PDA

View Full Version : crossbow worthwhile with PA20?

afireinside
Dec 20, 2006, 05:36 PM
Using a crossbow with ice PA at level 5 and it's SLOW! Is it even worthwhile to go for 20 with my fighgunner or should I sell it now for a machinegun? Does the accuracy improve at 11+ or no?

Dusk21
Dec 20, 2006, 05:43 PM
At level 20 it'll shoot 2 shots with a 60% accuracy mod and a 135% or 140% damage mod (can't remember which it is atm). Its infinitely better than a machinegun, then again I can't think of any weapons that aren't~. Xbow IS a ridiculously hard PA to level though, but its worth it.

Reiichi
Dec 20, 2006, 05:53 PM
I'd think firing 2 bullets in a V from a xbow would drive me nuts after a while. I know shotgun did with 4 spread for a while.

-Shimarisu-
Dec 20, 2006, 06:43 PM
This is about the most useful weapon a guntecher will have, obviously all your others are equally needed but people wil really thank you for your close range, high stun rate and resta on tap.

Dunno bout figunner though, seeing as you get level 20 only I'd probably concentrate more on 2 handed weapons. Unless you find a really UBER saber.

Alisha
Dec 20, 2006, 08:03 PM
imo crossbow blows unless you are a class with access to at least lvl 21+ bullets.

SailorDaravon
Dec 20, 2006, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I love my crossbow to death, but that's because it's almost at 21. If you're a figunner, you guys get twin handguns right? I'd waay suggest that over crossbow. If you've absolutely got to go crosswbow or mechgun though, definetely go crossbow.

afireinside
Dec 20, 2006, 11:06 PM
I already use twin handguns http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif Need a side arm to go with my dagger though. PA is 8 now, I'll get it to 11 tomorrow and see how it is.

Kula
Dec 21, 2006, 01:48 AM
Crossbow is very powerful compare to a handgun, just loses a lil speed and FPV. But also gains more pp then handgun, as a figunner 20 bullets is my max and shooting 2 bullets aint bad. the 2 bullet shot is pretty narrow so its able to hit the target with both bullets at a nice distance. I duno any information above lvl 21 bullet except that it fires 3 bullets i heard. *wish figunner had 30 bullets too lol*

Gamemako
Dec 21, 2006, 03:00 AM
On 2006-12-20 22:48, Kula wrote:
Crossbow is very powerful compare to a handgun, just loses a lil speed and FPV. But also gains more pp then handgun, as a figunner 20 bullets is my max and shooting 2 bullets aint bad. the 2 bullet shot is pretty narrow so its able to hit the target with both bullets at a nice distance. I duno any information above lvl 21 bullet except that it fires 3 bullets i heard. *wish figunner had 30 bullets too lol*

I wish fighgunners were imba too.

Oh wait, they already are, with the ONLY entirely class-exclusive weaponry in the entire game. Bah.

Anyway, I'd say the crossbow isn't worth it over the handgun unless you have level 30 bullets. Without, it becomes more difficult to hit at longer ranges and deals less damage than just a handgun. Simple solution? Just use the handgun or a machine gun. The crossbow was not meant for you.

//EDIT: When I say damage I mean DPS. As a figunner, you don't shoot up close, so having a V-shot can be detrimental.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gamemako on 2006-12-21 00:01 ]</font>

Bleemo
Dec 21, 2006, 03:39 AM
Keep in mind you can't go in first person with a crossbow. Crossbow isn't truly any good until level 21+ bullets.

Shiro_Ryuu
Dec 21, 2006, 11:04 AM
well, I kinda like the crossbow as a fighgunner, but I haven't even gotten myself any elements for it yet, so for now, its just a single shot.

tailz
Dec 27, 2006, 12:02 PM
On 2006-12-21 08:04, Shiroryuu wrote:
well, I kinda like the crossbow as a fighgunner, but I haven't even gotten myself any elements for it yet, so for now, its just a single shot.

ya i tried one out the other day and loved it, but completely forgot i could only get the 2 bullets... i never though about it only shooting in a V, and that prolly is really hard to get used to... looks like im goin for that double saver after all, save 25k in the process hehe

Sitka
Dec 27, 2006, 06:00 PM
I shot the hell out of my crossbow and after many, many hours it finally ticked to level 2 and then eventually 3. That thing is ridiculous for leveling.

Even so, it's very powerful when compared to a handgun. It's useful if you're playing a support guntecher and going in to heal your partners/npcs and still help with the damage. With the bonus from higher stats, it would be that much better.

Two things I did not like with the crossbow:

1) To use it, you have to hold down the upper bumper on the controller of the xbox 360 while strafing. This just cripples the muscles of the hand after a while. I went back to my Alterics and rifles just to give my hand a break.

2) There is no scope shooting - at least I couldn't do it. With a handgun, if a shagreece or some other flying baddie goes up, you can switch to scope mode and knock the bastard out of his fire strafe or flying attack. You can't do that with the crossbow. This is handy when you get a baddie trapped on a corner and you throw up the scope to shoot at your leisure with no fear of getting clawed or runover. Particularly so with frickin worms (I hate em so).

As much as I want to love the crossbow, I gave up for now and switched my guntecher back to a fortegunner so I can nuke stuff with my grenade launcher and Burst rifles.

I'm going to hold on to that Cubo Dunga for a while though and maybe try it out on the female cast when she comes up.

Dymalos
Dec 27, 2006, 07:28 PM
Uh Sitka. you do realize it is entirely possible to go into the menu in PSU and set the bumper to toggle instead of holding it down? Edit: This is found under System->Options and is apparently mislabeled as "Weapon/TECHNIC swap", so I can understand why it would be hard to find.

That aside, I have gotten Yak Riga to 30 and Yak Banga to 11. A Crossbow at 21+ will outdamage Dual Handguns and fit in one hand. And while 21+ is still preferable, I think that in terms of pure damage and status application rate that a Crossbow at 11-20 completely outclasses a handgun. You do miss out first person but, honestly you do not need this on the majority of enemies, and the few that do require it should be taken out with a different gun. Heck, it is incredibly easy to get a Shagreece or Zoona with all of the shots from a Crossbow, you only need to attack the area under them and magically they'll take all of the hits.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dymalos on 2006-12-27 16:32 ]</font>

Sitka
Dec 27, 2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info Dymalos - I'll try working with that a bit tonight and see how it works.

Are you sure a crossbow can outperform twin handguns?

So, for example, would a guntecher actually do better with the crossbow than the twin handguns, particularly when he gets access to s-rank twin handguns?

Dymalos
Dec 27, 2006, 07:39 PM
I'm also on Xbox 360, if you'd like we can do a mission. I have Evil Twins and Cuba Dungas, so you can see them side by side. They both have an approximately equal rate of fire, but the evil twins only fires twice with each shot and does about 200-215 damage while Cuba Dunga does 215-230 and fires three times.

I don't see why a Guntecher who would have access to S Rank Twin Handguns wouldn't also be able to use S Rank Crossbows.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dymalos on 2006-12-27 16:41 ]</font>

Sitka
Dec 27, 2006, 08:05 PM
Sure, I'd like to see them side-by-side.

I just remembered a thread where the s-rank twin handguns were considered the best weapon on PSU for a ranger type (someone's opinion), so I would be interested in looking at the two at that level side by side.

I did find running solo I was using the rifles and bows more than I was using the twin handguns and crossbow, so it just seems more comfortable for me to play the fortegunner right now and go back to the crossbow/bows a bit later.

Dymalos
Dec 27, 2006, 08:17 PM
My Gamertag is: Unknown Alias.
Look me up when you can.

Deja
Dec 28, 2006, 02:15 AM
If you have the money, go for crossbow with a figunner. Since you stay close to mobs for your melee weapon, both bullets will hit and hit often. I just got PA lvl 11 with my crossbow on my guntecher, and both shots hit a couple steps away. Also, the V-shaped bullet isn't as bad as it sounds, not as wide as you'd think.

I see the left handed gun as an "hit em while I approach then melee" type...thing...? Crossbow is perfect for that.