PDA

View Full Version : 4chan memes...

Alielle
Dec 21, 2006, 12:39 AM
...encourage all the retards who have nothing to add to a conversation to ejaculate the latest cool fad phrase all over their keyboards when they otherwise would have just been sitting around jerking off to DOAX Volleyball in their parents' basements.

It's getting really old, and using them makes me automatically hate you. Please go die now. ^_^

Edit: Go ahead, quote something at me in a pathetic attempt at ironic humor :D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alielle on 2006-12-20 21:50 ]</font>

UnderscoreX
Dec 21, 2006, 02:22 AM
See I don't think you hate 4chan at all, no! quite the opposite. You actually used that old reverse psychology to try and get people to say some 4chan quotes so you can chuckle at their insane level of humour. I see through you. You're trans-parent, like mother's with a penis.

Shattered_weasel
Dec 21, 2006, 02:33 AM
On one side of me I agree with you in saying that 4chan memes should stay in 4chan. Then you had to ruin it by lumping those who use them in the category of "Uber Perv" thus making me sad.

So now I change this topic with the powers of my mind to "Why fads/memes should stay in their respective forums". Every single forum has fads/memes of their own.

YTMND.com = Sonic sez, Brian Peppers, etc.

4chan.org = >:3, TITS or GTFO, etc.

Gamefaqs.com = Goku vs. Superman threads, and certain smaller fads on random game boards (I.E. World of Warcraft board's "Keylogger" fad/meme they had a while back)

Pso-world.com = DTPA vs. ADTPA, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif, olo, etc.

See every forum more than likely has some sort of in joke that only that joke would be understood at said forum. The only problem with 4chan (particularly /b/) is it's population and the influx of newer people. Thus making these fads/memes which are funny when used in certain times on said board actually unfunny.

Does this mean that 4chan's fads/memes are worse than anyone elses. No, not at all. It is just those people that think they are being funny and trying to bring an name to that which is supposed to be Anonymous that is ruining it for the rest of us.

P.S. Guess where I got my sig from.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shattered_weasel on 2006-12-21 03:01 ]</font>

rena-ko
Dec 21, 2006, 06:45 AM
thing is just, communities are no either-or deal - you can be in multiple ones.
f we have our influx of b-tards here, then so be it, i guess. as long as they realize that the basic rules differ between the communities, that is.

and ingame... well... there are those and those. i would vote against stereotyping people over a single action.

Daikarin
Dec 21, 2006, 08:50 AM
On 2006-12-20 23:22, UnderscoreX wrote:
I see through you. You're trans-parent, like mother's with a penis.

http://i1.tinypic.com/s3d5y8.jpg

Hate the sin, not the sinner.

Alielle
Dec 21, 2006, 02:35 PM
Okay, I've had my coffee and my six hours' rest, so I'm gonna elaborate on what I mean.

Someone who consistently rehashes memes like that, along with a general lack of anything better to say, suggests the following:

- Laziness and lack of thought
- Lack of personality
- Trying really hard to be cool and fit in with all the other faceless drones

...none of which are particularly appealing. It's boring at best, and ridiculously annoying at worst. In an arena where you can essentially create your own unique persona and engage in meaningful exchange of dialog, it seems like such a waste.

Here's an example. Quoting entire posts and simply adding "I agree" used to be considered spam, and it's discouraged by one of the oldest rules of netiquette. But now, "QFT" proliferates everywhere. I've seen it here, and nobody ever says anything. It's just as much of a waste of space, so what the hell happened between then and now that suddenly makes this okay?

To each his own of course, but when I keep seeing that kind of stuff becoming acceptable responses in forums that used to discourage spam, it really pisses me off.

Dek
Dec 21, 2006, 02:51 PM
On 2006-12-21 11:35, Alielle wrote:

the thing most topics (or the internet, in general, according to many) there aren't serious topics, so how could/why should we chime in a serious opinion about said topic?

Don't worry, I know where you're coming from, especially with the issue about useless spam forums. Fortunately, with forums such as this one, we have FKL...

If only others implemented a similar concept

btw, this topic is over 9000 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

KodiaX987
Dec 21, 2006, 03:05 PM
On 2006-12-21 11:35, Alielle wrote:
Here's an example. Quoting entire posts and simply adding "I agree" used to be considered spam, and it's discouraged by one of the oldest rules of netiquette. But now, "QFT" proliferates everywhere. I've seen it here, and nobody ever says anything. It's just as much of a waste of space, so what the hell happened between then and now that suddenly makes this okay?

Words, in the exact same way "firing hundreds of employees" somehow transformed itself into "downsizing" and people actually swallowed it like the idiots they are.

Tengoku
Dec 21, 2006, 05:51 PM
On 2006-12-21 11:35, Alielle wrote
Someone who consistently rehashes memes like that, along with a general lack of anything better to say, suggests the following:

- Lack of personality
- Trying really hard to be cool and fit in with all the other faceless drones

...none of which are particularly appealing. It's boring at best, and ridiculously annoying at worst. In an arena where you can essentially create your own unique persona and engage in meaningful exchange of dialog, it seems like such a waste.
It's the internets. Very little of what goes on is actually interesting in something more than a "Aww, baby pooped his diapers" kinda way.

Your thoughts, while held by most of those who post as opposed to those who spam, don't change anything. Mods change things. If you want things to change, start reporting spam when you think you see it.

If it works, awesome. If not, oh well. Yelling at the other dumbass cars in traffic never makes them move any faster. You're yelling at traffic. Sure it makes you feel better, but does it really help?

Alielle
Dec 21, 2006, 07:33 PM
On 2006-12-21 14:51, Tengoku wrote:

It's the internets. Very little of what goes on is actually interesting in something more than a "Aww, baby pooped his diapers" kinda way.

That's not always the case, and I remember when it wasn't the norm too, but maybe that was before your time. I've definitely noticed a decline in post quality at this site lately.

Your thoughts, while held by most of those who post as opposed to those who spam, don't change anything. Mods change things. If you want things to change, start reporting spam when you think you see it.

Mods can clean things up, sure. But I doubt their influence extends beyond that.

February
Dec 22, 2006, 04:28 AM
...encourage all the retards who have nothing to add to a conversation to ejaculate the latest cool fad phrase all over their keyboards when they otherwise would have just been sitting around jerking off to DOAX Volleyball in their parents' basements and my mom got scared
And said "you’re moving with your aunte and uncle in bel-air" I whistled for a cab and when it came near
the Licensplate said "fresh" and had a dice in the
mirror If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought naw forget it, yo homes to bel-air
I pulled up to a house about seven or eight
And I yelled to the cabby "yo, homes smell you later"
Looked at my kingdom I was finally there To sit on my throne as the prince of bel-air

Oh come on, someone had to see it coming

Blitzkommando
Dec 22, 2006, 04:49 AM
Studies show that the larger a community grows the more waste, in this case spam, is produced. PSOW is pushing 45,000 users. Even if just half appear once a month that's over 20,000 users a month. (I'm sure the real number is closer to 10,000 but still...) I remember too when the most annoying topics were the "Legit vs Cheaters" wars that would occasionally break out of Cheating into other sections or how "RAmarl sucks/rocks" threads. Today we have 2-3 pages of new topics in PSU General every day. That's bound to be a good portion of trash.

I'm not saying that spamming outside of the proper place (if there even technically is a proper place for that) isn't bad, it's just something that goes with the territory of the internet. Anonynimity is the best and worst thing to happen with the internet. Spam is just part of the latter.

geewj
Dec 22, 2006, 05:23 AM
On 2006-12-20 21:39, Alielle wrote:
...encourage all the retards who have nothing to add to a conversation to ejaculate the latest cool fad phrase all over their keyboards when they otherwise would have just been sitting around jerking off to DOAX Volleyball in their parents' basements.

It's getting really old, and using them makes me automatically hate you. Please go die now. ^_^

Agreed.

I like to call them instant funnies. They`re like those `101 Sports Jokes` books for the internet.

geewj
Dec 22, 2006, 05:35 AM

If it works, awesome. If not, oh well. Yelling at the other dumbass cars in traffic never makes them move any faster. You're yelling at traffic. Sure it makes you feel better, but does it really help?

I think you may have missed the point.

She's pointing out how lazy and pathetic using the same tired memes is. And how little thought and creativity some of these people seem to be willing to put into thier attempts at communicating on the internet. You're welcome to take the 'lol internets' response to that, but 'lol internets' isn't a good excuse for acting like a retard no matter how you look at it.

As for the post not changing anything, the same can be said for any given post which makes them all equally significant. And then there's the whole thing about this being the Rants section, not the Change the Internets section.

And yelling at the other cars may not make them go any faster, but making fun of the people inside is a fun way of passing the time.

Realmz
Dec 22, 2006, 10:50 AM
On 2006-12-22 02:35, geewj wrote:

She's pointing out how lazy and pathetic using the same tired memes is. And how little thought and creativity some of these people seem to be willing to put into thier attempts at communicating on the internet. You're welcome to take the 'lol internets' response to that, but 'lol internets' isn't a good excuse for acting like a retard no matter how you look at it.

As for the post not changing anything, the same can be said for any given post which makes them all equally significant. And then there's the whole thing about this being the Rants section, not the Change the Internets section.

And yelling at the other cars may not make them go any faster, but making fun of the people inside is a fun way of passing the time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/realmzjetter/1163734960273.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/realmzjetter/1158788784361.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/realmzjetter/starscreamcopy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/realmzjetter/decepticonsmind.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/realmzjetter/1136604900482.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/realmzjetter/1164989778241.jpg

okay i'm done http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Allos
Dec 22, 2006, 11:20 AM
On 2006-12-20 23:33, Shattered_weasel wrote:

Pso-world.com = DTPA vs. ADTPA

Ahhh, the good old days

Tengoku
Dec 24, 2006, 01:24 PM
On 2006-12-21 16:33, Alielle wrote:
That's not always the case, and I remember when it wasn't the norm too, but maybe that was before your time. I've definitely noticed a decline in post quality at this site lately.Before my time on this forum, of course, but everything was better "back then". As forums grow, so does the percentage of 'tards and their actions only loom larger as they grow in number. I'm sure this very forum was a bonified hive of intelligent thought and creative postings but utopia never last forever. Especially after they let anyone with a keyboard in.

Mods can clean things up, sure. But I doubt their influence extends beyond that.Start with this forum. Baby steps. No, the PSOW mods cannot change the internets, but change has to start somewhere.

She's pointing out how lazy and pathetic using the same tired memes is. And how little thought and creativity some of these people seem to be willing to put into thier attempts at communicating on the internet. You're welcome to take the 'lol internets' response to that, but 'lol internets' isn't a good excuse for acting like a retard no matter how you look at it. "LOL internets"? Damn that's funny! Wish I had thought of that one.. wait...

You missed my point. My point not being an excuse for their behavior, but rather, my observation of why the boring behavior. Again, very little actually goes on that is interesting, beyond the first time someone coins a phrase. Look at society, we're mimics and copy-cats because conformity ensures stability, and stability is a good thing when it comes to a society. Why would the internet be any different? People use phrases because they're well known and instantly provide both a frame of reference and a meaning. Look at the "LOL intarweb" thing. Everybody instantly knows what it means, how to reference it within the context of the statement, and that it is meant to be humorous and not too serious.

I should have elaborated further, my apologies. I stand by my yelling at the idiots in traffic statement. Sure, it makes me feel better, but those bloody morons doing 30 in my 45mph zone don't become any more aware. Same thing here. /shrug

Alielle
Dec 24, 2006, 05:05 PM
For some reason you seem hell-bent on the idea that I'm trying to change things single-handedly.

On 2006-12-22 02:35, geewj wrote:

That said...

On 2006-12-24 10:24, Tengoku wrote:
You missed my point. My point not being an excuse for their behavior, but rather, my observation of why the boring behavior.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't care. Retarded behavior is still retarded behavior, regardless of Sociology 101 theories.

Tengoku
Dec 26, 2006, 01:25 PM
On 2006-12-24 14:05, Alielle wrote:
For some reason you seem hell-bent on the idea that I'm trying to change things single-handedly.
On PSOW perhaps, but why would you only want just this forum changed? Why not go all the way? Is this the only site you post on?
That said...

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't care. Retarded behavior is still retarded behavior, regardless of Sociology 101 theories. Never took the class, just my observations from life. I coouldn't care if you are rude as I expect behavior such as this from those who post on the internet. Oddly enough, as rudness goes, you are barely a quiver on the Rude-meter's needle. /shrug

Skorpius
Dec 28, 2006, 04:02 AM
People regurgitate what they find funny. Stupid people find stupid things funny, thus they regurgitate stupid things.

That, and most of 4chan is mostly made up of teenage boys who have yet to make an identity for themselves.