PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Armors

Sitka
Dec 28, 2006, 07:16 PM
PSU has a plethora of various armors.

According to the guide, GRM specializes in Arm slots and gives moderate DFP and EVP. Yohmei specializes in Head slots and gives high DFP and low EVP. Tenora specializes in Body slots and gives low DFP and high EVP.

I'm trying to understand what might make one armor more preferable to another and in which case you might want to give up something to get something somewhere else.

So, for example, as a cast male Fortegunner, I'm currently using the Teroline with 95 DFP, 143 EVP and 122 MST which has lower stats than a Hardline at 116 DFP, 163 EVP and 143 MST. However, the Teroline has the Arm and Extra slots that the Harline has and has the Body slot where I can put a Mega Wall and costs 115,000 meseta less.

Then, earlier today, I pulled out a synthesized Megaline which I was making for another character. The Megaline is rather average at 63 DFP, 102 EVP and 81 MST and has the Arm and Extra slots, but this one had 48% Fire attribute, so I'm thinking, you know those annoying bots in Temple of Fanatics that spew fire at you, might this help a bit more than my Teroline?

So, I looked ahead and compared some of the 7, 8 and 9 star armors and noticed that several had some pretty interesting extra features.

The Sori-senba, a Yohmei armor, has 155 DFP, 167 EVP, 135 MST, all four slots and an ice attribute to boot. That's the only armor I can see with all four slots, but other three-slotted armors have better stats.

Several of the armors have special set bonuses. Yamata-senba has a set bonus with Yamata-misaki which would be interesting if I knew what that was. Crimsonline has a set bonus with Crimson, but what is Crimson (and no Arm slot so meh).

Others I noticed: Rabol Rad has a set bonus with Mukarad, Rabol Solid has a ground attribute, Rikau-senba has a set bonus with Rikauir, Hiragi-senba gives a TP+ bonus and Rabol Neida gives a Gur Neda bonus.

Has anyone had a chance to try out or research some of the different armor possibilities and come up with some conclusions on which armors might be the best for say a cast male fortegunner or a beast female fortefighter or a female newman fortetecher just to give a few possibilities?

Any way, just curious what the thoughts are on this topic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sitka on 2006-12-28 16:39 ]</font>

Dymalos
Dec 28, 2006, 07:52 PM
For Ranger or Force types, it's in their best interest to prefer Evasion over Defense. The reason for this is simple, evading an attack for these classes carries no consequence. That being said a Fortetecher has a very poor Defense stat and would have problems qualifying for a Tenora Works shield line. A Hunter type is going to want Defense over Evasion because when a Hunter evades an attack while performing a photon art, the combo is broken and their PP is spent. A Cast is going to want a GRM armor because these almost always have an Extra slot and usually come with higher Ment and allows them to overcome their racially poor MST.

Ultimately, what matters most is elemental rating, and that is why I like to carry multiple shield lines. I have a Rabol Tero, a Teroline, a Gigaline, and a Te-Senba with Dark, Lightning, Fire, and Light element respectively. Once I get some more carbons I'll probably make myself an Earth armor but as for Ice, I find this to be the worst element because there are no areas where you encounter only ice monsters without also having fire creatures present.

Finally, if you're considering a shield line for a set bonus, consider the Phantomline which has a bonus with the 9* Phatom rifle.

Oh and by the way, Misaki type weapons are Claws.

Sitka
Dec 28, 2006, 08:03 PM
On 2006-12-28 16:52, Dymalos wrote:
For Ranger or Force types, it's in their best interest to prefer Evasion over Defense. The reason for this is simple, evading an attack for these classes carries no consequence. That being said a Fortetecher has a very poor Defense stat and would have problems qualifying for a Tenora Works shield line. A Hunter type is going to want Defense over Evasion because when a Hunter evades an attack while performing a photon art, the combo is broken and their PP is spent. A Cast is going to want a GRM armor because these almost always have an Extra slot and usually come with higher Ment and allows them to overcome their racially poor MST.

Ultimately, what matters most is elemental rating, and that is why I like to carry multiple shield lines. I have a Rabol Tero, a Teroline, a Gigaline, and a Te-Senba with Dark, Lightning, Fire, and Light element respectively. Once I get some more carbons I'll probably make myself an Earth armor but as for Ice, I find this to be the worst element because there are no areas where you encounter only ice monsters without also having fire creatures present.

Finally, if you're considering a shield line for a set bonus, consider the Phantomline which has a bonus with the 9* Phatom rifle.

Oh and by the way, Misaki type weapons are Claws.

You, sir, are a font of valuable information.

I can also say that you have played this game A LOT to have gained so many valuable/expensive items in the time since PSU launched on xbox360.

I look forward to catching up with you this weekend.

SolomonGrundy
Dec 28, 2006, 09:22 PM
Also, let's not forget, armor is just another tool in the toolshed. I have lightning, fire, and light, and dark armors. (so far there had been no need for ice or ground armors).

Doing dragon runs at low level? get yourself some fire armor! Doing some linear line? Slap on the megids armor.

The only slots you *need* as a ranger are extra slots. AN Amror can have high enough DFP that another armor with lower DFP and a body slot STILL would not catch up. And as far as arm slots go - you have the best ATP/ATA in the game. Probably, these are the last things you are concerned about

So, head and extra slots, FTW, and keep a supply of elements in the bank...

oh, and regarding set bonuses. YOu carry 6 weapons at least, probably 7. unless 2 of them are set amtched I would nto bother, you won't be getting the bonus for most of the time!

Axel3792
Dec 28, 2006, 11:12 PM
On 2006-12-28 16:16, Sitka wrote:
but what is Crimson

An S-Rank saber from GRM. It has a flame effect (and attribute, lol) on it, so it looks all flaming-sword-of-justice-ish.

There is also a dual-saber version called Dual-Headed Ragnos...

_Deliverance_
Dec 29, 2006, 11:59 AM
I'd have to disagree on the Ice armor bashing. My Gi senba has come in pretty handy on Mizuraki S. The worms rarely spit fire, and when they do, it's not too bad of a hit. Whereas if you get hit with a barta and get frozen, you can bet on getting hit by a few more before you can get out of the way.

Gamemako
Dec 29, 2006, 02:25 PM
Does anybody have an English source on set bonuses?