PDA

View Full Version : Oh noes! another

Hresvelgr
Dec 24, 2006, 08:25 AM
After a long time thinking about what system i should get psu for i decided on the pc version in the end. I were quite skeptic about it at first since my computer skills are as good as none.

Also i have been told that my cpu is too crappy in order to be able to run psu, witch i find quite weird when i read the minimum/normal requirements on the sega site -_-'

[System Requirements according to Sega]

[Required]
Windows 2000 (SP4 or later)
CPU Pentium4 1.6Ghz
RAM 256MB 512MB or more
NVIDIA GeForce4 series
ATI Radeon 8500 series

Now, lets take a look at my systems specs shall we?

[Hresvelgr's System spec]
Windows XP SP2 Home Editon
CPU > Amd Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
RAM > 1.00GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (256 MB AGP 8X) card.

Now with all this being said i cannot determine the cause why i should not be able to run psu on my computer? rather than the memory card. So im currently looking into that problem but i would like to hear your opinion. Can i run psu on my cpu untill i can afford a better graphic card?

Also wish to throw in two other quick questions in this thread.

Controler, whats the best controller u can use for a pc? ive heard of variouse gamepads but ive also heard a friend telling me that you can buy an sort of adapter into your USB and connect a ordinary ps2/xbox pad into it? is this true?

If im going to invest into a new graphic card witch once should i go for? im looking for a good card that can run psu rather smoothly in about 1027/x resolution and that has compatibility to connect to the teve. keep in mind that i can only invest something like.. 350-400$ into it :< any help is greatly appriciated.

Also, im intending to run psu on my computer and bypass the screen to my teve through my videocard, my questions is, does this put alot of strain on the videocard by doing this? i dont whant to lower my eyecandy experience just to be able to sit in the couch to play rather by infront of the cpu http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I would like to thank you in advance for being such a supportive and interresting site/forum *thumbs up*

PS: I'am terribly sorry for my english skills, i totaly suck at english so please bare with me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Jaspaller
Dec 24, 2006, 02:18 PM
Your PC looks okay to run PSU. That's close the computer I run it on speedwise. However, I can only run it on 800x600 with the lowest settings to get a good speed but I still get a bit of slowdown on some places. If you are fine with an 800x600 display, then I say go for it. Otherwise you may seriously want to consider a new video card.

KojiroAK
Dec 24, 2006, 07:12 PM
On 2006-12-24 05:25, Hresvelgr wrote:
ontroler, whats the best controller u can use for a pc? ive heard of variouse gamepads but ive also heard a friend telling me that you can buy an sort of adapter into your USB and connect a ordinary ps2/xbox pad into it? is this true?

It's absolutely true.

A quick Google search delivered me this (http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=titanium-xjoy-converter-xbox-pc-usb)

So you should also be able to find a deliverer in Sweden, which has such items in stock.

(joypad converters as keyword should deliver good hits)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KojiroAK on 2006-12-24 16:15 ]</font>

Blitzkommando
Dec 24, 2006, 11:57 PM
You'd be lowering the quality of the output signal just to play on a television. A PAL television, seeing that you are in Sweden I assume you use PAL, runs natively at 576x720 resolution at 50Hz whereas you wish to use 1024x768 at 60Hz. Assuming you don't have a HDTV you would probably get the best results with 640x480 or 800x600 as those will be the closest to your television's output which should reduce the blur that occurs with viewing high resolution content on a low resolution screen. Essentially, you could practically run any card produced in the last two years to run at those resolutions as it is hardly demanding even with high settings because the resolution is so low. Most modern videocards are compatible with using a television as a monitor, albeit like I say at the cost of a very low resolution.

As for your processor, it's a heck of a lot better than many I've seen people use to run PSU as the Athlon 64 architecture is still an excellent architecture and it should provide plenty of performance with PSU.

However, if you are using a HDTV as a computer monitor that is a completely different animal. In that case you could use it at a variety of resolutions, unfortunately, none of which would be native to a HDTV as PSU is only compatible with 4:3 resolution ratios and HDTVs are running in 16:9 (widescreen) ratios. You could have your videocard force proper scaling (meaning adding black bars to the sides of the screen so the image is not stretched) but again the image would be stretched depending on the resolution of the HDTV (either 720x480, 1280x720, or 1920x1080 for the HDTV and the game would be at 640x480, 800x600, or 1280x1024 as the closest to those but obviously each would be stretched or skewed). It's unfortunate as this problem is also there with widescreen monitors as well obviously, where the user can choose to either have the image stretched or to leave black bars on the sides of the screen.

As for controllers, I use an Xbox360 controller myself. They work very well and are natively supported through Windows via USB.

For videocards I suggest a 7300 GT (ONLY the DDR3 version, not the DDR2 version) if you plan on using a standard non-HDTV for playing the game as it will provide plenty of power for that, has the outputs (S-Video, Component, and Composite), and is very cheap although slightly difficult to find. It should be less than $100US.

However, if you are using an HDTV I would suggest something closer to the 7600 GT. (Again, make sure it has DDR3 memory and not DDR2 as there are a couple manufacturers I've seen that have gimped that card with the lower quality video RAM) The 7600GT is quite powerful and is usually less than $150 and should run PSU at any resolution given your processor and memory. However, with it I would suggest using either DVI, HDMI, or the VGA connector on the HDTV as those give the best quality and allow for the higher resolutions which would look fine on such a large monitor (as an HDTV is really more of a monitor than a television).