Conversation Between Harlocke and Nymeria

10 Visitor Messages

1. Yeah, it was a great movie. I really liked the textures; Mereda's (the main character) hair was so realistic! I was just wondering because it made me so curious as to look up what kind of software Pixar uses. Apparently it's called Renderman. If I read correctly, it's an extension of sorts of Maya but with a lot of extra features and more power(?) There is actually a commercial version of it too! It's waaay expensive, of course. Totally out of reach for the time being...

The more I think about it though, I doubt that the commercial version and the version of the software they actually use in the studio are that similar. I mean, Pixar wouldn't want to give away all their tricks and secrets, would they?

Enough, about that, though. So you're feeling burnt out, huh? It's nothing to worry about; it happens to a lot of folks. Take a break and relax. You'll get back into it eventually, or maybe you'll try something new! ...That's all I got; I'm no good at pep talk, haha. Anyway, I'm kinda' burnt out from looking for functional animation freeware, lol. I decided I'm going to stick with sketching and creating characters for now. Much drawing practice is in order.

I haven't actually watched The Legend of Korra; I didn't really get into The Last Airbender series. I do have to say that the flying bison are pretty kewl. They kinda remind of Falcor from The NeverEnding Story for some reason.
  2. I'm a bit burnt out as far as anything with 3D animation goes at the moment, to be honest. The idea of seeing more computer animation lately makes my skin crawl. I think it's a temporary thing, because I still enjoy classical animation. I've been enjoying watching The Legend of Korra lately.

...but Brave... it's something that I would normally jump to see but right now I have almost no interest in it. ^_^'
  3. Nope not yet, why? Did you like it?
  4. Hey Nymeria! Did you happen to see the movie Brave?
  5. The main thing is that if you can enjoy your job, you've got it made. I wanted to be an animator since I was a kid and I don't regret it despite any rocky times. The fact that you really enjoyed animation as an elective is a really good sign that it might be a fun job for you. :3
  6. I PM'd you with a bunch of info! I hope it's helpful, and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm happy to help out an aspiring animator any way I can ^_^
  7. Well, I originally wanted to go into animation when I entered college, but took something else (Video Communications) thinking that the fields were similar enough. Not quite, haha. The school actually offered animation as an elective--which I took and did quite well in. I enjoyed it very much too! I stopped after my first year as I wasn't in content with my major.

I've been into animation since I was a child--well, at that time in particular I wanted to be a cartoonist. I actually still have some of the "comics" I made as a kid. They're pretty silly when I look at them now but they serve as a source of inspiration (I guess, lol). Anyway, I've decided that this time around when I get back into college, I will take animation as my focus as it what I really enjoy doing.

So, my question is what was it like when you first entered the industry? If you have any experience or pointers that you wouldn't mind sharing, that'd be great! And sure, what shows have you worked on if you don't mind telling me?

Thanks for the response!
  8. LOL omg your profile pic just blew my mind XD
    If you're curious to know which specific shows I've worked on lemme know and I'll pm you the list.

And how about you, what are you into?
  9. O hi

Sure thing - I've been working in the animation industry for going on 6 years now. Mostly I've been animating on TV shows for really young children (toddler-preschool). Eventually I'd love to work on something more aimed at the age range of Gargoyles/X-Men/Batman etc... but I don't see that happening for a while. Might get into video game animation or feature animation someday but for now I'm enjoying being full-time at my current job. It's hard to find a full-time (non-contract) position in this industry. :3
  10. Hello there!

I'm just a bit curious as to how long you've been into animation and what kind of animation you do?
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 10