PDA

View Full Version : GC: PSO Guide

WraithAkaMrak
Nov 25, 2002, 11:56 PM
I bought the guide for Ver. 1 on the DC. I don't know that I used it for much, but it was kinda cool to have. I looked at Target and B-Dalton and didn't see any PSO guide. I'm sure if we had a real gaming store, I could find it.

But what do you think of the guide if you have it? Is it worth getting?

MajinSSJVegetto
Nov 26, 2002, 12:37 AM
People have said the Versus has made one.

Same people who made the old one.

This new one (they said) is the same thing but with like 10 new pages.

I am going to get it when I see it. Its not the best thing ever, but the maps sure can help (I hope it can still show you all the new maps varitions, and there aren't any unknown ones or anything).
Having a copy of all mag evolutions and feeding guids saves time to.

ABDUR101
Nov 26, 2002, 01:07 AM
The Versus guide has alot of errors on it. We also have a mag guide.

Infact, we have alot of guides, which are being updated quite frequently.

Located here (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php). =)

Also, there are plans to put up maps.(Forest maps are already up, located here (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=listarticles&secid=22))

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2002-11-25 22:15 ]</font>

MilkManX
Nov 26, 2002, 10:41 AM
You can get the crappy guide from Versus books at EB Gameworld.

Sapphire87
Nov 26, 2002, 08:11 PM
The Versus Guide for DC Version 1 was only good for two things:

1. A good map guide

2. An O.K. mag feeding guide

The latter was really the only thing I used the guide for. The section in the guide that talked about rare weapons really, really sucked. I didn't spend $13 on a guide just so it could tell me "...to preserve their mystique, we aren't allowed to reveal..." or "Several beloved Sega characters appear as Rare Mags, but we can't tell you much more than that." WTF?! The damn instruction manual that came with the game gives me more information than this worthless excuse for a guide. Hopefully, Versus didn't make the same mistake with their GC PSO guide.

EsperFlame
Nov 26, 2002, 08:22 PM
The new strategy guide contains alot of nice new sections. The mag raising guidehas been expanded to include the new 4th evolutions. It also contains information on the new Episode 2 Maps and enemies. It also has a complete listing of every rare weapon/armor/shield style equipment in the game. And last it has the information on the new offline quests that were added in. So to me, this guide wasworth the money. I was even nice enough to give away my old strategy guide to someone who needed a base to start of with.

Sora
Nov 26, 2002, 09:09 PM
It's a lot more handy to have a guide book then numerous pages printed from a web site that doesn't use a printer friendly layout http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I've found a few glaring problems with the new guide, but since I already pointed them out, it's not a big deal. Everything else has been fairly straight forward. It helped me raise my 4th evolution Mag.

DJ_Monkey
Nov 26, 2002, 10:29 PM
On 2002-11-26 18:09, Sora wrote:
It's a lot more handy to have a guide book then numerous pages printed from a web site that doesn't use a printer friendly layout http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I've found a few glaring problems with the new guide, but since I already pointed them out, it's not a big deal. Everything else has been fairly straight forward. It helped me raise my 4th evolution Mag.

That's for sure, I didn't want to print out the enemy list on this site, since it would be over 25 pages long...

eRUPT
Nov 27, 2002, 01:55 AM
Print friendly huh?, Perhaps I can just start the site from scratch now and make it cellphone friendly first, then I will make it sticker friendly so that we can all print out the info on A4 paper labels. But of course we need to perhaps make e-reader cards for the site so that are GBA users are not left out, this would be rather selfish of volunteer site admins to not setup. How damn selfish of us, shame on fucking us for adding content instead of printer pages.

Oh well the selfishness of lazy people never fails to amaze me anymore, But then again we're the lazy ones for our lack of printable content.

Sedric
Nov 27, 2002, 02:13 AM
Print friendly? Print friendly???? What makes you think those pre-made guids are "print friendly" either? Do you know how much ink and paper was used just to make that guide you bought, which you so-called "print friendly?" Yeah, about $14.99. I know that....

I'm not saying those guides are useless. Sure, like you said, they are more handy cause they are already printed out, has pictures, and nicer layouts.

But what I'm trying to say is that saying what's "print friendly" and what's "not print friendly" is kinda biased when online guides are not really meant to be printed out in the first place. Not that you can't, but why would you??? It's freaking online guide....

Oh well the selfishness of lazy people never fails to amaze me anymore, But then again we're the lazy ones for our lack of printable content.

I totally agree with this one. What a world we live in....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sedric on 2002-11-26 23:15 ]</font>

EsperFlame
Nov 27, 2002, 04:25 AM
[quote]
On 2002-11-26 23:13, Sedric wrote:
Print friendly? Print friendly???? What makes you think those pre-made guids are "print friendly" either? Do you know how much ink and paper was used just to make that guide you bought, which you so-called "print friendly?" Yeah, about $14.99. I know that....

[quote]

What most people mean by printer friendly is the Margins are all lined up and the charts print out in ageneral uniform look as opposed to looking likea bunch of text just thrown together.

Spy
Nov 27, 2002, 11:59 AM
On 2002-11-26 22:55, eRUPT wrote:
Print friendly huh?, Perhaps I can just start the site from scratch now and make it cellphone friendly first, then I will make it sticker friendly so that we can all print out the info on A4 paper labels. But of course we need to perhaps make e-reader cards for the site so that are GBA users are not left out, this would be rather selfish of volunteer site admins to not setup. How damn selfish of us, shame on fucking us for adding content instead of printer pages.

Whoa now. Calm down. It was a moderator who plugged/suggested the site as an alternative to the game guide, and quite frankly, it just doesn't work.

LollipopLolita
Nov 27, 2002, 12:11 PM
it's online. it's a website, it's not print. plenty people have used it as a guide, to dismiss it entirely would counter the point of why some people are here. pick whatever works for you best. if it doesn't work for you fine.

this discussion is about the versus guide.

btw it has some errors.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2002-11-27 09:12 ]</font>

neko-chan
Nov 27, 2002, 12:14 PM
Printer friendly guides would be nice.

I remember when I used to print the "non printer friendly" Mamak challenge guides... it was a mess >_<

And making the guides printer friendly takes like... uhm... 5 mins, right?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: neko-chan on 2002-11-27 09:16 ]</font>

Spy
Nov 27, 2002, 12:32 PM
On 2002-11-27 09:14, neko-chan wrote:

Trust me Neko, don't call down the thunder unless you want to reap the whirlwind http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

DJ_Monkey
Nov 27, 2002, 04:11 PM
The problem with the guide on this site, is that, while the guide here is very nice, it isn't even in the same room as my GC. I would have to continally walk from the other side of the house to the computer just to get some information. Not to mention that I would much rather have some company make a guide than having to waste a lot of my own printer ink.

The paper isn't really as orgainzed as a guide, and it could get messy. The paper would easily tear, and the ink could smudge over time. With the guide, it's designed to pack a lot of information into a smaller space, so you don't need over 200 pages for the same amount of information that could be compressed onto 150 or so pages.

The guides are organized by section, as well. Oh, and this site seems to miss some information, such as maps for most of the areas(Forest excluded), and, frankly, the guide for the offline quests is incomplete. The weapon guide misses some of the basic weapons, and there is no guide that tells you what the frequency of item drops is. The item frequency list in the DC guide really saved my ass. So, for the price of the guide, it is worth it, since you get complete information in one source.

Of course, this site has some information that the guide doesn't have, but nothing's perfect.

ABDUR101
Nov 27, 2002, 05:25 PM
There's constantly being new content added to the guides. Considering this information is free, you can't complain about it not being "printer friendly". You come here, you look over the info, and it's free.

As for printer friendly. Copy/Paste the info you need and print it out in a word document. Want maps? Copy/Paste into image software and print it.

All it takes is alittle comp knowledge and you can do what you want. You can't expect us to make everything hunky-dory for everything. Our job is to make the info available and logged correctly, so what if it isn't printer friendly?

LollipopLolita
Nov 27, 2002, 08:05 PM
i plan to do all the guides from now on on banana leaves, it's organic, it's greenpeace friendly and it's pc, it's eco friendly, it's vegetarian, it doesn't involve killing animals, or stripping fur. you can use it afterwards to store things too, it's recycable. i will make myself a cottage industry!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2002-11-27 17:06 ]</font>

eRUPT
Nov 27, 2002, 08:10 PM
I dunno DJ if you want we'll just remove all the content from the site that way we won't have incompletes right? we just won't have it at all until we have it ALLL. right? that makes sense right? I think so. Plus I need time to transfer the site to banana peels, Hey they smell good in doggie shampooo and they will smell good for pso tooo.

Saladwood
Nov 27, 2002, 08:40 PM
On 2002-11-27 09:14, neko-chan wrote:

no

geewj
Nov 27, 2002, 08:50 PM
On 2002-11-27 13:11, DJ_Monkey wrote:
The guides are organized by section, as well. Oh, and this site seems to miss some information, such as maps for most of the areas(Forest excluded), and, frankly, the guide for the offline quests is incomplete.

Lolita asked me to do the offline quests 2 days ago. So I went home, did 6 quests, came back the next day (since I can only use a computer at school) and typed them, did the maps and gave them to lolita. Then she fixed up the maps, erupt did the coding, and it was put up. And I did more last night so you can expect more soon.

That’s pretty damn good if you ask me. And I'm sure some people are grateful that rather than waiting for every single quest to be finished, they put them up as they get them.

Ill give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didnt know that the offline quests have only been worked on for two days. But still, thats why you dont critizes things without knowing a little bit about them first.

WraithAkaMrak
Nov 27, 2002, 11:30 PM
I didn't intend for this topic to be a debate over the guides at PSOW. I know this site offers a lot of information. I do intend to use the guides here, but I am also interested in the Versus Guide.

Opinions differ, it seems, on the Versus Guide. Some say it's fairly thorough, others say it's not very good. Maybe I'll just have to look at it myself when i can find a copy.

LollipopLolita
Nov 27, 2002, 11:40 PM
yea it went off topic, but i still am doing stuff on banana leaves

Spy
Nov 27, 2002, 11:59 PM
Bananna Leaves or not, I'm sure the guides make a great TP supplement.

Jesus christ. Yet another innocent suggestion gets taken as offensive and harsh criticism. If you guys don't want to make the guides printer friendly a simple "We don't feel there is sufficient need" or "We want people to keep coming back; that is counter-productive" or even "No" would have worked just fine. But instead there's like 7 or 8 sarcastic and unprofessional replies.

"What do you think we do, run a website or something!?"

P.S. A cell-phone compatable PSOW would be, I think the saying around here is, ROCK!

LollipopLolita
Nov 28, 2002, 12:11 AM
look drop it already the psow guides are going to stay the way they are. and if all jokes are taken as sarcasm well then lighten up. this is enough, no one wanted an arguement about psow vs perfect guide book. read the website fine, need the guidebook fine, have it in your lap, whichever one works for you, get that one. there is no need to turn this into yet another look at the mods arguement. it's not always about that.

get both, have all the info you want. then go to mamak and ragol too, be well educated. make everyone happy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2002-11-27 21:12 ]</font>

DJ_Monkey
Nov 28, 2002, 12:25 AM
On 2002-11-27 14:25, ABDUR101 wrote:
There's constantly being new content added to the guides. Considering this information is free, you can't complain about it not being "printer friendly". You come here, you look over the info, and it's free.

As for printer friendly. Copy/Paste the info you need and print it out in a word document. Want maps? Copy/Paste into image software and print it.

All it takes is alittle comp knowledge and you can do what you want. You can't expect us to make everything hunky-dory for everything. Our job is to make the info available and logged correctly, so what if it isn't printer friendly?

Okay...sorry I offended the people who work hard on this site... I wasn't trying to diss your work, but I was making the arguement that it takes less time and work just to get the guide and have all the info right there.

As for the print friendly issue here, I would be willing to help improve things. You could use the current printing function, and have everything orgainzed in a way that maximized the amount of info on the sheet of paper(like in the Monster list, have 2 monster description on the same line instead of 1, would save paper, and make looking for things easier).

Prof_Frink, I guess I didn't realize that you didn't have that much time, and the guides you do have are pretty nice. I didn't even see the guide section until today anyway, so I had no clue that they were only put up a few days ago. Maybe I should do research before acting like a dumbass...

LollipopLolita
Nov 28, 2002, 12:34 AM
right now, we have a lot of work to do, upgrading and updating the database, and building another separate one and other features we're going to introduce to the site. so like i said, for now the guides will stay as they are. we still have to add the maps and quests. we also have to make it web friendly. think about it, we don't work with st and we are not paid, it's all free.

anyhow, why don't you also spend some money and buy the printed guide too, for all your playing needs. this started out as a discussion about the printed guide, so now let's be matured, drop it and get on topic.

BlazingTiger
Nov 28, 2002, 03:32 AM
You guys are doing a great job. Some people don't realize, it's not easy runing a web site... It is free, and it is for YOUR enjoyment. Think about the hard work being put into this site and consider the fact that some of the administration actually have "lives" apart from PSOW. I applaude your efforts even though we may sometimes seem ungrateful...

DJ_Monkey
Nov 28, 2002, 06:20 AM
I wasn't trying to come on as ungrateful, since your guide is very good for the price(and worth at least 10 dollars for all the info). I would be willing to do a few quest guides when I have the time(if no one else offers to do it first).

LollipopLolita
Nov 28, 2002, 04:17 PM
sure dj, any help is appreciated, pm me and let me know