PDA

View Full Version : Best Album of the Year in all Genres?

DonRoyale
Dec 26, 2006, 03:14 PM
Yeah, we may let the Grammies decide that, but until then, your opinions.

As for me:

Rock-I don't really like rock, but I'd have to say Billy Talent's album was very good. Three singles, all of them potential #1's.

Hip-Hop-A no-brainer, T.I.'s KING album takes it. Four singles, all of them exceptional. <3

Rap-This is a bit of a tough one for me, but I'm going to go with Jay-Z on this one. The Game's return was huge, but Jay's return was even bigger. I love Jay-Z's music more than The Game's as well.

Pop-This is a tough one, but for the pure reason of the number of singles it's put out I'm going to go with Nelly Furtado on this one. Timberlake and the Pussycat Dolls had good albums as well, but Furtado killed it.

R&B-This is possibly the toughest competition ever, between Chris and Mary. Mary takes it, though-Chris may have five singles off of his debut, but Mary has the eight Grammy noms, and 9 Billboard Awards.

Those are the only ones I have opinions on, really. Feel free to share yours.

DizzyDi
Dec 26, 2006, 03:35 PM
RAP AND HIP-HOP ARE THE SAME THING!

DonRoyale
Dec 26, 2006, 03:37 PM
On 2006-12-26 12:35, DizzyDi wrote:
RAP AND HIP-HOP ARE THE SAME THING!

Then I suppose emo and rock are the same thing too, no?

Or goth and emo, for that matter.

Quit making assumptions when you lack the knowledge to back those assumptions up. >>

DizzyDi
Dec 26, 2006, 03:45 PM
You're assuming I don't have the knowledge to back my words up, I do.
I LOVE Hip-Hop. I listen to it 24/7. I've studied the history of it. I frequent hip-hop sites daily. I talk about it all the time to my friends. I envy the best of the rappers out there. Hell, I even write my own songs from time to time. So don't tell me I don't have the knowledge to back it up.
If you want to get real technical with it. Hip-Hop started out as the culture, and Rap was the music of that culture. Hence, Rap was called Hip-Hop music. The two terms are completely interchangable and they don't mean a difference in style of music. TI's album is everybit as Hip-Hop as Jay-Z's.
Hip-Hop is not a softcore version of Rap. There ARE subdivisions of rap music. As in Gansta Rap, Concious Rap (aka Backpacker music), East Coast, West Coast, Down South.
Just like there are subdivisions of rock. As in Emo, Metal, etc.

Dangerous55
Dec 26, 2006, 04:27 PM
Bob Dylan's Modern Times.

UnderscoreX
Dec 26, 2006, 09:28 PM
What is the difference between emo, goth and punk ? Different eye liner for different occasions ?

Neith
Dec 26, 2006, 09:51 PM
On 2006-12-26 18:28, UnderscoreX wrote:
What is the difference between emo, goth and punk ? Different eye liner for different occasions ?

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif Go look up Metal genres... you'll be there forever. In fact, from Wikipedia..

Metal genres- Black metal, death metal, doom metal, folk metal, glam metal, gothic metal, grindcore, industrial metal, metalcore, neo-classical metal, nu-metal (refuse to acknowledge that), power metal, progressive metal, speed metal, symphonic metal, thrash metal, alternative metal, avant garde metal, Celtic metal, Christian metal, classic metal, dark metal, epic metal, extreme metal, groove metal, new-wave British heavy metal, post-metal, rapcore, stoner metal http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif , troll metal, Viking metal..

I havent heard of a lot of those..

Don't think ive bought/obtained many albums from this year, ill have a think and edit my post if I remember.

Nai_Calus
Dec 26, 2006, 11:02 PM
That's nearly as bad as all the different genres of Trance.

Retehi
Dec 26, 2006, 11:12 PM
Industrial album of the year: Psyclon Nine - Crwn Thy Frnicatr.

And what the heck is troll metal?

AC9breaker
Dec 26, 2006, 11:30 PM
On 2006-12-26 12:45, DizzyDi wrote:
You're assuming I don't have the knowledge to back my words up, I do.
I LOVE Hip-Hop. I listen to it 24/7. I've studied the history of it. I frequent hip-hop sites daily. I talk about it all the time to my friends. I envy the best of the rappers out there. Hell, I even write my own songs from time to time. So don't tell me I don't have the knowledge to back it up.
If you want to get real technical with it. Hip-Hop started out as the culture, and Rap was the music of that culture. Hence, Rap was called Hip-Hop music. The two terms are completely interchangable and they don't mean a difference in style of music. TI's album is everybit as Hip-Hop as Jay-Z's.
Hip-Hop is not a softcore version of Rap. There ARE subdivisions of rap music. As in Gansta Rap, Concious Rap (aka Backpacker music), East Coast, West Coast, Down South.
Just like there are subdivisions of rock. As in Emo, Metal, etc.

http://insanityelite.org/forums/images/smiles/bow.gifhttp://insanityelite.org/forums/images/smiles/bow.gifhttp://insanityelite.org/forums/images/smiles/bow.gifhttp://insanityelite.org/forums/images/smiles/bow.gif

Also, Lupe should take best Hip-Hop album of the year.

Hrigg
Dec 26, 2006, 11:31 PM
The Decemberists-The Crane Wife

Best album of the year.

Moo2u
Dec 26, 2006, 11:36 PM
http://www.kidkoala.com/images/mom_cover.gif
I love Kid Koala. Those from Montreal would know him. Those from Canada might have heard of him. Those from anywhere else...I feel bad for ya!

DonRoyale
Dec 26, 2006, 11:51 PM
Lupe for not putting money, cars or women in his raps...

But what about Jibbs? He didn't even swear http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

DizzyDi
Dec 26, 2006, 11:54 PM
Nas takes best Hip Hop album of the year for me.
instant classic in my book.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 27, 2006, 10:40 AM
The Roots:Game Theory

For a group album of the year, for solo I'd say Lupe's Food & Liquor even if he is pretty materialistic in his tracks about what a stylist probably feeds him is in style now (Nike Dunk SB's, Crooks and Castle brand, BAPE, etc.).

Only two CD's I picked up from this year really and I listened to them nonstop. I wouldn't put Nas' record in there for this year's running since he put it out 2 odd weeks before the end of the year, so I'll do it how the awards ceremonies go i that it'll carry over to 2007. I haven't really had more than one playthrough on that myself, and time for it to sink in. He did acknowledge the wait and delays on this album in a track though, heh. I read on another forum that it sold 350K or so the first few days which is crazy in that it has an anti-radio single out and that rap generally doesn't sell well overall for a long time now.

Other people around there also voice their opinion on sigs that say Hip hop is dead if T.I. is winning Rapper of the year awards! I know Outkast said the South got something to say, but I don't tend to hear a lot of good Southern rap lately with all the Young Joc eenie meenie miney mo raps, (please-just terrible.)

The Roots prove again why they're the hip-hop supergroup of producers and emcees. No track is skippable. The album moves seamlessly from track to track with tons of soul. The tribute to JDilla in the outro is very nice. No beef tracks, no duets with Justin Timberlake or other pop stars, no songs about shooting people for the millionth time, just Good Music (to borrow from a title of an old Roots track).

I let Hi-Tek's album slip under my radar earlier, so I'll have to go pick that up next then Mos Def's Tru3 Magic when that comes out. I listened to Hi-Tek and Kweli's Reflection Eternal from 2002 nearly daily since I picked it up, so I'm looking forward to DJ Hi-Tek's followup album. Reflection Eternal also has a track about:

"Nowadays Rap artists coming halfhearted,
commercial like pop or underground like blackmarkets,
where were you the day hip hop died?
Is it too early to mourn?
Is it to late to ride?"

Nas' video for Hip-Hop is dead is really good though with its own story behind it. I watched it through about 3 times on youtube. Classic. Much more going on than Thief's Theme from his 2004 double album which was something similar on more than just the samples of Gadda Da vida.

Shiro_Ryuu
Dec 27, 2006, 11:16 AM
well, lets see..
Death Metal - Cannibal Corpse "Kill"
Power Metal - Hammerfall "Threshold", Rhapsody of Fire "Triumph or Agony", or Blind Guardian "A Twist in the Myth"
J-rock - Dir en Grey "Withering to Death"
J-pop - Aya Kamiki "Secret Code"