Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

On 2007-02-15 12:23, Zorafim wrote:
    Though since it's been a while, I may need a suggestion for a team. Would Rolf/Rudo/Anna/Amy work? Or should I try one of the other members in there as well?
    That is precisely the party the game will expect you to have at the end of the game. If you want to save some time on levelling, it's probably good to keep this party as much as possible.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Good, I don't like the fact of having a character that can only work if a certain type of enemy is fighting me. Beyond that, I think the party is pretty well balanced with those characters.

Erm, I was just playing through a new game, and thought of everything ahead of me, and then said "**** it" and loaded my old file. I remember what's happened so far, all I needed was something to jog my memory of what happened. Using that PS site posted earlier, I pimped out my characters and barely got through the yellow dam. I think I'll go from there.
    But hot damn do I miss Nei.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zorafim on 2007-02-20 21:25 ]</font>

Phantasy Star IV is my favorite game in the series. I bought the Sega MegaDrive ( Genesis ) Collection on the PSP just so I could play this game.

I keep hearing great things about Phantasy Star II but the game hasn't aged very well and I find it very tedious to play. I own the the Phantasy Star collection on the GBA and I haven't even gotten to past the first dungeon yet ( after all these years ). I seem to spend all my time leveling up and still they don't seem like they are strong enough to make it through.

I haven't spent much time on Phantasy Star III so I can't really comment on this game but initail play throughs seme to suggest that it can be just as slow paced as PSII.

Phantasy Star II is a very difficult game, and levelling is crucial. You'll spend more time levelling than playing through actual events. It was tedious way back then, too, but it was the best, most awesome thing ever, despite that. Try taking advantage of enemies that duplicate themselves, such as the Blastoids found in Climatrol (these are the best, in fact; they offer more experience than any other duplicating mob you find up to Climatrol, and possibly beyond that point, too). You get full experience for each of these guys you kill, and it's possible to hit the maximum experience you can obtain from a single fight (65,535) by farming these things.

Phantasy Star III is perhaps a little bit better about levelling than Phantasy Star II, but the mobs tend to be more challenging. Phantasy Star III tends to have both the best and worst of everything-- the best theme music, the worst battle theme, the best graphics, the worst animation, the most complicated story, the worst articulation of said story, etc. It's still well worth the play, though you'll quickly discover that the game is wildly different from the others, and the connection to the previous two isn't revealed until toward the end. It's worth it though, to try to see all four endings (despite the immense amount of time this will take), as the parallels of events can become quite interesting to examine. The game offers you the opportunity to see how the simple decision of who to marry impacts the rest of the world.

It's true that the games haven't really aged well, but their settings and stories stand the test of time rather better than their gameplay. The original, though, is certainly an exception. Strangely, Phantasy Star's game play has remained very playable, even to this day.

The original Phantasy Star is still my favorite RPG ever. I admit that it may partially be due to nostalgia, but it's still a game anyone calling themselves an RPG fan should have played already. Multiple times, even. I still play it once or twice a year, and I still love it. It makes me feel like it's 1989 all over again.

Leveling up is important, huh? Leveling is something I never do anymore. I tend to just overprepare and hope I get to the end. However, I am noticing that it's getting more difficult to do that now, even though my characters are rather pimped out equipment wise. Heh, I hope I can make it to the end without grinding for exp...

Phantasy Stars are interesting in that overpreparation tends to be more a requirement than other RPGs. it's funny when some people look at FAQ walkthroughs and see recommendations to buy 'x' equipment, a way to egress back, and 'as many burgers/mate as you can hold.' it seems silly and unnecessary at first to buy all those healing items. but considering some dungeons need a little leveling just to go between floors without dying horribly, you learn real fast that it's some of the best advice you'll get. tends to save you $ and time, instead of piping back and forth, let alone going too far and dying.

a lot of current RPGs allow you to get away with quite a lot that i'm still not used to. that's why i'm surprised people grind up their levels so high, considering how easy the games are (and often how redundant the combat is). Phantasy Star is old school in the sense that it wasn't the flashy battles that made you feel like you were accomplishing something, it was the thrill of pushing a little farther into dangerous and unknown territory riding on the last of your tenuous thread of safety. but, that style is admittedly lengthy and repetative, which explains a bit why it is no longer en vogue.
    "Do you still think I'm scrumptious?" -- Rimururu, Samurai Showdown 4

One thing about Phantasy Star 3 was that during it's initial development it was not even a part of the Phantasy Star series. They switched gears towards the end of creating another RPG and gave the items PS-related names, etc. Even though that was the case, I was still amazed by PS3 when it came out and really put in a lot of hours playing it.

Phantasy Star II was the first of the series I played... my mother paying the retail price of $82.95 (I'm not kidding) for it. I played that game over a year before I beat it and found it simply amazing. The only thing I didn't like about it was spending MANY hours killing dragons in the last castle before fighting the mother brain so I could have a high enough leveled party.

After having played PS 2 and 3... one day I found an old Sears catalog laying around with Master System games in it. I had recently traded my gameboy with all of the games I had for it for a Master System. I couldn't believe that around '92 they STILL had Phantasy Star available! I played it all the way up to somewhere around Dezo. After later selling my games because the Master System died on me, I got the PS collection for Sega Saturn and played through PS1 in Japanese, learning a little along the way and had a blast... it was a great game to throw in and bore friends that I wanted to get out of my room. I got all the way to the final boss... needed a little more leveling for Noah... never finished.

I love Phantasy Star IV but I've never taken the time to play very far into it. Its interface is nice and clean and fast.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jizaboz on 2007-02-23 06:16 ]</font>

On 2007-02-22 11:12, Zorafim wrote:
    Leveling up is important, huh? Leveling is something I never do anymore. I tend to just overprepare and hope I get to the end. However, I am noticing that it's getting more difficult to do that now, even though my characters are rather pimped out equipment wise. Heh, I hope I can make it to the end without grinding for exp...
    If you don't stop to grind at some point, Rolf will be around level 28 or so when you get to Dark Force.

At which point...

Dark Force. Will. Kick. Your. Ass.

Seriously. Rolf doesn't get his last technique, Megid, until level 35, and Megid in Phantasy Star II isn't some willy-nilly, nyah nyah, drop or I'll hurl another purple ball at you, like it is in PSO and PSU. In Phantasy Star II, Megid is a huge explosion that does massive damage to EVERYTHING ON THE SCREEN-- including your own party. The only one safe from it is Rolf.

So yeah, it's probably best to try to get some leveling done early on.

Poopies...