PDA

View Full Version : Urgent news PS2/PC : Hackers posing as you

Dj_SkyEpic
Dec 20, 2006, 03:52 AM
Dear psow members,

Recently one of my friend has found a 10* Halarod board. This is the only good news.

Now he is recieving messages from hackers posing with my name and trying to slip out the password to his room.

This is a big threat since, now I know, they can steal your name to try and fool your friends.

I recommend everyone make sure when you recieve mails, do NOT hit reply, but compose your mail and select your recipients if you are giving out fragile information.

Today, this certain hacker was mailing my friend, pretending to be me. He even knew the type of people I was partying with and how they talked. One of his message was for right when I was finished doing a run... "I'm with _____ right now. were done with onma S"

They even tried to pose as Remedy. So please, make sure whatever information you give, do becareful. I've warned you once about the room hacks, now I'm warning you of identity theft.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dj_SkyEpic on 2006-12-20 02:03 ]</font>

Careful
Dec 20, 2006, 04:24 AM
Wow someone must have a very boring life. Getting to creepy...

Remedy
Dec 20, 2006, 04:27 AM
Yep, got a nasty message from Ruby today demanding to know why I was going around defaming jeM today.

Except, you know, I was at work from noon to midnight. Oops? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Ffuzzy-Logik
Dec 20, 2006, 04:33 AM
lol, jeM drama.

AnamanaAU
Dec 20, 2006, 04:37 AM
I've already cancelled my sub, I'm not paying 10 bux a month to have this shit happen to me. :

PaladinRPG
Dec 20, 2006, 04:59 AM
wtf, now its identity theft and slander? This is getting downright criminal. I can't believe the lengths people are going to to try to ruin you two... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaladinRPG on 2006-12-20 02:02 ]</font>

ViciousXUSMC
Dec 20, 2006, 05:02 AM
so the us version is called halarod?

figured it was hararod.

Remedy
Dec 20, 2006, 05:07 AM
Meh, it's unsurprising. The community just hates me and DJ, for some reason - at least I'm partially guilty for the way I've been treated, I don't know why they hate him.

I don't do much in public anymore, it's pointless. Games are much better with my little circle of friends and jeM members. Besides, you don't find many 50/3 Cast Fortechers outside of my group of friends, and he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever find. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Shimarisu-
Dec 20, 2006, 05:10 AM
I'll bet you this is not hackers, anyone can make a char with your name ans mail your friends pretending to be you, hell for the past month I've been wary of answerin mails with private info.

Dj_SkyEpic
Dec 20, 2006, 05:14 AM
*Begins to fold paper cranes...

I'm surrounded with friends that are being hacked left and right. I was even informed of my picture and even Tomeeboy's hack picture being posted in tmg's webpage.

I've only been with a few friends grinding the same place over and over. I wouldnt mail anyone for room password or anything, only if I were to be face to face.

On 2006-12-20 02:10, -Shimarisu- wrote:
I'll bet you this is not hackers, anyone can make a char with your name ans mail your friends pretending to be you, hell for the past month I've been wary of answerin mails with private info.

That's true. But in order to mail a person you must have either met the person, or have their card. And if they were to have recreated a character with a person's name on it, they would have to meet their victim once again or have their card.

This hacker did not have either goals met. My friend mailed me saying... "Did you just mail me for my room pass?".The thing is. I was in a group all that time and have not mailing anyone. My friend was in his room for the longest time trying to synth the weapon they have found.

It was the same thing when "steal your heart baby" mailed me the other day. I did not have his/her/it's card but he was able to have mine and sent a mail.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dj_SkyEpic on 2006-12-20 02:20 ]</font>

Remedy
Dec 20, 2006, 05:16 AM
*joins in the folding*

So like, if we both are wishing for hackers to be slaughtered mercilessly by rabid Bel Pannons, can we combine our cranes and only make 500 each?

-Shimarisu-
Dec 20, 2006, 05:18 AM
I haven't been hacked at all, nor have any of my friends, the reason I quit for 360 was over hacked meseta which I consider to be far, FAR worse.

I take most claims of being hacked with a pinch of salt. I'd also take my PM resetting to zero once a week over the economy being ruined, as it now is.

PaladinRPG
Dec 20, 2006, 05:22 AM
Hmm, what is jeM?

And I have noticed you always in Demons Above S. Is that where a lot of drama happens in general? Only time I went so far it was a hell of a ride, with people in my group screwing up mission S-rank repeatedly and getting flamed bigtime. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Remedy
Dec 20, 2006, 05:24 AM
Wow, total dyslexic moment. Post totally edited.

No, I wouldn't say that a lot of drama emerges at DA-S. Frankly, I only run it with my friends - I don't trust "pubbies", to use a gamer term. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

And besides, I don't run Onma S too much. It's nerve-wracking, and while Har/Quick is legendary, I prefer the fun of Endrum Remnants/Grove of Fanatics/Mine Defense more. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Remedy on 2006-12-20 02:26 ]</font>

Dj_SkyEpic
Dec 20, 2006, 05:29 AM
On 2006-12-20 02:22, PaladinRPG wrote:
And I have noticed you always in Demons Above S. Is that where a lot of drama happens in general? Only time I went so far it was a hell of a ride, with people in my group screwing up mission S-rank repeatedly and getting flamed bigtime. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Yes. Each and every day I gather 5 of my buddies to take control of Onma S's ness. It's good 49mp with 5500 meseta for S rank. It's also the one area where I can find the 10* rod from the boss box and Har / Quick especially 6* rifles from King Ollakas and regular drops of rare synth mats.

My friend was at Onma S but not in my party. He informed me of his findings usually when we meet in the fields. The mailing incident started happening right after he went to his room with the newly found rod board.

Tra
Dec 20, 2006, 06:08 AM
I think it's a better idea if you just plain don't talk about it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ProfessorZ
Dec 20, 2006, 06:41 AM
I think Samuel Jackson said it best

360 FOR THE MUTHAFUCKIN WIN!!!! YEA!!!

etlitch
Dec 20, 2006, 06:46 AM
Account number. They exist for an reason.

AngelLight
Dec 20, 2006, 08:38 AM
jeM is a PSU guild currently in existance.

I dont think it's fair to say that this is only a guild issue. Just because someone is in a guild doesn't mean that they are not entitled to fair treatment as a fellow member of our community (unless they are just a disruptive influence to the community and as far as I've seen while Remedy has been involved in a few confrontations he/she has also contributed alot of info to the community as a whole and worked constructively in helping expand the knowledge base of PSOW's members and participate in meaningful debates here).

IF (and that's a big if) we are looking at a Character ID copy then that's a very serious thing indeed. It would also be a very big nail in a coffin SEGA's making for themselves.

However, do keep in mind that there are no unique names in this game and therefore it is wholy possible that what you saw was someone posing as another person and not a hack....then somehow they got in contact with you (perhaps thru a party).

Vhex
Dec 20, 2006, 08:43 AM
On 2006-12-20 02:10, -Shimarisu- wrote:

Exactly, although I still think you guys are overreacting blaming everything on hackers. I was doing a Mad Creatures S run and apparently we missed a mob and got A, and some Newb shouted, "OMG they hacked our rank! I'm telling sega!!!1" Not even joking....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vhex on 2006-12-20 05:45 ]</font>

MORB
Dec 20, 2006, 09:14 AM
On 2006-12-20 03:46, etlitch wrote:
Account number. They exist for an reason.

Yeah. Because Sonic Team are retards.

Every other single fucking online RPG force people to have unique names, which prevent this kind of stuff from happening (although it is a source of drama and therefore of lulz).

But no, apparently in the ass backward world of sonic team, it's more convenient for players to have to use fucking numbers to distinguish between people.

Alpha-Hunter
Dec 20, 2006, 09:34 AM
really in a perfect word it should be name and number, but sonic team seems to want to take teh easy way out everytime. production value can be low (like PSU) but you have to have all your I dotted and T's crossed. That's not the case though. still very fun, but really could have been over the top if they would have taken the time to do so.

etlitch
Dec 20, 2006, 10:11 AM
Ever thought of it backwards? How about, it's not that bad with different account numbers and same character names, since you can check the account number just within a couple of key taps. Someone's not checking account numbers. It's their problem.

Laranas
Dec 20, 2006, 10:22 AM
Hmm I was going to grind Onma B for MP since I can't find a competant S group, but if there's a 10* rod in question I may have to go anyway.

Alpha-Hunter
Dec 20, 2006, 10:33 AM
remembering account numbers...?

PMB960
Dec 20, 2006, 10:40 AM
This has been going on for a long time. The first time Broomop was in the lobby bragging about what he did I was there. While he was talking I suddenlt started receiving mail from a player I had never met. They just kept mailing me. I found them sitting in a corner of the lobby and blacklisted them.

MORB
Dec 20, 2006, 10:45 AM
On 2006-12-20 07:11, etlitch wrote:
Ever thought of it backwards? How about, it's not that bad with different account numbers and same character names, since you can check the account number just within a couple of key taps. Someone's not checking account numbers. It's their problem.

Remembering and comparing numbers is fine for computers. It is not for human beings.

In this day and age it's incredibly lazy and stupid in an online game to force people to identify things with bunch of numbers instead of textual names.

Your way of thinking is backwards indeed. If names were unique, you wouldn't need a couple of key taps to check an account number. Your brain can tell you directly if you recognize a name or not.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MORB on 2006-12-20 07:47 ]</font>

Ryoki
Dec 20, 2006, 10:46 AM
On 2006-12-20 07:45, MORB wrote:

On 2006-12-20 07:11, etlitch wrote:

Remembering and comparing numbers is fine for computers. It is not for human beings.

In this day and age it's incredibly lazy and stupid in an online game to force people to identify things with bunch of numbers instead of textual names.

I kinda agree, except mine is easy as hell to remember....

PMB960
Dec 20, 2006, 11:26 AM
Um isn't this like looking at the license plate on a car?

Mewnie
Dec 20, 2006, 11:30 AM
okay..dumb question...

how do I find a user's ID number in Simple Mail? X3

Alpha-Hunter
Dec 20, 2006, 11:34 AM
plates are used by goverments to catalogue people on a computerized database, not so you can identify a friend from a stranger. thought it could be used that way if you were so inclined. a better way would be to look at the driver of the car, ie. someones char name.

On 2006-12-20 08:26, PMB960 wrote:
Um isn't this like looking at the license plate on a car?

Gamemako
Dec 20, 2006, 11:38 AM
Numbers are just as easy to recognize; you're just not used to looking at them.

Wheatpenny
Dec 20, 2006, 11:54 AM
This is geting out of hand.Everyone having to be parinoid,everyone affraid to accept a friend card,everyone pass locking their rooms. All this because of a couple of tard hackers.Yes to those involved It is very sadening to hear about what they did to you,their actions clearly show the hackers have a profound lack of a pecker. But we are all giving them what they want ATTENTION, the more we all talk about it the more parinoid we become the MORE they are going to do it.Its all about the response for them,More than likely they are lurking right now and are reading all the crap we are saying.They can bomb our PM,take our shop goods, steal our furniture,but like hell I am gona let them dictate how I play,screw them hakzors.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wheatpenny on 2006-12-20 09:02 ]</font>

WrathOfMegid
Dec 20, 2006, 12:02 PM
On 2006-12-20 08:54, Wheatpenny wrote:
This is geting out of hand.Everyone having to be parinoid,everyone affraid to accept a friend card,everyone pass locking their rooms. All this because of a couple of tard hackers.Yes to those involved It is very sadening to hear about what they did to you,their actions clearly show they have a profound lack of a pecker. But we are all giving them what they want ATTENTION, the more we all talk about it the more parinoid we become the MORE they are going to do it.Its all about the response for them,More than likely they are lurking right now and are reading all the crap we are saying.They can bomb our PM,take our shop goods, steal our furniture,but like hell I am gona let them dictate how I play,screw them hakzors.

I like apricots, not to change the subject, though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Lythandas
Dec 20, 2006, 12:06 PM
People can send you mail by comming up to ur character and clicking "Send Simple Mail" without recieving your card. Some of the replys don't seem to acknowledge that fact is possible.

Shadow_Wing
Dec 20, 2006, 12:32 PM
I was the one who got the drop, and I was the one who gave it to my friend, and ensuing drama that was to come of this was rather annoying, and quite frankly very sad.

Anyways...

Well I'm not really too overly concerned, unlike my friend who is now paranoid on who to trust outside a few specific people who I won't explain out here due to the fact they impersonated DJ, however it is unsettling that they did in fact to go though such lengths to gain access to my friend's room.

We have taken proper steps to protect ourselves, and I think we'll be just fine.

If you want to know...

The problem started when s/he was messaged by a person named Sakura at 1st, offering 50mil, this being some1 s/he didn't know s/he was saying wtf, I explained to him/her it was probably some1 in Kego Clearing. S/He accepted my reasoning and we went on our merry way.

5 minutes into another game we received msges from Remedy offering 75mil and touting how JeM all hacks and what not. He also was touting how he has all these hacks and what not, but we dismissed this. We expected it wasn't Remedy, however since I do have Ruby Eclipse's card I gave him a shout, sorry if that may have gave you trouble Remedy however I could not be entirely sure it was you or not. Well I told him/her that Ruby wanted some screens of his/her conversation with my friend, and s/he logged after s/he changed his/her pass to his/her room.

S/He didn't return till we finished our Omna S run, so we waited in Kego again. Not long after s/he msgs me and my group about how they impersonated DJ to gain access to his/her room. This was the thing that got him/her into paranoia overdrive. We taken necessary steps, cause it was clear that this person was going though lots of lengths to gain access to my friend's room, and quite possibly bomb him.

I find it hard to believe it was some ordinary user who wishes to just "see" the board giving the circumstances and how it was played out.

Oh and if I were to receive threatening msgs from anyone after this, hahahaha.

Remedy
Dec 20, 2006, 12:37 PM
Hey, no problem, Shadow. You gotta do what you gotta do, eh? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Although, if this "impersonator" wasn't using proper grammar and spelling and whatnot, it wasn't me. Kitty emoticons are another key bit of evidence. =^.~=

Ninja-edit: And there's exactly two things in this game I'd offer 75 million for: A Har/Quick and a completed Psycho Wand. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Remedy on 2006-12-20 09:40 ]</font>

PMB960
Dec 20, 2006, 12:40 PM
On 2006-12-20 09:06, Lythandas wrote:
People can send you mail by comming up to ur character and clicking "Send Simple Mail" without recieving your card. Some of the replys don't seem to acknowledge that fact is possible.

But the person who did this to me never came near me. I never met them before I just started. Also when you get into a hit and run do you identify the other driver or their car? There are many people with that description with that type of car but their license plate is (hopefully) unique. People can have multiple characters too. You might not recognize someone by name if they suddenly create a new character. I am not trying to say that using numbers are more efficient just that there is no difference between using unique ID's and unique names.

Garnet_Moon
Dec 20, 2006, 01:52 PM
I don't give the pass to my room out. I laughed at my friend and told him to go away while I farmed De Ragan when he asked me in game, and on MSN. He just wants to play with my PM is all! She got pregnant last time! D:<

But yeah, sensative info like that I don't give out. Regardless of what the median is.

Len
Dec 21, 2006, 12:46 AM
On 2006-12-20 10:52, Garnet_Moon wrote:
I don't give the pass to my room out. I laughed at my friend and told him to go away while I farmed De Ragan when he asked me in game, and on MSN. He just wants to play with my PM is all! She got pregnant last time! D:<

But yeah, sensative info like that I don't give out. Regardless of what the median is.

O_o hope your friends a CAST or thats kinda freaky
in any case, despite the fact that i play on the 360[-sniff-all my friends are on ps2]i wish there was someway i could help everyone out.i don't like knowing that i have to sit back and watch everyone take this kind of abuse knowing i can do nothing http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif