PDA

View Full Version : A question for Fan Works lurkers/readers...

CupOfCoffee
Dec 28, 2006, 04:08 AM
Put simply, how many of you would be interested in reading a non-PSO/PSU story? I'm not talking about hard core supporting or even replying to the thread, since I know that's sort of asking a lot (heheh... seriously, I read almost everything that gets put in here, but how often do I actually reply? I know there are others that do this, too). I'm working on a 15-20 chapter affair that may or may not be finished anytime soon, but if I knew that there would be people interested in reading, I'd probably be able to push myself to work a little better harder faster stronger, and when it got to about the halfway point, I'd start posting chapters.

Like I said, I'm well aware that Fan Works is mostly a lurker forum, but that some people do actually read and occasionally even appreciate what's posted. So, if you think maybe you'd be inclined to spend 20 minutes of your day reading a few chapters of non-PSO fiction, please let me know. To let you get an idea of what "non-PSO fiction" constitutes, here's a brief synopsis of the story and its tentative soundtrack. For those who remember or were fans of my darkly comic and occasionally ultra-violent PSO fan fiction, I'll have you know that this one's a little different. It's still got an ominous sci-fi undertone and some awkward Donnie Darko style humor, but for the most part, it's a story about a girl and a boy.

Synopsis:
Haley Hale is smart. Smart enough to know that when her nine-year-old self is rescued from a cruel gang of cruel trick or treating teenagers by a strange woman named Hildegarde who promises to return in two years, something's a little amiss. As middle school comes and goes and Hildegarde's scheduled appearances, cryptic warnings, and unwanted help begin to take on darker and darker tones, Haley struggles to resist the potential her ageless protector insists she must someday realize. Haley's resentment grows as she faces difficult decision after difficult decision and the heartbreaking knowledge of what could have been and, in some parallel worlds, still is.

Soundtrack:
(For those who don't know one or more of these songs and are curious, all of them except "April Tenth" have free 30-second clips you can listen to in the iTunes music store.)

1. Devil Town
Bright Eyes
Noise Floor: Rarities 1998-2005

2. Metal Heart
Cat Power
Moon Pix

3. In My Place
Coldplay
A Rush of Blood to the Head

4. This Place Is a Prison
The Postal Service
Give Up

5. April Tenth
Garbage
Shut Your Mouth (Single)

6. Same ol' Road
Dredg
El Cielo

7. No Surprises
Radiohead
OK Computer

8. The Good That Won't Come Out
Rilo Kiley
The Execution of All Things

9. Psychobabble
Frou Frou
Details

10. Goodbye Pisces
Tori Amos
The Beekeeper

11. Know Your Onion!
The Shins
Oh, Inverted World

12. Now At Last
Feist
Let It Die

13. Take a Bow
Muse
Black Holes & Revelations

As I said before, I'd be perfectly happy with a couple views per chapter--replies would be icing on the cake, but just so long as I know somebody's reading/enjoying/interested/cares the slightest bit, I'd keep posting it. So! Any takers?

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 28, 2006, 04:14 AM
I wouldn't mind reading >.>

Soundtrack? What do you mean by that?

CupOfCoffee
Dec 28, 2006, 04:19 AM
Well, usually when I envision scenes or specific plot points, they're accompanied by music. Also, there are a few parts in the story where a song is actually mentioned to or listened to by one of the characters. Basically, it's to make the whole thing feel more complete and movie-like, even though it's not a movie. Music can enhance the meaning of the words and add a lot to the atmosphere. Someone who's kind of on the fence might be won over if they like the soundtrack, or shoed away if they can tell right away that they could never like any story that associates with said songs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Plus, I like music.

Sgt_Shligger
Dec 28, 2006, 04:21 AM
Hmm. . . Well, I'll get me some of these songs if/when you start posting the story.

Shiro_Ryuu
Dec 28, 2006, 08:32 AM
sure, I don't see why not. and yeah, about the soundtrack, I have an idea of a soundtrack for my own fanfic as well. also, I may in the future plan on writing a non-PSO/U story as well. since you gave me the idea, I may post the soundtrack for my story I'm currently writing as well.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 28, 2006, 11:25 AM
I say, post it. It wouldn't be the first non-Phantasy Star oriented fic posted in Fan Works, and I doubt that it would be the last. After all, if our artists can post non-related art, why not some non-related fiction, as well?

Jehosaphaty
Dec 28, 2006, 12:36 PM
Doit. I especially like the music as moodsetter.

CupOfCoffee
Dec 28, 2006, 12:57 PM
Mmm... alright then, cool. I have four(ish) chapters finished, so in a little while I'll put the first one up and see what comes of it. Thanks, fellas!

Edit--another note about the soundtrack. More than just a collection of songs that are related to the story, I sorta designed it to be like one continuous song, listened to in order, that sets the mood. The ups, downs, emotions, etc. of the story are all "explained," in a way, by the music.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CupOfCoffee on 2006-12-28 10:01 ]</font>

DonRoyale
Dec 28, 2006, 05:12 PM
Sorry, just doesn't tempt me enough.

Mind you, I'm really only into action stories, so sorry, stuff like that doesn't really spark my interest.

I like the idea, and it's a solid story, but it honestly doesn't interest you. And that's not your fault-it's mine. Stories that don't have action in them typically don't interest me.

You've read all my stories (well, most of them). You'd know.

If it were an action story, sure. It'd have to have some fantasy-type setting, though...

But enough about me. I hope your story is successful.

CupOfCoffee
Dec 28, 2006, 05:53 PM
Yeah, it doesn't sound like your particular cup of tea, Serene. That's not to say that there isn't any action or excitement, but the story sticks much closer to the likes of Donnie Darko and The Shining than Kill Bill or True Lies or something like that.

Anyway, the first chapter has been posted.

biggabertha
Dec 28, 2006, 08:07 PM
It's strange how lurkers give silent opinions and never post anything. Maybe it's because we're scared of members going n00b newb nub at us or something but in all honesty, I'd like to think I'm talking on behalf of several lurkers that this would be a great idea. (Also, it's usually at this point in posts that I tend to choose not to post because someone else has already beaten me to the punch but...)

CupOfCoffee
Dec 28, 2006, 09:49 PM
Haha, I know what you mean, biggabertha. A lot of times I'll get, like, halfway through a post and just be like, "Eh, forget it," and hit the back button. I think it's especially important to fight that urge in Fan Works, though, because feedback is way valued 'round these parts. Much moreso than in someplace like PSU general, where any reply you make is likely to be swept away in the endless sea of other replies before you can even click "View posted message."

DizzyDi
Dec 28, 2006, 10:04 PM
This has peaked my interest. Do it.