PDA

View Full Version : Online offline?

Scopes
Dec 21, 2006, 04:37 PM
I had been intending on getting a PS2 once the PS3 came out, as to get one for a lesser price, and then purchase PSU (since I would use the PS2 for other things). Well, I've decided to cave, and I plan on buying PSU for PC with a Christmas bonus. Anyway, poking around the PSU website, I saw that you have to go online to play the offline game...

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_chuck-ball.gif

First off, if you intend only to play offline, does the game still really require you to connect to the internet?
Secondly, if so, is there a way to disable that (On a side note I really have Nprotect >.>)
And, Thirdly, if not, then after it's established that you don't want to go online, but had to because the game made you, can you disconnect, and play the offline mode OFFLINE?

Thanks;
Scopes

Kesena1Tsum1
Dec 21, 2006, 04:44 PM
On the Xbox 360 version, You can play the Offline Story Mode... Offline... (Meaning not connected to Xbox Live) But i couldn't tell you about the PC/PS2.

AeraLure
Dec 21, 2006, 04:47 PM
PC requires you to be have an internet connection to play Story or Network mode. I have never tried disconnecting from the internet though while playing Story mode. Not sure what happens in that case.

PS2 does not require you to have a connection to play Story mode.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AeraLure on 2006-12-21 13:51 ]</font>

Scopes
Dec 21, 2006, 04:49 PM
That's kind of irksome that you have to at least connect to the 'net to play Story mode... You'd think they wouldn't force you to if you didn't have any intention of playing Network mode...

AeraLure
Dec 21, 2006, 04:53 PM
I agree. There are some cases where it'd be especially annoying, say if I installed it on a laptop and was travelling etc. Generally speaking though they shouldnt require it for Story mode as its not a requirement for either console and I cant even really see for what reason they bother, since the two versions (Story and Network) cant affect each other.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AeraLure on 2006-12-21 14:04 ]</font>

Scopes
Dec 21, 2006, 04:59 PM
On 2006-12-21 13:53, AeraLure wrote:
I agree. There are some cases where it'd be especially annoying, say if I installed it on a laptop and was travelling etc. Generally speaking though they shouldnt require it for Story mode as its not a requirement for either console and I cant even really see for what reason they bother, since the two versions cat affect each other.

That's just about my exact situation. It's going on my laptop, and while at home I'd normally sit in my room, I can't pick up a wi-fi signal (my neighbors let me borrow theirs) in my basement, where my TV which I'd like to be able to watch now and again is. (And no, I can't use my internet; I'd have a faster run of it tying a brick to a turtle and sending it on it's way.) Also, three hour car trips multiple times a month >.>

EDIT: Zeta, I know WHY they have it, but it shouldn't be any of their damn business if I want to cheat on my own offline game that I bought. And then the case comes up of, it's almost just as easy to hack an Xbox, so why is there no check with that?

(And if anyone wonders why I hate nProtect, I HAVE my own anti-hacker software that I'm just a tad sure is better, and I'm NOT going to hack a game, plus the fact of the processing speed it wastes effectively for me, and finally, when I played ROSE for a few weeks, nProtect got a bug, crashed my computer, and ended up getting a large portion of my harddrive corrupted.

Irony.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scopes on 2006-12-21 14:03 ]</font>

McLaughlin
Dec 21, 2006, 04:59 PM
It's to attempt to keep you from cheating. If the game notices anything strange it'll download the altered files and reinstall them.

AeraLure
Dec 21, 2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah, my point was only I am not even sure why they bothered to protect only PC Story mode in that fashion.

-Dainslef-
Dec 21, 2006, 05:04 PM
Uh.. this is news to me. I'm pretty sure I've played single player on my laptop without any internet.

Scopes
Dec 21, 2006, 05:11 PM
On 2006-12-21 14:04, -Dainslef- wrote:
Uh.. this is news to me. I'm pretty sure I've played single player on my laptop without any internet.

That's mildly reassuring to hear. I found a semi-helpful thread on the PSU website forums, where someone suggested (as to a request on how to play offline, via PC);

1. Connect to the internet.
2. Open PSU
3. Allow GameGuard to load.
4. Disconnect internet at title screen.
5. Press Enter.
6. Select Story Mode.
7. Select either "Current Game" or "New Game."
....First time? Select "New Game."

So, it sounds like I can disconnect and play story and Extra, though I have to load things up online... Hrm...

Realmz
Dec 21, 2006, 05:16 PM
for the offline modes, you only need to be connected to the net for the gameguard update after that you can meander around anywhere you want

McLaughlin
Dec 21, 2006, 05:22 PM
On 2006-12-21 13:59, Scopes wrote:

On 2006-12-21 13:53, AeraLure wrote:
I agree. There are some cases where it'd be especially annoying, say if I installed it on a laptop and was travelling etc. Generally speaking though they shouldnt require it for Story mode as its not a requirement for either console and I cant even really see for what reason they bother, since the two versions cat affect each other.

That's just about my exact situation. It's going on my laptop, and while at home I'd normally sit in my room, I can't pick up a wi-fi signal (my neighbors let me borrow theirs) in my basement, where my TV which I'd like to be able to watch now and again is. (And no, I can't use my internet; I'd have a faster run of it tying a brick to a turtle and sending it on it's way.) Also, three hour car trips multiple times a month >.>

EDIT: Zeta, I know WHY they have it, but it shouldn't be any of their damn business if I want to cheat on my own offline game that I bought. And then the case comes up of, it's almost just as easy to hack an Xbox, so why is there no check with that?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Scopes on 2006-12-21 14:03 ]</font>

Because that's a fallacy. It's a lot harder to hack a 360 than a PC. We've been over this time and again.

Not to mention, requiring a console to have a constant internet connection is idiotic. On a PC in this day and age, it's almost a necessity to have an internet connection. They aren't expecting you to play on a laptop. The majority of people will play on a PC.

physic
Dec 21, 2006, 06:08 PM
yeah you only need teh connection at the start up, after you dont need a connection at all

Scopes
Dec 21, 2006, 07:12 PM
The 360 is essentially a Microsoft computer stuck in a different box, from expierence with the origional Xbox, it's not as difficult as you'd think.

McLaughlin
Dec 21, 2006, 07:17 PM
On 2006-12-21 16:12, Scopes wrote:
from expierence with the origional Xbox

There's your problem.

The Xbox 360 is not the Xbox.

Scopes
Dec 21, 2006, 07:40 PM
Fair enough. I haven't gotten to play around with a 360, though I do hope they made it so you can't access the root files and rip games/DVDs without any external mods anymore.

Also, physic, sorry, didn't thank you.