PDA

View Full Version : NPCs and mistranslated names?

VulpesMundi
Nov 26, 2002, 06:12 PM
After playing PSO for so long I've been picking up some Japanese (at least I was on the DC). I've also figured out how to properly use the romaji of L and R and how they can often get mixed up, as well as how some letters tend to go silent and get removed in the translation. Going thru all the quests again I came to realize that a number of the NPCs have somewhat mistranslated names, or at least it appears that way to me. Following I'll list names as they appear and then what I think the real translation should have been.

NOL -> NOLA or NORA (either would have worked).
KROE -> CLOE or CHLOE (pronounced klO-E, sounds like glow).
MATHA -> MARTHA (no explaination needed).
BLANT -> BRANT (maybe even BRENT - phonetics are iffy sometimes).
GALLON -> GARON (they actually used to have this correct in the ver.2 quest Garon's Treachery and Garon does appear in the beginner quest Magnitude of Metal).

I think there were more, but I can't remember at the moment. Just thought this was interesting to point out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2002-11-26 15:33 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2002-11-26 23:19 ]</font>

Barubary6
Nov 26, 2002, 06:33 PM
On 2002-11-26 15:12, VulpesMundi wrote:
KROE -> KLOE pronounced klO-E (sounds like glow).
MATHA -> MARTHA
GALLON -> GARON (they actually used to have this correct in the ver.2 quest Garon's Treachery.

Not to mention that Garon was in the offline Version 1 quest Magnitude of Metal as "Garon".

-- Barubary

Kayumi
Nov 27, 2002, 01:54 AM
I've always figured Kroe was supposed to be Chloe. I noticed Garon, though.

Sedric
Nov 27, 2002, 02:36 AM
Do I smell the "old-skool PS series translation mix up" happening again???