buy my own christmas presents http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
I try and forget. But it never works.
Shame.

Eihwaz
Dec 23, 2006, 03:03 AM
I'm picky about little things being wrong. So, it helps to make sure I know exactly what I'm getting. >_>;

Oh, and Elite Beat Agents is the best god damn rhythm game I have ever played. Completely and totally awesome. I cannot wait to unlock the last hidden stage and the last difficulty level ("Elite Beat Divas are GO!")...